Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Phantasmal Fantasy Reading Circle (Looking for members)

Comments

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    @chalicen @TheYayToast

Great question @chalicen . :) I love trying to figure out what inspired the sims worlds. :blush:

This week, we look at Friends of Foes.

I've noticed we've all been quite busy so I'm just going to ask one question and it is just one this time. Promise. :D

How are you enjoying the story so far? (I give you permission to be honest. :D )Is there anything you want to see more of in later chapters?

Hope you all have a wonderful week!
  • Options
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    So sorry for the late reply ><
    How are you enjoying the story so far? (I give you permission to be honest. :D )Is there anything you want to see more of in later chapters?

Well here's my honest, brutal, unfiltered opinion:
    It is nothing I have ever read before, and it's so INTERESTING. There's more to Alex and Henry than I ever imagined at the beginning of the story, and I gotta love the way you reveal it, slowly, through various methods of storytelling. The story is inspired by existing stories but the events are no less unexpected. Some characters jump out and demand to be loved. As a rule I prefer to read about nice people over mean people... but this story is my exception ahahaha.

Anything I want to see more of:
    Well Talula, of course. (What did you expect, coming from me? xD) Besides that, I want to see some Paris vs. Alex & Henry tension. I feel that a Grandmaster Vampire vs. the King and his man would make for some pretty intense scenes.

Random last minute question for you:
    Have there been any major changes to the storyline so far because of character autonomy?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Ah thanks @chalicen . I'm glad you're enjoying it. And don't worry, I have some more Talula chapters planned. XD As for Paris, Alex and Henry, hehe... well, that brings me to your question.

I am planning to make a major change to the plot regarding Paris, Alex and Henry. I don't want to say too much, because I don't want to give away any spoilers, but the plot regarding those three is going to stray quite a bit from what I initially planned. This is mainly to do with Paris and his/her reactions to certain major events. I'll let you know what the change is when it happens, but it has something to do with the real Alexander the Great plot, not that I keep very closely to it. :D
    Paris has been the most surprising character so far. Both Paris and Lilith weren't really supposed to be as big a characters as they are. :D Originally Lauren was supposed to play Paris's role, but I guess Paris stole the spotlight. XD
    You know Henry and Alex weren't supposed to be the main characters initially. I don't actually remember when I even decided they were the protagonists. :D The story was going to be very different. It was about a policewoman arriving in a dodgy town, but then the king and queen died randomly in the game and I changed the plot. XD But I'm glad I went with this one. :) Much more fun. :blush:
    Talula wasn't going to be as big a character either, but I decided to make her a bigger character because you like her so much and I was secretly miffed she was dead.
    Post edited by simscognito on
  • Options
    @TheYayToast @chalicen

@TheYayToast I've seen you've been away for a while. Just wanted to make sure you're okay to be spotlighted this week.
  • Options
    ...In the meantime can we discuss inspiration and the meaning behind the saying 'write what you know'?
  • Options
    TheYayToastTheYayToast Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited April 2018
    Eeep! I didn't mean to be so absent. I'll have a real post with coherent thoughts tomorrow. I'm actually still writing the next part of Death's Bride... So it's finally almost done.

I'll also go ahead and answer the question over Friends of Foes. Sorry for being a space case recently.
    Post edited by TheYayToast on
  • Options
    @simscognito Hey there. Here's my belated answers to your questions!

I'm definitely enjoying the story so far. I think your general plot is good. I am curious to see what Alex's intentions are now that he's going to ascend offically to the throne.

The only thing that I didn't like was the having Henry and Alex secretly dating since they were kids. I think it takes a little bit of the romance out that the build up has taken place in the past where we didn't get to see it. The scenes of them together in the present day are quite cute, so that might make up for it.

I'm not sure if there's anything in particular I want to see in future chapters. Maybe just more of an explanation into Lauren's death. Did she succumb to battle wounds or was it foul play?
  • Options
    @TheYayToast

Thanks for your feedback. Ooh you've given me a great idea with where I want to go with Lauren. :grin: Thanks so much. :blush:

As for Henry and Alex. Thanks for bringing this up. It was something I did consider before starting the story.

However, I wouldn't say they were 'dating.' They never put a label on their relationship. As far as Halex are concerned, they're best friends, but yes, they are lovers as well, just not necessarily boyfriends. <3

The reason why I decided to go with Halex having been romantic prior to when we meet them is because of how the story of Alexander The Great goes. Alexander and Hephaestion (Henry) were best friends since they were kids. I didn't think it right if I didn't honour that part of the story. Furthermore, it would hinder some of the themes I am developing had I not had Halex close since childhood. After all, there's nothing quite like old friends.

The same goes for the romance. A popular theory for historians who believe Hephaestion and Alexander were lovers, is that the two were intimate in their youth (childhood to teen hood). Again, because I am going with the theory that Hephaestion and Alexander were lovers, it would feel wrong to not make them intimate prior to meeting them, but nothing illegal :smile: .

There is another reason for this as well.

What a lot of modern historians find interesting about the ancient historians on Alexander is that they write Hephaestion and Alexander's relationship as if we are just supposed to know they're an item (whether platonic or romantic). For example, Hephaestion would just get mentioned randomly as if he had been there all the time and this is after not being mentioned for ages throughout the text. The readers are supposed to assume Hephaestion has been with Alexander all the time because he's, well, Hephaestion.

This is also why it would have felt slightly 'artificial' if I made Halex a gradual romance, because I would be missing the point of Alexander and Hephaestion. They have always been together. It's also why Alex and Henry refer to each other as 'best friends,' because Alexander and Hephaestion did too. Their friendship comes first beyond everything else because they've been best friends since forever.

I was aware, however, that if I made Halex already a couple when we begin the story, that it would potentially lose a bit of the romance. *Heavy sigh* Some of the problems when you base something on an existing story.

Having said that, it wasn't really my intention to write Halex romantically. They are from warring families after all and pretty bloodthirsty!

Hephaestion was known to be a menace, although there are those historians (me included) who think he's been unfairly judged. (A theory that I think has just come about suggests that there's even been an attempt to write him out of history because of the possibility of him and Alexander being romantic).

And Alexander, well, he was a megalomaniac with a terrible drinking problem.

Anyway, sorry for the long response. I got so excited when you brought this up, so thank you heaps for your honest feedback. It was really appreciated. :)
  • Options
    chalicen wrote: »
    ...In the meantime can we discuss inspiration and the meaning behind the saying 'write what you know'?

@chalicen it looks like the power and broadband's finally up again. Unfortunately this late in the evening, so I'll be answering this question tomorrow. But I just wanted to say (in case the power goes off again in the mean time) that I've been wanting to answer this all week. XD
  • Options

@chalicen it looks like the power and broadband's finally up again. Unfortunately this late in the evening, so I'll be answering this question tomorrow. But I just wanted to say (in case the power goes off again in the mean time) that I've been wanting to answer this all week. XD

Aw man now you've just got me anticipating your answer!! xD
  • Options

Okay @chalicen going to answer the question now.

'Write what you know' is an interesting saying which many mistake for meaning literally writing what you know, but what it's actually saying is write what you're familiar with. In other words, draw on real emotions.

There's an article I've recently read, comparing method acting with this analogy. What method actors do is draw upon real emotion to get inside their characters heads. For example, an actor may be playing a cold-blooded killer. They may not be a killer themselves, but they may draw upon a memory where they really felt like murdering someone.

Being trained in method acting myself, I act out a lot of scenes and characters interactions before writing them.

Although I'm not really acting when playing Paris.

When writing a scene I'm unfamiliar with, I often just draw upon an emotion. I don't necessarily remember a specific memory, just an emotion. I find if you spend time remembering the memory, you'll end up being unable to distinguish you from the character and the fictional scenario. The method I use is called sense-memory, where it's about the energy of the emotion you're harnessing. I use that method a lot when writing Alex because he is a royal with a personality quite different to my own. He is very addictive to play, mind you.

I have used the odd emotional memory (which is remembering an event that is somewhat similar to the one you're acting/writing). For Paris's scenes, such as Paris's letter writing, I draw upon some of my own experiences. Also, some of Henry's childhood memories are inspired by my own as well.

There's that saying 'every author puts a touch of themselves into their works.' I suppose that can be linked to the saying 'write what you know.'

I suppose if you want to be authentic with anything, it doesn't matter how much research you do on the subject, at the end of the day, the authenticity comes from your experiences and your ability to emotionally connect with the subject.

Speaking of research, I did do a lot of research into the story of Hephaestion and Alexander. I am a great believer in doing lots of research before writing, even if you think you know the subject really well.

What do you think? :)
  • Options
    @chalicen @TheYayToast
    @chalicen it is your turn this week in the reading circle. Are you okay to go?
  • Options
    @Simscognito Sorry, I'm still here, I'll write out an answer tomorrow! Just been sick and busy ^^;;;;
  • Options

I definitely believe in the "write what you know" and agree, but disagree with Cog's idea that it doesn't mean write literally what you know. Sometimes just writing exactly about what you know works out well. I mean, Stephen King has made a career about writing about teachers or writers from Maine. ;)

I do a lot of acting when it comes to my characters too. I tend to have one focal character that I'll get seriously into the head of and try to nail their personality and desires. It makes that character really easy to write, but it does give me a tendency to lose interest in the project when I get bored of being that character. Most my characters are actually just parts of myself turned up to 11 anyhow or me if I was a blank or worked as a blank. So for example, my investigative journalist with crayola red hair, a bad attitude and the tendency to make trouble is me even though I'm usually pretty meek and cutesy. >.>

I don't think my bad A crime boss is me, but she might be. :|

But I do have the tendency to actually write stuff I do know from experience. I've also started using locations and things that I actually know. It gives it a sense of realism. Though I had to go and create another entire story set in a made up British town... I guess that goes back to Cog's last point... Research is a life saver. Good research is invaluable. It can get you up to speed on topics you have no prior knowledge of and can be fun. (I'm a massive nut for research.) That and you can always fudge a little detail here or there. (Jim Butcher had never been to Chicago when first drafting the Dresden Files.) Like I'm sure Cog or Busgie will say my Brit stuff is wrong, but hey... I can have creative license! :P (People still poke at Jim Butcher a little for him saying Wrigley stadium had a huge parking lot. It actually doesn't, but it made for a much more interesting story so you can forgive him.)
  • Options
    I definitely believe in the "write what you know" and agree, but disagree with Cog's idea that it doesn't mean write literally what you know. Sometimes just writing exactly about what you know works out well. I mean, Stephen King has made a career about writing about teachers or writers from Maine.
    Oh no, I didn't mean you couldn't write what you know. I just meant writing what you know didn't mean you had to restrict yourself to literally what you know. Stephen King's actually a good example of the point I was making. He draws upon his own knowledge and experiences and applies it to unfamiliar situations - I probably don't need to explain what these unfamiliar situations are! :D He probably also applies parts of his experiences to characters potentially different to him, which goes to the point you were making about putting a part of yourself in all your characters. That's also an example of drawing on your own experiences and applying it to a new situation, even if it is a completely new character entirely.
    As for the English village. :D Aw no, I wouldn't say that. I actually like it. I often spend time admiring your sets. They're super athmospheric. :)
  • Options
    I definitely believe in the "write what you know" and agree, but disagree with Cog's idea that it doesn't mean write literally what you know. Sometimes just writing exactly about what you know works out well. I mean, Stephen King has made a career about writing about teachers or writers from Maine.
    Oh no, I didn't mean you couldn't write what you know. I just meant writing what you know didn't mean you had to restrict yourself to literally what you know. Stephen King's actually a good example of the point I was making. He draws upon his own knowledge and experiences and applies it to unfamiliar situations - I probably don't need to explain what these unfamiliar situations are! :D He probably also applies parts of his experiences to characters potentially different to him, which goes to the point you were making about putting a part of yourself in all your characters. That's also an example of drawing on your own experiences and applying it to a new situation, even if it is a completely new character entirely.
    As for the English village. :D Aw no, I wouldn't say that. I actually like it. I often spend time admiring your sets. They're super athmospheric. :)

That's a great way to put it!

I actually didn't mean the sets I make for DB. Though thanks much for liking them!

I love my little dirty village square. Adding the poop made all the sims so uncomfortable they didn't want to do anything. I had to clean up all the poop before I was able to capture the rest of the screen shots.

I have a story about a girl that goes to England for uni. It's a lot more complicated than just that, but yeah. Mad Science and Romance. Things like that. Hahaha.
  • Options

I actually didn't mean the sets I make for DB. Though thanks much for liking them!

I love my little dirty village square. Adding the poop made all the sims so uncomfortable they didn't want to do anything. I had to clean up all the poop before I was able to capture the rest of the screen shots.

I have a story about a girl that goes to England for uni. It's a lot more complicated than just that, but yeah. Mad Science and Romance. Things like that. Hahaha.

Oh cool! That sounds like fun! Which uni does she go to or is it a fictional one?
  • Options

Oh cool! That sounds like fun! Which uni does she go to or is it a fictional one?

A fictional one. I started with the idea of her going to Oxford, but ended up going with a fictional one as the story got more and more fleshed out. I was going to have her be selected for attending the All Souls College, but I think I was just really falling into research mode. It was going to end up distracting from the main point of the story.
  • Options
    @Simscognito @TheYayToast Thanks for the answers guys! I had a think over it, and I quite agree with "draw from real emotions". But there are times where those are hard- I have once imagined how I would go about if I wanted to kill someone in cold blood, and the realisation of how easy it would be and the fact that I was thinking of such horrible things literally had me terrified and unable to sleep that night. (Am I too emotional??)
    So for me, 'write what you know' usually is me writing about certain things I can sympathise with, but for the things that's hard for me to imagine, I'd have to make it up I guess... Or as you all said, research it. :)
    That being said, it IS rather addictive to play Sims with different personalities to me. It's very liberating. Morals and ethics are almost non-existent in Sims after all xD
  • Options
    Ok so random question. Has anyone tried to make a whole new plot from scratch? Because usually when I build a plot, I'm mostly reusing old ones I never got around to writing, or they just come to me when inspiration strikes. I've never sat down and tried to make a plot out of nothing. Or at least, not before now. I'm trying to come up with something new and I'm stumped xD Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this?
  • Options
    Ok so random question. Has anyone tried to make a whole new plot from scratch? Because usually when I build a plot, I'm mostly reusing old ones I never got around to writing, or they just come to me when inspiration strikes. I've never sat down and tried to make a plot out of nothing. Or at least, not before now. I'm trying to come up with something new and I'm stumped xD Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this?
    @chalicen
    I'm a bit confused with what you're asking, because nowadays there is no original plot. Are you meaning making a story that is not based on an existing story?
    I have done that before. How I write the plot for that is I create the characters. Then I play around with them, see what they'll do in different scenarios. As I am learning about these characters, a plot starts to form in my head.
  • Options
    @chalicen
    I'm a bit confused with what you're asking, because nowadays there is no original plot. Are you meaning making a story that is not based on an existing story?
    I have done that before. How I write the plot for that is I create the characters. Then I play around with them, see what they'll do in different scenarios. As I am learning about these characters, a plot starts to form in my head.

For clarification (though I think you got it), it's like this- you want to write a whole new story, because you thought up an awesome concept, or a charcter, and you want to use them. But alas, you can't think of a plot. None of the other plots you have stored away to write one day won't work with this. You need to come up with a new plot that will do this concept, or character, justice.
    I tried what you said about playing around with characters and making a plot from there, except the scale of the story kind of threw it out of whack. I wanted there to be something big going on that that affects the whole world, and my characters get swept up in them. Playing around with my little cast of characters so far hasn't cast any light on what this gigantic thing is, and what's behind it.
    Yeah I know it's one really backwards way to write. I feel like I'm trying to build a shoe around my foot rather than buying one that fits. It needs a loooot of more planning before it gets anywhere. I guess I wanted to write something very different from my (bunch of loners) legacy family, and landed on something in the opposite extreme and rather out of my reach. Inspiration will hopefully hit someday!
  • Options
    @chalicen
    Oh right. Do you know the world they live in well? Look up online for world building questionaires. That can sometimes help with getting a better idea of the world the characters live in. Sometimes it even gives you a better idea of the threat they are up against, which can spark plot.

Also, writing out character timelines can be helpful, after the worldbuilding, because you'll see at a better scale where the interesting parts are.

Hope I'm being helpful. :D
  • Options
    @chalicen
    Oh right. Do you know the world they live in well? Look up online for world building questionaires. That can sometimes help with getting a better idea of the world the characters live in. Sometimes it even gives you a better idea of the threat they are up against, which can spark plot.

Also, writing out character timelines can be helpful, after the worldbuilding, because you'll see at a better scale where the interesting parts are.

Hope I'm being helpful. :D

You're right, I think it's high time for some world building. Thanks!

Unrelated, but have you ever wanted to write another story at the same time as Friends of Foes?