Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Karilan wrote: »
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Another question:
    What do you consider to be your weak spot when it comes to writing? (e.g speech, events, types of people)

Descriptive writing. Personally I could write dialogue all day as I feel this is my strong suit, but description? I could write half the post in dialogue before I realize I should probably include some narration. :# I have to remember to set up and explain the scene (i.e. five senses description and stuff like that). I know we have screenshots to help with that, but I don't want to be too lazy in case I write text - only chapters.

I guess I'm the odd one out. I like writing romantic scenes. I was almost forced to when writing FRWL since Gage had so many partners, but it helped me be more comfortable with writing romance, dating, and woohoo scenes.

I hate writing romantic scenes. Anyone want to write it for me? No. Guess i'll have to do it anyway because it fits in with the storyline for gen 3. I'm an aromantic person so no idea how this is going to work out. :D I'll manage somehow.

I also banned woohoo scenes from all my stories which is why I skip ahead and they find out they're pregnant.

I keep my Grace series really PG. I think Cam & Karlee's wedding night was the most intimate the story has ever been.

i can't use pics anymore. the benders think clothes are optional.
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Another question:
    What do you consider to be your weak spot when it comes to writing? (e.g speech, events, types of people)

Descriptive writing. Personally I could write dialogue all day as I feel this is my strong suit, but description? I could write half the post in dialogue before I realize I should probably include some narration. :# I have to remember to set up and explain the scene (i.e. five senses description and stuff like that). I know we have screenshots to help with that, but I don't want to be too lazy in case I write text - only chapters.

I guess I'm the odd one out. I like writing romantic scenes. I was almost forced to when writing FRWL since Gage had so many partners, but it helped me be more comfortable with writing romance, dating, and woohoo scenes.

I hate writing romantic scenes. Anyone want to write it for me? No. Guess i'll have to do it anyway because it fits in with the storyline for gen 3. I'm an aromantic person so no idea how this is going to work out. :D I'll manage somehow.

I also banned woohoo scenes from all my stories which is why I skip ahead and they find out they're pregnant.

but without romance you would always be in generation1 .

Well, I managed to get to gen 3 didn't I and it was with minimum romance. :D (Ok, I know gen 1 is like 10 chapters long but still counts)

Yes I can think of a number of ways of making it through the generations with minimum romance.
  • Options
    Another question:

I keep my Grace series really PG. I think Cam & Karlee's wedding night was the most intimate the story has ever been.

Your sims sound really rebellious. :D My sims 3 sims were very rebellious too. I think they secretly knew I wasn't very romantic. :D
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Another question:

Well, I managed to get to gen 3 didn't I and it was with minimum romance. :D (Ok, I know gen 1 is like 10 chapters long but still counts)

Yes I can think of a number of ways of making it through the generations with minimum romance.

You recovered from finding out the secret i've been keeping for a while about Tony's kid's identity? :joy:
  • Options
    Another question:

Your sims sound really rebellious. :D My sims 3 sims were very rebellious too. I think they secretly knew I wasn't very romantic. :D

i promise this is true. i was playing last night and noel and lauren took their clothes off. i had them get dressed again and before i could get the screenshot they were off again.
  • Options
    Another question:

You recovered from finding out the secret i've been keeping for a while about Tony's kid's identity? :joy:

I feel another investigation is underway. B)
  • Options
    Another question:

i promise this is true. i was playing last night and noel and lauren took their clothes off. i had them get dressed again and before i could get the screenshot they were off again.

This cracks me up! :D
  • Options
    Another question:

This cracks me up! :D

right now i'm using dogs as birth control.
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Now that WAWRMO is out of the way it's back to focusing on that BL chapter i'm writing (with some help from a fellow simmer not saying who but they know who they are) and coming up with a name for my amazon inspired story (ok it's more other tribe inspired as it's not about an amazon tribe :) ). Working on WAWRMO's next chapter (I write a week in advance) and writing my next BB chapter. Plenty to do!
  • Options
    KarilanKarilan Posts: 2,935 Member
    My purple day post!

Thank you all for this wonderful idea. I've been a bit stuck and wallowing in my own grief over losing another generation recently. This was a nice reminder to appreciate my Sims, and has helped me move forward with my story.

*hugs for all!*
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    My purple day post!

Thank you all for this wonderful idea. I've been a bit stuck and wallowing in my own grief over losing another generation recently. This was a nice reminder to appreciate my Sims, and has helped me move forward with my story.

*hugs for all!*

That's what it's for! Writing legacies is so hard...
    I don't know if you read up on the history of it, but it was suggested by a young reader of mine, after reading one of my many posts on loss in Goofy Love, who had recently lost her dad. She came up with the idea for this--and her mom designed the logo. To me, it's a beautiful example of how "playing with life" aids us in moving through life, to do the kinds of healing--and to remember the types of loving--that life asks of us. :)

That first year, most people thought we were silly for doing it. But anyone who's played through a legacy--and who's thought about life as a result--knows we're not.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    My purple day post!

*hugs for all!*

I don't know if you read up on the history of it, but it was suggested by a young reader of mine, after reading one of my many posts on loss in Goofy Love, who had recently lost her dad. She came up with the idea for this--and her mom designed the logo. To me, it's a beautiful example of how "playing with life" aids us in moving through life, to do the kinds of healing--and to remember the types of loving--that life asks of us. :)

That first year, most people thought we were silly for doing it. But anyone who's played through a legacy--and who's thought about life as a result--knows we're not.

Definitely agree. These might be fictional characters but that doesn’t mean they aren’t...real. They are a whole collection of thoughts in my head that, in a way, won’t birth anymore original idea or thoughts. It’s sad, but precious.
    D2vFwMN.jpg
    My hubby causes chaos in How To Live With Grace - - Pine Point tells Miranda Cole's survival tale - - Criminals build legacies in Glassbolt Prison
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    CathyTea wrote: »
    My purple day post!

*hugs for all!*

do you remember colin forbes? my sim who hated having to" go" outside. had no cooking skill ad wanted a stove. you should you helped m write it he died 7 times once the first day and 6 because of a glitch as a elder.
  • Options
    Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    @AdamsEve1231 I feel the same way! The way I write my story is really more like a screenplay than a book. I can't ever bring myself to really go into detail with my narrations. Sometimes i feel like my narrations are way too short so I go back and throw some more words in there xD.
    PS: I will gladly join you in the romantic writing club! I love it!

@Arrowleaf I also get this feeling. I always give my characters drama filled storylines, but sometimes I feel like I am making them all wayyyy too emo lol. "However, when I skip over some of the mundane parts I find myself regretting not having explored them more, or that readers don't understand character's motivations/thought processes in certain scenes."
    ^^^^
    THIS! In Metro I sort of regret rushing Frankie's storyline, but I was just doing that to speed things up. I think giving her a whole chapter for a flashback did help somewhat, but I think I should have gone more in depth with it :/ But like you said, who wants to read the mundane parts???

As for my strengths?
    I think I take pretty good screenshots. Usually I take all the screenshots for my chapters first and then figure out dialogue later. I'm the type of person that loves setting up dramatic scenes so I always make sure everything the screenshot works. Especially for the climactic scene in every chapter.
    THIRTYT(2).png
  • Options
    Just dropping an update from Friends of Foes. The chapter title is pretty self explanatory. :D
    friends-and-secrets_1_orig.png
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Just because it's late in the evening of December 1, that doesn't mean that Purple Day has to end! If you write Purple Day posts this weekend, please share them on the Purple Day thread, and I'll be sure to add them to the Purple Day blog!

Hope you take a moment to read @Karilan and @AdamsEve1231 's inspiring and thoughtful posts!

And here's mine: Aimless: Purple 2017
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @CathyTea I've read @Karilan's, it's very moving. :) I'll have a read of @AdamsEve1231 's and yours.
  • Options
    Just dropping an update from Friends of Foes. The chapter title is pretty self explanatory. :D
    friends-and-secrets_1_orig.png

I just have to say how amazing that banner is @simscognito
    Something about the muted color balance of the trees and bushes against the blue sky and your sim's silhouette is so enticing. Good job!!
    D2vFwMN.jpg
  • Options
    i wrote something a while ago during the only attempt where noel and lauren died. i don't have it anymore i think it as only 2 attempts ago. but when ayden would go near them after his divorce and meeting christine oh wait that happened the other way. they actually acted like they didn't know him. which made me feel bad for him then they died without reconcling.

but thats how i got the letter idea i use now. he wrote one to them.
  • Options
    Thanks @Karilan . Delighted you like it. It was me experimenting, as usual. :D
  • Options
    i wrote something a while ago during the only attempt where noel and lauren died. i don't have it anymore i think it as only 2 attempts ago. but when ayden would go near them after his divorce and meeting christine oh wait that happened the other way. they actually acted like they didn't know him. which made me feel bad for him then they died without reconcling.

@friendsfan367 that's really sad. A similar thing happened with two of my sims as well, except it was a mother and daughter relationship. The mother died without mending the relationship with her daughter and her daughter never quite got over it.
  • Options

@friendsfan367 that's really sad. A similar thing happened with two of my sims as well, except it was a mother and daughter relationship. The mother died without mending the relationship with her daughter and her daughter never quite got over it.

i'm doing the almost exact same story during my last attempt alana noel and laurens daughter found a guy she liked then after i did a backstory for him i accidently killed her by moving ui cheats the wrong way . he started crying instantly. so i had to go back a save to get her back.
  • Options

i'm doing the almost exact same story during my last attempt alana noel and laurens daughter found a guy she liked then after i did a backstory for him i accidently killed her by moving ui cheats the wrong way . he started crying instantly. so i had to go back a save to get her back.

Aww you're a nice watcher. That actually happened to one of my sims and I got them back by using the wishing well.
  • Options

Aww you're a nice watcher. That actually happened to one of my sims and I got them back by using the wishing well.

aydens sister is picky and um kind of mean. i had to go back a save to get her back for rylan though. it will male more sense when i start writing again.
  • Options

aydens sister is picky and um kind of mean. i had to go back a save to get her back for rylan though. it will male more sense when i start writing again.

Aww but he loves her unconditionally. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top