Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
edited February 14 in Nominated Threads
Just putting this up
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• BenjamilianBenjamilian Posts: 395 Member
    It could be brighter!
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Why do the teenagers look like Minions? They're all yellow.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Would you mind changing Dims to Sims in the title?
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    edited June 2022
    Would you mind changing Dims to Sims in the title?

I am sorry, hold on.Fixed
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Underwhelmed after first watch of the trailer, will watch it again later to see if my opinion changes.

Am excited for body hair, teens still don't look like teens.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited June 2022
    Teens still look like adults.
    Dancing .. WOO! Cus thats new and never seen before so lets dedicate 1/4 of the trailer to showing sims do it.
    Invite to the prom animation just a tacky low budget remake of the proposal animation. At least proposal made sense and you could say they pulled a ring out of their pocket.. where is the giant sign coming from? Heh I have ideas...
    Feels like a whole lot of recycled stuff.
    I did see somethings I liked but I'm jaded and expect them to be 'trailer magic', like the girl sitting on the floor. I'm going to have to see a good livestream on this one.
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    edited June 2022
    I wonder how much of it is really in game and how much is just in the trailer. For example there is this app to send messages. I remember Simstagram from SE, never made it into the pack. It’s hard to say right now. For me the most telling is always live stream and the early access.

I’m not into teenagers in Sims, but if someone likes this life stage it could be a good expansion.

Edit: body hair is what I’m most excited for. My sims need them desperately! But it’s a base game update so not counting as part of the expansion.

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    The trailer looks very very very American. I know Sims is developed in the US and the base game worlds are all American (more so than in the previous sims games) but this is overdoing it a bit. For me this feels like an American teen movie, not real life school. Just really not for me but happy for those who do want this content.

The school seems to be a actual location. I hope it is an alternative to the base game high school, not a replacement just like the wedding pack replaced base game weddings.

I want to know what this pack changes for the school system.

At least the pre order items look boring and make it easy to wait for a sale.

Going back to werewolves now. It is way too soon for me to cast them aside, definitely not for this pack.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    This is a positive pack for me, in theory, because it seems like it's going to add a lot of nice details to my current prep-school invented play.
    Any negatives will be in the details.

Though it was funny from the very start: Why is this dude still in high school?
    I cherish and love my shorter teens mod because it makes it obvious teens are not young adults, so I'm good there.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I hope there's a regular non-"promposal" way for them to ask to prom, because those promposals look goofy as heck.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but in the blog post it said creators helped to make seven new lots in the world. Seven!? An expansion world? I know there could be empty lots and such but I'm really worried the world will be tiny now. I hope they give us lot numbers soon, just so we know either way.
    Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but in the blog post it said creators helped to make seven new lots in the world. Seven!? An expansion world? I know there could be empty lots and such but I'm really worried the world will be tiny now. I hope they give us lot numbers soon, just so we know either way.

I think they are more lots, just that they made seven.
    The teens look so OLD! But this is a base game problem. It was clearly a shortcut taken in development making the teens look almost identical to adults.

This is why nailing the execution of the base game is critical. Issues will have rippling effects later on in the entire generation

Honestly it's not just the base game.The style of the clothes ,hair, and how they make them looks .Gives off a very young adult vibe.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member

I think they are more lots, just that they made seven.

Hm maybe an empty lot or two. But every time now for the last few packs, all the lots have been made by creators and EA haven't done more than setting up empty lots with a few trees or so. I'm not getting my hopes up on this one and if I'm proved wrong I'll be pleasantly surprised. Tbh that's been most of my thoughts recently with the sims, keep expectations low and I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's good.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    A little bit of American high school drama vibes...
  • HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    Oh wow. It’s the high school experience I never had. Take my money, EA, I’ll even pay double. /s

Rah, prom. Big whoop. I didn’t go to prom because I had horses to feed the next morning. Plus I wasn’t into that kind of thing.

Looks like the cheer squad has to stay on some kind of mat to be able to cheer. Also wasn’t crazy about cheer.

I’m not sure how eager I am to relive my formative secondary education years here. It seems very stereotypical of the high school tropes and I’m not sure how much that fits into my gameplay. Especially at EP prices.

I suppose I’d have to see more.

But why are they so oooooold looking? I was socially awkward as a teen (still am) and not into makeup or anything so I could easily have passed for a tiny middle schooler (also didn’t grow until the summer after my senior year when I shot up like 8 inches).
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention, it's a bit too Americanized for my taste. I know this is an American game but the trailer looked more like a TV show set to me than anything.

I would generally agree, but in this case the American style is ok because it's so well known worldwide through Hollywood films and series. You wouldn't want the German school system in the Sims.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    edited June 2022
    Upset that the amusement park /carnival items are all rabbit holes
    losing hope we get non rabbit hole ones ever now *sighs*
    I didn't want carnival just to go eat stuff and vanish into nothingness
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited June 2022
    Unlike 'Werewolves', I liked this trailer and what I saw in it. Nothing looked bad...but here's where having seen all this before comes in:
    -How much of what was in the trailer is trailer fluff?
    -I'm guessing due to how much of it was prom-focused, this'll be the big selling-point of the pack, which then leads me to wonder how fleshed out other aspects will be.
    -Football will be like soccer, for sure, given they didn't show off anything sports-like.
    -Cheerleading will be very basic and tied to the mat object, most likely.
    -The only substantial things I saw were the school layout, the proms, the amusement park, and that one shop.
    -It pretty much looks based off of a CW show, which means it is basically a made-for-tv interpretation of American high school, with all of the tropes, but modernized and sanitized (and with 30-somethings acting like teenagers). Usually they're filmed in Canada, funnily enough.
    -I'm definitely going to need the Livestream for this one (wish they still did gameplay trailers). I really want to know how useful it'll all be. I'm one of those who notices what isn't shown just as much as what is.
    -I need to see how...blurry/drawn on the body hair will be. They didn't give enough of a good look in the trailer, especially in the back/torso area. Looked good on the legs and arms, though.
    -The b/b style was...ecclectic.
    -The cas styles were so made-for-tv that it hurts.

American high school dramas have this weird thing where they blend time periods, the teenagers are all so far past drinking age that the bottles are the ones carded, they're always set in some stuck-in-the-past town with people just barely older than the teenagers all acting as if they're boomers, blending super posh upper-class people with lower-class people who look like their only financial struggles are wrapped up in a shopping addiction, always some sort of diner everyone hangs out in, and it's always got some kind of run-down outskirts and/or an amusement park, an old-timey theatre, and the high school is essentially a university all its own. All it's missing is a slew of pickup trucks that all the kids drive (alongside a beater or two) and a drive-in.

This is a made-for-tv high school experience. That's not a bad thing, mind you, but I do wonder what all will be usable past reenacting everything from Dawson's Creek to Riverdale, and pretending there's an actual place on Earth that lives like that.
    Post edited by KyreRoen on
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I didn't want carnival just to go eat stuff and vanish into nothingness
    The carnival is a rabbit hole what is even the point in adding it
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »