Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Phantasmal Fantasy Reading Circle (Looking for members)

Comments

• Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    chalicen wrote: »
    @chalicen
    Oh right. Do you know the world they live in well? Look up online for world building questionaires. That can sometimes help with getting a better idea of the world the characters live in. Sometimes it even gives you a better idea of the threat they are up against, which can spark plot.

Also, writing out character timelines can be helpful, after the worldbuilding, because you'll see at a better scale where the interesting parts are.

Hope I'm being helpful. :D

You're right, I think it's high time for some world building. Thanks!

Unrelated, but have you ever wanted to write another story at the same time as Friends of Foes?

Not really. I wouldn't have the time for another story, anyway. Uni's got me pretty swamped. :D
    I am working on a novel outside of simLit though. Wrote it last year, but it has a long way to go before I am satisfied with it. :D
    It's a fantasy (verging on scifi but not really) story set on many different planets and the protagonist is a incompetant God who's trying to fix a detrimental mistake they made when they were a kiddiwink.

What about you? :)
  • Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    @chalicen
    Oh right. Do you know the world they live in well? Look up online for world building questionaires. That can sometimes help with getting a better idea of the world the characters live in. Sometimes it even gives you a better idea of the threat they are up against, which can spark plot.

Also, writing out character timelines can be helpful, after the worldbuilding, because you'll see at a better scale where the interesting parts are.

Hope I'm being helpful. :D

You're right, I think it's high time for some world building. Thanks!

Unrelated, but have you ever wanted to write another story at the same time as Friends of Foes?

Not really. I wouldn't have the time for another story, anyway. Uni's got me pretty swamped. :D
    I am working on a novel outside of simLit though. Wrote it last year, but it has a long way to go before I am satisfied with it. :D
    It's a fantasy (verging on scifi but not really) story set on many different planets and the protagonist is a incompetant God who's trying to fix a detrimental mistake they made when they were a kiddiwink.

What about you? :)

That's so cool! It ain't easy being a god xD Who put him in charge when he was still a kiddiwink??

As for me, I'm also quite swamped with uni, so all the stories floating around in my head will probably be unwritten for the time being. I wouldn't have decided to start another one if my roomie hadn't been up for it, and that one's gonna take a while too. I think I'll sort out the chaos in the lab then get down to writing again! :smiley:
  • Options
    @TheYayToast @chalicen

Hi all, so sorry I'm late! Been unwell.

This week we're supposed to look at Friends of Foes, but because we're all quite busy and I'm not 100% myself, I thought we might continue this story discussion @chalicen started.

What do you all think?

If you like the idea,

Here's my question. What do you enjoy most about writing?

As to answer your question @chalicen, no one did. They're not in charge of anything. They're one of many gods, but they did accidentally create something that they have to look after and suffer the consequences... okay, now I'm thinking of Frankenstein, lol! :D
    Did you mention you were writing something other than Winters Alchemy? I remember you saying something about starting another story. :)
  • Options
    Still not better? I hope it improves soon... :)

What do you enjoy most about writing?
    I always enjoy the rush of creativity I feel when I'm truly inspired. Like running a marathon, I feel like I can go on writing for pages and pages. I chuck out all sorts of ridiculous ideas and jam them together into a clunky plot, which is later refined. Man I love it when a plot falls into place. I just have to ride the inspiration when it comes. I never get anywhere when I force it :D

And yes, I am going to write something else! It's going to have screenshots too, I'm so excited to dive into that challenge. I'm writing it with my roommate and we're at the crazy brainstorming stage. Hopefully we'll start the actual writing soon!
  • Options
    TheYayToastTheYayToast Posts: 1,466 Member
    @simscognito @chalicen

Hey you two! Sorry I've been so silent. I don't know what's gotten into me. Time just has been rushing past me and a million things popping in the way I guess. Your story idea sounds quite funny, Cog. I love stories with gods with a human side or fault to them. One of my favorite books of all time is Good Omens. ;)

I love the passion and enthusiasm that comes with a new project too, Chalicen. It's hard not to dive head first into things and come up with a million ideas that would be just wonderful to do with it.

I'm actually kind of at that point too. Which brings me to Cog's question:

What do you enjoy most about writing?

I love the escapism factor. I love falling into a new world and just writing away. There's so much to do and it's so fun to watch as this little fictional world starts to grow and get fleshed out. It's exciting taking the little clay ball of a character and shaping them into a unique fictional person. Or putting in your own experiences or things you've learned about in brand new ways to see how it'll turn out.

I do love creating little scenes and just daydreaming up what would my character do in so and so situation. So if I'm not careful, I'll just be content with that.

I've actually started writing a new book. I wanted to write a young adult story. So it's the teenage version of a character I had created for another series. She's a powerful psychic going to a high school for the first time while balancing her work for the government. Well there's a little more than that, but ya know. It's been so much fun to write. I've been managing to get about 2,000 words a day. I'm on chapter 8 now... so I guess that explains where a lot of my time has been going at least for the last week. :wink:
  • Options
    Hi all! Bringing you the next chapter of Friends of Foes.
    Chapter twenty five: Stuck In The Middle

@chalicen @TheYayToast

Thanks for your responses. :)@chalicen good luck with your new story. Ooh, I'd be interested to see what you do with the screenshots. I'm sure you'll be great. XD

@TheYayToast AHHH I LOVE GOOD OMENS!!!!

A new book? You must be teeming with ideas at the moment. Ahh that premise sounds awesome. Nothing better than a bit of psychic powers. :blush:
  • Options

@chalicen @TheYayToast

Thanks for your responses. :)@chalicen good luck with your new story. Ooh, I'd be interested to see what you do with the screenshots. I'm sure you'll be great. XD

A new book? You must be teeming with ideas at the moment. Ahh that premise sounds awesome. Nothing better than a bit of psychic powers. :blush:

Ah! I really liked the new chapter.

I usually dislike Adrian, but she was so sweet and human here. It was a pleasant change.

I adored Good Omens. I mean, American Gods and Anansi Boys were good, but Good Omens was so much fun. Gaiman and Pratchett were hilarious. I do really like Pratchett's Diskworld series too though.

I am quite over loaded with ideas. I'm having to reign myself in. It's such a different story than I've done before cause it's a young adult series. So actually in high school and all that entails. I'm so in love with my main character, Melody. She's adorable. She has two equally sexy love interests and an over protective big brother that has all the girls drooling over him. I'll probably start posting it up on WattPad soon, but I'm always looking for beta readers if you want to check it out. :tongue:
  • Options
    Hi guys, sorry I've been sick myself for the past few days...

@TheYayToast You started a new story? That's awesome! You must be at that stage I love most then- the inspired stage where you can't keep the ideas away. I hope you're having fun writing! I'd love to read it one day :smiley: Also, Good Omens? I'll take that as a book recommendation! Thanks!

@simscognito I immensely enjoyed this update. First, I did not know a fire could start in a refrigerator xD Second, I loved reading Paris' play. He/she writes the situation with a lot of bias, and it's hilarious and intriguing at the same time. How much of it is real?? As much as I like Henry, he is not an 'Innocent victim of war'.
    Also, what do YOU enjoy most about writing? :)
  • Options
    Hi guys, sorry I've been sick myself for the past few days...

@TheYayToast You started a new story? That's awesome! You must be at that stage I love most then- the inspired stage where you can't keep the ideas away. I hope you're having fun writing! I'd love to read it one day :smiley: Also, Good Omens? I'll take that as a book recommendation! Thanks!

@simscognito I immensely enjoyed this update. First, I did not know a fire could start in a refrigerator xD Second, I loved reading Paris' play. He/she writes the situation with a lot of bias, and it's hilarious and intriguing at the same time. How much of it is real?? As much as I like Henry, he is not an 'Innocent victim of war'.
    Also, what do YOU enjoy most about writing? :)

Oh gosh! Thanks @chalicen . Lol! I know right? I was surprised too when the fire started in the refrigerator. I guess the answers lie with the Sweglords. - possibly Meg since she was the gang leader. :D I suppose the fireworks were that strong. XD

Ahh Paris does write with a lot of bias. At that point she was absolutely furious with Alex and totally oblivious to Henry's role in all of this, as most Sweglords are. Just look at Victor and his cousins. They all think he's lovely. :D
    As for how much of the play was true.... well... I guess that's up to you to decide...... :tongue:

What do I most enjoy about writing? Characters! Definitely characters! I just loooove roleplaying and writing dialogue and getting to explore different personlaties and perspectives. I am sooo addicted to Alex. I won't lie. :D He's just soooo much fuuuun to write. I guess it's partly to do with just how much I love Alexander and I also really enjoyed researching into the Royal Family.
    I'm also quite enjoying writing Paris's answers to an oc interview I was tagged for. I'm kinda drawing a little bit on Diana with this interview, but I won't say more on that. ;)
  • Options
    @TheYayToast @chalicen

Thanks everyone for your responses. This discussion has been fun. :blush:

@TheYayToast it's your turn to be spotlighted this week. Are you okay to go? :)
  • Options

@chalicen @TheYayToast

I usually dislike Adrian, but she was so sweet and human here. It was a pleasant change.

I adored Good Omens. I mean, American Gods and Anansi Boys were good, but Good Omens was so much fun. Gaiman and Pratchett were hilarious. I do really like Pratchett's Diskworld series too though.

I am quite over loaded with ideas. I'm having to reign myself in. It's such a different story than I've done before cause it's a young adult series. So actually in high school and all that entails. I'm so in love with my main character, Melody. She's adorable. She has two equally sexy love interests and an over protective big brother that has all the girls drooling over him. I'll probably start posting it up on WattPad soon, but I'm always looking for beta readers if you want to check it out. :tongue:

@TheYayToast
    I just realised, I'd forgotten to thank you for the compliment regarding my chapter, so thank you. :) Yeah, Adrian does have a nice side, although it's hard to believe sometimes. :D
  • Options
    @TheYayToast @chalicen

Thanks everyone for your responses. This discussion has been fun. :blush:

@TheYayToast it's your turn to be spotlighted this week. Are you okay to go? :)

Ah hah. I'm cool to go. I just don't know what to ask! Hehe.

chalicen @TheYayToast

@TheYayToast
    I just realised, I'd forgotten to thank you for the compliment regarding my chapter, so thank you. :) Yeah, Adrian does have a nice side, although it's hard to believe sometimes. :D

Haha, no big deal. I did like the chapter a lot and I'm sad to see...
    that the one time I get to see her nice side it's cause she's having to say goodbye to the boy she loves. That's pretty sad...
  • Options
    I guess my question for the week is:

What books or authors inspire you? Who or what would you say is your greatest influence when it comes to your works?
  • Options
    @TheYayToast
    I'm sooooo sorry I forgot to answer your question. I wrote it out on a separate document but forgot to post.
    Then I thought it wasn't a good enough response so I rewrote it, but it became very brief. I hope you don't mind it not being a long answer. :(
    I guess my question for the week is:
    @TheYayToast
    What books or authors inspire you? Who or what would you say is your greatest influence when it comes to your works?

Good question.

I guess, Hemingway was the writer who inspired me to focus a lot on dialogue. I find conversations fascinating. You could be having one conversation on the surface but a completely different conversation underneath.

Okay, sorry for being brief, but he is all I could think of right now. :(
  • Options
    @chalicen @TheYayToast

Thanks @TheYayToast for your awesome question. I apologise for not answering it better. :(

It is @chalicen 's turn in the reading circle this week.

chalicen, are you good to go? :)
  • Options
    Once again, sorry for the late answer, I'm always busy at the worst times...
    My reading list has always been biased towards the fantasy side. I'm always in search of good fantasy books to fuel my inspiration. Unfortunately, recent YA fantasy books continue to disappoint me. :/
    What authors inspire me... Well there is this one author whom I absolutely love, and I would scream her name from the rooftops every day if it weren't for the fact she was Korean and not many people would be able to read what she wrote. Tis a shame. Her writing is beautiful, and sometimes it gives me shivers. She's also able to construct intricate plots... Some people just have all the talent. Gah.
    Otherwise, there are definitely authors that write in English that I adore, but I shan't say who they are here because... They mostly write for children and I'm embarrassed xD Yup, I like children's books more than YA books.
    Ok, that answer wasn't very helpful. Sorry... I guess I need more books to read huh.

Ooh is it my turn already? Time flies when I'm not updating. I really need to write...
    What about this:
    Is there anything in particular you want to see/not see when you read about a character with disabilities?
    It's a topic I don't have direct experience with, and I want to be careful.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @BlackUndecimber sorry this was late. I've been thinking about your question.

Also, don't be embarrassed about liking children's stories. I'm a shameless fan of Cressida Cowell's books.

Anyway, This is a really interesting question. What type of disability are you thinking about? Mental or physical?

I guess for both, I would like to see these characters navigating through the narrative without the story being about the disability. What I mean is having them manage the disability without it being the narrative's focus. I find way too often in literature and in media, the disability defines the character. This is also the case when representing other minorities. It's a problem because it takes away from the character being a well-rounded person.
  • Options
    @TheYayToast @BlackUndecimber

Hi everyone! Sorry I am very late with this.
    It is my turn this week, which is why I didn't mind so much being late. :D

Uhm, question time. I'll go away and try to remember what it was...
  • Options
    @BlackUndecimber sorry this was late. I've been thinking about your question.

Also, don't be embarrassed about liking children's stories. I'm a shameless fan of Cressida Cowell's books.

Anyway, This is a really interesting question. What type of disability are you thinking about? Mental or physical?

I guess for both, I would like to see these characters navigating through the narrative without the story being about the disability. What I mean is having them manage the disability without it being the narrative's focus. I find way too often in literature and in media, the disability defines the character. This is also the case when representing other minorities. It's a problem because it takes away from the character being a well-rounded person.

Hehe thanks xD

Well I was wondering if there was a blanket type thing for all types of disabilities. I agree that a disability shouldn't 'define' a character. There's so much to a person after all. I read up articles on how people with disabilities should be represented, and I was just curious about your opinion :)

And take your time with the question. I'll go read the latest chapters again xD
  • Options
    Thanks @BlackUndecimber :blush: Goodluck with your writing. I'm intrigued now after your question. :)

Uhm... question time.

Okay here's a fun one.
    Did Alex make the right decision proposing to Henry? How confident are you that this is going to work out?

I honestly cannot remember the question I wanted to ask! :D But anyway, I'll keep thinking.
  • Options
  • Options
    @BlackUndecimber and @TheYayToast
    It's @TheYayToast 's turn this week in the reading circle.
    @TheYayToast are you okay to go? :)
  • Options
    @simscognito Argh sorry, it seems like I'm taking longer and longer to reply. I've been so busy... Hardly any time to write... and I think I'm coming down with something.
    But in answer to your question (and I might do a more detailed answer later), is: I think he made the right decision, but in the worst circumstances. Worse than a Romeo and Juliet situation. And... no I don't think it'll work too well, because I've stopped believing that love is enough to overcome circumstances. It's just too dire right now. But hey, there's always hope...
    Predictions aside, I'm conflicted as to whether or not I WANT them to be happy. I like Alex and Henry as characters, but I'm still trying to make up my mind as to whether I like them as human beings. That's another story altogether.
  • Options
    Ahhhh I love your response @BlackUndecimber !!!
    How is it all your answers are super insightful??!!!
    And no worries, this is a really busy time of year. Even I'm late to comment sometimes. Aw no! Hope you're alright. Sending you a get well card. :(

That was super interesting about what you said about Alex and Henry making the right decision in the wrong circumstances... I won't say anymore in case I leak any spoilers. :D

Also, you may not want Halex to be happy? Aww, Halex feels really hurt.

Nah, I don't blame you actually. Even I want them to get their commupeance sometimes. :D

Alex: But I'm nice and kind and good.
    Me: Pfffft!!!!
  • Options
    @Simscognito So I saw a picture of Alex and Henry with the words 'Love Conquers All' (I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong) and that got me thinking... It could mean what it often means, that love can overcome all barriers and that Halex is gonna work out and be happy, or it could be a reference to Alexander the Great, that conquering plum, and it might have less to do with them working out and more of what will happen when they don't... (I feel anxious on behalf of the 'all' being conquered.)
    Wow that was a long sentence. Just a random thought I had, thought I'd mention it as an addition to my answer above, sorry xD