Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Confirmed, we can't work as chefs :/ meh

Comments

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If in S2 when you played the chef, all you did was the same as a hired chef, meaning, it was automatic and you (the player) aren't doing anything to direct your simchef, how is that any better? It sounds like both of you, @Sigzy05 and @Cinebar, described the same thing which, if I understood you correctly, means you don't directly play your sim while cooking. That doesn't sound challenging at all. I'd rather be the manager.

Oh, it is. Because if your Sim needs a break in TS2 (remember they die if hungry) you don't have another chef and the food chain stops if no one is cooking. You do have to have a strategy to give your employees a break or your family members or yourself. Sims die in TS2. Or get angry curse out your Sims and quit. Leaving your business in a bind. It's not as simple as watching an animation. You must have a backup plan when Sims need to pee, eat, and have fun. Or sleep. ETA: Because they are assigned and you must have someone to take over that assignment. Or you have Sims seated waiting with no food coming if chef on break, and they will die.

You are right. I haven't played OFB in so long, I don't remember what the restaurant experience was like. But it definitely required strategizing and gameplay that went beyond watching the animations.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    We can still run multiple restaurants as a manager.

I'm excited about that, however, the question still remains the same. What's the point of owning restaurants if we can't actively participate (i.e. cook the food) in them?
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Ea's laziness strikes again. -.-
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If we can own more than one restaurant, do we have to be in it for it to be open? In retail, you open your business and close it. It only runs when you are there, so if restaurants work that way too, when you are at one restaurant, the others are closed. So why not just have the one restaurant open all the time?
  • Options
    shan_26shan_26 Posts: 951 Member
    This doesn't sound that bad to me. I'm reserving judgment til it arrives. I do like the idea of owning a chain of restaurants like a franchise and truth be told the last thing I want to do is stand around cranking out dishes all day like in the bakery... I mean it might be fun to be the chef for a couple of hours game play but in the end it'll get tedious just like real restaurant work and I'm just going to leave it to an NPC anyway. I'm really looking forward to managing the shop and OWNING the shop. Sorry for those that really wanted to be a chef, though but in the end I don't think this is a real big deal and I don't think it'll make a lot of difference in play ability in the pack for me.

THIS^^ Get to works active careers like Ambitions active careers are fun the first time but then becomes very boring and tedious after a while. When I thought about restaurants coming back in the sims, I wanted to just have another place to eat. I didn't want it as an active career. I'm so confused as to why some people are disappointed that they are not able to be a chef. My interpretation of having restaurants back was to sit down and bond over meal and perhaps skip out on the bill >:) . Getting a promotion from work and taking the family out to dinner to celebrate. Being able to go on a date without bar hopping. I never liked retail in the sims and open for business was my least favorite EP ever. If we get the option to invest or own businesses like in Ambitions where eventually you can get it to three stars and pick up the earned revenue once a week, I'm all for it.
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2016
    Okay I never owned a restaurant in sims 2 and now you all are making me want to try!

Shame TS4 doesn't appear to have the same freedoms coming in the pack.

Don't forget to give your employees breaks when the little ball over their head turns yellow (not green) and yell at them to get back to work when they are in the green again. And give them a fair raise when they gain experience which is very quickly it seems. lol Have back up employees who you can all in once you sent the others home. They ones going home will say they are too tired but the game will send back the right ones. If they are in the red better send them home because you won't know if it's energy or hunger and they could die on your lot. Watch out for the Evil Witch from AL she will show up and cause roaches to appear on your lot. Driving everyone crazy. Servos are the best employees! lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Guess I'd better load up my Sims 2 game tonight and refresh my memory. I remember owning several restaurants but don't recall ever actually working as the cook.

You can. I did it this weekend. I wanted to post screenshots but I don't know why they were the size of ants so...I didn't post them. :p And I had the setting for max size screenshots on :\

I got frustrated at screenshot sizes with Sims 2 also. (bad enough that I had to fight with the sgr file to change to highest resolutions)

So I use fraps. Press F10 with that program left open, and all screenshots, of any game, are large. o:)
    (it takes screens w/ or w/out UI, and you can just keep it minimized while playing.) :D
    http://www.fraps.com/
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Guess I'd better load up my Sims 2 game tonight and refresh my memory. I remember owning several restaurants but don't recall ever actually working as the cook.

You can. I did it this weekend. I wanted to post screenshots but I don't know why they were the size of ants so...I didn't post them. :p And I had the setting for max size screenshots on :\

I got frustrated at screenshot sizes with Sims 2 also. (bad enough that I had to fight with the sgr file to change to highest resolutions)

So I use fraps. Press F10 with that program left open, and all screenshots, of any game, are large. o:)
    (it takes screens w/ or w/out UI, and you can just keep it minimized while playing.) :D
    http://www.fraps.com/

Thank you!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Seriously.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm guessing you can cook meals in your own restaurant (the same way you can ring up customers in your own store). However chefs will not work as an active career (with promotions and stuff). We should wait and see. It may just be a misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Lot's of people own restaurants and are not working back on the line- lol. You get to design it, set menus, set prices, set hours, work the floor talking to diners and glad handing and hire/deal with the various employees- I'm guessing much like the retail system in GTW. That would be some reason to own it. Oh, and collect the profit! Lol.
  • Options
    I mean it's still great that you can go there and actually eat and get served, but in terms of owning them...eh...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Even if there wasn't a chef career it'd still be nice if we could make food even as manager...or have something other to do besides hire people and chat with customers/employees
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Even if there wasn't a chef career it'd still be nice if we could make food even as manager...or have something other to do besides hire people and chat with customers/employees

That is what I have been talking about and it was the deal in TS2. Though I guess we can't?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    lalalalanalalalalalanala Posts: 102 Member

Yea, i understand if they have decided to just focus on the manger role and owner role but it would be fun if we got to help out
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    We need to wait for clarification on this. BUT, even if this is the case I am still thrilled with this pack. What I've seen I like.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    This stinks. I've spent the last few days maxing out my Sims cooking, baking and gourmet cooking skills for absolutely nothing
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member

I just asked that exact question on twitter. I think maybe I was getting confused. I was under the impression we could help out and cook food as well until I saw that they said no. But I'm waiting for clarification just to be sure.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    We need to wait for clarification on this. BUT, even if this is the case I am still thrilled with this pack. What I've seen I like.

Me too. I never played restaurants in OFB. And I don't really enjoy running bakeries in Ts4 (too much work, my sim spends most of his day baking and baking until his needs are all red. Day in day out). I'm more interested in the restaurant experience as a customer lol
  • Options
    I wish @SimGuruDrake could answer!! :(:(
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    I just asked that exact question on twitter. I think maybe I was getting confused. I was under the impression we could help out and cook food as well until I saw that they said no. But I'm waiting for clarification just to be sure.
    Good, if it's just no active chef career I'm fine with that really, just as long as we can still cook and help out
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png