March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Culling, Relationship Culling & Decay: Current Status

luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,615 Member
edited February 13 in Nominated Threads
Below are information posts about the current status of Sim culling, relationship decay, and relationship culling in The Sims 4. @Neia and I will attempt to keep these up to date as we discover alterations to these systems.

This topic is not an opinion or debate or feedback topic. If you have feedback on these mechanisms, please use the Feedback section of the forums; if you have suggestions on how they could be altered, please use the Ideas Corner. Any opinion or debate or feedback etc. here is off topic, no matter how constructive it is.

Please do feel free to ask questions about how the system works - we'll probably add an FAQ, and flesh out our posts as well over time. We've provided some info on mods for those of you interested in that option. For help using MC Command Center, please head here.

If you'd like to make sure you can find this topic easily, I recommend starring it so you can find it under the site's Bookmarks.

Index
Sim Culling
Relationships Decay
Relationship Culling
Further Details
EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Reserved
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,615 Member
    Reserved
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    Thanks for taking the time to put all of this together, (Even though I think relationship decay/culling is absolutely pathetic) a post like this is appreciated!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,479 Member
    Thankyou very much for creating this very informative and helpful thread! It will be very helpful for many simmers. Thankyou :)
  • DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    @luthienrising and @Neia Thank you for taking the time to post this information. Very well presented.

This is important information to have, imho. It will help me as a rotational player better understand how I want to use "manage households", as well as understand better what to expect in my played households. I'm playing mod/cc free and trying to work within game parameters for culling and decay. Definitely hit and miss on my part without having known for sure what those parameters are with each update. Having one thread to follow is most appreciated!
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Thanks for doing this. It sure will come handy and it'll help players to better understand culling.
    I'll be checking for updates on the culling situation here from now on.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Thanks both @luthienrising and @Neia for this thread. Bookmarked for future reference and developments.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    This is awesome! Thank you Luthien and Neia for compiling this.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,633 Member
    Great post. One of the reasons I've avoided rotational play is a lack of understanding of culling. This really helps. Gonna re-read later. Thanks to both of you. :)
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    This is a really handy thread, thanks for creating it. I'm currently happy playing rotationally without mods, hoping to keep it that way.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Awesome post thanks a ton! <3:)
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Thanks for this! I have a couple questions.

@Neia - Is 'Romantic Interest' protected? Before I started playing with mods, I had a Sim forget someone who was his romantic interest, but I'm not sure if that's changed.

@luthienrising - About relationship culling, you say "It affects relationships between unplayed Sims, and it affects non-active played Sims that have over 35 relationships. Your currently active household is protected." Is it new that the current active household is protected? Before I started using mods, I had relationships in the active household get cut all the time, but that was a little while ago now.

This might be a lot of extra work, but would you consider adding to your master posts the most recent Guru statements about these mechanics? It might be a helpful resource for people who are trying to figure out how well (or not) the team has been communicating about these issues. However, even if you don't want to go through the extra work of doing that, this is a great resource for players that I really appreciate you taking the time to put together.
    @Terra I believe it was a bug that active-household relationships were culled. I haven't seen a report of it since the last patch.

Most of what we know here actually doesn't come from SimGuru statements - it's from @Neia poking in files and answering my and others' questions :) When I get a chance, I'll do some hunting down, though, because I do believe there are some statements about purpose and the like, especially if they're checking into possible bugs. It might take me a bit to get around to that. New CPU = must play things :D
    @Terra I believe it was a bug that active-household relationships were culled. I haven't seen a report of it since the last patch.

Most of what we know here actually doesn't come from SimGuru statements - it's from @Neia poking in files and answering my and others' questions :) When I get a chance, I'll do some hunting down, though, because I do believe there are some statements about purpose and the like, especially if they're checking into possible bugs. It might take me a bit to get around to that. New CPU = must play things :D

Yeah, I was thinking most of it came from Neia so I thought some people might find it interesting or helpful to see how much has been deduced by players and how much has been flat out said by Gurus. But it's not imperative - playing comes first, especially if you have a new computer! :smiley:
    @Terra
    I just checked and no, "Romantic Interest" isn't protected apparently :)
    Neia wrote: »
    @Terra
    I just checked and no, "Romantic Interest" isn't protected apparently :)

Thanks for checking!
    I've spotted one change to culling so far : they have upped the cap once more, by 20, so it's around 305 now.
    I've spotted one change to culling so far : they have upped the cap once more, by 20, so it's around 305 now.

Sweet! Updating above :)

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,479 Member

Thankyou for letting us know Neia :)
  • rialrial Posts: 32 Member
    Thank you
  • imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    Thanks for putting this together. Recently I noticed that some of my sims have negative relationships with other sims. And I never introduced them to each other. Is this adding negative relationships new? Or an anti-culling, story progression feature? Or is it just my game? (I do play with mods)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top