Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Passing off the mic: What's your favorite genre of simlit? Or even stories in general? Is there a mismatch there?

So I don't really engage in fantasy outside of sims stories due to lack of interest/not growing up with it, but I love it in sims stories that incorporate fantasy or sci-fi elements. I think it being a native part of the game helps "sell" it.

I enjoy fantasy and sci-fi. I also enjoy a good mystery/suspense. When SimLit combines all of the above, even better! :smiley: I'm a huge fan of worldbuilding that unfolds naturally in story.

Anything by @RipuAncestor is amazing, but especially Chrysanthemum Tango! Can't recommend Rip's stuff enough. :heart: Rip's stories inspired me to write my own SimLit supernatural, fantasy, and mystery stories.

I'm really enjoying Freja64's The Grey Witches for a good supernatural family story. And I've already mentioned @mercuryfoam's Between Two Worlds, and others here have mentioned (and I'll jump on the bandwagon), @_sims_Yimi's Tales of Camelot. Both are highly recommended.

I tend to read/write more slice-of-life (SOL) in SimLit, something I don't really read outside the Sims. SimLit SOL stories are the ones that tend to surprise me in the sense that I'm surprised I enjoy them so much.

Maybe it's because we all play the same game and therefore I connect/ bond over the use of the same platform to tell so many different and imaginative stories.

Maybe it's because everyday life is relatable, and I grow so invested in the characters as a result (anything by @CathyTea - like Rip, CT inspired me to try slice-of-life in SimLit and her works make me think introspectively and leave me feeling like I've curled up with a hot cup of tea and a blanket in front of a warm fire).

I would also say anything by @LegacySims2017, @Skeilah's Ridley Residence, @Duvelina's Too Good at Goodbyes, etc... my list could go on forever, but those are more recent reads.

Outside SimLit, mystery/ crime is what I tend to read and some fantasy novels. I actually have a friend who is an author/publisher and specializes in speculative fiction (i.e. supernatural, futuristic, or other imaginative elements). This is the genre I most enjoy writing too.

To build on @InfraGreen's question, Writers, do you enjoy reading and writing the same genre or style? Or do you switch it up?
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    I think I like what is called the "diary cursed" stories @CitizenErased14 's story is the one which got called it first. But then I also enjoy using other methods of story-telling (Songs/newspaper/letters) in my own SimLit
    6adMCGP.gif
    I kind of have two SimLit questions for my story:

1.I going to introduce some new characters in Gen 4 teen years. But the only family has 3 teens and I only want one (female) teen, Harper to stay around for Gen 6 arch period (not that she will still be a teen there) and I'm going to be sending the other two siblings off to a fictional event in my story. Now if I have them have kiddos.. should they been raised by Aunt Harper?

2. How much would a private school/private school board care/not care about a 4th child in a household not attending school?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member

I would also say anything by @LegacySims2017, @Skeilah's Ridley Residence, @Duvelina's Too Good at Goodbyes, etc... my list could go on forever, but those are more recent reads.

Awww shucks. Thank you.

Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
    @PitlordMaggie I feel like "legacy" has become its own genre or a modification to x/y/z genre. Like with being forced to pass the POV torch along or expand the cast in a way that'd be unreadable in traditional fiction. Nothing wrong with how hyper-specific some of these things can be I suppose!

I can see how legacy has become it's own genre, but I disagree that it doesn't have it's traditional counterpart. The Legend of the Ice People follows a people through generations, even though magic is involved I think of it more as about the family. But it's been ages since I read it and I didn't complete all the books :*

Perhaps this genre isn't well know outside of Scandinavia? :|

I've read a few family sagas where the POV changes over the course of at least 3-4 generations. Not sure I've ever seen 10. :p I think I've even seen a counterpart to the SimLit neighborhood rotational stories in an anthology of stories set in the same town/place but following different families. Television shows do this also. Perhaps the visual aid of the Sims games (and television in general) allow for this type of storytelling more readily.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    To build on @InfraGreen's question, Writers, do you enjoy reading and writing the same genre or style? Or do you switch it up?

No mismatch for me, it's fantasy aaaaall the way. I also try to keep my characters realistic but to be honest, I don't understand people as well as I'd like to :D

I explain the fact that my sims port around with the use of alien technology. It's hinted at quite late in the chapters. So I suppose mine falls under the sci-fi subgenre.

I explain it away in several ways. Like... I ignore the moving between lots in the same world. I treat it like open world in TS4, just like TS3. Sometimes I restrict gameplay/storytelling to a single town/world. Jumping between towns? I have a map of my world and certain towns/worlds are grouped together so it makes sense to be able to travel to them just like we would in real life. But for further travel, I'd probably mention a plane/train/ship in passing. I do have other explanations at times. Like the witches/enchanters use portal technology. My aliens, the Kr'v, have the ability to teleport at will.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Putting an invisible object like an invisible toilet on top of seating will prevent sims from sitting there. Because boy do sims love to sit.

On the flip side and for the other game, enabling moviemakercheats in TS3 lets you shift-click a sim and disable their autonomy so they stay seated. Because boy they like to stand? The other alternative is using an "attention catcher", a.k.a. a scene-appropriate object cloned from a TV so sims can watch it while seated, which they tend to do uninterrupted.

These are gold!! Thank you, @InfraGreen! I seriously need this in both games. :smiley:

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    I know it's not Q&A day but I have a question for everyone:

Do you ever revisit old bookmarked threads and re-read the stories even if they are no longer active?

I just went through all my bookmarks and I've found stories that were abandoned but had some much potential and I really enjoyed them at the time. Kind of makes me nostalgic and sad at the same time. How do you feel?

I've done that. I was recently updating my reading list. I only have a set number of "active" stories, but I always have those that I plan to revisit again someday waiting in the wings. It makes me sad when stories just "disappear." Like the writer takes the thread/blog down and I can't find it anymore, especially when it had a lot of potential. I mean, I'm guilty of disappearing on occasion and not writing for a long time, but I still hope to one day revisit stories. Those I have "hidden" will eventually receive a rewrite, but if someone commented/messaged me, I'd make the original versions available again. So long way around your question, yes, I do feel nostalgic and sad when stories are abandoned and deleted.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest

Do you ever revisit old bookmarked threads and re-read the stories even if they are no longer active?

I just went through all my bookmarks and I've found stories that were abandoned but had some much potential and I really enjoyed them at the time. Kind of makes me nostalgic and sad at the same time. How do you feel?

I've done that. I was recently updating my reading list. I only have a set number of "active" stories, but I always have those that I plan to revisit again someday waiting in the wings. It makes me sad when stories just "disappear." Like the writer takes the thread/blog down and I can't find it anymore, especially when it had a lot of potential. I mean, I'm guilty of disappearing on occasion and not writing for a long time, but I still hope to one day revisit stories. Those I have "hidden" will eventually receive a rewrite, but if someone commented/messaged me, I'd make the original versions available again. So long way around your question, yes, I do feel nostalgic and sad when stories are abandoned and deleted.

Goodness, same. When I came back from a two year break I found that many blogs I was following have been silent for a long time, or just gone. I loved those stories. I was devastated.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited January 2021

Not bookmarks here but I will go back and read old stories on Carl's forum because I have a lot of unruined nostalgia there (I've been a member since time immemorial or 2012, take your pick). 2020 was quite a year for that, I guess we're all looking for simple comforts. :pensive: I end up missing a lot of the people I haven't talked to in years. I made and lost contact with a lot of these people before everyone was gathering on Discord as a second home so it's pretty sad. At least I'll always be stuck with you guys! (And that's fine, just wish it was everyone)

I read through Second Chances by my old friend Raia like five times, which is weird because it's not exactly the kind of story I'm craving nowadays. But she was a sweetheart and I'm sad her writing muse left her and all. And on the flip side, there's The Hideous Dynasty for the greatest uglacy that almost was. The author of that may or may not have run into me on Facebook so at least everyone's alive.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr

Thanks for building, bud!

I'm pretty alright with switching between fantasy and realistic-ish stories. Though No Stars Over Uptown was almost about a cult and paranormal happenings with the same dynamics. Most of what I do is based off challenges so I have to think to myself what the best route is for the challenge in question. Some are more open-ended than others so it's just my choice and all. I have two I wanna do for TS4: The Dear Diary challenge which can easily be handled as realism (people do indeed write diaries huh), and the Rival Dynasties challenge which can also be on the more realistic side, but it has four occult-based routes you can take with your three bloodlines and I wanna jump right into at least a couple of those.

outrun / blog / tunglr
    MadameLee wrote: »

1.I going to introduce some new characters in Gen 4 teen years. But the only family has 3 teens and I only want one (female) teen, Harper to stay around for Gen 6 arch period (not that she will still be a teen there) and I'm going to be sending the other two siblings off to a fictional event in my story. Now if I have them have kiddos.. should they been raised by Aunt Harper?

2. How much would a private school/private school board care/not care about a 4th child in a household not attending school?

1. There are a lot of reasons for an aunt to raise their nieces and nephews. I love untraditional families. Just handwave it with "and no one but Harper wanted to be a parent" and I'll eat that up. (but in all seriousness: death, deemed unfit by the courts, parents or children running away, another one of your characters gets kidnapped, etc.)

2. Like personally not attending theirs? I've known plenty of families who ended up with mixed schooling situations and it wasn't a scandal. I had a friend who's younger sister dropped out of high school while she was being a model college student. I'm sure someone had snide remarks but they never reached me. I just wished everyone the best.

outrun / blog / tunglr
    MadameLee wrote: »

1. There are a lot of reasons for an aunt to raise their nieces and nephews. I love untraditional families. Just handwave it with "and no one but Harper wanted to be a parent" and I'll eat that up. (but in all seriousness: death, deemed unfit by the courts, parents or children running away, another one of your characters gets kidnapped, etc.)

2. Like personally not attending theirs? I've known plenty of families who ended up with mixed schooling situations and it wasn't a scandal. I had a friend who's younger sister dropped out of high school while she was being a model college student. I'm sure someone had snide remarks but they never reached me. I just wished everyone the best.

and for Number 1) It's it will create more "work" for Jay during the teen years when he's forced to be a Cinderella figure in the story.

2. Yeah something like that. In Gen 6. Selene is supposed to be living with her distant cousins, Raven and Raven's husband (who is also a cousin on the Swanson side) and their child Sara Wendy Grant for "plot reasons". But due to "the curse", Raven dies leaving Sergio (in this case Sergio II), as a widower, who remarries again to a woman Vienne who has two daughters of their own. Sergio/Sergio II dies as well leaving Vienenne to raising 4 girls. For some reason (I'm not sure what the reason is)..she favours her own daughters of course, treats the step-daughter Sara Wendy nicely (but gives her the smallest room in the renovated house) but puts Selene "foster child" in the attic but treats her like Cinderella. I'm thinking of having Sara Wendy as well as Vienne's own daughters Leah and Denise being sent to private school. But in-story I have a scene where someone comes to check about this mystery child that Sara Wendy keeps talking about whom Vienne is keeping from the school (of any kind not that the people know that). So that's why I'm asking about how much would private school care about a child not attending their school?
    6adMCGP.gif
    Randomness... just downloaded the Paranormal Stuff Pack.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif

Ooh, make sure to give me a review. I'm considering getting it.

Ooh, make sure to give me a review. I'm considering getting it.

The loading screen has funny sayings. That's a plus.

I probably won't force play any of it yet. Maybe someone who is purposely playing the "stuff" that came with it can give you a more decent review.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    yeah got paranormal stuff. i 've been in my favorite chair since monday cause mom decided to wash my kitchen floor. tonight i have a ace bandage so s little better.
    What's your favorite genre of simlit? Or even stories in general? Is there a mismatch there?

i love comedy cathtea calls it my comfort zone. but i told ayden no exactly one time and got pushed no shoved into drama. he must not have liked the word. he threw up in response.
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member

Not really, though I probably should. And now you reminded my of an old TS3 blog I used to love way way back in the day, before I was even active on the forums, FuryRed Says. I just did some digging and half her stuff is gone, but there's still bits left so maybe I'll treat myself to a blast from the past later tonight :D
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    ...The author of that may or may not have run into me on Facebook so at least everyone's alive.

That's the scariest thing isn't it? I mean most of the time they probably just left, got busy, didn't want to write anymore. But you never know! I always hope everyone I knew online once or whenever is alive and well.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,222 Member
    One more chapter for Life Is Random.

4.2 Adulting
    image.png
    SimTresa wrote: »

4.2 Adulting

adulting is overrated.i do like the part where you can have cookies before dinner. :)
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    SimTresa wrote: »

4.2 Adulting

adulting is overrated.i do like the part where you can have cookies before dinner. :)

It's the best and the worst part about being an adult :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top