Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why don't we have the LOL option anymore?

heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
edited June 2017 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
I miss it. Quite a bit of peeps here on the forums make funny comments and deserve a good "lol" reaction cause "like" and "awesome" just aren't good enough sometimes.
banner_3.jpg?w=1200

Comments

• Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    sorry @heatherXkitty but i clearly do not went to see back the lol button for the reason that sometime some comments or post might be serious
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    There are times that I too wish it was back as I do see things that are actually funny myself but I highly doubt that they will ever put it back up since there are some that would hit "lol" for a serious post that doesn't deserve to be "lol" at.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I miss it. Quite a bit of peeps here on the forums make funny comments and deserve a good "lol" reaction cause "like" and "awesome" just aren't good enough sometimes.

Would love this the amount of times I have wanted to just inform someone I laughed at a joke they made but couldn't it would open a quicker way of communicating rather than a forum post that takes up space.
    sorry @heatherXkitty but i clearly do not went to see back the lol button for the reason that sometime some comments or post might be serious
    Some comments are serious some are also goofy.
    You don't have to use it though if your worried about accidentally responding the wrong way, and the people who want to respond to the goofy and funny comments can do so without having to post and take up forum space or stray from topics to share their reactions.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    My understanding is it was taken away because it was being used to troll people.

Example: Someone writes an obviously serious comment.

A bunch of people hit "lol" to passive-aggressively mock them.

Which is a pain in the backside scenario to moderate if reported. Because how do you determine whether someone was actively trying to mock, hit the lol button by accident, thought the comment was a joke sincerely when it wasn't, etc.?

I think it's probably better this way. "Awesome" seems to be a sufficient way to convey positive feelings toward a post, without running into that issue.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    My understanding is it was taken away because it was being used to troll people.

Which is a pain in the backside scenario to moderate if reported. Because how do you determine whether someone was actively trying to mock, hit the lol button by accident, thought the comment was a joke sincerely when it wasn't, etc.?

I think it's probably better this way. "Awesome" seems to be a sufficient way to convey positive feelings toward a post, without running into that issue.

Yeah, that makes sense. But I still miss it lol
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    I miss it but it was just a button anyway.

Won't make a come back since it's likely it would be reported for misuse again.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    To be honest, for me, the forums got a whole lot more boring without the buttons to disagree and LOL. Sure some were misusing the buttons but why punish everyone for something a few bad apples should be disciplined for? If someone or several LOL a serious post of mine, I'm just LOLing right along with them because karma can be funny too. :p
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    We lost it because no one could be trusted with it. Silly I know but you know what this place is like
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    It might be better to incorporate agree and disagree buttons instead. lol and dislike always seem nasty comments to me. The former are better for a proper debate.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

This. I miss the LOL button, but back when people were up in arms about Sims 4's lack of features, things got really ugly.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    AeyellaAeyella Posts: 26 Member
    I don't see the point of those buttons.
    The only situation where you don't need to explain yourself is when you agree. (because everything has already been said)
    If you thought what someone said was funny, explain why.
    If you disagree with what someone said, explain why.
    If you can't even bother to explain why you disagree with someone, you probably don't have a good reason for it.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    The disagree button was also removed because people whined about others disliking their posts too. Some people can not differentiate between disagree & dislike.

There were certain people who were absolutely sure that the lol & disagree button was being used to "victimise" them. They made new threads nearly every day, and from what I can gather, spent a lot of time PMing the staff about being stalked and singled out.
    They don't seem to post here any more unless it is under yet another alias, but that question was raised when they were kicking up a fuss about the reaction buttons. There is no real way to tell but in the face of their complaining, the buttons ended up being taken away.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    CxpmemeCxpmeme Posts: 76 Member
    i only want them for more points so i can become a member faster haha
  • Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited June 2017
    Cxpmeme wrote: »
    i only want them for more points so i can become a member faster haha

Consider it done. :)
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Aeyella wrote: »
    I don't see the point of those buttons.
    The only situation where you don't need to explain yourself is when you agree. (because everything has already been said)
    If you thought what someone said was funny, explain why.
    If you disagree with what someone said, explain why.
    If you can't even bother to explain why you disagree with someone, you probably don't have a good reason for it.

To be fair there have been times someone cracked a joke that I laughed at but it really didn't need more explanation and it feels off topic to just say this was funny because of X.

disagreeing yeah it makes sense to probably explain it but then you just get posts saying "I disagree" and little else so really it's the same thing.
    It is unfortunate this was misused I'm someone who quite likes sharing a good laugh with others but ah well that is the nature of life.
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member

Yes, and now the "Insightful" button kind of replaced the "lol" button for mocking someone's post.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Goodywood wrote: »

Yes, and now the "Insightful" button kind of replaced the "lol" button for mocking someone's post.

Really? How can that be insulting though I mean how can you tell you could say any opinion and someone may find it insightful because it shared something new so how is it being used to mock?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

So I knew I wasn't the only one suspecting this. Some of my posts got Insightful reactions when they were nowhere remotely insightful.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, a little less than half of my insightful reactions might be the doing of my trolling girlfriend. :unamused:
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    Vici0us_VirusVici0us_Virus Posts: 3,076 Member
    edited June 2017
    All Buttons can be used as a weapon, all of them can be positive and negative...
    I worked hard to get my (lol's) count/points up, I miss the option to use it aswell...

However I'd prefer No buttons at all, as to the point of THE POINTS system.
    After you make full member, what are points really good for other than making some jelly and others at face value believe.
    This simmer must be smart, look at how many (insightful's) they've been given by thier peers.
    That simmer is the coolest, cuz their the most (Awesome) obviously numbers don lie...
    Wow I should just, hang on every word you write. Everyone else (likes) you, it would be wrong if I did'nt rite?
    Or at the verry least I should'nt challenge your posts/opinions, unless I wanna suffer those that agree with you!

They took our (lol) button away, they took our (agree) and (disagree). they gave us a forum and we've abused eachother...
    If it's funny do ya really need a button, could'nt you just tell the simmer " lol that was funny"?
    Pedestil's, popularity and trolls...
    Happy simming..?
    V_V
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    All Buttons can be used as a weapon, all of them can be positive and negative...
    I worked hard to get my (lol's) count/points up, I miss the option to use it aswell...

However I'd prefer No buttons at all, as to the point of THE POINTS system.
    After you make full member, what are points really good for other than making some jelly and others at face value believe.
    This simmer must be smart, look at how many (insightful's) they've been given by thier peers.
    That simmer is the coolest, cuz their the most (Awesome) obviously numbers don lie...
    Wow I should just, hang on every word you write. Everyone else (likes) you, it would be wrong if I did'nt rite?
    Or at the verry least I should'nt challenge your posts/opinions, unless I wanna suffer those that agree with you!

They took our (lol) button away, they took our (agree) and (disagree). they gave us a forum and we've abused eachother...
    If it's funny do ya really need a button, could'nt you just tell the simmer " lol that was funny"?
    Pedestil's, popularity and trolls...
    Happy simming..?
    V_V

While I don't mind the reaction buttons all that much, I feel it does kind of take away from the potential to have healthy discussions about the game, simmers and their stories about their sims, those kind of things. However, talking might not be everyone's cup of tea, so for that reason I think it's fine to have reactions. This forum community also has a certain level of toxicity that makes the feature somewhat of a bad thing to have around.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    Yeah...
    I kind of miss the agree, disagree, and lol buttons myself too, but I remember some members getting displeased when their posts were disagreed with though.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I honestly agree with you both, and yea I see what your sayn bout (Lurkers)/non socials, and to be fair I was being a bit harsh on this topic.
    In truth I was hoping to illicit an equal or greater counter response to what I wrote, thinking perhaps i've missed a truly adequate reason for buttons other than;
    I'm lazy, i'm shy, I want points...

I just don't believe that we need them, but i'm good either way...
    If you wanna (lol) cuz I shared that my dog just died or I have a heart condition, or slap that (awesome) from the shadows cuz I announced "I'm leaving for good".
    I'm kewl with ppl feeln that way, cuz I took it upon myself to share it.
    If life and the internet has tought me anything, "safe spaces don't egzist".
    And that's ok, mistakes happen and we learn from them...
    Well most of us do. (lol) :D Another way to lol w/o a button or words... :smirk:B)

• Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »

Really? How can that be insulting though I mean how can you tell you could say any opinion and someone may find it insightful because it shared something new so how is it being used to mock?

Not all "Insightfuls" are, but some I can tell is mocking.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

Off-hand, I think it'd be more of a stretch to interpret insightful as trolling. If somebody has a clear demonstration of an example of insightful being used to troll (a "made-up" one, not a link to an actual post, as that'd be accusing someone in particular) I'd be happy to look at it and consider the viewpoint.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ^ Push the insightful button, if you Don't like the post above! ^

@Triplis :smirk: