Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2's future as of September 2016

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
edited October 2016 in The Sims 2
I had in the past asked if The Sims 2 will be re-released but it seems like it's not happening. We're reaching into September 2016 and still as of that date, still no news of The Sims 2's or The Sims Stories' reappearance on Origin. It makes me think that EA won't intend to re-release The Sims and/or The Sims 2/The Sims Stories. SimCity 4 is sold on Origin (and also GOG and Steam) and more recently SimCity 3000 was released on GOG so why can't EA do the same for TS2?

You could purchase and get a download version of The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories before July 2013 and late 2012 respectively. After that date, you can't purchase The Sims 2 or The Sims Stories. Also Origin can't activate any Sims 2 codes, only The Sims 3, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 4 codes are accepted for activation.

It's possible to obtain The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection although Electronic Arts and the SimGurus hasn't stated if people are supposed to get The Sims 2 UC after July 31, 2014 through contacting EA. However, this is the only way to get the download version of The Sims 2 on Windows.

The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories have been re-released on OS X but I would doubt any Windows user would bother buying a Mac just to play The Sims 2 or The Sims Stories. These games only being re-released only on Mac makes this really aggravating since most Simmers are Windows users and it's highly likely many them don't even own a Mac. This isn't helped that only 3.37% use OS X compared to 95.70% using Windows according to Steam's Hardware Survey as of July 2016.

It's still possible to obtain DVD versions of The Sims Stories but you'll probably have to buy them used especially Castaway Stories. The main problem of buying a game used is they sometimes don't include the manual or code to allow you to install the game. If your copy doesn't include the manual, your game is useless (as you can't get through the product code dialog) so unless you have another DVD copy of The Sims Life/Pet/Castaway Stories (Windows/PC) with a usable code, you might as well contact the seller for a refund (if that works). If you bought The Sims Stories on Origin/EA Store before late 2012, you can also use the code from your Origin copy of TS2/TSS but you can't download the game from Origin. I had this problem when I purchased The Sims Complete Collection used from Amazon, the game didn't have a manual when I received it (it was listed as Like New) so I wasn't able to get past the product key screen since I didn't have the code.

Amazon's main product page might say the game isn't in stock or there are few in stock, don't worry; just buy them from the sellers such as in the links. Be sure to select the links that correspond to your country. Please note that the prices and listings may change.

Amazon prices as of July 29, 2016
The Sims Life Stories (US): $28.30 New or $1.98 Used
The Sims Pet Stories (US): $27.71 New or $6.34 Used
The Sims Castaway Stories (US): $72.60 New or $15.03 Used

The Sims Life Stories (UK): £17.98 New or £3.97 Used
The Sims Pet Stories (UK): £19.95 New or £1.25 Used
The Sims Castaway Stories (UK): £24.99 New or £14.91 Used
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by WinMacSims3 on

Comments

• Options
    Christy_TheSimmer101Christy_TheSimmer101 Posts: 7 New Member
    I can't believe how expensive Sims 2 is on amazon. Back in 2010, I got apartment life for £5 and now it is £29
    :scream:
  • Options
    Christy_TheSimmer101 The Windows version of The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories games are more expensive than those on the Mac, there may two reasons. One is that EA no longer sells The Sims 2 (download) games on Origin as of July 2013 and they have discontinued the CD/DVD copies so new copies aren't being produced. The second reason is since many people want the Windows/PC versions considering that EA (as of June 2016) hasn't re-released The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories while The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories have been re-released on the Mac App Store, almost everyone will want the Windows version of TS2.

You could purchase them used if you want them cheaper although you need to be careful as used copies may not include the manual or code. If the copy doesn't have a manual, you will not be able to install the game.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited June 2016
    I've been slowly piecing the game together via used copies on Amazon when I have a bit of extra money to do so. I still need three EPs (Apartment Life, Bon Voyage & Open for Business) and a handful of the Stuff Packs to complete my collection. I haven't run into any problems with getting anything to work on my Win 7 computer and it runs beautifully even with a bunch of CC added in as well.

My advice if you're planning on picking up the disks is that the Collections are your friends. You get more bang for your buck that way. I started off with the Freetime Limited Collection which was Sims Deluxe (Base plus Late Night) and Freetime and have recently picked up the University and Pets collections that bundle them with two stuff packs each and will look into getting OfB and AL that way too (not sure if BV has a collection one available or not but the other two do).

Most of the sellers on Amazon will say if they include the booklet or not but don't be afraid to ask the seller questions if you're not sure.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    this weekend I bought the base game, freetime, apartment life, nightlife, pets, seasons, university, IKEA, h and m, and teen living. I am super excited. I was about 5 when the game first came out and 8 when it ended so my parents never let me play it. But I loved Sims 3 when I was finally able to play (about 2 years later). After I will probably pick up a copy of sims2 because I have decided to give it another shot.
  • Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @fionaloveserrano
    I hope you really enjoy Sims2 - there is so much to the game! :)
    For you, it may take a bit of adjustment to playing Sims3; real shopping, dates and holidays! :)
  • Options
    Username_McUserface1Username_McUserface1 Posts: 11 New Member
    It's still the only sims game I play, even though I do feel sort of outdated when I play it, even though my parents only let me start playing it when I was sixteen (2014) and I had just started first grade when it came out first and never heard about it until 2011. I tried to play the Sims 3, but I HATE the genetics and Sims 4 is really expensive. Also, 3 and 4 just don't feel.... simmy enough, if that makes any sense. I nearly bought a copy of University yesterday at a second hand store, but the manual was missing and the disk was cracked.
    As cheesy and bad as the graphics seems in the sims 2, it's just so easy to customize that I've been able to create my own storyines, worlds, cultures, religions, all within the realm of the game. As old as the game is getting, it's still my favorite, even though there's a voice in my head that's telling me to move on. :(
  • Options
    Still 3 years later after The Sims 2 was pulled from Origin and there hasn't been any news regarding if the The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims Stories will be re-released on Windows. I mean, EA re-released SimCity 3000 on GOG.com so why can EA do the same with The Sims and The Sims Stories. Sure EA has to remove the SecuROM from The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories as well as SafeDisc in The Sims, the games also have to be modified to not require a disc in the drive.

I really wonder what's holding them back of re-releasing The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims 3. We have The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 but we want TS1-TS2.

"Come on EA! Give us The Sims 2 on PC!"
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Wow, I'm glad I was offered the Sims2: Ultimate Collection and downloaded it immediately. I had a hankering to play it again, especially since Sims3 had grown stale for me, and it was mentioned we would have loading screens again, too. I have everything for Sims2 on DISK. But my little grandson managed to mangle the base game disk. Since the game was not installed anymore I was hosed. The only thing I ever purchased online for that game was the holiday pack. Being impatient, I went ahead and bought it through EA as a download. That was a saving grace for me. I qualified to have Sims2:UC . Best gift I ever gave myself. Now, if I can only remember how to garden …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Username_McUserface1Username_McUserface1 Posts: 11 New Member
    I only played Sims 3 for a while, but it was too slow for my poor machine, so I stick with Sims 2. I feel bad that it's slowly fading away, but maybe if Sims 5 is good (You know, with actual family building, genetics, customizable neighborhoods, and a nice lack of the weird 'young-adult-party-life that the Sims 4 seems to project) I'll play that.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Still 3 years later after The Sims 2 was pulled from Origin and there hasn't been any news regarding if the The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims Stories will be re-released on Windows. I mean, EA re-released SimCity 3000 on GOG.com so why can EA do the same with The Sims and The Sims Stories. Sure EA has to remove the SecuROM from The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories as well as SafeDisc in The Sims, the games also have to be modified to not require a disc in the drive.

I really wonder what's holding them back of re-releasing The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims 3. We have The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 but we want TS1-TS2.

"Come on EA! Give us The Sims 2 on PC!"

And removing the DRM can't be that much of a hassle for EA. I mean, random folks have already found out how to get Recurom off of The Sims 2. I've used that procedure myself, and now my game runs pretty much lag-free on my computer (which is a Toshiba Satellite C55D-A laptop). Plus, they got TS2:UC to work without a disk, so it can't be that hard to modify the remaining games for digital release. I think that all that's holding them back is a lack of will.
    I feel bad that it's slowly fading away, but maybe if Sims 5 is good (You know, with actual family building, genetics, customizable neighborhoods, and a nice lack of the weird 'young-adult-party-life that the Sims 4 seems to project) I'll play that.

I actually don't mind if TS5 keeps the party stuff, so long as they also round the game out with the other aspects of the game being just as well-developed. Just imagine if TS4 had just as much for family play, world-building, deviant play, and so forth as it does for partying and had a more balanced emotion system. It's not that one aspect of TS4 is overdeveloped, it's that so many others are underdeveloped.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    It is so sad that EA doesn't release sims 2 or 1 on origin or GOG. A lot of people love you Hesse games and EA could get mon y off them. Sims 2 UC actually works really well on modern computers so not much optimization is needed. They added old sim cities to origin as others have mentioned, and I don't see any legal reason stopping them from release.
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Options
    lisamtownlisamtown Posts: 206 Member
    To who ever will listen... Please let this happen!!!!! :wink:
    graphics-wallet-540882.gif
  • Options
    SjappielovePaulSjappielovePaul Posts: 4,794 Member
    I recently contacted EA because I never got the UC copy on origin but I do have the full Sims 2 set (and 1, stories, 3 and medieval for that matter lol)

So I called and asked if I could get a UC code. They said they weren't sure if they could help me because the lower ranked can't do it. Also they have a limited amount of keys left for UC and aren't going to make any new ones. The dude wasn't sure if they even had any left. So after telling me chances were slim he said I could send them pictures of my discs and the keys of the discs and if they still had a key left for the UC I might get one. Officially they even wanted receipts of when I bought the game!

Offcourse I didn't have those anymore, and luckily I got my key after taking pictures of all those discs and also resizing them because EA offcourse has limited upload space.

If I were a technofobe I wouldn't have gotten my key lol.

Point is though! They really come of discouraging (not the dude on the phone, he was very nice luckily :) ) so I don't think they will do anything with Sims 2 anymore :/
    Don't forget to take care of yourself every now and then in this big chaotic world!
    pkJ66Kv.png
    Some links that helped me a lot:
    Missing Store Stencils / Free Kiddy Stuff / Daily Deals / Daily Deals Spreadsheets / The Gifting Directory
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited September 2016
    I think there is no gain to get Life Stories and Pet Stories.

Amazon FR

(PC)
    Life Stories 29.99€ New or 8.49€ Used
    Pet Stories 6.21€ New or 7€ Used
    Castaway Stories 40€ New or 11.23€ Used

Stories Collection 92€ New or 12€ Used
  • Options
    marx13marx13 Posts: 48 Member
    I think perhaps they want to focus on The Sims 4 at the moment. Just take a look at the forums, there's a lot of drama surrounding the game in itself, a lot of people are dissatisfied, it's really split the fandom in two - I've never seen that before with a release, it's always been relatively unanimous. So... it's probably EA/Maxis' number one priority right now. TS2 is completely out of the question right now.

But I would love them to also rerelease TS1 on Origin. Steam releases plenty of old game (hint hint origin take notes from your competition)! It's a shame. I only play the first two sims games, the last two I don't like that much, I don't know if I'm being annoyingly nostalgic but it's just how I feel.
  • Options
    @SimsLovinLycan I'm sure EA has modified the download versions to work without a disc and I'm pretty sure removing SafeDisc or SecuROM shouldn't be hard since EA has removed SecuROM on some of their games including The Sims 3, Dead Space, and Mass Effect. I've also seen games on GOG.com that removed the DRM such as Dead Space. The only downside of removing SecuROM on Origin is that The Sims 2 will likely include the "Origin sign-in" requirement like The Sims 3 1.69, The Sims Medieval, and The Sims 4 do. While people are probably happy about the SecuROM activation limits being removed, they are not happy about having to sign-in to Origin to play TS3 especially if you also played The Sims 4 where people had to deal with signing in to Origin.

@peterskywalker @marx13 It would be nice to see The Sims and The Sims 2 re-released especially since The Sims games include SafeDisc which has problems on Windows 10 and systems with KB3086255. Making this worse is that newer computers these days have Windows 10 so running The Sims and other SafeDisc games will likely be impossible unless if you can find an older PC that doesn't include Windows 10 but you have to make sure you remove KB3086255 so the game will work. This reminds me of the same fiasco that Windows gamers had with Games for Windows LIVE titles when computers started including Windows 8. Games that required GFWL such as Fallout 3, BioShock 2, Dead Rising 2/Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, Resident Evil 5, Batman: Arkham City, Grand Theft Auto IV, and Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City had problems on Windows 8 but this has gotten fixed when the games had switched to Steam although some such as Fallout 3 hasn't switched to Steam.

Another problem with The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims Stories especially is finding a used game that isn't missing the manual, key, and/or one or more discs. Often on eBay, I found some listings that is missing one of the discs and on both Amazon and eBay, it's possible to get games without a manual or code (this happened to me with The Sims Complete Collection). Without the discs and the manual/code, it's impossible to install the game.

The Sims community has been divided since The Sims 4 came out between players who like The Sims 4 and those who disappointed with/dislike TS4 mainly due to TS4 removing content that TS3 had such as Open World, Pools, Toddlers, and the OS X/macOS version. It was made worse when EA released the game 6 months after FreePlay's controversial Life Dreams update where Simmers would probably still be mad at EA, the controversies that Mass Effect 3 and SimCity suffered also didn't help.

The Sims 3 also suffered from the same problem when it came out on PC/Mac back in June 2, 2009. When the game came out, many Sims 2 fans hated The Sims 3 and even some today still dislike the game although the game probably started to got liked as we progressed to 2014. However, the game suffered from glitches that were not fixed, performance problems especially on OS X/macOS, the inability to play the game on newer Macs due to the Intel Iris Graphics, and November 12, 2015 dividing TS3 Simmers between 1.67 and 1.69 with the latter version including Origin Sign-in and the inability to bypass the Launcher. It would be nice to see TS3's issues fixed, I know the team that worked on TS3 has moved on to TS4 or other games but it's still possible to fix existing bugs by making some modifications. For example, BluebellFlora has information on how to make TS3 work on Macs newer graphics (such as Intel Iris), Mod the Sims has some mods that fix some issues such as the Advanced Skill Opportunities as well as Berate Ignorance, and there are some fixed Worlds. If players can modify the game to fix bugs then why can't EA do the same?

Simmers are also divided between The Sims 3/The Sims 4 and The Sims FreePlay especially since the latter is not released on Windows or Mac and the fact that the game is in real time, requires Internet to play, and being Freemium vs TS3/TS4 being paid. FreePlay itself is often subject to debates such as the aging and VIP. The VIP system is divided by Simmers who think the perks are worth spending money on vs those who think it's a waste of money especially given that Free to Play games have been shut down in the past meaning money is wasted. VIP requiring real money to be spent isn't helped that The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 include DLC purchases requiring spending real money (EPs/SPs/Worlds and Store for the former, EPs/SPs/GPs for the latter) with The Sims 3 (Starter Pack and EPs/SPs only) and The Sims 4 costing $340 and $300/$310 respectively. As mentioned on this thread, most Simmers suggest against spending money for VIP and say it would be better to invest in TS3 or TS4 despite problems with Origin.
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited October 2016
    Now you don't have the choices, you want the sims 2 you have to pay on internet or getting it elsewhere , it's quite difficult to get the game legally currently , I found the game on second-hand websites. I hate how EA treats their constumers, it's shameful we have to beg for getting the UC when the chat never works and when EA people away from the US doesn't want to give it . The sims 2 is a still popular game, Origin is a safe place to buy it. Why don't they let us playing old game?
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Now you don't have the choices, you want the sims 2 you have to pay on internet or getting it elsewhere , it's quite difficult to get the game legally currently , I found the game on second-hand websites. I hate how EA treats their constumers, it's shameful we have to beg for getting the UC when the chat never works and when EA people away from the US doesn't want to give it . The sims 2 is a still popular game, Origin is a safe place to buy it. Why don't they let us playing old game?

If you have a hard time getting chat to work, try another browser. I heard some do not connect to chat well at all.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I hear Adblock will stop the chat. I had success from the call back option. :)
  • Options
    SunsetSimsPrimeSunsetSimsPrime Posts: 77 Member
    I was lucky I completed my S2 & S3 games at a toy shop that was having a going out of business sale (not so lucky for them). Try bargain bins & 2nd hand type stores maybe you'll find something there. Just remember to check how scratched the disks are if you find anything 2nd hand.
  • Options
    AlorxicoAlorxico Posts: 360 Member
    I have all the Sims 2 disks, but when I tried to install them on my computer the games would accept the "registration codes" nor would they let me skip trying to enter them. When I finally got the base game installed, Windows blocked and delete the game from my hard drive stating that it was a virus. I contacted EA Help Desk about it and they immediately gave me the Ultimate Collection. I was so happy and I've had a blast with it ... until recently.

As of the beginning of the month, Origin will not allow me to launch Sims 2 Ultimate Collection OR Sims 3 from Origin. I've been struggling for weeks to get both games up and running and nothing! I am getting VERY frustrated.
  • Options
    cityboundcitybound Posts: 61 Member
    I missed out on the TS2:UC but hopefully they'll re-release it again. I have most of the EPs and SPs but I'm still missing a few. I wanna download lots but it sucks when you're still missing a few EPs for it.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    @Alorxico You can run the game from a desktop shortcut. Just go to (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Origin Games > The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection > Fun With Pets > SP9 > TSBin. Then, right click on the icon labled Sims2EP9 and choose to create a desktop shortcut. The file path might be slightly different if you're running the game on Windows 7 or earlier or you have the game installed on a different drive than the (C:) drive, but you can always do a search on your computer for the Origin Games folder and you'll find it just the same.

Once you have the desktop shortcut, you won't even need to have Origin active to launch the game. Just double click the icon and you're good to go. ^_^
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    SimChickeeSimChickee Posts: 402 Member
    There is ways around everything.
  • Options
    CreosoteCreosote Posts: 17 Member
    @WinMacSims3

okay I know you mean well, but you don't need it to install sims 2 games, when I lost my age of mythology manual in a move I didn't rebuy it I just googled age of mythology cd key. A lot of people who have bought the games already just share the codes since they're registered to their own accounts and can't be reused so people who buy a game second hand, or loose the serials can still install them. You can't redeem the codes but they're there. It works for installing but not registration. Which..is frankly pointless. I only got a new age of mythology serial when I rebought it for my birthday this year, the expansion pack and base game were bundled together cheaper then the expansion by its self so I got both for like 10 bucks.