Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    ImmortalDreams42ImmortalDreams42 Posts: 4 New Member
    I don't know if this has been said or not, but one thing I don't like about Build Mode has to do with the way the half-walls were designed. The other day, I realized how incompatible with roofs they are; the default roof placement is still set as if there is a full sized wall there, so the roof will float every time. I found this a little irritating, considering all the other issues with roofs (clipping through walls...). I wish there were a "free" way to place roofs, so that buildings can be designed in a way that suits us. It just doesn't seem right to have a roof floating in midair, but that is where the grids are automatically set - even on those shorter walls. In other words, I believe the game should have a more open height adjustment in general. I saw an excellent idea in the main "thread" about being able to adjust the height of certain floors - rather than the entire floor. This would be really useful, and so would being able to adjust the height at which a roof can be placed.
  • Options
    aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    edited September 2015
    I think I found a new problem. If you use entablatures (friezes) of different color schemes on the same level, it messes up the corners closest to each other where the color scheme changes. The entablatures don't even have to be touching for this to happen. In the pictures below, you will see that I have used two different color schemes: brown & white, blue & white. When brown is next to brown, the corners are fine. When blue is next to blue, the corners are fine. When brown is next to blue, the corners get messed up. If I change the colors of different parts of the entablatures, the messed up corners will adjust to the new color schemes.
    09-07-15_10-56nbspPM_zps1h0mwmxc.png
    09-07-15_10-56nbspPM-2_zpsokj8k3na.png
    And changing one of the blues to brown:
    09-07-15_10-58nbspPM_zpsxoag9avm.png
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @rosemow Thank you. It may be related, but this particular issue doesn't have to do with how the lot appears on the map, but rather its orientation when saving and taking the gallery pictures of the lot. The gallery pictures are taken from the wrong direction according to how the lot is situated in build mode.

@ImmortalDreams42 while they're called half walls, their implementation seems to have more in common with fencing than walls really. For instance, they allow roofing to clip into a room just as fences do (we have requested that this be changed). Also, they obviously haven't been tied into level heights, which is why you can't place a roof at the correct level to fit a half wall. We do have the following requests pertaining to level height already listed in the index:
    • Adjust level height by room/unit rather than across the entire lot
    • Add half height stairs (or auto adjust stairs to preset levels) to go with half walls.
    • Enable split levels above ground level and also change ground floor splits so that we don't need to carve them out from the foundation (requested by k3oki)
    • Consider adding 1-2 *shorter* levels to wall height (see pg. 11 for full description of idea - this could work for enabling split levels)

We have also requested the following with regard to roofing:
    • Let us use MOO height adjustment (i.e. 9 and 0) on roofs, so that we can stack them.
    I think if some of the above ideas were implemented, it would probably satisfy your requests also.

@aquilifer There is definitely something odd going on with that particular frieze. I was not able to duplicate your exact glitch, but I was able to create my own. I was not able to find a problem with any of the other frieze styles. Here are some shots of what happened in my game:

allisokay_zpssbnlo6zo.jpg
    Everything looked fine with my initial setup - used two different colors on the top level.

diffcolsokay_zps36ddixxg.jpg
    Set up more friezes on the first level - using different colors was fine.

level1problem_zpsdpxhgzsm.jpg
    When I changed them to the same color, my number of deco bars suddenly dropped from 3 to 2 on connecting friezes.

samecolorsnotokay_zpsqhi2ksjh.jpg
    When I changed it back to a different color on one side, those connecting friezes corrected back to 3 bars.

So I wound up seeing sort of the reverse of what you saw, yet obviously, there's some kind of a glitch. I did want to ask which lot you were building on, as sometimes these things look different in different locations. I will add this to our list, and if anyone else could take a look in their game to see if they've got any kind of a glitch, it would be helpful. The particular problem frieze is called "FriezetoBeMe."
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    @BryonyRae I think @aquilifer 's glitch also has something to do with the fact that the rooms are adjacent to each other. It's hard to see on yours, but it looks like you've set the corner without the frieze as a separate room from the sections that have it. That is apparently sufficient to make the friezes work right.

@aquilifer : you can fix your problem by setting those protruding bays as different "rooms" from the overall room they're attached to, either by removing the ceiling on the bay, or introducing a spandrel between the bay and the room. That would also have the added advantage of making it easier to change the wall colours of the bays without changing it on the rest of the room, or vice-versa.
  • Options
    @Xinqun @auilifer can clarify, but I assumed that even though the dividing walls had been eliminated, he drew that corner as a separate room; otherwise the freeze would have encompassed the entire area. At least, in my game, it wasn't working to place a freeze on just a portion of a room like it does with edging, so I had to create the spaces separately. At any rate, my technique didn't make the friezes work right either. The number of deco squares should be consistent, in my opinion, regardless of which colors are used adjacently.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    Yes, but once the walls between rooms are removed, the two rooms join to become a single room. However, if one of the two rooms has a ceiling and the other one does not (you can put another floor above to replace the missing ceiling) then the game will continue to recognise the two rooms as separate entities.

Also, another way of removing unwanted sections of frieze is to trace over the wall with the wall tool, essentially rebuilding it. This is useful when, for whatever reason, you wind up with a frieze continuing inside the house. You'll lose any wall finish you had on it, though.
  • Options
    @Xinqun thanks for the clarification. I can try to more closely duplicate @aquilifer's setup the next time I am in game. Were you able to reproduce the same graphics glitch he is seeing in your game?
  • Options
    aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    I cut them off as individual rooms when I was playing around with switching the color schemes. Even if they're separate rooms, the same thing still happened to the corners. I fact, you can see that it happens to the corner of the red room, which is its own separate room, in all three example pictures.

Regarding the specific lot, I don't know its usual name (since it's already renamed in my game), but it's in Newcrest. There are two different 15x20 lots at the top of the screen, and it's the lower one of those two; the one closer to the player.
  • Options
    @BryonyRae Yes. The glitch apparently only happens when the wall without the frieze belongs to the same room as at least one of the friezes. If it belongs to a different room entirely, the glitch doesn't happen.

(Well, actually there's a third set of circumstances involving a frieze on an interior wall and a fence between the room-with-frieze and the room-without-frieze, but I don't think anyone actually wants a frieze indoors.)
  • Options
    Okay, I was able to duplicate your issue exactly, @aquilifer, and on multiple lots. Definitely room related as @Xinqun noted. Thanks, both of you, for the clarifications.
  • Options
    RyeCris16 wrote: »
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Requests Fulfilled:
    • 11/8/14 Let us place stairs over stairs (for floating stairs) (requested by RyeCris16) <-- This appears to work now

I guess you're right! :smiley: I can now place stairs over stairs even without the MOO cheat! :)
    Stairs%20Over%20Stairs_zps5lntrd9u.png

There seems to be some odd behavior when trying to apply fencing around the stair gaps, I've noticed. Has anyone else experienced it? In some cases, it works fine, and then in others, when you try to add fencing, the game wants to delete the stairs.

stackingstairsnfences_zpsm69gqvhv.jpg

You can see that the stairs and fencing are arranged exactly the same on the two levels, and on the upper level, I had no problems, but the level below it wouldn't work properly. I tried narrowing my stairs and applying a segment of fencing first in order to see what was going on, and I got the error that stairs can't intersect with fencing, although they are a good two tiles away from it. I wound up somehow working around it by putting a new set of stairs off to the side that I was able to pull across. I'm going to have to go through the whole process again on the other side of my WIP, since I'm setting up 4 stacking staircases, so we'll see what happens on that side, but there's definitely something weird going on (turning MOO on didn't help, by the way).

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Another weird thing I just went through was in trying to place a curved section and then delete some of its fencing. I was working on the floor below where you see the red stairs in the image above, as I want a similar curved layout there (although larger). When I placed the curved section and then tried to delete some of its fencing, I got an error about an invalid curved section. I tried placing the section in more of the middle of the space, in case the nearby rocks were interfering, but it didn't matter. I also noticed a graphics glitch in the flooring by the curve, so I don't know if I'm dealing with some sort of terrain issue here... I'm working on the Desert Bloom lot in Oasis Springs, and I've never used it before, so perhaps there is an issue with it.

weirdcurvederror_zpskqypykd3.jpg
  • Options
    The game doesn't do convex curves, as far as I can tell. If you have curved fencing, any sort of flooring on the convex side will come out that way.
  • Options
    Ah, so probably just a graphics glitch from that then. I will just have to keep working with the placement until I'm able to eliminate the fencing. It's so weird when something works fine on one level and then fails on another. Thank you for the feedback @Xinqun.
  • Options
    Just adding a quick request from this thread over on the AHQ. Please enable the camera to drop down below ground level so that we can get good shots in TAB camera man mode. Currently, the only way to get the TAB camera to work below ground level is to bump down to the basement level in live mode, zoom into within the level and then press TAB. Unlike above ground level, you cannot use the Q button to adjust your height down below it unless you are already within the level. This workaround is okay as long as you're not dealing with a basement which has been opened to the levels above; in that case, you won't be able to get pictures from the basement of those exposed upper levels - only a fake basement ceiling will show.
  • Options
    New bug to report from this thread. Even after deleting half walls, sims will still place objects upon them. This happens even with bb.moveobjects turned off. Here is an image:

halfwallstaying_zpsxbb4mcni.jpg

It's pretty simple to reproduce this bug. Add a couple of half walls in your kitchen and eliminate other nearby counters. Make sure there is a sink near the walls. Get your sims to dirty up some dishes. Delete the half walls. Have your sims do clean up, but cancel the action when they are near the sink (but before they use it). If the ex half walls were located near the sink and other counters are not, the sim will place the dishes on the missing half wall.
  • Options
    mommataurus2mommataurus2 Posts: 1,845 Member
    Whoa that's a boat load of glitches!
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Check out my showcase.Come Check Out My New Sims Blog! https://greetingsfromwindenburg.wordpress.com/

Big shout out to @Cbear13 the amazingly talented and ever wonderful creator of my siggie!

• Options
    As reported in this thread, there is a bug when walling off a porch space that causes a portion of the porch beyond the wall to be deleted. First, here is an image of the porch I created:
    porch1_zpsyps9sabe.jpg

Now, adding a wall:
    porch2_zpsu8lt3qrp.jpg

Porch area beyond wall was deleted once wall was dragged all the way across:
    porch3_zps5dmumx85.jpg

If you draw a room instead of using the wall tool, you can avoid the behavior, but using wall tool vs. room tool shouldn't matter:
    porch4_zpso5mo0qyo.jpg
  • Options
    As reported on the AHQ here, there is a graphics glitch with the Get To Work Shantilly Framed Window that causes sims located in line with it (a touch to the left) to flicker if there is a protruding wall to its left. I took some video that demonstrates how to reproduce the issue - see it here.
  • Options
    SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited September 2015
    Great topic, thank you. I found this topic yesterday when I was looking for some info and decide to attribute my experiences and wishes.

My wishes:
    • What I would like to see in Build mode is the counting of the walls and tiles when drawing a wall or placing tiles like in The Sims 3.
      I really miss this feature (I used it a lot).
    iblOfwKCsXuA2o.jpg
    • What drives me 'crazy' is the notification system. I make a lot of screens for my site (to make tuts) and with every screen I make I get a notification. It's very annoying. So I would love to have an option (check boxes or something like that) where I can specify which notifications I want to receive and which notifications I don't want. I also use Fraps a lot to make pictures and when I forget to click this notification away, it's on my Fraps screen. It slows me down when making pictures because I have to consider this over and over, again and again. With a couple of pictures, OK, but I often make dozens/hundreds pictures.
    inOcyCoWm3CJh.jpg
    • Also entering directly into the World map to edit lots instead of making, placing and removing a family would be preferably to me.
    • Every Sim I make or re-use from my library gets automatically saved to my library (even when there is already a copy of the Sim in the library). I don't like this, because I use a lot of Sims not to play with but to make tutorials or to test/try something, so I remove it manually. My tray folder is already big enough as it is and I wounder if EA cleans this folder up every time I remove something from the library (the folder looks like is stay's big, with a lot of files).
    • I'am very (very) precise and organizational and for me EA messes everything up by saving everything to my library and that automatic save system. All my folders get bigger and bigger (and more unorganized) and I'am not even doing that. I keep removing what EA is saving. I'am perfectly capably of saving (and making back-ups) myself, I don't need EA to do that so I would like to see this change. Or maybe just don't auto save so much (because I can imagine for some players this is very helpful) and don't save Sims that are already in the library,
    • Can anyone please inform me if EA is cleaning the folders up when I remove something. If not, I would like to see this change,
    • In Debug there are more than 800 items. I would love to see this menu more organised (like in The Sims 3). Same goes for the personal inventory of Sims.

My bugs:
    As reported in this thread, there is a bug when walling off a porch space that causes a portion of the porch beyond the wall to be deleted.
    I have noticed this too. I have included it in one of my tutorials (I have a Dutch fansite) because I thought is was normal. Never realized this was a bug.

I have a big bug with exterior trims (I think they are called that). When I apply this on two rounded decks that I have slided together, I can't get it removed from the part that is round. Or they go in each other.

ibcXViItiODHj8.jpg

ibbAzrOHz4SRRZ.jpg

icGIyWQSIRFhj.jpg

I wanted to know if this happens because of something I did or didn't do or whether is it a bug. I still don't know that for sure but after hours of trying to fix this problem, I think it's a bug. With my boat I was able to resolve this issue, after many hours of trail and error, making three boats, recreating the bug (and isolate it), undo my actions, things like that. In case my 'solution' helps somebody, this is how I did it:
    • I draw a basement and relocated the second floor where I had this problem to the basement (this was not my first 'solution' and I was fed up with making the second floor from scratch for the how many times).
    • After that I could remove the trims, also from the round corners.
    • I placed the second floor back.
    • Put the trims back.
    • Removed this basement.
    • Still I have found it's wise to check regularly if you can remove the trims from the round corners.

PS. I did make room units of everything (even the roof) whether the room had walls/fences or not.

iHVvIlSN4C8cy.jpg

in6HqzCg1D6W.jpg

iXwCob9hK4u2O.jpg

This worked in this situation but when I was working on my apartment tut, I encounter the same problem with the rounded corners of my balcony's on the second floor which I could not resolve (no matter what I did). I 'resolved' this by using a slightly different form for my balcony what looked the most round. But still, even now when I place a rounded deck, a trim is stuck on the round part which I only get removed by removing the in-door room that is attached to this balcony or when I let this indoor-room NOT connect to the balcony which is not an option to me.

Hope this helps. I have read the first post and some other messages but not all (it's to much) so I hope I don't attribute something that is already attribute a hundred times. I couldn't see it in the first post. It's too bad I can't place pics in this topic in a normal way because on the English forum I don't have enough rights: on the Dutch forum I have, so that's seems strange to me.

Thank you for you're attention.
    Take care!
    Post edited by SimLibby on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    SimLibby wrote: »
    • Also entering directly into the World map to edit lots instead of making, placing and removing a family would be preferably to me.
    • Every Sim I make or re-use from my library gets automatically saved to my library (even when there is already a copy of the Sim in the library). I don't like this, because I use a lot of Sims not to play with but to make tutorials or to test/try something, so I remove it manually. My tray folder is already big enough as it is and I wounder if EA cleans this folder up every time I remove something from the library (the folder looks like is stay's big, with a lot of files).

Perhaps I'm not understanding this properly, but can't you already do this? From the World map, you can click on an empty, unoccupied lot and choose to build on it, without moving a family into it. And I've found that if I place a family into a lot directly from the library (without using the "create new household to move in" option in the lot menu) the family will not resave into the library.

ETA:
    Oh, hang on, I think I know what you mean here ... you mean that initial "make a family" thing that happens when you start a completely new game, one where you don't have any played families in, right? It's been so long since I've seen that ... I guess the best workaround I can suggest is to do it once, put the family in one lot, save the game without removing the family, and do all your building from that one savegame. Though I suppose it's only a "workaround"....
  • Options
    Xinqun wrote: »

ETA:
    Oh, hang on, I think I know what you mean here ... you mean that initial "make a family" thing that happens when you start a completely new game, one where you don't have any played families in, right? I guess the best workaround I can suggest is to do it once, put the family in one lot, save the game without removing the family, and do all your building from that one savegame. Though I suppose it's only a "workaround"....
    Right :). I always have to place a family, even when I don't want to play with it and just fiddling around in lot editing or the world map. So I place a family which I remove because often I want to have a map with no green "This is you're active family' icon for the screens I make. But I have to do this a lot because of the nature in which I use the game the most (making tutorials and screens for my site). I haven't saved those games though, I will do that. Still I really would like it, if it's the same as Edit in game in The Sims 3.
  • Options
    @SimLibby Welcome to the thread! :) Regarding your requests:
    • Grid Counts - absolutely, manually counting these has been a low level irritant for a while now. We should have requested this long ago!
    • Notification options - I don't see this as a build mode issue, but I've definitely heard other complaints on it, and I'm no fan of getting notified that it's full and having to go delete it. Here is a thread from the Feedback section: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/827265/notification-harassment-is-back, and it's not the only one out there. I can see why people would like multiple options for notifications, but quite honestly, I think we'll be lucky to get an on/off option. It could definitely be helpful in your situation, when you know you're going to be taking a bunch of pictures during a build session, you could just turn it off beforehand and then back on afterward. As for Fraps, I use it too. However, most of the time when I'm taking pictures or filming video, I've got a sim on the lot and am in Camera man mode (TAB) in live mode. Notifications don't pop up in this mode. Perhaps it might help you.
    • What I'd recommend in order to bypass the sim creation stage for building, would be to create a new game and go through that process just once, then save it directly after placing your new family (wherever) but before doing anything in the game. Save that as "basebuild" or the like, and use that save as your base every time you're doing a new build. Make sure to Save As a new name after you load it, so that the original save will always be in pristine condition.
    • Yes, EA does delete the item from the tray folder; I have watched it in action. Again, if you load a save and work from it rather than creating a new game, there should no longer be duplication of sims in your library.
    • Beyond newly created households, what else is being auto-saved to your library? I haven't experienced anything going into my library automatically other than those.
    • After you toggle bb.showhiddenobjects, you can look under categories, such as decor - sculptures, and you will see relevant debug objects there. I'm not sure if *all* debug objects have been categorized, however. It is certainly something we can request.

Regarding your bugs:
    • Yeah, I consider the walls deleting the porch a bug because 1) drawing walls does not normally cause other structures to be deleted, and 2) drawing rooms in the same manner does not delete the porch.
    • I am having trouble duplicating your issue with trim on a curved surface. When I place my curved surfaces together (whether using the flat as in your image or one of the decks), they interlink, and the game then treats them as one unit. When I place trim, it goes across the whole surface; when I remove it, it removes from the entire surface. Now, if you are holding the SHIFT key for placement, it's a different story and behaves more like what your images are showing (except deletion still applies to the entire surface). Are you using SHIFT while placing, or could you maybe have some keyboard mapping thing going on? If you could upload a build where you are currently experiencing the glitch and provide me with the link, I can try testing it in my game.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Grid Counts - absolutely, manually counting these has been a low level irritant for a while now. We should have requested this long ago!
    YES! For me it's not a low level of irritation, but high.
    • Notification options - I don't see this as a build mode issue, but I've definitely heard other complaints on it, and I'm no fan of getting notified that it's full and having to go delete it. Here is a thread from the Feedback section: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/827265/notification-harassment-is-back, and it's not the only one out there. I can see why people would like multiple options for notifications, but quite honestly, I think we'll be lucky to get an on/off option. As for Fraps, I use it too. However, most of the time when I'm taking pictures or filming video, I've got a sim on the lot and am in Camera man mode (TAB) in live mode. Notifications don't pop up in this mode. Perhaps it might help you.
    I thought it was indeed no building issue but I was on a roll with my complaints. ;) An on/off function would also be preferable by me. Thanks for the link.

Fraps: I hardly ever use TAB when using fraps because it's not that steady when moving around (the camera flips quickly). I make most screens in Build mode. I either use Fraps when I want the menu on the screen or [C] when I don't want the menu. I'am aware there is a game option where the UIC also gets on screens, but I prefer Fraps because I always have used it. Also for The Sims 3 because my [PRT SCR] doesn't works in The Sims 3. When I don't use [C] I don't get notifications so then it doesn't bother me when using fraps (it only bothers me a lot when using [C]).
    Yes, EA does delete the item from the tray folder; I have watched it in action.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Beyond newly created households, what else is being auto-saved to your library? I haven't experienced anything going into my library automatically other than those.
    Nothing, only the households/Sims I mentioned are saved to my library. Auto saving occurs when I create a new game which I do not save (that's very frustrating for my organised mind).
    After you toggle bb.showhiddenobjects, you can look under categories, such as decor - sculptures, and you will see relevant debug objects there. I'm not sure if *all* debug objects have been categorized, however. It is certainly something we can request.
    This would also be great (If I know which categories to use) but it's not what I mean. I mean tabs with different items like in the Sims 3 where there is a tab with tomb items, fish spawners, etc.
    Yeah, I consider the walls deleting the porch a bug because 1) drawing walls does not normally cause other structures to be deleted, and 2) drawing rooms in the same manner does not delete the porch.
    Once I experimented with the other outdoor decks and it only happened with the round deck (from you're picture).
    I am having trouble duplicating your issue with trim on a curved surface. When I place my curved surfaces together (whether using the flat as in your image or one of the decks), they interlink, and the game then treats them as one unit. When I place trim, it goes across the whole surface; when I remove it, it removes from the entire surface. Now, if you are holding the SHIFT key for placement, it's a different story and behaves more like what your images are showing (except deletion still applies to the entire surface). Are you using SHIFT while placing, or could you maybe have some keyboard mapping thing going on? If you could upload a build where you are currently experiencing the glitch and provide me with the link, I can try testing it in my game.
    I did NOT use [SHIFT]. What kind of keyboard mapping, it's not clear for me what you mean.

I don't have a bad copy of the boat. I went to great lengths not to have this bug on the boat when uploading.
    But I downloaded two other lots to see if those lots also had this problem (and yes):
    • The Apartment - Origin ID: DutchSimsMaster
    • Boat Trip - Origin ID: jasminehartsmcc (for the record: this boat is not in my game and I did not play with it.)
      (this boat is originally by JOL1990, as you know because you commented: it's a small world that I come across you between thousands of uploads)

As for my creations - Origin ID: SimLibby
    With those creations I also used hashtags #SimsExpressie and #Buildmydream.
    • Nightclub Starboard (maybe you can recreate the problem with my boat)
    • Appartementen Complex

About my apartment on the gallery: I removed the round corners but if you edit the marked red spot with a round deck, there are trims on (that happened in my game) as seen in the pictures below.

iowIDeJxAHwNl.jpg

I do still have some old pictures:
    This worked in this situation but when I was working on my apartment tut, I encounter the same problem with the rounded corners of my balcony's on the second floor which I could not resolve (no matter what I did). I 'resolved' this by using a slightly different form for my balcony what looked the most round. But still, even now when I place a rounded deck, a trim is stuck on the round part which I only get removed by removing the in-door room that is attached to this balcony or when I let this indoor-room NOT connect to the balcony which is not an option to me.

iNpDiYutEd2WR.jpg

ibykwcXGFYXZAx.jpg

Old version of my apartment. When I put the trim on the right edge, it automatically was placed on the round corners of the balcony.

ibkWVFwitR5hsx.jpg

If I'am not doing something right, I would love to know about it. At this point I really dislike trims (but I really want to use them) because I spent hours and hours on it, trying to fix the problem, or isolate it to see if there was something I could do different so this problem doesn't occur. With no luck, I keep having this problem. I found one topic on the issue with no response.
    http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=22517.0

Thank you very much for you're quick response and assistance. I really appreciate it.

EDIT:
    Yesterday I came across this topic because I was looking for information about debug. If I upload something to the gallery with debug items, do those items stay on the lot? I have found answers but in older topics so I would really like to have a confirmation (to make sure). Thank you.
    Post edited by SimLibby on