Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All packs prices increased by on many countries

Comments

• Options
    Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    Well all I know is that I can't buy an expansion pack for the same price I bought the base game and I can't buy a gp for the same price of an expansion pack and I definitely won't buy a stuff pack for the price of a go

And with the 50% off sales, would you buy a pack at the same price as before ?

Lol I'm supposed to be getting a discount price during sales but now It will just still feel like I'm buying it normally

But yeah maybe I will..I just would choose the packs I buy carefully now and this is only because I have mad love for the Sims

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Strangely it happens before the last quarter of the fiscal year 2018... and before GP06 is released.
    Only TS4 is concerned ? The other games will keep their current prices ???

Note: The FY18 Q3 results will be announced at the end of the month.

Andrew Wilson - Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO & Director
    The Sims is a very valuable brand for us, a very valuable IP

Yeah it's almost like they're a corporation or something.

Just I meant "When foreign exchange rates, currency values, and regional markets change, we have to update our prices." isn't a valid argue.

I'm sorry but what?
    This is a PERFECTLY reasonable, believable, and logical explanation. It is a very solid argument.

As I said why Spain and Italy prices should increase when Greece prices (€uro zone) won't increase, the currency value is the same.
    "When foreign exchange rates, currency values, and regional markets change" in all the €uro zone, not only in Spain and in Italy.

It's same to say : US dollar value changed only in the states of California and New York.

Not remotely the same. Those are countries where as California and New York are states. Now if you compared US and Canada - that would be the same as comparing Italy, Greece and Spain. But believe me we do not share the same currency, prices, or laws with Canada - we share a Continent - that's it. When our economy shifts - theirs does not technically or vice versa.

But you can't compare countries to states at all. All US states are subject to the same Federal laws, currency, etc - basically. Our state laws do vary from state to state. (State laws are the laws of the people. where as Federal law is more the law of the government.)

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Look, it's very simple.
    Companies are not "plum" because they maintain a profit margin.
    The reality here is that with currency changes the value of the product goes down. So they have to compensate.

Let me try to explain it another way:
    The cost of the pack has not increased. It's what you are trading it for that has decreased in value.

That you're not willing to accept that doesn't change the facts.

People know that. The other side of the reality you're overlooking is that we, as costumers, who choose to spend this "lesser valuable" money on the game - which means that for us it have a bigger cost, given our context -, we are rightfully complaining about a sudden increase of price.

The company can maintain their decision of not changing, which may not affect you but it does affect us, negatively; in this case they're choosing to keep their profit margin in despite of us, ok. But we can also say "Well, you may have that "little" amount or have none, or much less", and so finding how they value us folks as costumers. We are looking for our interests as the shareholders will look for theirs.

Still I don't understand why people who are not affected are taking their side since we're all costumers.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Look, it's very simple.
    The reality here is that with currency changes the value of the product goes down. So they have to compensate.

The cost of the pack has not increased. It's what you are trading it for that has decreased in value.

People know that. The other side of the reality you're overlooking is that we, as costumers, who choose to spend this "lesser valuable" money on the game - which means that for us it have a bigger cost, given our context -, we are rightfully complaining about a sudden increase of price.

The company can maintain their decision of not changing, which may not affect you but it does affect us, negatively; in this case they're choosing to keep their profit margin in despite of us, ok. But we can also say "Well, you may have that "little" amount or have none, or much less", and so finding how they value us folks as costumers. We are looking for our interests as the shareholders will look for theirs.

Still I don't understand why people who are not affected are taking their side since we're all costumers.

Well I can only answer for me - but I know they don't have that choice. They can either change the price those countries asked for or drop sending the game to that country. That is their choice.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    BrandiregularBrandiregular Posts: 16 Member
    ^ why drop it though? There's no shipping and production cost, it's a digital product and the taxes are low, they would profit either way. So the real choice here is to consider the local market and profit less or be greedy because they lost sales at BF2
  • Options
    j3n1ynj3n1yn Posts: 70 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Ashkevron wrote: »
    Strangely it happens before the last quarter of the fiscal year 2018... and before GP06 is released.

Just I meant "When foreign exchange rates, currency values, and regional markets change, we have to update our prices." isn't a valid argue.

EA got the reputation to often lie to the customers.

Considering the HUGE tax cuts that American corporations just got from GOP, I don't buy this plum they are trying to sell us about exchange rates and market changes.

They're just doing the ole' corporate price gauging on foreign countries in the belief that those other countries are stupid enough not to make a fuss, and plus even if they make a fuss, you think EA is going to gladly change them back? NO, they won't, bc they're a major corporation and doesn't really need to listen to us, only for the money in our pockets.

Not true - they are an international Company and have no choice but to adhere to international laws. When other countries demand more taxes or higher exchange rates, EA must raise their prices to cover those taxes/prices in those countries as they are not allowed to drastically cut the cost on on the product other wise they are undercutting like Corporations (which they can't do thanks to fair trade laws) and stock holders. EA does hold a lot of sales which does help the players - but sales are also controlled to a big degree.

You own a public company that deals internationally - well - you have to follow the laws. EA gains nothing in the higher prices as they have actually managed to keep their prices the same or less than even Sims 3 prices - which as anyone know who lives here in the USA in particular almost nothing stays the same or goes down over those number of years but EA managed to balance it out - even cut the price of SPs in half for Sims 4.

But like it or not - laws have to be adhered to - here in the USA and abroad.

If EA was just raising their prices for their own pocket then the prices would have raised in all countries - keep that in mind. But if prices are higher in your own countries - then blame your countries.

We could justify literally anything with those words. By doing it, we're just accepting the status quo - it only works for who's already in advantage, a privilege many don't have.

Somewhere along way the ol' mighty EA chose to not incorporate all these alleged new taxes in their accounts and repass it do us so their 4,1(??) billions don't become 4,0. We're arguing like the dance of EA were the only possible steps to move ourselves.

It becomes even more unacceptable to me, personally, when I realize I'm not even paying 100% more because of The Sims per se, but more possibily in order to cover the economic failure of dozens of games they launched and are planning to launch, which mostly I won't ever touch.

Games are not a necessity in life. They're luxury items. Quit acting like this is ruining your life.
  • Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    j3n1yn wrote: »

Considering the HUGE tax cuts that American corporations just got from GOP, I don't buy this plum they are trying to sell us about exchange rates and market changes.

They're just doing the ole' corporate price gauging on foreign countries in the belief that those other countries are stupid enough not to make a fuss, and plus even if they make a fuss, you think EA is going to gladly change them back? NO, they won't, bc they're a major corporation and doesn't really need to listen to us, only for the money in our pockets.

Not true - they are an international Company and have no choice but to adhere to international laws. When other countries demand more taxes or higher exchange rates, EA must raise their prices to cover those taxes/prices in those countries as they are not allowed to drastically cut the cost on on the product other wise they are undercutting like Corporations (which they can't do thanks to fair trade laws) and stock holders. EA does hold a lot of sales which does help the players - but sales are also controlled to a big degree.

You own a public company that deals internationally - well - you have to follow the laws. EA gains nothing in the higher prices as they have actually managed to keep their prices the same or less than even Sims 3 prices - which as anyone know who lives here in the USA in particular almost nothing stays the same or goes down over those number of years but EA managed to balance it out - even cut the price of SPs in half for Sims 4.

If EA was just raising their prices for their own pocket then the prices would have raised in all countries - keep that in mind. But if prices are higher in your own countries - then blame your countries.

We could justify literally anything with those words. By doing it, we're just accepting the status quo - it only works for who's already in advantage, a privilege many don't have.

Somewhere along way the ol' mighty EA chose to not incorporate all these alleged new taxes in their accounts and repass it do us so their 4,1(??) billions don't become 4,0. We're arguing like the dance of EA were the only possible steps to move ourselves.

It becomes even more unacceptable to me, personally, when I realize I'm not even paying 100% more because of The Sims per se, but more possibily in order to cover the economic failure of dozens of games they launched and are planning to launch, which mostly I won't ever touch.

Games are not a necessity in life. They're luxury items. Quit acting like this is ruining your life.

first world problems, man
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited January 2018
    It appears many people in this thread do not pay too much attention to the worth of their currency compared to others or even the laws of foreign trade. Also, some of those same people do not look at other sources (besides these forums) for news from EA. Blaming the company for their own ignorance is not justifiable.

Prices of all goods are dependent on currency value, trade laws, and production costs, among other things. Personally, I look for sales and never purchase any games or other things at launch. I research before making many of my purchases though.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member

I'm sorry but what?
    This is a PERFECTLY reasonable, believable, and logical explanation. It is a very solid argument.

As I said why Spain and Italy prices should increase when Greece prices (€uro zone) won't increase, the currency value is the same.
    "When foreign exchange rates, currency values, and regional markets change" in all the €uro zone, not only in Spain and in Italy.

It's same to say : US dollar value changed only in the states of California and New York.

Not remotely the same. Those are countries where as California and New York are states. Now if you compared US and Canada - that would be the same as comparing Italy, Greece and Spain. But believe me we do not share the same currency, prices, or laws with Canada - we share a Continent - that's it. When our economy shifts - theirs does not technically or vice versa.

But you can't compare countries to states at all. All US states are subject to the same Federal laws, currency, etc - basically. Our state laws do vary from state to state. (State laws are the laws of the people. where as Federal law is more the law of the government.)

But the point they were trying to make is that because all Eurozone countries share the same currency, blaming the rise or fall of the Euro for the changed prices in two Eurozone countries while the rest remain static is the same as trying to blame a change of price in two states on the general state of the USD. The analogy isn't perfect from a political POV, obviously, but it doesn't make sense to attribute the change in Spain and Italy to the Euro alone since most Eurozone countries are not affected.

I generally enjoy stuff packs in TS4 but £10 is ridiculous. To anyone who is trying to say this is purely about the changing status of various international currencies, why is only The Sims 4 DLC affected???
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    edited January 2018

first world problems, man

LOL I'm actually from what people call "3rd world". See, it is not ruining my life whatsoever, although I'm a bit bummed for having to withdraw from one of the few sources of enterteinment I have avaliable (I'm living mid nowhere right now). I'm quite surprised for the personal critique though, it's not like my complaint have some kind of negative side to you.

Anyway, for everything we can either ignore or do something about it; when I have the disposition I prefer the latter.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited January 2018
    As someone else mentioned, the biggest issue when prices are adjusted up like this is that when your domestic dollar bounces back (plus whatever other factors), very often the prices are much slower to adjust down.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited January 2018

I'm sorry but what?

I could compare it to USA , Republic of El Salvador and Republic of Zimbabwe, they use the same US dollar as main currency.
    https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/040915/countries-use-us-dollar.asp

Italy , Spain and Greece are members of the €uro zone and are subject to the same currency.

Sure, each member gets their own economy but it change nothing to EA because they don't pay the local tax of each countries, they pay the taxes of one country (EA Swiss in Switzerland) for all the Europe countries.

And it's not smart because the Spanish and Italian players can still buy TS4 packs in France or Germany for a lower price (Amazon.fr , Amazon.de).

There is no restriction, no additional tax between all the members of the €uro zone.

I often purchase computer components in Germany because it's cheaper.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Whatever their reasons or the truth behind it, it looks like they might be getting fewer sales from now on.

My money is staying in my own bank until I can buy it at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    edited January 2018
    I logged in this morning and my game was updating. I was browsing the extra content and was just about to buy laundry stuff when I noticed the price hike. Well that's a sale they have now lost as I cannot condone a 50% price increase. People can say what they like, but I'm saying EA had a dismal 2017 with sales from their 2 big IP's (Star Wars battlefront and need for speed) tanking. They lost a ton of revenue with the removal of micro transactions from those games with them not even reaching their projected sales figures and now they trying to make it up by raising prices of sims 4 dlc micro transactions to attempt to make up for their short fall.

Post edited by Haiden on
  • Options
    BrandiregularBrandiregular Posts: 16 Member
    ^ yup, they are desperate because they lost a lot of costumers and for a good reason. I have a great respect for the developers of this game and appreciate that they always try to bring free content to us, but EA is a whole other deal. The price rise is no coincidence, we are taking the short end of the stick here
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited January 2018
    Look, it's very simple.

I would make these comments:

1) Most video game companies either update prices regularly or not at all until the next game. What EA has done here is certainly unorthodox and an unwelcome surprise, thus the anger. Valve comparatively as an example updates prices for their games like DoTa, CS:GO and TF2, but they do so regularly when prices change significantly and the price changes always match clear price changes. I know this because the exact moments when I myself notice a change in the dollar-to-euro exchange, a week later Valve might adapt prices. No one minds this because it's done regularly enough to be expected.

2) As others have pointed out, some of the countries on the list are questionable. Spain for example uses the Euro, yet it's on there. It's currency partners France and Germany are not. This has people questioning the motivation behind the change since obviously currency value changes cannot possibly apply to all countries on that list.

3) Quite honestly...? This is EA. They've done a number of things to earn a terrible, greedy reputation, so while I agree changes would be nothing to freak out over if the currency values truly have changed, I also 100% understand why people are on guard. People expect to be lied to at this point; I myself have half a mind to go down the list and check the currency values to see if the changes match. In that sense, while I would agree this is fair if the currency values truly have changed amongst these countries (and as stated, can't be the case for all of them), I also think that if EA doesn't want this kind of reaction or backlash, perhaps they should stop treating their customers like dirt and actually focus on the quality of their products instead of the size of their profit margins. If they did that, I promise they wouldn't have to go through customer backlash every time they raise a price on something, because as it stands now, a price increase from EA means every consumer is thinking "is this warranted or does EA just want a golden goblet to drink out of while sitting on their gold-plated throne?"
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    Yeah here in the UK the price for the packs have gone up, for example a stuff pack is now £9.99 from £7.99 which in my opinion is unjustified. If it was a price rise to say £8.50 I would be less annoyed. It would be fair enough if we was all earning more but we aren't.
    source_1.gif

Well... The British people chose to decrease the value of their currency on purpose. That's what happens. It's basic economics.

Don't say it like we all chose to.

Poor Scotland. :confused:
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Terra wrote: »

I'm sorry but what?

But the point they were trying to make is that because all Eurozone countries share the same currency, blaming the rise or fall of the Euro for the changed prices in two Eurozone countries while the rest remain static is the same as trying to blame a change of price in two states on the general state of the USD. The analogy isn't perfect from a political POV, obviously, but it doesn't make sense to attribute the change in Spain and Italy to the Euro alone since most Eurozone countries are not affected.

I generally enjoy stuff packs in TS4 but £10 is ridiculous. To anyone who is trying to say this is purely about the changing status of various international currencies, why is only The Sims 4 DLC affected???

Exactly, no other titles in EA’s catalogue have this price increase. So if it’s purely economics and not poor EA’s fault why is it just one title with this change? Why not one of their other titles?

As one of their own game changers said “Eps are not worth 52 dollars”
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2018
    They were on offer over Christmas (which was when I got my copy of Cats&Dogs) and now they're off offer they take a jump up higher than before. My Stuff Packs were £7:99 - roughly on par with America paying $9:99. Now it's more expensive in the UK. It's only a mercy I'm mostly up to date but of course Laundry Day comes out at the new high price. It's really putting me off buying Stuff Packs.

It's not even as if Origin has sales all that often.

Who wants a price hike? PLAYER FIRST!!!

I just want to say that while this is extremely sleazy, it's not just EA that does it. Doesn't make it less sleazy. But it's a standard business practice because ALL these companies think we have brains with the same IQ as washing-machine lint and won't notice.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    > @PolluxSims said:
    > Wanderer1812 wrote: »
    >
    > and here I thought £7.99 was pushing it, £10? nope,
    > I don't understand why prices vary so greatly from country to country :/
    > For physical copies I guess an argument can be made, but, digital? Why the price differences?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This is a good question, though at the same time, aren't most digital copies the same as physical copies for games? I'm in no way trying to excuse the sudden price hike, but wouldn't people with physical copies be upset that they're paying more? Idk just a thought.

With Physical copies you can take distribution, cost of disc packaging ect leading to extra cost. So some people may be upset (always some) but it makes sense that a physical copy would cost more.
    With digital...why would it cost more? always found that strange.

Going digital would save the customers money when that thought came to mind but for some developers/publishers it did not matter if they decreased thier overhead and could have passed those savings to the customer as they do when thier overhead goes up. I only get digital at two sites GOG and Steam because thier daily sales and you can get some good up to date gates at a much cheaper price.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited January 2018
    Additionally, giving notice has nothing to do with it. It's not inflation because otherwise America's prices would have risen too.

Not only is EA not exactly scrabbling for money (boy am I sick of people trying to justify them needing to make MORE profit), people who don't live in America are paying more than Americans when it comes to exchange rates. The only people who might not realise, are Americans themselves. You know, this is opening the gates for a price rise in America in a few months - say by about $3 for Stuff Packs. That way they'll be roughly in line with other countries! So this is a good reason for Americans to get off their bottoms and say something too.

Yeah, in this age of digital downloads not EA nor any game company has any reason to charge any country a penny different for any country.

Stuff Packs, I used to think were better value than the Sims 3 Store. Not so much now.

Oh, and console players? Thinking you're lucky? Well, this is a sign that you'll get a price rise soon too so that you're in line with the PC. So it might be an idea to bring it up...
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    VibseVibse Posts: 100 Member
    I just checked Origin and the price for me is the same as it has always been. 79dkk which is around 13 usd when converted so I don't understand they put Denmark on the list unless they still need to change the price.
    Origin ID: Vibse83
    The Jensen family tree
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Yeah here in the UK the price for the packs have gone up, for example a stuff pack is now £9.99 from £7.99 which in my opinion is unjustified. If it was a price rise to say £8.50 I would be less annoyed. It would be fair enough if we was all earning more but we aren't.
    source_1.gif

Well... The British people chose to decrease the value of their currency on purpose. That's what happens. It's basic economics.

Don't say it like we all chose to.

Oh I know you didn't. Not even within England.
    But it shows an important lesson: Always. Vote.

I did vote thank you very much, why wouldn't I after people fought for us to have that privilege?

Without derailing this thread too much i'd like to say I did vote to stay in a certain place (Not sure if we are allowed to talk about it) and there was another outcome therefore not all British people choose to be like that, I for one do not anyway and I am English.

Therefore saying "The British people chose to decrease the value of their currency on purpose" is not completely true as not all us of choose for that outcome and you categorising all of us into one which is not fair.
    And just for the record the price rise is for a fact unjustified considering the euro €9.99 translates into £8.81 GBP and $9.99 USD translates into £7.21 GBP therefore it is literally penny pitching, we haven't even left that certain place yet. Oh and fyi we was having price rises as far back as 2015/2016 before any of that even happened. :)
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    @Loanet i agree majorly with you on that. its totally unfair that some countries have to pay more even ones like me that is just north of them. the saddest thing is if they had a system like steam where you can buy cards and such to buy the games it might not be a problem but people having to use other means to get the game ie credit cards or other gift cards which is hard because even with the credit cards gift cards you're left with some money or now a lot of money if you buy gp since its plumming 25.99 cnd! which means you need to buy a 50 now in order to get it with the taxes which brings a total of 29.37 almost 30 bucks. they're making it hard on the people that don't get the luxury of have the ea card.
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top