Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Phantasmal Fantasy Reading Circle (Looking for members)

Comments

• pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    Hello, all :) I haven't been active in a while because of real life stuff, so I'll just be switching to observer status until I can get back to actively writing again, so you can skip my turn.

On the other hand, Happy Chinese New Year! Have some rice cake :)

photo0766.jpg
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    No worries @pronterus. Come back when you're ready. :) And awesome!!! I love rice cakes. XD Really? The year of the dog? Wow, that's a coincidence since Henry just got a dog the other day. XD
    edited February 2018
    Hey guys, I totally forgot to post this here, but here's an interlude where Paris is writing to his/her pen pal, Robin, from @Bugsie2016 's story, What Are We Really Made Of? We learn a bit more about Paris and what it means to be a Sweglord, as well as gaining some insight into Lauren's backstory.

Hope you enjoy. :)

interlude-paris-has-a-pen-pal_orig.png
    edited February 2018
    @pronterus @IchigoUsagi @chalicen

I'd like to introduce @TheYayToast to our reading circle with her story Death's Bride.
    Is it alright with all of you if we spotlight her story next week?
    Hi guys, just released the next chapter of Friends of Foes. It appears the Evil Geniuses are taking prisoners.

chapter-fifteen-prisoners_orig.png
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Sorry guys, I'm really inactive at the moment, with new year and following two countries in the Winter Olympics xD
    @simscognito That sounds alright to me.

Is there any part of the story that particularly interests you or you want to know more about?
    I'm curious to what started this feud in the first place. Maybe it's such a long time ago it doesn't really matter, but still. I also wanna know what auntie and Talula are up to behind the curtain of death.
    chalicen wrote: »
    Sorry guys, I'm really inactive at the moment, with new year and following two countries in the Winter Olympics xD
    @simscognito That sounds alright to me.

Is there any part of the story that particularly interests you or you want to know more about?
    I'm curious to what started this feud in the first place. Maybe it's such a long time ago it doesn't really matter, but still. I also wanna know what auntie and Talula are up to behind the curtain of death.

Hi @chalicen no problem. I totally understand with the Winter Olympics. I'm usually following it and a big fan, but for some reason, not so much this year. Been super busy with family drama. :D Hope it's going well! XD

Oh cool! This is great! It sounds like I'm on the right track with your wishes, then. :blush: I'm currently working on Talula and Aunty chapters, so yayyy!! XD

As for what started the feud between the Sweglords and the Evil Geniuses, Adrian explains it in chapter three, and Alex explains it further in chapter eight, but the Sweglords were assigned to kill all members of His Evil Services (HES). The HES believe that the Goodie Two Shoes set the Sweglords up, because The Goodie Two Shoes and His Evil Services had been at war for ages, because one believed in World Peace and the other didn't (okay I'm simplifying things here), :D although M. Doom in the prologue explains it exactly that way. XD As it happens, The Goodie Two Shoes did not set the Sweglords up, and it was in fact another gang who was a (sort of) enemy of the Evil Geniuses, which we will discover later. Alex in chapter eight, I think mentions that it is unclear who is really paying the Sweglords to kill all HES members, but the Sweglords are not saying anything, :D Which will also be explained in time. :)

The guide to the Sims Worlds, I think, explains some more backstory regarding the HES and the Sweglords.

Thanks for your response and I promise you, Talula and Aunty have a big part to play in all this. ;)
  • TheYayToastTheYayToast Posts: 1,466 Member
    Hello everyone! If we haven't spoken before, it's a pleasure to meet you. If we have met, well hi there! I'd like to thank everyone for letting me be apart of the group. I look forward to working with you all.

My story is called Death's Bride. It's about a peasant girl named Myla from a tiny medieval town called Bois-le-Duc. She finds herself chosen to be married to the strange Lord Du Bois. She's whisked away to the Lord's manor where she's attended to by his ghostly servants.

From the beginning:
    Death's Bride - Part 1

The latest chapter:
    Part 9

Bonus Pictures
    @chalicen @IchigoUsagi @TheYayToast
    Hi all! First off! Awesome banner @TheYayToast

This week we will be focussing on @TheYayToast's Death's Bride. .

@TheYayToast will be asking us questions about her story, but you are also welcome to ask her questions too.

Hope you all enjoy. :)
    @simscognito Thanks! It was a fun excuse to try out some new water color brushes in Clip Studio. I really am pleased with the way it came out.
    edited February 2018
    Please be honest. I am open to criticism, both positive and negative. I want to grow as both a writer and as a creator. Thanks!

As a whole, describe your feelings on the overall story. What did you like or dislike about it?

Are there any areas of the plot that are unclear or feel underdeveloped?

Are the chapters satisfying? Do they feel long enough or do they end too abruptly?

What do you think about the characters? Any favorites?

Mine is Beefy Statue...

If you were to come across this story outside of this group, would you read it?
    @TheYayToast

As a whole, describe your feelings on the overall story. What did you like or dislike about it?
    Overall, I find it so intriguing. I am, however, a massive fan of fairytales - particularly the gothic ones. Nothing I dislike about it so far. I'm already routing for Death and Myla to fall in-love for real.

Not yet. It's a fairytale, so things aren't supposed to be fully explained. In fact, I love your setting descriptions. It makes everything feel so magical. I'm thinking about that wedding scene. It felt like I was walking through a dream.

Are the chapters satisfying? Do they feel long enough or do they end too abruptly?
    No, the chapters are a perfect length. Not too long. Not too short. And yes, they are very satisfying. Your use of description is amazing. It's one of the things I most enjoy about your story. Your writing style is so satisfying and very fitting for the fairytalesque feel.

My favourites are Death and Myla. I'm already shipping them. :D Myla's such a fascinating character because she's so practical (obviously because she has to be to survive). Death is fascinating because he's so mysterious, and yet not. In fact, they are both very practical, doing exactly what they have to do.... hope I'm making sense. :D It'll be interesting to see how they work together.

I was already reading it before you joined the group, so yes. :D I love fairytales and I love stories about Death, so it definitely attracted me. XD
  • IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    Hey there! Sorry for being inactive for a little bit there. :sweat_smile: Real life stuff has gotten kind of hectic again. :) I'm going to try and get caught up on everyone's stories by tomorrow.
    Hey there! Sorry for being inactive for a little bit there. :sweat_smile: Real life stuff has gotten kind of hectic again. :) I'm going to try and get caught up on everyone's stories by tomorrow.

No worries @IchigoUsagi . :) Hope you're alright. You catch up when you're ready. Don't stress too much about it. :)

I'm really enjoying it so far! I like the setting and the plot is very intriguing. I always leave a chapter feeling like I've learned more, but never quite enough. Not in a way that's unsatisfying, though! It keeps me coming back to read more. :)

I'd like to know more about the ghost servants, but I'm sure that will come with time. There isn't anything that hasn't been explained that I feel should have been explained at this point.

I think they're a good length. They always feel like they end at a natural stopping point, and the fact that they aren't super long is good for when you need to catch up a little. (Like I just did.)

Hmmm, I couldn't say any characters are particular favorites of mine. I'm always more of a fan of side-characters and there aren't too many of those yet. Lord Du Bois is my least favorite, as I've said. As for a favorite, for now I'll just say Beefy Statue. :D I hope he makes another appearance.

:) I would, because I did come across it outside of this group. The old-fashioned setting really drew me to it.
    @simscognito and @IchigoUsagi Thank you very much for your responses! I'm glad you're both enjoying the story so far!

Thank you for the compliment on my scene descriptions, Cog! It actually surprised me cause I thought I had been a little lazy on my descriptions, since I was relying on the screen captures to help set the scenes!

I'm glad you like Myla, she really is a trooper. I'm also surprised by how much you seem to like Du Bois... He's been such a butt to most people, but he can at least treat Myla with kindness so I guess maybe that's his appeal? Strong, but can be tender?

Ichigo! I hope things settle down for ya soon. Sending warm wishes and good vibes!

I will definely be elaborating more on the ghost servants. Especially Gian... He even has a name. I don't remember the two female servants names. Poor things.

Beefy Statue is the best. He will definely make another appearance. Cause he's dumb and funny.
    @TheYayToast hehe, no problem. What? I would never have guessed you were being lazy with your descriptions! They had just the right amount of detail in them that I could picture the scenes vividly.

As for Du Bois, well it does help that he's handsome. XD But, I just interpreted his behaviour to the public as part of his job. He is Death after all. Furthermore, he could be behaving that way as means of protection. I suppose being death, people are going to judge you, so best behave coldly first, if you get what I mean?

I don't know... I suppose because he's death, I didn't judge him on the same grounds as I would judge a human.
    edited March 2018
    Sorry. Late again. Lazy lazy lazy....

I adore these kinds of stories. Fantasy in a different time period, it kind of reminds me of Beauty and the Beast!
    Well there are plenty of things I liked. The story is intriguing and well-paced, and I’m always a fan of the time period it’s set in. Is it a real fairy tale? Because I’m interested to see how it goes, and if it differs from any original that’s out there!
    What did I dislike? Hmm… It’s not really something I dislike, more like a difference in opinion. So I’m at a stage in life where I’m really cynical, and I don’t think love is out there for me, so what’s so bad about an arranged marriage? It was probably common back in the day… he’s a lord… if I were in this story I’d probably be Penelope.
    …That’s just me though. Like I said, I’m cynical right now. Myla has the right reaction to this all xD

So far the premise has been laid down, and the story is beginning to unfold, so there’s nothing more I need to know at this point, I think. More exposition or description here will just lead to things being bogged down. I like to watch pieces of the plot fall into place as the story moves along, so I think it’s just great as it is now :)

I think they end just right, though I’m not the best person to ask since my chapters are all very short xD I like the balance of words and screenshots. It flows well and makes it easy to sail through the chapter.

Beefy statue is just the best, I laughed so hard when I saw him in the extra pictures xD It’d be cool if he were actually a sentient statue. Apart from the statue, I’d say my favourite character is Myla. She has a level head and a strong will- everything I’m not. I wish I were more like her. Also, I love that expression of hers from the featured image of chapter 6. She looks so indignant.

Yes, in fact, I did start reading before you joined. I can’t seem to find the ‘follow’ button, but if I had I would have been up to date xD Like I said, I adore these kinds of stories.
    Post edited by BlackUndecimber on
    @TheYayToast hehe, no problem. What? I would never have guessed you were being lazy with your descriptions! They had just the right amount of detail in them that I could picture the scenes vividly.

As for Du Bois, well it does help that he's handsome. XD But, I just interpreted his behaviour to the public as part of his job. He is Death after all. Furthermore, he could be behaving that way as means of protection. I suppose being death, people are going to judge you, so best behave coldly first, if you get what I mean?

I don't know... I suppose because he's death, I didn't judge him on the same grounds as I would judge a human.

@simscognito Hmm, I didn't think of it that way. He is a rather strange fellow, but his behavior does suit him as he's not quite human.

@chalicen No way, you're totally not lazy! I'm glad you're enjoying the story. I didn't realize that the theme I picked has a hard to find follow button.

Your opinion on arranged marriage makes perfect sense. I don't think you're being cynical. I wouldn't want to have been in an arranged marriage myself, but I understand the logic behind it.

I'm glad you liked the bonus pictures with Beefy Statue! That statue makes me laugh so hard. I don't know why, but I'm really happy he's making you all laugh as well.

I think I want to do some gag strips with Beefy Statue. Make him sentient just for that. Cause that would be silly and fun.
    @TheYayToast @IchigoUsagi @chalicen

Hi everyone,

Thanks @TheYayToast for your awesome questions. I just love your story, particularly Death - and I've heard someone mentioned his smile, it certainly is very easy. :D

This week, we shall be focussing on @IchigoUsagi 's story, The Illusion of Light.

IchigoUsagi, you are welcome to ask us questions about your story.

Readers, you are welcome to ask the author questions too.

Hope you all enjoy. :)
  • EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    Hi I'm newish around these parts and have bookmarked and will read these stories. The synopsiseseseses sound amazing! Looks like a great thing, this circle! Plus I love me some good old fantasy.

But please... ooh my... sweglords :joy: that is just pure brilliance.
    Thanks @EmzyDalsvida . You are welcome to join in on our weekly discussions as well. This week we are looking at @IchigoUsagi 's dark paranormal comedy, The Illusion Of Light. :)
    Hey, sorry I haven't been around too much lately! :sweat_smile: I've been really busy and have also had a little case of writer's block. I'll think of some questions to ask soon. :)
    Hi @IchigoUsagi @chalicen @TheYayToast

It's @chailcen's turn this week in the reading group. @chalicen are you okay to take your turn? Please feel free to say if you're too busy, because we can always take a break or move onto the next person if they are ready.

As with @IchigoUsusagi, we all understand when things get a bit hectic.
    Hiya. I'm not too busy, but most of the time I'm lazy, ahahaha.
    Since I'm terrible at asking questions, I'll just leave an open-ended one:
    If you were the characters (any of them), would you have done anything differently? Why?