May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Of course, @Tiki5872. I found a bug thread for it on the AHQ and would advise that you click the Me Too on it. Apparently, as a workaround, you may be able to go to the career lot, save the fan to a room, and then place that room on your lot when you need access to the fan.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    I've got a request I'm bringing in from another thread that concerns the Gallery. The poster would like to use it like a backup cloud for items they've downloaded to their library and was looking for an option to upload the items with a privacy setting that would keep them from general view. As we know, there is no such option in the Gallery, and I imagine that Maxis never intended it to be used in that way. Even so, I have seen many cases where people have re-uploaded others builds for just that purpose and not maliciously (i.e. not trying to take credit, but not understanding that it's what it looks like). Assuming that lots/rooms/households are compressed in some way when uploaded and assuming that Maxis has already scaled its servers to handle a huge amount of data (as they have so far), I would like to request that the devs consider adding an option to enable a private upload.

An alternative would be to add a View Content By: Favorites option. Currently, the only utility for giving an item a favorite is to essentially thank the creator for it. It would be nice if we could actually keep track of our favorites, and if we could, we'd have no need to store them locally. Yes, we can View Content By: Following, but that means that we see *all* of the creations for the people we're following when we may have liked only a few of them. Also, there is a hard limit on the number of people we can follow (200, I believe). If you're like me, you find works you like by new creators nearly every day; if I tried to follow all of them, there'd be no way.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited July 2015
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    I've got a request I'm bringing in from another thread that concerns the Gallery. The poster would like to use it like a backup cloud for items they've downloaded to their library and was looking for an option to upload the items with a privacy setting that would keep them from general view. As we know, there is no such option in the Gallery, and I imagine that Maxis never intended it to be used in that way. Even so, I have seen many cases where people have re-uploaded others builds for just that purpose and not maliciously (i.e. not trying to take credit, but not understanding that it's what it looks like). Assuming that lots/rooms/households are compressed in some way when uploaded and assuming that Maxis has already scaled its servers to handle a huge amount of data (as they have so far), I would like to request that the devs consider adding an option to enable a private upload.

An alternative would be to add a View Content By: Favorites option. Currently, the only utility for giving an item a favorite is to essentially thank the creator for it. It would be nice if we could actually keep track of our favorites, and if we could, we'd have no need to store them locally. Yes, we can View Content By: Following, but that means that we see *all* of the creations for the people we're following when we may have liked only a few of them. Also, there is a hard limit on the number of people we can follow (200, I believe). If you're like me, you find works you like by new creators nearly every day; if I tried to follow all of them, there'd be no way.

Those are Fantastic ideas! FYI, The follow limit is 100. Sometimes I want to un-follow someone so I can follow someone new but I feel bad dropping someone.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    tumblr_nr9v58EBcf1s873l7o6_r2_1280.png
    tumblr_nr9v58EBcf1s873l7o7_r2_1280.png

It actually looks a bit worse here, but my GPU isn't that great either :D My laptop is 3,5 years old and has a GT 540m. The in-game graphics settings are set to the highest with the exception of sims (medium), post processing effects on. The brighter patch of light on the ground in the other shot is a result of the extra window I think, look at what happens if I add an extra window in this setup:

tumblr_nr9v58EBcf1s873l7o8_r2_1280.png

It makes the corner better lit. Still not as much as I'd like it to, unless it looks better with a better GPU. In which case... someone donate me a winning lottery ticket, so I can buy a better laptop ;)
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • Options
    CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    @BryonyRae Hi Ms Bry, sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I put that trouble build of mine on a lot in every town....my Sim would not finish cooking on all lots. I built a little kitchen with the exact same set up and she completed her dish. I think the bug is just 'set' to my build. I hope it is just my game and not downloads. I hate that other Simmers are gonna have to change the counters to play my lot. BooHoo!!

Anyhoo, just wanted to let ya know.

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
  • Options
    Ah, thanks for getting back to me @Cassee. I'm afraid that it did happen to me when I downloaded and played your lot, so the bug does get saved to the lot and transfers with it. I wonder if it might have been universal, gotten patched, but the patch did not fix lots with the pre-existing condition. I'm glad that it didn't pop up on a new build though, which confirms my experience.
  • Options
    Fairly certain the game is simply starting to hate me. Everytime I think "Wouldn't be cool if...?" game says "NOPE!"

Graphics glitch when using half walls, similar to the porch + stairs thing:

tumblr_nri8i1MeUc1s873l7o1_1280.png
    tumblr_nri8i1MeUc1s873l7o2_1280.png
    tumblr_nri8i1MeUc1s873l7o5_1280.png
  • Options
    SpecterCodySpecterCody Posts: 602 Member
    I am sorry if this has been mentioned before but I have noticed a build mode bug while building today. It happens if you place down flooring on terrain and then build a room on top of it. If you remove the flooring from the room you can see the flooring you placed under it but you cannot delete it. The game seems to treat it like its not there. You must delete the room above it or cut a hole in the wall be able to remove that flooring. Its kinda annoying to me.
  • Options
    I have a new bug to report that was identified in a separate thread: A sauna placed in the basement doesn't function unless it is positioned completely under a room above it. SimGuruDrake and SimGuruBChick already commented in the thread, so I'm sure the devs are now aware of it, but I'd like to keep track of it here too.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @SpecterCody Nope, had not heard of that one before, but I was able to reproduce it and will add it to the list. Steps:
    1. Place tile flooring on terrain
      delfloor1_zpsvbteiq39.jpg
    2. Create room over flooring
      delfloor5_zpsdt04lc2x.jpg
    3. Remove room flooring
      delfloor3_zps5sj7hiif.jpg
    4. Attempt to sledgehammer original flooring - fails with messages "Nothing to change" and "Nothing to delete"
      delfloor4_zpsxwovad9m.jpg

• Options
    @Cerrydd I must be missing something in the way you've set up your structure. I tried to duplicate it in my game based on your images, but I did not encounter the glitch. Take a look at my pictures:

cerry3-1_zpsa6zcb2jl.jpg

cerry3-2_zpsar4tnkfr.jpg

If there are indeed differences in the structure, can you please clarify it for me?
  • Options
    Getting back to the lighting, I went back into TS3 because I got to thinking that there might be a difference when a large window is used vs. a smaller window like you used in many of your shots @Cerrydd. In both games, I created a 4x4 room and added a couple of small-medium windows.

Here's what it looked like in TS4:
    s4base_zpsfoyuyztc.jpg

And in TS3:
    s3base_zps6rqdzn9n.jpg

I then decided that while I was in there, it was an opportunity to see if there was any big difference in artificial light, so I added one basic floor lamp to the back of each room.

TS4:
    s4withlight_zpsjmkyxto7.jpg

TS3:
    s3withlight_zpstqdcyowa.jpg

With these two examples, it seems like the difference in lighting between the two games may have more to do with window size. I'd say that with the smaller window size, TS4 is actually doing a pretty good job with the lighting. With the exception of the bright patch on the ground (guess that shows that the light can indeed stream in with TS3), the TS3 room actually appears darker to me. And when a lamp is added, both rooms seem to brighten moderately, as you'd expect; I'm not seeing a huge difference there either.

While it's interesting, I don't suppose continuing to compare the two games will really do us much good... Whatever they did in TS3, they're working with a new engine in TS4, and it will likely take different programming to achieve the same effect.
  • Options
    SpecterCodySpecterCody Posts: 602 Member
    @BryonyRae Thanks for taking the time to upload images of it. I am glad it is news to you as I didn't wish to add redundant information. Its not a major problem but its still something.
  • Options
    rochelimitrochelimit Posts: 777 Member
    edited July 2015
    Yes @BryonyRae we have the same wants about shadow improvement and understanding of what to do and what no to do. Completely agree 100% with you.

btw, I wanted to point out something about the shiftable mirrors that Maxis needs to add (currently the mirror is fixed). I know this is a build mode discussion, I don't know whether a 'buy mode' discussion can be included.

[img][/img]19435838619_a597c95654_c.jpg07-06-15_11-46 PM by rochelimit55555, on Flickr

Here is my Sim practicing speech on the shiftable mirror (cc). So each mirror is assigned onto a Sim, and each Sim can cleverly find a way to position themselves somewhat in front of the mirror and practice speech. These are fan objects and the game works fine.

So with all the tests from cc, maxis needs to make the mirror shiftable. Could you please add this into your list of improvement @BryonyRae ?
    Post edited by rochelimit on
  • Options
    Setup seems to be the same Bry, so I took another look and found that it has something to do with orientation or something.

Willow Creek Archive (where I took the initial screenshots):

tumblr_nri8i1MeUc1s873l7o8_r1_1280.jpg

Nookstone:

tumblr_nri8i1MeUc1s873l7o7_r1_1280.jpg

Beech Byway:

tumblr_nri8i1MeUc1s873l7o6_r1_1280.jpg

Looks like there are constantly 2 sides affected by the glitch, for some reason.
  • Options
    @Cerrydd Yep, it occurs in the same manner on each lot I've tried (a few in each world). The structure appears normal when the half walls are facing to the front or the right side of the lot. When they are facing the back or left side of the lot, the disappearing objects glitch pops up. I didn't think the disappear glitch could get any stranger, but obviously, it can. :p Will add to our list.

@rochelimit Since buy and build are combined under build mode in TS4, we discuss both aspects in this thread. Yes, given that we can already shift the mirrors up (with MOO on) and they retain their functionality, I kind of figured it should be the same if they were shifted down. Thanks for confirming that. We actually already made the request sometime back, but it's on our Testing MOO thread. I will probably migrate some of those requests/bugs here and drop that thread in the future, but for now, there's still enough stuff specifically related to MOO on there that I've kept it going separately.
  • Options
    @Cerrydd Yep, it occurs in the same manner on each lot I've tried (a few in each world). The structure appears normal when the half walls are facing to the front or the right side of the lot. When they are facing the back or left side of the lot, the disappearing objects glitch pops up. I didn't think the disappear glitch could get any stranger, but obviously, it can. :p Will add to our list.

@rochelimit Since buy and build are combined under build mode in TS4, we discuss both aspects in this thread. Yes, given that we can already shift the mirrors up (with MOO on) and they retain their functionality, I kind of figured it should be the same if they were shifted down. Thanks for confirming that. We actually already made the request sometime back, but it's on our Testing MOO thread. I will probably migrate some of those requests/bugs here and drop that thread in the future, but for now, there's still enough stuff specifically related to MOO on there that I've kept it going separately.

Thanks for pointing that out
  • Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    I also have an issue regarding lightning:
    Place two rooms adjacent to each other. Add a light (preferably the brightest ones), and a door. if you place an arch, the other room is too bright, but not behind its nearest area of a second room:
    07-18-15_1-54nbspAM_zpstiuttt6q.png
    07-18-15_2-05nbspAM_zpsr0sbslbk.png

It even happens of glass doors:
    07-18-15_1-55nbspAM_zps9phtef3o.png

But on some doors with small holes, the second room has it's brightness on the nearest areas:
    07-18-15_2-02nbspAM_zpsounsyce9.png

However, if you delete a wall, it seems like that the to much brightness is gone and it acts like a normal brightness:
    07-18-15_1-58nbspAM_zpskft3rizt.png
    07-18-15_2-05nbspAM-2_zpsphuzlrny.png

PS: Also works on Ruth's archway:
    07-18-15_1-55nbspAM-2_zpse0iwrors.png

This was happened to me back when I made traditional builds, such as Sampaguita Estate, Choco-Berry Cupcake, etc. So my only way to do is to add a lightning on other room too so I can avoid some distractions.
    Anyway, I'll be back again for new requests and bugs I noticed. Again, sorry for my poor English.
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • Options
    @RyeCris16 Ah, I think this is another great example of how the lighting really needs to be tweaked. I think what you're experiencing also ties into the images @kristinemancuso showed us of weird night lighting. Because I took my shots at night, you can see how they relate. First, just backing up your shots - the interior lighting spilling from one room to another when there is a door, archway, or to lesser extent, window is definitely weird and way brighter than you'd expect in the unlit room:

Door:
    badlightingdoor_zpsqdykidwz.jpg
    Archway:
    badlighting_zpsv1dk4cy5.jpg
    It is also odd how the yellow hue really comes through in the spillover as opposed to the lighting of the main room itself.

Now look at what happens when we set up the same scenario with a door from the lit room to the outdoors:
    outdoorlightweird_zps9sligqr0.jpg
    In my opinion, that is just way too much light spilling out and in a very unnatural, wide pattern. The door only has one small window in it too, which got me wondering if it even has anything to do with the window. So I tried a windowless door:

lightthroughsoliddoor_zpsrp9th90l.jpg
    Now come on...that's just silly. :p Interestingly, the spillover does not happen *inside* with a solid door, but it definitely happens outside and shouldn't.

Another odd thing I noticed while testing the outdoor light spill was that depending upon which side of the door is facing outward, there will either be a long shadow under it, or there won't:
    shadow_zpsewuxsw6r.jpg
    noshadow_zpsycovxbzb.jpg
    I don't really know why that shadow effect would even exist; it seems pretty needless.

Finally, I set up a contrasting shot by replacing doors/archways with sledgehammered openings:
    lighting-muchbetter_zps7sbpunrr.jpg
    From my perspective, it's so much better, both indoors and out. This is the type of effect we should be seeing, albeit dimmer, when doors/arches/windows are used.

• Options
    SunnyKegSunnyKeg Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2015
    Does it look odd (could be just me) that it creates a shadow effect by the doors/window/arches where the light is coming in, the tiles with those are full walls? For instance in the first archway shot above, the tiles under the archway have the shadow like the wall does, which just looks weird - when that much light is spilling over it, I don't think there should be a shadow there.
    The best one is definitely the light coming through the door that doesn't have any window in it, though :D
    Origin ID: SunnyKeg
  • Options
    I would appreciate it if any builders could comment here regarding this thread. Was this the way the game always behaved when we created open stories? I noticed this when I was doing it recently, but I hadn't done an open story in a long time, and it was the kind of thing that irritated me at such a low level that I didn't really take note of it. It does seem wonky though.
  • Options
    Yeah, @kristinemancuso I think it's like that weird shadow under the door depending upon which way it faces. It may be the same thing with the arches. Another reason why that last shot with the open wall looks so much more natural - light fanning out in a way that makes sense and no inexplicable shadows. Also notice that the hue of the light doesn't change.
  • Options
    CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi Ms Bry. I didn't have a problem when I built Five In Style. Third floor looks down all the way to the first floor. BUT I tried to duplicate and it did exactyly what the 'bug' thread states now. I do remember having to manipulate the game into thinking there was a room the first time around. Eventually it worked. NOW, not so much. I'll play with it some more and see what happens.

Toodles!!

Okay, I know I am probably lazy, but it's almost Midnight. I just uploaded a lot, even though it had a minor flaw. Well, a flaw to me anyway.

Ms Bry, why does this happen: Tiles shift
    07-18-15_11-53nbspPM-4_zpstl0i1wnr.png

07-19-15_10-54nbspPM_zps2uy19owx.png

I thought it could be the lot I was testing on, but I tried 3 others. Turn Moo On/Off, cheats On/Off. Nothing made the tiles stay the way I wanted them too. REALLY frustrating. It took me a week to get this house the way I wanted it. Oh, one more thing. My fish tank becomes empty. So Sad!! Fishies don't transfer.

Anyhoo, I'm going to bed. Good Night! ♥♥
    Post edited by Cassee on
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
  • Options
    Yeah, @kristinemancuso I think it's like that weird shadow under the door depending upon which way it faces. It may be the same thing with the arches. Another reason why that last shot with the open wall looks so much more natural - light fanning out in a way that makes sense and no inexplicable shadows. Also notice that the hue of the light doesn't change.

lots of lighting issues I don't even know where to start. The too bright AND too yellow wall side if very apparent. The interior seriously needs more improvement; although i'm asking Maxis to improve toddlers and pre-teens (Sims2 sized teens) first though.

Don't Maxis has a team or something. One could work on the development of life stages, others work on improving build mode. Maybe @BryonyRae should volunteer as a manager :P
  • Options
    @Cassee I wish I could answer your question, but I have no idea why. :/ All I know is that it does happen, quite frequently, and it's very irritating. Just when you think, 'Okay, I know rug stacking is bugged, so maybe I'll make a tile design instead,' that doesn't work out quite right either. ;p For what it's worth, I think it actually looks good with the way your tiles are reversing; I would have thought it was on purpose! Sorry about the news on the fish. It seems there are some bugs going on with them where they rot quite easily though, so perhaps it's for the best (your downloader won't see an aquarium full of stinky, belly-up fish anyway :p ).

@rochelimit I believe they do have a team that focuses on building, so I'm quite sure they do work in tandem with the other teams handling the live aspects. Ha, management, never again! :# I would love to be a member of their QA team though. ;)