Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

Comments

• Options
    Petarce123Petarce123 Posts: 493 Member
    @SimGuruEugi Is it possible to add an interaction so our sims can take off their hats in live mode? :)
    I want Seasons and Island Paradise for The Sims 4!

• Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    @SimGuruEugi is it possible to get technical patch notes published somewhere for the folks that really want to read them? I didnt know the relationships had been patched, I just kept doing my thing, not playing, like everything was still broken - I've even complained, repeatedly. o:)

Could having indepth technical patch notes published somewhere help disseminate correct information about what was tuned or added so modders and even regular learned folk can be better informed?

Someone, hand me a clue! ;)
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Nectere wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi is it possible to get technical patch notes published somewhere for the folks that really want to read them? I didnt know the relationships had been patched, I just kept doing my thing, not playing, like everything was still broken - I've even complained, repeatedly. o:)

Could having indepth technical patch notes published somewhere help disseminate correct information about what was tuned or added so modders and even regular learned folk can be better informed?

This!! (So MUCH This!)

I would LOVE to see "just the facts" patch notes, too. I would MUCH prefer a "less cutesy, more detail" version. I have a really hard time deciphering the "news" from between the jokes, honestly.

Deaderpool writes cool patch notes. VERY detailed. Interested? Check near the bottom of the description page, here: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680

I would enjoy those kinds of notes about this game very VERY much. Great post, @Nectere !!
  • Options
    Here's the thing, in my mind, its not admitting something was broken when you supply full tech patch notes of tuning, correction or additions, its simply informing the users that you are listening and you have made some adjustments. That goes a long way, I'd say "believe me" but thats a bit tired at the moment. :chugs:
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member

Relationship decay has been tweaked? I haven't noticed it in my game...
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options

you will need to fix all your relationships manually or naturally and then go from there in an unmodded game to see a difference.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member

you will need to fix all your relationships manually or naturally and then go from there in an unmodded game to see a difference.

Could you tell me what exactly has been tweaked? like how is it different?
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

Ditto! My assumption was that if it isn't in the patch notes, it wasn't fixed/tuned/tweaked. I started a thread a few days back asking if there had been an update about culling & relationship decay, because I didn't know changes had been made. It would be great if notes on culling and relationship decay are included in the notes. Or a "non-joke" addendum. The jokes in the patches are amusing, but I'm a "just the facts" person for stuff like this so that I can see whether or not the issues of concern to me have been addressed.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited October 2016
    @SimGuruEugi
    Could you give us an example of something in one of EPs/patches released so far for TS4 that has called for new engine functionalities ?
  • Options
    SimGuruEugiSimGuruEugi Posts: 503 SimGuru

The truth is that it's very hard for SimGuruGnome to compile the patch notes. For the bigger patches, like the ones released with expansion packs, we might fix hundred of bugs. Some bugs might also have been fixed by a previous patch, but because of when/where they were filed, they might get verified and added to the notes later. Some bugs might be incidentally fixed by other bug fixes, and those wouldn't get reported. Some bugs might get fixed by feature work for a pack. Also, sometimes we like to just fix bugs "under the radar..." we see something we don't like or doesn't work and we kind of just fix it "unofficially." So, yeah, it's rough for him :)
  • Options
    SimGuruEugiSimGuruEugi Posts: 503 SimGuru
    Neia wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi
    Could you give us an example of something in one of EPs/patches released so far for TS4 that has called for new engine functionalities ?

There are many. Off the top of my head, I can think of mannequins in EP1. The "engine" was modified to support rendering outfits on non-Sim objects. It wasn't a fundamental change, but it was "engine" nonetheless.

Apartments obviously involves a lot of "engine" changes, such as a the ability to further subdivide certain zones into apartments. Although the term apartment wasn't engineery enough, so we decided to call them plexes.
  • Options
    cheifeagleeyecheifeagleeye Posts: 542 Member
    these Achievements Old lace, Horticulture Shock, Can Reproduce, cannot be completed as there are bug. Is they anything been done about it?
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    we kind of just fix it "unofficially."

Nice one ;) I hear you.

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited October 2016
    @SimGuruEugi following my previous question + your slides, I've studied the multitasking slide a bit and am wondering about this:

It says there that "sub-actions", like yawning, channel surfing, laughing, sipping from a drink, etc., are run "inside" active interactions & that they are selected using weighted random. What exactly does "weighted random" mean? Are certain sub-actions necessarily set off by the sim's surrounding? For example, when a sim is surrounded by other sims (whether in front of the tv, at the restaurant, etc.) is the fact that they will autonomously converse with others an automatically run "sub-action" that will occur in the same way each and every time? Or does it vary depending on certain other factors (like their mood, friendship level, etc.)? And how much/often are these sub-actions fine-tuned afterwards?

The reason I ask is that a lot of people, myself included, often find it annoying that when we send two sims out on a romantic date together, one or both of them will keep getting up and talk to sims surrounding them instead of remaining at the table to converse almost exclusively with their date. Is this something that can be fine-tuned using the engine the way it's currently set up? Is there a possibility for you guys to vary the "chance" (I'll call it that, may be the wrong word for it) of these sub-actions happening depending on the situations in which they occur, or is it set once and will automatically repeat in exactly the same way, no matter the current situation? I hope this isn't asked too strangely lol.

So in short, what I'd like to know is: would it be possible to lower the frequency of certain sub-actions (like talking) in specific situations (like dates) but not in others? This is just the first example I can think of, but I'm sure there are others :)
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @SimGuruEugi ah and also (sorry for the double post, but it's a slightly different although related question) is there an intrinsic difference between a sub-action and an action other than that they run during actions? The reason I'd like to know that is: when my sims talk autonomously, as a "sub-action", to other sims, I noticed that they still do not actually "know" them. So when I click on that sim to converse with them as an actual action, I still have to start with the "friendly introduction" even though they've already been conversing on the side for quite some time. Could you explain why that is? Is it that they're registered differently somehow? Again, sorry if this is asked in a confusing manner, but I'm not that extremely fluent in tech-speak ;)
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    these Achievements Old lace, Horticulture Shock, Can Reproduce, cannot be completed as there are bug. Is they anything been done about it?

You can add your voice here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-Broken-and-broken-achievements/td-p/3693481
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

The truth is that it's very hard for SimGuruGnome to compile the patch notes. For the bigger patches, like the ones released with expansion packs, we might fix hundred of bugs. Some bugs might also have been fixed by a previous patch, but because of when/where they were filed, they might get verified and added to the notes later. Some bugs might be incidentally fixed by other bug fixes, and those wouldn't get reported. Some bugs might get fixed by feature work for a pack. Also, sometimes we like to just fix bugs "under the radar..." we see something we don't like or doesn't work and we kind of just fix it "unofficially." So, yeah, it's rough for him :)

I understand and I sympathize, but culling & relationship decay are discussed so often on the forum that we need some sort of communication when changes have been made. Sometimes we don't have the time to test, or the changes are difficult to see unless we play for an extended period of time. It's definitely not something I'd want to try out on a saved favorite game. So if there could be some way to inform us that changes to culling & relationship have been made, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    lotarylotary Posts: 111 Member
    As a rotational player I'm eager to receive update notification about culling & relationships too. To be honest I kinda reluctant to play my saved games until the issue has been fixed.
    Origin ID: lotary00
  • Options
    Another problem for rotational play is I *think* the door locks and bed ownership resets when you switch families, which means I have to set up their home life again each time.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Another problem for rotational play is I *think* the door locks and bed ownership resets when you switch families, which means I have to set up their home life again each time.

If it's doing that, it hasn't always. Sounds like a bug.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

there has been a bug kicking around that resets bed ownership when they woohoo - is that happening? For me it was limited to people who didnt live in the house or new partners, whenever they would do the deed the beds would reset and need to be claimed again. I havent checked to see if its still happening as of today tho,
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    I will test it again, but I definitely remember setting the bedroom door and the double bed to the parents last time their family was active, and nothing was locked or claimed when I went back to their house on their next turn.
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member

I wish they would reset since, when I leave my restaurant, the new random assignments which I don't want in the first place can't serve customers due to the fact that they're not recognized as employees or household members.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options

I wish they would reset since, when I leave my restaurant, the new random assignments which I don't want in the first place can't serve customers due to the fact that they're not recognized as employees or household members.

Makes more sense on a public lot, but not so much in a private home.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited October 2016

What about features that are "working as intended" but added without being announced to the players? What restrictions prevent SimGuruGnome from telling players about changes to culling, the introduction of relationship culling, and the introduction of inactive played relationship decay? And if he has so much to convey in such a limited space, why are there endless sub-points of no actual substance following most points in patch notes?

Also, I hope you don't mind me reposting some of my questions from a few pages back that I'm still hoping for an answer on:
    Terra wrote: »
    Having said that, while favourite colour isn't one I miss, I do really miss favourite music - as I said before, my Sims in TS4 all seem to have a hidden preference for Alternative or Pop, which they always autonomously listen to but just doesn't match some Sims (and is also really annoying when you're trying to direct the gender of an unborn baby). I've never had a Sim autonomously listen to any other station. It's especially jarring for people who do history challenges or play non-modern Sims. Is this intentional?

Thanks for answering so many questions - I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss my previous question though:
    Terra wrote: »
    My question is related to one that was asked a few pages back about "away actions" for our Sims. In addition to more actions, such as "Do Homework", I would REALLY love it if our Sims kept all their moodlets and their emotional states when they were off-lot. I often build up my Sims to have the right moodlets before they go to work or school. However, if I then go to a community lot with the Sims who are still at home, their current Emotion disappears and they are labeled as "Fine" unless their needs start to decay, when they switch to "Uncomfortable". It seems unfair that our Sims' work and school performance should be penalized by taking them out of the ideal mood when we take the Sims who stay behind to a community lot. Why don't Sims maintain their Emotional state (except for Uncomfortable) when you are playing other Sims away from the home lot? And could this be fixed?

Also, would it be technically feasible to assign our own Sims to NPC roles? Say, I click on the library and choose to either randomize a Librarian, go into CAS and make one, or pick one of my other Sims in the neighbourhood to fulfill that role. Aside from the very last option, that's exactly how it worked in Sims Medieval. It would give players a lot more control over their neighbourhoods.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top