Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    gc6164 wrote: »
    I'm pretty worried about the world, it looks like there is a lot of set deco and from the trailer I could pick about 4 useable lots. I don't understand why we can't have more lots in this game when it isn't an open world :disappointed:

Anyway other than that I don't have many things to nitpick about this pack which is a good sign, (could change after the livestream) however I did notice the ice cream at the rabbit-hole amusement park seems to be re-used from the cool kitchen stuff pack. I'm ok with them re-using certain things and we've seen it a lot recently but it kinda makes that pack which wasn't all too great to begin with feel more redundant.
    Also that balloon arch at the prom is poorly modelled and reminds me of the early days of the Sims 4 lol.

There are at least seven lots which were built by community creators. There could be more lots though, as I suspect this is a large world given that it's an EP and there were quite a lot of teens in the trailer who appear to be part of the world.
    I am happy about the icecream, hopefully there are new flavours , also it's sold in cones instead of bowls. Sometimes you just want to buy an icecream and eat it without going through a host and waiter.

A map was leak its not confirmed,but if it is .Its confirm to have 13 lots .The school seems to be a lot.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Honestly, Im kind of surprised that there isn't an art club. Like no band or theater? That's unfortunate. No artsy club at all? ???

Like painting is usually the default "art" activity option and is a staple for schools (even for STEM oriented ones) so I'm confused.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Yeah I don't know about a single person IRL that did ANY pranks in high school. Or school, period. Another "Hollywood" thing?
    I pulled pranks. I got a kitten elected as school president, before The Man threw out the votes.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I pulled pranks. I got a kitten elected as school president, before The Man threw out the votes.

It would have been funny if the kitten was allowed.

Your new school president is Mr. Tiddles! 😂 🐱

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'm not going to say too much about this pack since I really don't know much as I couldn't bring myself to find out more after seeing the thirty-year-old looking guy having a shave in the trailer. :/ Immersion breaking for these Sims to look so much older than I want teens to look.

Yes, in real life some had full beards but not many. The problem is with this game and teens being as big and or looking like adults there are no other looks for teens in TS4. In high school, yes there are those guys and gals who we might believe is twenty-five with all that makeup and beards etc. However, there are those ninth graders who haven't grown five inches over a summer and have baby faces and much smaller bodies than maybe a senior. That is where the immersion goes out the window because TS4 just can't bring that to life. It's why so many of us ask for at least shorter teens so we can say, oh, that's a teen....not my college professor of twenty-six.

I have a general complaint. I love animations, I want more animations in any game. Slot popping is not my idea of fun. However, it seems TS4 sometimes, is treated like it's the first to ever invent the wheel. Take the ability of a Sim high school kid being able to sit on the bed with crossed legs< I read a lot of excitement and squealing about that. Yay!!!

Ok, yes, yay! but why is anything like that cheered so much when Sims have been doing that since The Sims twenty-two years ago. It wasn't teens in that game, but kids. And so did the kids in TS2. I don't remember if it was a thing in TS3 but here we are twenty two years later and something that was just part of Sims acting and looking human is cheered in TS4 as if they invented the wheel. Sigh.

It shows how much animation is not in this game if others have to believe this is something 'new' in the series. It should have always been there since it had already been done twenty-two years ago. But I digress.

And one more observation, did they rewatch a rerun of Lost Boys? There wasn't a carnival in my hometown where all of us highschooler kids hung out. I'm not sure I get the connection of carnival equals high school hang out.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

I use mods to keep the phones away from the sims as much as possible so I wonder how much of the pack that is phone-driven. Hyping up clothes, messing back and forth, being able to put up likes for clothe styles is not my cup of tea. I am much more into StrangerVille, Djungle Adventures and so on. Not the end of the world, might be someone else that is very very interested in hyping up clothes and then they get to do that in this pack. I am happy updating my mods after downloading Werewolves, hope people will have fun with it.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,855 Member
    edited July 2022
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Having only clubs for cheerleading, football, chess and computers really leave nothing for the more artsy students. We'd probably have to use Get Together to make any other kinds of clubs.

That's a big disappointment. No matter what career I choose for my sims everyone of them either paints or does photography as a hobby. Even on the rare occasions in the past where I played a sim from childhood it was something I started them doing as children and carried it throughout their lives. I was really really hopeful that we'd have arts clubs without using Get Together. Maybe we'll have the chance to make our own school clubs but I'm not holding my breath.

It feels like Get Together clubs are now the default options for most clubs instead of making them part of the gameplay for the packs. That just cheats us out of a deeper connection. Some clubs are really integral to the theme and arts was huge in my high school experience. It is a world of compromises, I just wish that wasn't always the default compromise.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm not going to say too much about this pack since I really don't know much as I couldn't bring myself to find out more after seeing the thirty-year-old looking guy having a shave in the trailer. :/ Immersion breaking for these Sims to look so much older than I want teens to look.

Yes, in real life some had full beards but not many. The problem is with this game and teens being as big and or looking like adults there are no other looks for teens in TS4. In high school, yes there are those guys and gals who we might believe is twenty-five with all that makeup and beards etc. However, there are those ninth graders who haven't grown five inches over a summer and have baby faces and much smaller bodies than maybe a senior. That is where the immersion goes out the window because TS4 just can't bring that to life. It's why so many of us ask for at least shorter teens so we can say, oh, that's a teen....not my college professor of twenty-six.

I have a general complaint. I love animations, I want more animations in any game. Slot popping is not my idea of fun. However, it seems TS4 sometimes, is treated like it's the first to ever invent the wheel. Take the ability of a Sim high school kid being able to sit on the bed with crossed legs< I read a lot of excitement and squealing about that. Yay!!!

Ok, yes, yay! but why is anything like that cheered so much when Sims have been doing that since The Sims twenty-two years ago. It wasn't teens in that game, but kids. And so did the kids in TS2. I don't remember if it was a thing in TS3 but here we are twenty two years later and something that was just part of Sims acting and looking human is cheered in TS4 as if they invented the wheel. Sigh.

It shows how much animation is not in this game if others have to believe this is something 'new' in the series. It should have always been there since it had already been done twenty-two years ago. But I digress.

And one more observation, did they rewatch a rerun of Lost Boys? There wasn't a carnival in my hometown where all of us highschooler kids hung out. I'm not sure I get the connection of carnival equals high school hang out.

I think you be fair its call" High school years".Its not call just high school.Its not just about high school it's about teenagers.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I think it's more like people are happy that they finally did the animation to sit with crossed legs, not that it was a completely new thing that had never been in the Sims games before? They are so stingy with everyday animations like this that when something finally gets added it feels a bit like a Winterfest which is actually really sad. There should be more animations like this. I really hope the sitting cross-legged animation will be in base game update and not just in a 40e pack. Though I'm not too hopeful.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited July 2022
    Mom: Jerry get up! you're going to be late for school
    Jerry getting ready for school

so joke aside the pack looks pretty good, I just wish the teens didn't look like we're sending 40 year olds to highschool for the first time :D

FWgxtrEWAAQYp25?format=jpg&name=small[img][/img]
    giphy.gif

• Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    Saw the map leak and I'm honestly really disappointed by the map size. Why is it so hard for them to add more empty lots? Or lots where they just have empty shells in the middle of a bunch of functioning lots? Not counting the school lot and whatever that building is next to it since those are pretty integral to the pack and the world, there are 10 lots to work with... That's even less than Del Sol Valley. It's smaller than Strangerville...(which is another pack I wanted to take advantage of for some of my sims to live in but it's just so small I could never make it work). For a pack about "teenage years" and hanging out with all your friends making memories, that is just not enough room to have a nice amount of families plus public lots for them to hang out at. And (not counting the school grounds again since it can't really be used for anything else) only TWO neighborhoods?

I was really hoping they would add an apartment building to at least take advantage of some space to cram in a few extra families like EL did. I'm REALLY hoping that large complex with the blue roof in the bottom right corner is going to be a functioning apartment building. It would be weird to dedicate all that empty space to a shell, but it wouldn't be the first time the team has made a decision like that.

I really wanted to move my main families to this world since I'm starting to get tired of being in Brindleton all the time (it's just such a perfectly sized world), so I hope I can still make it work. All I know is I'll definitely have to evict all the premades to make room :/ And probably make some dual function lots...
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Again, I would have been more exited if this had been like Seasons, without any world but a school system added on every world.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Mr_MuffinTopMr_MuffinTop Posts: 131 Member
    My 3 biggest grips:

Clothes - While I did spot a sim dressed in some nice checkered tights, the overall look doesn't reflect any of the teens in my area, the style reminded me of those college movement students we always see on T.V.

Height - Seriously they all look like the Hollywood actors who are 25-30 year old's, but pretending to be 16-18. I am extremely disappointed that they didn't take this opportunity to completely rework the teen life stage height and all and really flush out this life stage.

Lack of pack integration - Based on the sims 4 track record with pack integration, it would not be foolish of me to assume that there won't be much of it if any. The trailer wasted most of its time showing us things that are already in the game. If there was so much "new" content to show then it would have been the highlight I feel. I don't mind reusing things we already have, but only if you are enhancing and extending game play with it.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Having only clubs for cheerleading, football, chess and computers really leave nothing for the more artsy students. We'd probably have to use Get Together to make any other kinds of clubs.

I will probably have floor and wall murals all over the place for my artistic sims.
    My sims usually are comprised of:
    -Preps/Elites
    -Nerds/Geeks
    -Jocks
    -Emo/Goth
    -Creatives

It seems there are only clubs for the Jocks and Geeks.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    lexibee wrote: »
    Saw the map leak and I'm honestly really disappointed by the map size. Why is it so hard for them to add more empty lots? Or lots where they just have empty shells in the middle of a bunch of functioning lots? Not counting the school lot and whatever that building is next to it since those are pretty integral to the pack and the world, there are 10 lots to work with... That's even less than Del Sol Valley. It's smaller than Strangerville...(which is another pack I wanted to take advantage of for some of my sims to live in but it's just so small I could never make it work). For a pack about "teenage years" and hanging out with all your friends making memories, that is just not enough room to have a nice amount of families plus public lots for them to hang out at. And (not counting the school grounds again since it can't really be used for anything else) only TWO neighborhoods?

I was really hoping they would add an apartment building to at least take advantage of some space to cram in a few extra families like EL did. I'm REALLY hoping that large complex with the blue roof in the bottom right corner is going to be a functioning apartment building. It would be weird to dedicate all that empty space to a shell, but it wouldn't be the first time the team has made a decision like that.

I really wanted to move my main families to this world since I'm starting to get tired of being in Brindleton all the time (it's just such a perfectly sized world), so I hope I can still make it work. All I know is I'll definitely have to evict all the premades to make room :/ And probably make some dual function lots...

There is a park with just trees on it. That would be a good one to bulldoze and add something else to.
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member

There is a park with just trees on it. That would be a good one to bulldoze and add something else to.

Oh yeah I'll definitely be doing that. I do like having parks to decorate for each season though, so I'm hoping the library isn't going to be important to keep for the "school experience" like the way it is with like, Strangerville, since I never use them...

I'm also noticing all those shell lots by the front of the pier area. It would be cool if those were some kind of rabbit hole something. It feels weird how much empty space there is at the pier neighborhood otherwise. I just need more things for my sims to DO, ya know..? Especially since I'll need space for all my families. Here's hoping the team is being more sims 3 open world about their approach to this pack, but I won't hold my breath :(

• Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Okay I have some reservations now that have to do with the sims AI. I've been playing TS4 a lot more now since they announced the HSY pack and after not playing for so long I forgot how stupid the sims AI is. The random NAP activities, the disastrous weddings, the random sit ups and push ups, the extremely random outfit choices.... I feel like this is going to be so distracting in a HS class setting and will ruin the immersion for me. I'm kinda worried now, I really doubt the sims will play like they have shown in the trailer.
  • Options
    RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member
    edited July 2022

I think they set it as the entrance of the carnival pier, you must need a community lot to arrive there, like the trigger lot for the festivals in CL.
    For me, I will turn it into a pool, 'cause I'm tired of the featureless national park, they just put some trees on the lot... Secondly, we haven't gotten a premade pool after GT, even though the lot type is BG :/
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

I think they set it as the entrance of the carnival pier, you must need a community lot to arrive there, like the trigger lot for the festivals in CL.
    For me, I will turn it into a pool, 'cause I'm tired of the featureless national park, they just put some trees on the lot... Secondly, we haven't gotten a premade pool after GT, even though the lot type is BG :/

There is no trigger lot for the festivals. I've played in City Living at one of the apartments in the spice district and could go visit the Spice Festival and the Flea Market without loading in a different lot. So you should be able to travel to any lot in the neighborhood with the carnival pier to be able to go to the carnival.

I think that the "active" lot in the leak is another empty lot, and one I plan to plop another Bubble Tea shop at as a kind of "all ages bar" for my teens.

I do agree that it would have been nice to have another couple of apartment lots.
  • Options
    RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member
    edited July 2022
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

There is no trigger lot for the festivals. I've played in City Living at one of the apartments in the spice district and could go visit the Spice Festival and the Flea Market without loading in a different lot. So you should be able to travel to any lot in the neighborhood with the carnival pier to be able to go to the carnival.

I think that the "active" lot in the leak is another empty lot, and one I plan to plop another Bubble Tea shop at as a kind of "all ages bar" for my teens.

I do agree that it would have been nice to have another couple of apartment lots.

Sorry, It is an analogy, but I really heard something about changing the lot causing the festival to fail. It's weird for me to arrive at someone‘s doorstep and visit another place. I think an amusement pool is a great choice to serve as the transfer station.

I can't find some clues in the trailer to define the structure in the lower right corner of the leaked map. I think it looks like a motel, and there is a welcome tree standing in front of it! So does the shell under the miner neighbourhood icon. The style of it reminds me of some pub or inn in the old town of Paris(I've never been to Europe, just some impressions I got from travel promos. Wish they were new apartments! The larger lots have been occupied by the premades, but I will keep them in and never complain if we get apartments for boarding students! Considering the delicacy of the shells, they at least are interactive like the stalls in Tartosa.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm… I think I could fit prom into my game easier if there were no prom-king or -queen. If there were no promposals. It is just off-putting to me.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    The annoying thing about trying to use Get Together's Club system to make up for the (apparent, and getting more clear by the day) lack of after school options with HSY is that either you make a club with requirements that will prevent stories like a kid joining the Krazy Krafters club because they want to learn Knitting (but they can't join because they don't have Knitting or handiness 2) or some jock joining the Future Chefs club because the guy she likes is in the class - but she hates cooking; or you make one without requirements, and then you get people who don't necessarily fit - like Nancy Landgraab joining a Gamers club, or Izzy Fabulous joining a gardening club (there's no way that man touches dirt if he doesn't have to)

Never mind that you also have to have a played Sim create these clubs.
  • Options
    lemonellalemonella Posts: 423 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Never mind that you also have to have a played Sim create these clubs.

There are ways to get around this! Go into a household and create a club. Once the club is created, save and exit to manage worlds. Then just move the household from “my households” to “other households” and then an NPC will lead the club.

I do see your point and agree with you though. I’m a little disappointed it seems the new pack won’t include other clubs like some sort of arts club, school newspaper or yearbook club, or any sort of music club. There’s so many more, but the list goes on and on. Oh well, I’ll just continue to use my imagination.

· · ─────── · 𖥸 · ─────── · ·
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Hmm… I think I could fit prom into my game easier if there were no prom-king or -queen. If there were no promposals. It is just off-putting to me.
    I wish they gave us 2 options proposal and just a normal ask Sim to prom they really love adding content that is quick to be outdated while simple classics never die.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    At least let my Sim go Carrie on everyone if she's not invited to prom :wink:

Oh thank you so much! Now I finally know what to do with this pack >:)
    Was already planning on sending occult teens to the school and wreak havoc, but a witch to mess up prom for everyone is just *chefs kiss*
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top