Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was Multitasking worth the loading screens?

Comments

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Yes - Loading sceeens aren’t long and I love Multitasking
    I've heard several lovely stories of Sims 3 taking upwards of 10 minutes to load. No thanks. I'd take a handful of seconds in Sims 4 over that any day.

I remember back in Sims 1 days even, it taking forever to load in. Reticulating Spines will be burned in my brain for the rest of my days, lol. And I loved that game.

Also, saying Sims 1 has better multi-tasking is laughably ridiculous. Sims couldn't even use the toilet without your every say-so. They'd cross their legs and whine and pee their pants, even if the toilet was in the same room. :|
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2018
    No - I dislike loading screens and was happy without Multitasking
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I like them multitasking. I dislike loading screens. What option should I choose?

Indifferent I guess. Though you still could choose only one, as the OP said: Graham stated that either addition has to be sacrificed for the other to work in a game. That's the pole's question in a sense: Yes, no or idk.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    I have been playing TS3 for a couple of days now and miss neither multitasking nor emotions very much. In many situations TS3 Sims act in a more consistant and logical way. On the other hand "no loading screens" is a fake in TS3 because many lots with complex textures need a minute to become fully visible.
    No they don’t..? Not denying it may be like that for you of course, but that given doesn’t make it a fake in general (agree with the first part but that won’t surprise you ;)).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2018
    I think they should have gone with selective multitasking like we had in previous games instead of the open system we have now.

Multitasking isn't only the reason as to why we have loading screens. It's also the reason sims stop randomly, the reason we don't have swings, lounge chairs, etc. because it's too expensive to animate with this system.

I honestly don't mind multitasking being taken away the way it is now.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited January 2018
    I've heard several lovely stories of Sims 3 taking upwards of 10 minutes to load. No thanks. I'd take a handful of seconds in Sims 4 over that any day.

I remember back in Sims 1 days even, it taking forever to load in. Reticulating Spines will be burned in my brain for the rest of my days, lol. And I loved that game.

Also, saying Sims 1 has better multi-tasking is laughably ridiculous. Sims couldn't even use the toilet without your every say-so. They'd cross their legs and whine and pee their pants, even if the toilet was in the same room. :|

What does the sims 1 have to do with this? Again my experience then with the sims 1 wasn't that long a wait. My experience now on my gaming rig is super fast obviously.

Sims 1 sims always chose from their most pressing needs. Unless you actively stopped them they would always go to the toilet on their own.

My sims 4 sim however woke up the other day with his bladder in the red, I was attending to his toddler so I left him to it. Instead of going to the bathroom he went and got leftovers from last night even though his hunger bar was only half way down and still in the green.

I just thought to myself, what the heck are you doing? What was this sims process? "Oh I need to pee, WAIT! Last nights curry is in the fridge I best go and grab some!"

If you meant the sims 2 for multi tasking then I do think it is better. It's more natural, more fluid and more realistic. Sims talk round a table autonomously, they talk whilst watching tv, they cuddle whilst watching tv, they can lie on a bed side by side and talk. Whilst they are playing chess they talk. I could go on. There's no need for it to become a drama and no need to fight the game to get four sims to sit down and stay seated and have a meal and talk at the same time.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I have been playing TS3 for a couple of days now and miss neither multitasking nor emotions very much. In many situations TS3 Sims act in a more consistant and logical way. On the other hand "no loading screens" is a fake in TS3 because many lots with complex textures need a minute to become fully visible.
    No they don’t..? Not denying it may be like that for you of course, but that given doesn’t make it a fake in general (agree with the first part but that won’t surprise you ;)).

I have just returned to Aurora Skies and I am loving it!! But all houses in the city center need a long time to load. The worst lot is the warehouse from Ambitions. And my PC is a gaming computer from 2014, when TS3 was finished. If textures in your game load immediately, please give me your specs!

That said, the greatness of TS3 is always overwhelming. I wish TS5 was a non-lagging photorealistic TS3.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member

How it was laughably ridiculous? I haven't played that game, so I'm genuinely asking. Thought If that toilet situation was an argument, how is that have to do with multitasking and not to say per autonomy?

What does the sims 1 have to do with this? Again my experience then with the sims 1 wasn't that long a wait. My experience now on my gaming rig is super fast obviously.

Sims 1 sims always chose from their most pressing needs. Unless you actively stopped them they would always go to the toilet on their own.

My sims 4 sim however woke up the other day with his bladder in the red, I was attending to his toddler so I left him to it. Instead of going to the bathroom he went and got leftovers from last night even though his hunger bar was only half way down and still in the green.

I just thought to myself, what the heck are you doing? What was this sims process? "Oh I need to pee, WAIT! Last nights curry is in the fridge I best go and grab some!"

If you meant the sims 2 for multi tasking then I do think it is better. It's more natural, more fluid and more realistic. Sims talk round a table autonomously, they talk whilst watching tv, they cuddle whilst watching tv, they can lie on a bed side by side and talk. Whilst they are playing chess they talk. I could go on. There's no need for it to become a drama and no need to fight the game to get four sims to sit down and stay seated and have a meal and talk at the same time.

I can also recall a discovered multitasking interaction, but I'm not sure If it has any benefit: I clicked on my sim to "primp" while he was sitting down and he did just that: while sat he primped. Though I'm kinda disappointed how the cellphones (wished the same with telephones, but I do understand with that object) lacks one, so they can't chat or use it without meanwhile standing up.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    "If you meant the sims 2 for multi tasking then I do think it is better. It's more natural, more fluid and more realistic. Sims talk round a table autonomously, they talk whilst watching tv, they cuddle whilst watching tv"

In TS2, sims can't cuddle while watching tv. I recorded a video that clearly shows they will cuddle only after turning off the tv. :3
    https://youtu.be/SW0KxAO11yQ
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited January 2018
    Loading screen length is subjective, all depends on the computer you own.

In my case, the time is shorter than TS3 lot loading (grey objects -> colored low res. -> colored high res. -> now you can play without lags)
    It's also extremely shorter than TS3 savegame loading (30 min.).
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    It is not the loading screens that even really bother me - it is how they function. A sim just magically pops off from wherever it is (not even completing whatever it was doing), and the super bright white screens cause headaches, and after playing a while - they take forever. In Sims 2 - loading screens were much more interesting and did not cause headaches and sims had to walk or get in a taxi or bus or car to travel - even carrying luggage when moving or going on vacation - so much more real. Everything in Sims 4 is done by magic - there are no details to anything - just like the latest laundry pack - putting the laundry away means throwing magically folded clothes up in the air that magically disappear and are put away.

And the multitasking is a complete failure in Sims 4 as are the emotions - that sims cannot even sit around a table and have a meal while talking and doing other things like they did in sims 2 and sims 3 is such a failure - they won't sit still for a second - they constantly interrupt their eating for some invisible thing that you do not even know is happening like a sim from miles away wanting a hug - their emotions can flip all over the place in a matter of seconds and have very little impact or meaning.

I will never understand how a game that came out later is so much worse than the ones that came before it.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I’m indifferent. I don’t see the pros or cons of either.
    None of the options really suited me because I wasn’t a fan of the open world anyway and especially hated the story progression that was included in TS3 because of it.

But I also hated the way everything was slowed down in TS4 because of the new multitasking. I want to control my sims and I want to control more than one family - and I sure don’t want some story progression to destroy one of my families while I am playing another family. So I don’t play TS3 or TS4 anymore. Instead I am waiting for EA to release a sidegame or a new (and hopefully better) basegame.
  • Options
    PurpleCheshirePurpleCheshire Posts: 96 Member
    I don't mind loading screens and there is another reason for this - do you really think we would have so many Sims in one lot without loading screens? I remember getting frustrated in TS3 because all these open worlds were so empty and it was hard to find somebody, now we have so many sims doing different things in every single place we go.
    39901666071_622df5aee5_o.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I have just returned to Aurora Skies and I am loving it!! But all houses in the city center need a long time to load. The worst lot is the warehouse from Ambitions. And my PC is a gaming computer from 2014, when TS3 was finished. If textures in your game load immediately, please give me your specs!

That said, the greatness of TS3 is always overwhelming. I wish TS5 was a non-lagging photorealistic TS3.
    How can I find those again :grimace: ? I had it on my previous computer occasionally but then it was like five seconds tops. (it could also be the world, I never played in AS, only briefly to look around)
    Olaf15 wrote: »
    I don't mind loading screens and there is another reason for this - do you really think we would have so many Sims in one lot without loading screens? I remember getting frustrated in TS3 because all these open worlds were so empty and it was hard to find somebody, now we have so many sims doing different things in every single place we go.
    That also is processor related. We're talking about a 2009 game here. Sims 3's open world works a lot better on new computers. I count up to ten sims on every lot my sim visits now and though it's not related to the topic, they behave in much more varied ways than in Sims 4.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    AuzzPanda wrote: »
    Many people are defending at how in TS2 it took them longer, but I reckon the automatic eating and chatting was so realistic and nice back then. Here, they sit, get up, sit, don't ever touch there food and just chat. not to mention the eating animation is absurdly ridiculous and childish.
    Kinda slightly disagree the part I bolded. They sometimes tend to take another plate of food from the same If hunger isn't fulfilled, despite eating the first dish.

Well yes they have to take another plate because they chat SO much that their hunger just drops in between. I miss the orderly and realistic fashion it had in TS2
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I don't know if I voted properly. I feel like multitasking is part of the problem in this game but I don't care about loading screens if I can get more depth out of gameplay. The issue is we really didn't get more for adding the load screens back.
  • Options
    RnM92RnM92 Posts: 222 Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't mind the idea of loading screens, but at the very least they could've allowed you to visit other lots in your own section of the world, at the very least you should've been able to visit other apartments without them. Even the Sims 2 allowed you to do it.

As for multi tasking, it's a good idea in theory but terribly executed in the Sims 4. As @DeservedCriticism already explained, the sims aren't truly multitasking but cycling between actions, which massively slows down what they're doing. I find it extremely irritating. The way it was done in the Sims 2 was way better. Ok we didn't get as many multitasking options, but the ones we did get actually worked. If a sim was eating and talking or watching tv and talking, both actions genuinely happened simultaneously. They ate at pretty much the same speed while talking as they would if they weren't talking. I guess the devs programmed it so that the food disappeared from the plate at the same rate, even if the sim was talking and there were less eating animations going on. Same with the tv, the sim's fun meter would fill at the same rate while talking as it would if they weren't talking. I don't get why this couldn't be done in the Sims 4. Probably because it would've taken more time and effort from the team to programme this in. At the moment they just switch between actions which isn't anything special. It's certainly not true multitasking.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited January 2018
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    It is not the loading screens that even really bother me - it is how they function. A sim just magically pops off from wherever it is (not even completing whatever it was doing), and the super bright white screens cause headaches, and after playing a while - they take forever. In Sims 2 - loading screens were much more interesting and did not cause headaches and sims had to walk or get in a taxi or bus or car to travel - even carrying luggage when moving or going on vacation - so much more real. Everything in Sims 4 is done by magic - there are no details to anything - just like the latest laundry pack - putting the laundry away means throwing magically folded clothes up in the air that magically disappear and are put away.

This! The loading screens in TS4 break immersion in a way that the TS2 loading screens didn't. The spinning plumbob and game hint is not only dull and visually repetitive, but it's completely depersonalized to the family you're playing. I love seeing the taxi or whichever car you'd bought your Sim, and I love seeing the family portrait when you loaded a household and noticing how it changes as the family does, including their relationships with each other (something the TS4 portraits never reflect).

I'm not opposed to loading screens in general because TS2 is my favourite Sims game, but I get really frustrated with multitasking making everything slow and, as @Sigzy05 said, limiting what sorts of animations we can have in the game.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I chose I'm indifferent mostly because I kind of want both :) there are moments where multitasking works incredibly well in TS4 (especially if you choose full autonomy but disable it for the selected sim). But I also want open worlds back. Not necessarily one gigantic open space but several open spaces (so that I can visit neighbors and certain shops / places without a loading screen but I don't mind getting one for traveling to another neighborhood)
  • Options
    nayruslove7nayruslove7 Posts: 108 Member
    I don’t think I could go back to not being able to eat my cereal while watching tv. Also loading screens are not that bad on my computer. I do wish that if you go to a lot in the same neighborhood you are currently loaded in that there wouldn’t be a loading screen. Other than that though, if loading screens means being able to travel between worlds and my game not crashing every five seconds, I’m all for it.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I don’t have any issues with loading screens. Sims 4 has entirely too many of them, which is my main complaint. The few instances where multitasking is beneficial (building 2 or 3 needs at once) is outweighed by the annoyances it brings along: enlongated interactions, obsessive desires to multitask at all times, obsessive need to travel and socialize, group trap social structure (once your Sim enters a group chat, they will stay until the other Sims leave regardless of the player queuing additional actions - unless you hit X and manually cancel, which is just tedious IMO)
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    My main issue is they scrapped open world for a feature that works very poorly and comes with just as many headaches as open world did.
  • Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited January 2018
    I really like this, drink milk and read at the same time :3

https://youtu.be/TRvjybY2wzo
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I had to think on this because I like both features, but ultimately I decided that multitasking is worth it. It just needs some more tuning (like sims eating too slowly IMO, and routing). I like how I can queue up a lot of things that can be done in parallel, and that sims don't necessarily have t o be doing the same activity to talk to each other.

When we had the open world, my sims would go out more often since I didn't have to give up control over any sim, but that just made me juggle through SEVERAL lots. And later on the community lots became very bare, even the Late Night nightclubs, which kind of sapped the life out of the open world.

What I'd be happy with is a middle ground. A semi-open world where there are no loading screens in a neighborhood/zone, and we still have multitasking.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I like the multitasking that is what makes me not go back to Sims 3 because I wish they could do the things they can in TS4.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641