Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Confirmed, we can't work as chefs :/ meh

Comments

• LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    @simgurudrake can we do any form of cooking for customers with our playable characters?
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Simfan923 wrote: »
    mrnhmath wrote: »
    Zerbu just tweeted that he maybe mod this in, depending of how the whole system is coded.

That's great and everything but not all of the players like or even use mods. So it kind of makes it bad that modders can do something the Gurus should be able to do already

tumblr_mxr34zwXVm1s9a988o6_500.gif

While I'm happy with the pack but dissapointed with the lack of being a chef, things like this are going to happen.
    Do you know how many mods there are for GTA V to add stuff that was in previous games, or stuff that just *should* be there too?

With a game pack budget they may have exceeded it by the time the finished the venue as a whole. At least they have made it possible for players to customise it with mods. Mods aren't just for *missing* stuff but it's also for people to personalise their games beyond the developers too.

So while a lot of players wouldn't even care to be a chef, those who can customise their games to do so.

That's understandable and I get that maybe there are some things the Gurus can't do to necessarily please every player but there are some things that should just be given as an option. We also need to think about the players who might not like to use mods or don't want to have to mod their game. And what about having options? You said it yourself there are people who don't care about Being a chef in their game and there are people who do care. So the people who do care should have to mod their game because they weren't given an option to do so? Like I said not everyone uses mods.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,805 Member
    Guess I'd better load up my Sims 2 game tonight and refresh my memory. I remember owning several restaurants but don't recall ever actually working as the cook.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    If in S2 when you played the chef, all you did was the same as a hired chef, meaning, it was automatic and you (the player) aren't doing anything to direct your simchef, how is that any better? It sounds like both of you, @Sigzy05 and @Cinebar, described the same thing which, if I understood you correctly, means you don't directly play your sim while cooking. That doesn't sound challenging at all. I'd rather be the manager.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2016
    Guess I'd better load up my Sims 2 game tonight and refresh my memory. I remember owning several restaurants but don't recall ever actually working as the cook.

You can. I did it this weekend. I wanted to post screenshots but I don't know why they were the size of ants so...I didn't post them. :p And I had the setting for max size screenshots on :\
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

An owned restaurant will not spawn any host, server, or cook. These positions must be filled by members of the owner's household, or by employees. -Sims wikia
    1FKDfKj.png
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Again they cut out the most fun part: making the food for your customers...
    But what's with the point of the experimental kitchen from the trailer if we can't use it as a chef? Maybe we can create our own food creations and the chefs get the recipe and have to cook it
    a256aFi.gif
    But what's with the point of the experimental kitchen from the trailer if we can't use it as a chef? Maybe we can create our own food creations and the chefs get the recipe and have to cook it

To me it just sounds like we can cook new experimental recipes at home
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2016
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    If in S2 when you played the chef, all you did was the same as a hired chef, meaning, it was automatic and you (the player) aren't doing anything to direct your simchef, how is that any better? It sounds like both of you, @Sigzy05 and @Cinebar, described the same thing which, if I understood you correctly, means you don't directly play your sim while cooking. That doesn't sound challenging at all. I'd rather be the manager.

For starters your cooking skill actually comes into play and you are still the manager so you get to set the prices and menu and manage employees as well. And GTW's tasks are what, at least I, do not want.

The more cooking skill the more recipes you can make and less chance to send a plate of burned food. All which make the costumers happier which means more mula. The higher the food quality the better.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Unless the manager sets the menu and decides to just list these on there. I thought it was going to be more like mixing weird ingredients like green eggs (seen in video) with ham. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • DiamondsR4everDiamondsR4ever Posts: 243 Member
    As a lover of sims 2 I never got to actually work as the chef. He was an elder npc. We could fill the jobs as the waitress and hostess but it was the option to hire. Never was I able to be a cook. But I do think this time they can have one of your non played sims working as a chef as well. So I don't understand were these expectations are coming from. Was it in sims 3? I never bought that series so I wouldn't know.
    The ignore feature is a blessing :D . Don't be afraid to use it!
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

And some would rather be the chef, because they enjoy cooking. We don't directly play our sims when they cook, either. We sit and watch an animation of them preparing food. Being the chef didn't have to be any different. (Unless EA wanted to make the experience better.) They could have at least given us that much.
  • DeerLordDeerLord Posts: 236 Member
    This would have been a perfect opportunity for some fun synergy between different content, which I thought was supposed to be a priority with every new pack.

Base game Culinary+Get to Work=... sell some new stoves at your retail store or something, I guess?
    Nice :/
    edited May 2016

Oh, it is. Because if your Sim needs a break in TS2 (remember they die if hungry) you don't have another chef and the food chain stops if no one is cooking. You do have to have a strategy to give your employees a break or your family members or yourself. Sims die in TS2. Or get angry curse out your Sims and quit. Leaving your business in a bind. It's not as simple as watching an animation. You must have a backup plan when Sims need to pee, eat, and have fun. Or sleep. ETA: Because they are assigned and you must have someone to take over that assignment. Or you have Sims seated waiting with no food coming if chef on break, and they will die.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • lalalalanalalalalalanala Posts: 102 Member
    edited May 2016
    As a lover of sims 2 I never got to actually work as the chef. He was an elder npc. We could fill the jobs as the waitress and hostess but it was the option to hire. Never was I able to be a cook. But I do think this time they can have one of your non played sims working as a chef as well. So I don't understand were these expectations are coming from. Was it in sims 3? I never bought that series so I wouldn't know.

You could work/be assigned as a chef in the sims 2.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    @simgurudrake can we do any form of cooking for customers with our playable characters?

Probable answer: "Sure, you can cook food and just set it out anytime you want." Lol.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,386 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Delay it, delay it now.

No dont. I've waited a year for this pack as it is.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    This doesn't sound that bad to me. I'm reserving judgment til it arrives. I do like the idea of owning a chain of restaurants like a franchise and truth be told the last thing I want to do is stand around cranking out dishes all day like in the bakery... I mean it might be fun to be the chef for a couple of hours game play but in the end it'll get tedious just like real restaurant work and I'm just going to leave it to an NPC anyway. I'm really looking forward to managing the shop and OWNING the shop. Sorry for those that really wanted to be a chef, though but in the end I don't think this is a real big deal and I don't think it'll make a lot of difference in play ability in the pack for me.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Delay it, delay it now.

Didn't we all? Better release something not halfbaked later than half baked earlier.
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Delay it, delay it now.

Didn't we all? Better release something not halfbaked later than half baked earlier.

If this gets delayed so does the stuffpack.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Delay it, delay it now.

If this gets delayed so does the stuffpack.

Well if it's ending up being a better quality product, I think few people will have issues with that.

I'm not sure why you didn't have an empty spot for chef. I built many restaurants in TS2 and always had to hire one. In NL the chef is a townie that auto shows up. But not in OFB.
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Okay I never owned a restaurant in sims 2 and now you all are making me want to try!

Shame TS4 doesn't appear to have the same freedoms coming in the pack.
  • DiamondsR4everDiamondsR4ever Posts: 243 Member

You could work/be assigned as a chef in the sims 2.

Ok, it seems like they could do it with this game as well. But to go to work as one I have never been able to do that. Only hire those positions as a manager. And when their balls turn color you have to give them a break or they quit. I haven't played Sims 2 in almost two years.
    The ignore feature is a blessing :D . Don't be afraid to use it!
    We can still run multiple restaurants as a manager.