Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    Moonlight.SonataMoonlight.Sonata Posts: 125 Member
    edited July 2015
    I love all the suggestions. I saw glass fencing, roofing and tiles. But I would love glass floor tiles. Also modular green house, so you can add outdoor stuff inside, without moo.
    Creation and Inspiration.
    rsz_1simstories.jpg
    Origin ID: Lunarokz | tumblr: http://lunarokz.tumblr.com/ | Wordpress: https://lunarokz.wordpress.com/
    Blogger: http://lunarokz.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    Hi Bry! I'm soo sorry for taking you so long to respond about the lightning problem. I was very busy with my build and I don't have time to reply you. I will answer you once I'm free today. Thanks again for the report about the spoiling light problem. :)
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • Options
    TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    edited July 2015
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Glad that worked for you @kristinemancuso! If you ever manage to duplicate it in the future, let me know. If we can get the steps to reproduce it, then we can report it as a bug.

If I quote @kristinemancuso the forum eats the post, but her pics are on page 25 for reference.

Sorry for the late reply, but I play more than I build, and am always several pages behind in this thread.

I have had the same issue with Maxis WC Museum for as long as I can remember. I just thought it was a weird design choice that I didn't understand until I read this post. When they added lots to our library recently, it even shows there:

SimsMaxisMuseum_zpsigizyuc3.png

Post edited by TriX0099 on
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @Moonlight_Sonata added to our list. :)

@RyeCris16 No worries. There's no time limit to the discussion. :)

@Trix0099 Interesting catch! So the museum was glitched from release? I think there is definitely a bug going on here, but until we can reproduce it in a specific manner, it is tough to report.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    HeidelbeermarmeladeHeidelbeermarmelade Posts: 161 Member
    edited July 2015
    Wow, great thread! I'll be busy for a while to catch up. :)

I'm rebuilding/renovating one of my very first houses in TS4 and have now to deal with an issue concerning stairs that is new to me. I would like to know if this is a bug or if the banisters actually are supposed to work this (to me new) way. @TriX0099 said here are the experts. :)

March 2015: The banister is only on one side of the stairs. Unfortunately I didn't have a screenshot of the floor above, so you can't see that due to the lacking banister on the right side the banister didn't conflict with the fence.

26.03.15_10-08-5_zpsnzowmqbw.png

July 2015: Banister on both sides of the stairs. It conflicts with the fence what looks horrible in my opinion. Have they changed the priorities of fences versus banisters? (Thank you, TriX0099, for your words - I couldn't have described the situation more to the point. I hope you didn't mind that I copy them.)

24.07.15_23-44-2_zpsq8hcut8f.png

24.07.15_23-44-3_zpsmu7lodeq.png

By the way: same lot in the same neighborhood. I tried different banisters and different fences - don't seem to make any difference. :/

I hope my problem wasn't mentioned before - at the moment I don't have the time to scan the entire thread. If so, I'll delete this post, of course.
  • Options
    SpecterCodySpecterCody Posts: 602 Member
    edited July 2015
    @BryonyRae Thank you for keeping up with this thread and compiling everything, it seems like a lot of work so I hope it helps get us proper fixes :smile:

I had some ideas to help expedite the process of coloring lights. First we should definitely be able to recolor lights in build mode, relying on a Sim is awkward and limiting. Second, we need an option to recolor all lights within the same room. The entire lot option is only useful if all your lights are going to be the same color, which to me isn't very useful at all. If you want 20 lamps to be blue, throw them all in a room together and do one recolor command and voila, all done!. An alternative that I would MUCH PREFER is to let the eyedropper clone light color data as well, its a complete bummer that it doesn't do that currently. Thanks again!

Ooh and I just had another awesome idea that's unrelated! Angled/curved halfwalls:

The premise would be using the same system that roofing uses to drag roofs to be steeper or wider or more curved, etc.. we could have half walls with the same shapes. Imagine the current gable or half gable roofs without the actual roof part, just the support wall under it. Then, let us apply the halfwall trims to them and voila, opens a whole new world of design possibilities!
  • Options
    Chris2fer03Chris2fer03 Posts: 650 Member
    Hey Bry, thanks for the hard work and effort that you put into testing and updating feedback/requests. I think you are a great voice for the building community, EA should hire you! :)

I would like to submit a request that I don't believe has made it onto your list yet. I would love some sort of decor or roof accents to add some character to rooflines when building. You noticed my use of a flower vase in my Edenside build, I think something of that sort would add some flare to roof peaks. A few options similar to the friezes would be an awesome addition to build mode. :)

Here is an example:
    22158Ard.jpg
    Gallery ID: chris2fer03
    ~Showcase Thread~ ~Photobucket~
    ophze_zps7vbzpsi9.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Sorry, everyone, for the late response. I've been buried this past week!

@Heidelbeermarmelade I don't recall the stair railings ever behaving differently than what you've observed. We have always had to choose to either have railings on both sides or not at all, and we made the request early on to change this, as it is indeed annoying. When there is a wall next to a set of stairs, the railing on the wall side is suppressed, but at the top, if it is open, the railing will show up. If a fence is placed along the railing, the railing does indeed take precedence. If any other builders remember this working differently in the past, let me know, but I know I struggled with it going all the way back to one of my earliest builds. I think if we could just get control over placing each railing separately, this would no longer be an issue.

@SpecterCody It is indeed a bit of work! You're welcome, and I hope so too. :) We do have requests in to be able to set lighting color and intensity in build mode as well as to affect those settings on a room by room basis (under the "Other" category). I agree that both would be very helpful! We have requested curved walls, and assuming that half walls will take on the attributes of walls (let's hope that logic prevails), if we ever get that request fulfilled, we should get two for one.

Thanks @Chris2fer03! If I ever went to work in IT again, it would definitely be a dream job. But they'd have to let me work remotely, part-time, with frequent breaks for kids, etc. so I'm doubting it. :p With regard to your roofing request, would you please provide a few specific examples and/or images of the types of decoration you'd want? Edit: Oh, and we do have this request regarding roof décor - 1/3/15 Add roof décor, such as dormers, cupolas, towers, and turrets that would help us to build up a structure's height without having to add another level (requested by FKM100)
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    A few new requests:
    • From this thread, a request from @siennaSTAR: When creating a room in a space where flooring is already placed, please enable the room to recognize the pre-existing flooring and include it in the room, rather than just placing the default room flooring over the pre-existing flooring.
    • Please add one tile dressers; I would really like an alternative to all of the bulky dressers that we have right now.
    • Please add 3 tile doors and archways.
    • Please change it so that object collision routing doesn't cross levels. For instance, if I place a display case from Get To Work in the basement and enlarge it so that it appears to exist above ground level, bars, grills, stoves, and the card table will not function if they are placed "inside" it (they are actually placed above it and on another level). However, many other interactive objects will function just fine, so it seems like just a few objects would need to be reviewed to eliminate this problem.
    • Please add more windows like the One-way Mirror Window from Get To Work but with different shapes and sizes.
    • Please update the One-way Mirror Window so that its reflectivity matches mirrors; currently, it does not reflect the same details that mirrors do:
      mirrorwindow_zps1irv35wq.jpg
      Notice how there are trees showing in the regular mirrored surface that are cut-off in the window's mirrored surface. Yet the mirrored window does show the hills in the background as the mirrors do.

And a bug:
    • Bug - items placed in basement spaces (outside of rooms) do not rotate with the lot when it is moved, either via Move House with shift pressed, or by Move Lot. All objects on the lot, whether inside or outside of rooms, should move with lot when selected.

Post edited by BryonyRae on
  • Options
    MandysAMessMandysAMess Posts: 2,694 Member
    Hi, everyone! I was directed here by rosemow :) to add a bug I'm experiencing.

My terrain paints keep disappearing? Every single lot build, they disappear. I'm not 100% certain but I think it's only happening when building on a lot that's not currently owned by a sim? I'll have to start paying more attention but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

It's becoming very frustrating to re-do the painting. At first I thought it might be a similar bug to one I had in TS3 when layering terrain paints or using too many different paints they would sometimes vanish but I've been having this issue even when using only 1 paint :'( if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it!
    My Simblr: WaffleKone
  • Options
    cfraser10cfraser10 Posts: 41 Member
    Hello! This is quite the thread. I searched through this earlier to see if my issue was mentioned and wasn't sure if I was supposed to post this here or make my own thread first, but I was directed here by @rosemow after making my own thread.

I'm unable to post screenshots cuz I'm new, but I will try to describe my issue to the best of my ability:

Basically I've noticed that spandrels, columns, and friezes don't interact nicely when placed near each other. I have a frieze placed around the top of the 4th floor of a building. I also have a balcony on that floor that spans the whole front edge of the house on that floor, and I placed railing-fence, columns, and spandrels around the edge of the balcony. On the two front corners of the house the frieze ends where the house transitions to balcony. However, the default height for columns that are placed against the house on that corner is overridden by the frieze so that the columns only reach to the bottom of the frieze. The spandrels default height also gets overridden in this manner regardless of whether the columns are there or not. The section located in the tile adjacent to the house gets disconnected from the rest of the "wall" of the balcony and just sits by itself a couple feet down near the middle of the frieze.

This also occurred on my 1st floor patio on the same house, so I don't think it is just an issue with being on the highest floor of the property and not being able to build any higher.
  • Options
    @MandysAMess Just to ask the requisite questions, do you use any mods or CC? If so, have you tried removing them and clearing your cache? Either way, have you tried repairing your game? I'm guessing @rosemow may have already asked these questions, and if so, I apologize for the repetition.

Assuming you've already eliminated mods/cc as a factor and are running a repaired game, some follow up questions:
    1. Have you tried on several different lots, and if so, which ones?
    2. At what point in the process are they disappearing, for instance, does it happen while you're working on the build, or when you re-load your save?
    3. When do you apply your terrain paint? i.e. before building the structure, after building the structure, or all throughout the process?
    4. Have you tried saving a WIP to the library while the terrain paints are still present? If you then place it from your library on a lot, what happens?
    5. Are you using the same save to build from? If so, have you tried starting fresh by creating a new game?

These are just some initial questions to try to get to the point where we might be able to reproduce the problem or at least figure out at what point in the process it is occurring to maybe track down a trigger. I have not heard of this occurring before, and it has not happened in my game. I typically apply my terrain paint near the end of each build though, which might be a factor.
  • Options
    @cfraser10 It may be a little challenging without pictures to go by, but I will try investigating this the next time I'm in game. If you can provide me with links to your screen shots, I could always look them up myself and post them for you. You can type a link where you just leave a space between the h and ttp://address, and I can then grab it.
  • Options
    @MandysAMess Just to ask the requisite questions, do you use any mods or CC? If so, have you tried removing them and clearing your cache? Either way, have you tried repairing your game? I'm guessing @rosemow may have already asked these questions, and if so, I apologize for the repetition.

Assuming you've already eliminated mods/cc as a factor and are running a repaired game, some follow up questions:
    1. Have you tried on several different lots, and if so, which ones?
    2. At what point in the process are they disappearing, for instance, does it happen while you're working on the build, or when you re-load your save?
    3. When do you apply your terrain paint? i.e. before building the structure, after building the structure, or all throughout the process?
    4. Have you tried saving a WIP to the library while the terrain paints are still present? If you then place it from your library on a lot, what happens?
    5. Are you using the same save to build from? If so, have you tried starting fresh by creating a new game?

These are just some initial questions to try to get to the point where we might be able to reproduce the problem or at least figure out at what point in the process it is occurring to maybe track down a trigger. I have not heard of this occurring before, and it has not happened in my game. I typically apply my terrain paint near the end of each build though, which might be a factor.

Hi! I currently have mods & cc but this has been happening since before I started using either. I've tried repairing my game but it kept happening.

This happens on any lot I build on, I've built on most lots at this point (I built a lot!) and it's happened on all of them.

The paints disappear when I reload the save.

I apply my terrain paints as I go along but always after at least some of the structure has been built.

I've saved the completed lot with the terrain paint & was able to place it down and see the paint again but I haven't tried saving my WIP's as I go along, I will definitely start trying!

I'm using all different saves, it happens in all of them.

Yea, I've been researching this for a long time. It first happened to me right before GTW was released and I've only found a handful of people who are having the same issue, it's very frustrating! I just wish I could figure out what's going on or what I'm doing that could be causing it.
  • Options
    cfraser10cfraser10 Posts: 41 Member
    Thanks for replying, Bryony! Here is the link to the images I took: h ttp://imgur.com/a/mS7xl
  • Options
    @MandysAMess I haven't been able to duplicate the issue, and I set up a lot with a *ton* of different terrain paints, structures, shrubs, etc. All my terrain paints stayed in place, even after reloading.

I know you said that the problem preceded your use of mods and CC, but just to completely rule them out as a factor now, would you please consider removing them and clearing your cache again? If the problem persists, I hate to say it, but you may also want to try a complete uninstall/reinstall. The only other thing I can think of is if it could have to do with your graphics card; have you updated its drivers recently?
  • Options
    @cfraser10 I was able to duplicate your issue:

shortcol1_zpstjfgo2cu.jpg

It is caused by positioning those end columns underneath the frieze surrounding the structure. It appears that the game is deliberately programmed to shorten columns and spandrels automatically when placed under friezes. I think that, for the most part, it makes sense to have done this, since if they weren't shortened under the frieze, you wouldn't see them (the spandrels):

shortcol2_zpsot0cxsaz.jpg

You can avoid the weird shortened graphic if you simply eliminate the columns that are under the friezes - the spandrels won't drop down then:

shortcol3_zps22ouvdm2.jpg
  • Options
    @MandysAMess I haven't been able to duplicate the issue, and I set up a lot with a *ton* of different terrain paints, structures, shrubs, etc. All my terrain paints stayed in place, even after reloading.

I know you said that the problem preceded your use of mods and CC, but just to completely rule them out as a factor now, would you please consider removing them and clearing your cache again? If the problem persists, I hate to say it, but you may also want to try a complete uninstall/reinstall. The only other thing I can think of is if it could have to do with your graphics card; have you updated its drivers recently?

Thanks for trying! It's definitely a strange glitch to have :/ I've already uninstalled & re-installed a few times trying to fix it with no luck and I've played with and without mods several times. My drivers are all updated as far as I know (I'll check with the hubby when he get's home).

For now I'm going to try to keep the lots owned or lived on while I build and see if that helps. I'm almost positive every lot I've had this issue with has been one I was editing from manage world. I'm also trying to remember to save my WIP's to my library before I take a break from working on them.

::crossing my fingers::
  • Options
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help @MandysAMess. If the problem persists, yes, definitely make that Library save just a routine part of your save process; you shouldn't ever lose any actual work in that case.
  • Options
    Just a heads-up to everyone; I will be having my wisdom teeth out tomorrow :# , and I'm not sure how long I will be out of commission after that. If you have a question or find a bug, please go ahead and post but it may take me a while to get back to you.
  • Options
    KementariKementari Posts: 925 Member
    Good luck with your extraction tomorrow Bry, Hope its a speedy recovery for you /hugs
  • Options
    WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    Bry, I wish you the best of luck with your wisdom teeth removal. I hope you heal quickly without too much discomfort. Take care. Hugs, Cath <3<3
  • Options
    Hi Bry! First of all, I wanted to say best lucks of your wisdom teeth! Hope the removal goes very well and there will be no symptoms. Take care! :smiley:

Second, while you're away, the latest dishwasher patch was released! From the patch notes:
    • Original by creator lot information will no longer be lost when a downloaded lot is modified via manage worlds and then re-uploaded to the Gallery.
    • We fixed the issue that caused several lots to display black/missing textures as a result of overlapping roofs (most noticeable in complex roof creations, and sometimes would cause roof objects to also appear incorrectly in shadow).

And on the final note, my game is still currently updating, but I will try to investigate once I pen the game. Thank you. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Thanks @Kementari @WrathofCath and @RyeCris16 - it went much more easily than I'd expected. I had feared that "light anesthesia" would mean I'd be somewhat aware during the procedure, but the surgeon reminded me not to believe everything I read online and said I'd for sure be asleep. :p And he was right! It seemed like I drifted off one moment, and when I woke up the next, it was over. I haven't had as much post-operative pain or swelling as I expected either, although I am still somewhat numb in one spot - still, I'll take it! Anyway, moving on to business. :)

I've completed my review of the 8/6/15 patch, and here are my findings:

Requests Fulfilled:
    • Add more smooth fencing options (no posts) or enable posts on/off. <-- Several have been added in the recent packs
    • 11/8/14 Let us place stairs over stairs (for floating stairs) (requested by RyeCris16) <-- This appears to work now

Bugs/Glitches Fixed:
    • The Original By is now retained for Lots. <-- All loopholes that I am aware of have been closed. If you find one, please PM me.
    • Disappearing doors/windows graphics glitch (see pg. 5 and more on pg. 6 - also affects wall decor). AHQ report. <-- Fixed!
    • Disappearing objects on wall with adjacent roof on ground level graphical glitch (see pg. 6). <-- Fixed!
    • 6/12/15 Bug - End counters positioned near a stove prevent sim from completing cooking action (see pg. 23) <-- As we've discussed, this remain bugged for pre-existing builds but seems to be fixed for new ones
    • 7/7/15 Graphics Glitch - Objects placed on or near intersecting gabled or half gabled roofs (including diagonals) disappear from view in build mode - walls up and in all live mode views when the view is one or more levels above the roof level. For the half gabled and diagonal half gabled roof, this also happens when a single roof is positioned with its downward slope side intersecting a wall. The 7/9/15 patch also adds a terrible shadow (see pg. 25-26) AHQ report. <-- Fixed!
    • 7/17/15 Graphics Glitch - Half walls placed one tile away from an enclosed wall cause objects placed on that wall to disappear (see pgs. 28-29). AHQ report. <-- Fixed!

One new graphics glitch I'm aware of that was introduced in this patch relates to certain harvestable plants with black portions:

badplants_zpsflra9brp.jpg

There is more information regarding this bug here.

• Options
    Requests Fulfilled:
    • 11/8/14 Let us place stairs over stairs (for floating stairs) (requested by RyeCris16) <-- This appears to work now

I guess you're right! :smiley: I can now place stairs over stairs even without the MOO cheat! :)
    Stairs%20Over%20Stairs_zps5lntrd9u.png