Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 High School Year's Negative thread

Comments

• SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Yeah… in making a specific world the place for high school how will it jive with going to school in Sulani, or StrangerVille? Wish that it had been more of a toolbox-pack and that we could build and place it freely.

From the looks of it now it would give a too narrow experience if high school education can only be attained at one place in the world.

Hmm… if I remember correctly then livestreams usually only show base game and the new pack. Will have to see what creative people with multiple packs do with it.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Melisendre wrote: »
    What I don't understand: for the last years the Sims was all about diversity and then they add so stereotype sports like football and cheerleading to the game. Wouldn't unisex sports be better like swimming, tennis or running. There are so many popular sports all over the world which are not associated to a specific sex.
    You do know what diversity means right? True diversity does not only cater to certain groups of people or exclude a sport because it leans more towards men or women sure they could have added a track team the football field does have a track around it or a swim team the animations already exist but to say they should have not added the 2 sports they did is just wrong.

If anything I think they should have added football cheerleading and soccer teams that would have covered a huge chunk of the sports played around the world.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    me seeing the shiny cas in High School Years: cannot unsee
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited July 2022
    I guess only one teen at a time from the household can go to high school.

That could be a problem for my twins, they usually go everywhere together.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

Why do they love adding limitations to how we can play so many of my played households have 2 teens including twins who should both go to school together.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    What I don't understand: for the last years the Sims was all about diversity and then they add so stereotype sports like football and cheerleading to the game. Wouldn't unisex sports be better like swimming, tennis or running. There are so many popular sports all over the world which are not associated to a specific sex.
    You do know what diversity means right? True diversity does not only cater to certain groups of people or exclude a sport because it leans more towards men or women sure they could have added a track team the football field does have a track around it or a swim team the animations already exist but to say they should have not added the 2 sports they did is just wrong.

If anything I think they should have added football cheerleading and soccer teams that would have covered a huge chunk of the sports played around the world.

Thank you
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member

How can a sport be a stereotype? 🤨

I'm from europe and I only know american highschools from tv shows and movies. Maybe there are female football player and male cheerleader but usually football is a very male sport and cheerleading is very female. I've never heard about a women's football legue or a cheerleading competition for men. In tv shows it's often about the good looking male football player and the very pretty female cheerleader falling in love. This is the stereotype even if I know it might be not the real life. It isn't the same with other sports.

Yeah but the sport itself isnt a stereotype or a negative? The stereotype may be a female 'queen bee' who is like cheerleading captian but thats not on the sport itself its just a part of the cliché. Sorry I just didnt like the way your comment sounded intitally it sounded like blaming a sport or considering it negative because it may be seperated by gender, the sport itself is nothing wrong. There are male and female cheerleaders. For some sports it is seperated by sex because of biological differences which makes sense. However in the sims those kind of differences dont exist, so I doubt the game wont let a female sim play football in a team. It also doesnt sound very diverse to exclude a sport in a video games because in real life it may be seperated by sex when playing in teams. Not all seperation is discrimination. Besides. There are women who enjoy football and men who enjoy cheer.

Like you said the sport itself isn't wrong and didn't want to blame it.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited July 2022
    carpe_diem wrote: »
    😱FEARS😱
    😲 Periods not being included in "sims now hitting puberty. That would be a very hurtful statement. 😥 (hoping for at least a moodlet once in awhile!)
    😲 No clubs for Art / Music / Drama / Creativity? I really hope they just haven't mentioned it yet.
    😲 That the pack would be a nightmare for rotational players (ugh University! The game filling up your school with random NPC teens / your sims graduating on their own!)
    😲 Not possible to assign which sims that should work as teachers / principal (like the Scott's in CoL! I can never play them bc they would lose their role 😓)

😡NAY'S😡
    😭 The school is very americanized, and most of the problem is the sports.
    Football and Cheerleading are very american sports (and also very gender-associated as someone else mentioned). I haven't seen these activites outside US, I don't think we even have it in the part of the world where I come from. I would have prefered something like a SWIMMING TEAM. They could have made swimming into a separate skill and expanded on it. They could have made it possible to race with another sim and have interactive swimming competitions (that we could watch, not just sending your sim to a rabbit hole!).
    😭 Teens looking like adults! (The height! Fullgrown before puberty... what?). Hoping for a pack in the future: ELEMENTARY & MIDDLE SCHOOLS YEARS with focus on growing up, CHILDHOOD and introducing the NEW LIFESTATE PRE-TEENS

What's wrong with it being Americanized? I understand people want more representation of other areas.Which is fair and good.I don't think it means we should not have certain things because it's American.The university pack was more ukamd this pack is more American.

I agree. Every pack kind of has a cultural theme. No one complains why was komorebi a Japan theme? Why was Jungle Adventure a South American theme? Why was Sulani a native islander theme? Etc. Etc. So what's wrong with an American themed pack? I'm not even a native American and I see nothing wrong with this. I understand everyone wants to be "represented" these days but
    It's impossible to represent every country in one little school pack. It would have been a mess of mixed up cultures all trying to be packed into one and that's not a good look IMO.

Plus sims can already swim. I much prefer football. We already have soccer. Running is pretty boring. Football is something sims can do together even if it's just throwing it back and forth. Cheerleading is a whole lot of fun. I love dancing and cheering is practically the same thing! Imagine putting together routines, practicing, getting the team together and performing!!
    Swimming wouldn't be half as interesting.

The gender thing kind of disturbed me. There is nothing stereotypical or discriminating about sports in a game. The Sims team is very diverse with all kinds of people on the team. They always promote diversity and they reflect that in the game.
    The fact that they choose cheer and football has nothing to do with discrimination. It's popular (in America) and its fun!! Any sim can do it in the game although it's not that common in real life.
    Even in the trailer sim dude was cheering.
    This game is made in America btw.

And last of all, there is absolutely nothing wrong with "girly" things in the game and "manly" things. I request more of it actually. Not EVRRYTHING has to be gender neutral. That's exactly why we still have yet to get a man pack. And when we did it was representing the "modern" man and everyone was upset 😭😭😭

Agreed. I feel like if the game was a school system based on a different culture, people would still be complaining it doesn't represent theirs. It's a tall order to try to represent every single culture in the world in a life simulator game and by placing much more of a focus on that, you risk hurting the quality of the gameplay, and TS4 really doesn't need more of that. Building your own schools sounds great for builders, but I still want something that'll work out of the box. It's hardly surprising that an American game development company decided to prioritize the American setting of a school system based on the media and life experience they're most familiar with. Granted, I'm a bit biased as I'm American, but this pack does not represent my highschool experience. I was homeschooled. :smile:

To me, it highlights the problem the game itself has where worlds are many, but smaller and separated with many of them having a hyper focus on a specific theme. When I'm doing scenes, I have to avoid, for example, moving the scene to a new location that makes no sense, which is why I hardly do scenes in Sulani unless the Sim lives there or is vacationing there. If they are in Sulani, scenes about them can only take place there. This also goes for Windenburg, San Myshuno, Oasis Springs, Mt. Komorebi, etc. In a weird way, I benefit from many of the worlds looking like Willow Creek because at least they look connected. In this context, it's not surprising to me that the highschool is focused on an American theme, when a lot of worlds are very focused anyway.

So yes, education is a worldwide concept, but The Sims 4 isn't a game big enough that can accurately represent the world. I wish it was, frankly, but you know. Deadlines, creativity being hard to constantly keep up, programming difficulty and all that, and the Sims is a series that relies at least lightly on stereotypes (which means I also agree that trying to make everything gender neutral is missing the point). Given how much the developers have tried to include other cultures already and that they're stuck still having to create content for this game and what they have to work with, I don't know if I really agree that the pack being "too American" is a fair criticism. It seems like logic in the same vein of criticizing the game for Sims native to Sulani still speaking Simlish with an American accent.
    Post edited by LJK on
  • 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    If an R&B radio station can't show up as a base game update feature, I swear I'm creating a custom radio station myself
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    If an R&B radio station can't show up as a base game update feature, I swear I'm creating a custom radio station myself

Will probably get one.Just need the right pack.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member

Why would only one be allowed to go? I hope that's not the case, that would be a disaster.

Nobody has commented yet on classes and I am very concerned that classes will just be our teens sat in front of a whiteboard every day.

There are lots of things they could include, but will they? I want home ed classes learning cooking, Woodwork, art, science classes in a lab setting learning the logic skill, indoor and outdoor p.e. doing sports.

And how will classes be done anyway? We can just sit our sim in any room we want with a bunch of randomly generated teens and a randomly generated teacher?
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    So many people saying about teens looking like adults.. they literally always have, and usually people defend it saying oh this is what teens look like in my school etc.. so that’s prob why nothing was ever done about them.. And as for a new life stage I think the baby overhaul would be far more likely than pre teens.. imo it would be a disaster to add pre teens this late into the game, they’ve missed out on years of potential gameplay/animations that the team seem to be so unwilling to add.

Anyways, I don’t have a problem with it being Americanised. They went kinda British with university and it was just a shell map with rabbit hole gameplay, plus honestly I never had a problem with the sims being Americanised. We’ve all seen american shows so it’s not exactly unfamiliar. I want more suburban streets to build and play on akin to the BG maps. I really dislike these vast maps we’ve been getting recently just full of set props.. I’d rather compact neighbourhoods where we can customise each lot please.. I’m kinda over all the like niche location maps also, I mean kudos if you wanted them but I still only really play with bg neighbourhoods as they are the most versatile imo..

Also I’m glad we are getting body hair, but did it look kinda pixelated/ low graphics to anyone else?
    Mybe my problem with this pack is theme in general. I always wanted more specific gameplay for teenager but I never wanted school gameplay. We already have university. They should have focussed on activities besides school.
  • mrs_starkeymrs_starkey Posts: 169 Member
    Wow...we had nothing like the above in my school in germany. It was just: Go to school, listen, learn, write, make test, go home, make homework :D Whenever I see a school musical in youtube, I get a little sad...man, I would have loved to be in a theatre club.

My school experience wasn't that great, because I was an autistic kid who was shy and socially awkward, so I was kind of a loner and an outsider. That's why I always loved watching american highschool movies! And that's because I'm happy that this pack is influenced by american school.

Although I'm NOT happy about the fact that it's JUST high school...again, teenagers, who are fully grown up and ready to be young adults. Where are the middle schoolers?! It's like they don't exist in the Sims 4. They are kids and then BOOM, they suddenly become fully grown Sims, who have muscles and are ready to go to prom... I would PAY good money for shorter and more teenlike-looking teens, or even better a new lifestage with thr so called "preteens", (in my mind 11-15 years old)! But nobody is giving me those...

Somehow I made peace with the teenagers we currently have. I kinda made up a story why they all are so tall...it's because there is something in the food they eat that makes them grow like overnight, when they become 13 years old. :wink: I always make them thinner and less muscular in the beginning, so they will naturally gain a little weight and muscles over the time growing up. That way it kinda looks like they are growing...

And I use a lot of Maxis Match CC to make the 13/14 year olds look like their age inspite of their height. Over time I also often change their style of clothes and hair, so that also gives me the illusion that they are growing up.

But I've always hatet the fact that siblings with different ages have the same height! If I have a 8 year old, a 12 year old and a 16 year old kid, there SHOULD be 3 different heights! Either I have to make the middle kid look much older with CC but with the same height as the other kid, or I have to turn the middle kid into a teenager and try to make it look younger with CC, to differ it from the older sibling. This is what bothers me the most about the teen situation. And that's why I want preteens in the Sims 4, I want to SEE my kids grow up.

Anyway, it is what it is. I'm looking forward to the new animations in the school pack like pillow fighting, dancing and sitting crosslegged on the floor or bed.

I dislike the carnival/theme park that comes with the pack, because it is rabbithole over rabbithole, and I'm no rabbit that likes dark holes into nothing. I'm a player who likes to SEE my Sims having fun! That reduces the chances to get a REAL functional Theme park in the Sims 4. And that's sad. OR it could be a big hint, that theme parks are coming, who knows? :D
  • procianprocian Posts: 151 Member
    Body hair? so were getting nudity in the game?....Bit 18+ is it not?
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    I’ll reserve most of my negative comments till I get confirmation of my possible disappointments.

But I didn’t like that they didn’t mention a high school lot just that we could customize the existing one. It wouldn’t make sense for some of my Sims to go to this particular school. That would be a big downside.

This one is a little bit nitpic but I wish that the cheerleading object came in invisible, like the aisle from the wedding pack.

I also feel like this was perfect opportunity to add sleepovers. But I didn’t see that mentioned.

Can’t you already invite people to stay the night? It would be nice to get some sleeping bags….. would make it feel more like a sleepover. At least there are pillow fights, and if you have outdoor retreat ( and possibly little campers you can add tents and/or beds that fit in the inventory. If you have Get Together, you could make a sleepover club, not sure how well that would work though. I have teen age clubs where the teenagers hang out at someone’s house or a special lot, you can have them start a club meetings anywhere, but I think you have to be playing the leader to change activities.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    procian wrote: »

Why would body hair = nudity? People display body hair in public on their arms and legs (and chests for guys).
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    procian wrote: »

Why would body hair = nudity? People display body hair in public on their arms and legs (and chests for guys).

Some folks don’t need clothes. Fur covers all. 😇
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Anyone have an opinion on whether the school is fixed to the new world? The sports field and the running track may not be transferrable.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited July 2022
    favriel wrote: »
    The clothes were not designed by the sims team, people who designed them are real Depop sellers who thrift clothes/customize them

That doesn't really make it automatically good ? Clothes designed by people who don't know the sims rigid system of lack of layering, for a fashion style that is very much about layering, do not work.
    Besides, no matter who designed it, it's still the sims team making the meshes and textures. And often, something which you *know* looked fine in drawings, doesn't translate into the game because the devs don't understand the importance of silhouette, so it ends up boxy looking.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Honestly this pack seems surprisingly good in my opinion. Only minor complaints I have are;

- The world, the actual campus area looks nice, but again same as I said with Werewolves, the rest of the world looks like Granite Creek 7.0. If the world is going to look exactly the same as ones we already have, just don't add a world. It's a waste of development time and I'd rather they use that time for adding actually new things
    - Teens are still adult height :/
    - Not sure how I feel about body/facial hair growing over time, will this only affect played sims? Is there an option to turn it off? If I give a sim a specific facial hair, or body hair choice I don't really want it changing on its own

Those are only pretty trivial complaints though, otherwise I think this pack did a pretty good job from the trailer

Yes it does look like Granite Falls I agree and there may only be 7 lots.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is the ferris wheel and tunnel of love are rabbitholes.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited July 2022
    Discover University had bikes but High School Years can't have skateboards.
    That would be fun. They could have added a half-pipe and a skateboard skill.

What I miss are some swimming pool activities like a water slide or waterballs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top