Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should you spend money on TS4's DLC or FreePlay's VIP?

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
edited September 2016 in The Sims 4 General Discussion
Edit: TS4 as of September 2016 has 14 DLC purchases. Keep in mind that this thread was started in March 20, 2016 so prices and the number of TS4's DLC purchases will be different if you're reading this a couple months/years in the future.

This is a question I wanted to ask you. There are currently three games with DLC which are The Sims 3, The Sims 4, and The Sims FreePlay.

As of September 15, 2016, The Sims 4 has 14 DLC purchases (3 EPs, 8 SPs, and 3 GPs) as well as a Holiday pack. DLCs can be $10 to $40 depending if it's a Stuff Pack, Game Pack, or Expansion Pack. The Sims 3 has 11 EPs, 9 SPs (although one, Katy Perry's Sweet Treats, is delisted), 11 Worlds, and tons of DLC in the The Sims 3 Store.

The Sims FreePlay has VIP which is earned by spending real money, it has 15 VIP levels requiring 12,000 points to max out VIP. VIP gives you perks such as Rainbow Cake Slices and Time Extension Tokens. The highest VIP points that can be earned through a single purchase is 500 costing $100 to get the most expensive Simoleon pack (varies by level), 3,500 LP or 2,000 SP. You would have to purchase the $100 currency pack 24 times to get VIP 15 meaning that FreePlay can cost $2400 to get VIP 15 compared to TS3 and TS4 which cost $340 and $300-$310 respectively to get all EPs/SPs/GPs in addition to the base game.

However, I still question if VIP is a waste of money especially since The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 have DLC that is probably worth spending money on. TS3 mostly has DLC from the Store (mainly the Premium Content and 10 Worlds that cost money) while The Sims 4 tends to release new DLC (particularly the Stuff Packs) costing $10-$40 adding up with the $40-$50 price of the base game.

Is it worth spending money on FreePlay to get VIP points or would you rather spend money to get DLC for The Sims 3 and/or The Sims 4 (or other games)?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by WinMacSims3 on

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    Are you trying to decide which to spend money on?
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I've pretty much already bought what I want for TS3. I am missing a few stuff packs but since I refuse to update at this time there is no point in buying them. I have all I want from the store, and points left over, not from buying them all but from having gone on ad-watching sprees where I could easily earn 1000 points in a sitting. I get bored easily and even with a dozen tabs open and simultaneously running ads, I got bored pretty quickly. Still managed to rack up a significant amount of points over time. So now I have all of the worlds and even gifted a few of them, what I don't already have from the store are things I didn't want anyway.
    It's been a long time since I put any actual money toward TS3, I'd say it was when I got ITF for $7.99. So with a pocket full of simpoints and nothing left for me to buy, that takes TS3 out of the equation.

TS4, while having some great features, just isn't going to go in a direction I like so I quit funding that after the purchase of the base game. I will not be spending money on that game so that one is out of the running for me. More stuff isn't going to make it a game for me, just a game not for me with more stuff.

That leaves FreePlay. I don't play FP as a traditional sims game, if I did, I would find a lot of disappointment. It's a little app thing meant to occupy a few minutes here or there waiting for something else, like the spin cycle to finish to put clothes in the dryer or for dinner to finish up to feed the family, or a few minutes before bed because there isn't a movie I have enough time to sit through. It's just a fun little side game. In the start, I did spend some real cash on it but I haven't in a while now and don't plan on it any time soon. It might be slow going, but I am in no rush so I guess it is what it is.

But given the options of TS3, TS4 or FP, my money would go toward FP these days.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I would never spend money on Freeplay because it is not my cup of tea. I do not generally spend money on any mobile games, unless I think it is a fantastic game and then I will make a one-off purchase just to show a little support for the developer.

I bought a LOT of DLC for TS3, I was well and truly hooked. Looking back now, I regret many of the purchases - a lot of them sit on my computer unused - but until you buy something and try it for yourself you just don't know if you will feel that it was a 'good buy' or whether you will like it enough to use it.

For TS4, I haven't bought some of the packs they've released as I've thought they were not good value for money or were not to my taste. But I've generally been happy with the packs I have bought and I think it's probably a better way to purchase items than the store was. Sometimes my stuff from the store feels overwhelming when I try and sort through it and am deciding what I want in my game and what I don't want, and then there is always the risk that a previous save will need something I no longer have installed.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    TS4s DLC.
  • Options
    Are you trying to decide which to spend money on?

I was asking if The Sims 3 or The Sims 4 is better spending money on seeing as they have one-time purchases whereas FreePlay's purchases (the currency packs, Toddler, Pre-Teen, and Teen pack) usually aren't one time purchases. Plus FreePlay has VIP which requires spending real money and that's something to consider if you own The Sims 3 and/or The Sims 4 since both have DLCs.

I would rather spend money on The Sims 3's Store items, any DLC for The Sims 4 or any game with one-time purchases.
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    I would never spend that much on Sims Freeplay, however I would do so for Sims 4, since it's something I play with almost daily. I like mobile games, but not enough to spend so much money on something I easily delete in a week or so.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    I don't see Freeplay as the same as I see The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 (or even Sims 1 or Sims 2)... to me it plays different. It's much more waiting than playing and it's not for me. So yeah, my answer is obvious.... rather spend DLC for the real game versus a mobile version.
    I was going to say the mobile version is a money racket . . . but lets be real so is TS3 / TS4 haha

Does anyone play Freeplay on the regular? I'm genuinely curious to see their opinions.
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    It kind of sounds silly with you asking! I was unaware of this VIP program on FreePlay. I much rather pay for actual content that can be modded and allow freedom of play than paying for basically nothing, that would allow me to circumvent a system put in place to hinder you to play a game. I really don't think It's OK to pay that much on a free to play game just to not wait when doing actions. I understand some players can't play The Sims on a pc, but for those that can, I advise them to not fall for this EA cash grab and play the real deal.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I think it's only worth it if you want what that DLC has to offer.

Personally, I'd rather have DLC (optional) rather than paying a subscription (not optional) to play a game I enjoyed.

Having said that. FP isn't for me. I don't own a single free game that has additionally priced content because it's just not something I'm into. I prefer to pay for my games upright. I admit I did try FP though. I played it for about 15 minutes and grew too bored too quickly and removed it from my device.

On the other hand, I don't mind buying an Expansion or Stuff Pack if I feel it will add value to my gaming enjoyment. I even bought some store content for S3 when I was trying it out. Since those were my choices and it wasn't a requirement to purchase them, I can't really say I have any hard feelings toward that type of system.

To be clear though: I do not condone DLC if/when it becomes an excuse to strip a game down in order to sell it back to the customer piecemeal.

I only accept this method when it is presented as a way to offer 'additional' content meant to enhance or further open up what should be a fully fleshed out idea to begin with.

In other words:
    • If I enjoy something and feel it has everything to offer to begin with, I will continue to spend for it every time it comes up with a new way to play or add to what is already great. I'll dump my wallet on the table and let them count the change.
    • If I do not enjoy something and feel it does not have anything to offer unless I spend more for it, I will not continue to spend for it.

This is the difference to me. Having my game held at ransom, or simply offering me extras is what helps me decide whether DLC is worth it or not.

In the end, I am neither for nor against it. It's here to stay, but companies really should pay mind to their chosen method of ransom vs enhancement if they want me to invest.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Xoxk9 wrote: »
    I don't see Freeplay as the same as I see The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 (or even Sims 1 or Sims 2)... to me it plays different. It's much more waiting than playing and it's not for me. So yeah, my answer is obvious.... rather spend DLC for the real game versus a mobile version.

Does anyone play Freeplay on the regular? I'm genuinely curious to see their opinions.

Here are my thoughts on FreePlay:
    FreePlay is a good and interesting Sims game that plays differently from the main game, it is different as it runs in real time (like Sims 2 DS). It has some features from the Mac/PC games, quests, and has a level system with the highest level being 55.

My biggest gripe with FreePlay is how the game can trick you into spending real money. If you don't have enough Simoleons, Lifestyle Points, or Social Points to purchase an item, build, or to pay for action, the game asks you to purchase a currency pack. First time players and especially children can easily fall for this trap, it doesn't help that most devices have in-app purchases enabled by default. In The Sims 4 and other games, if you don't have enough Simoleons, the game won't let you purchase the object. The same happens with the Aspiration Rewards in TS2, Lifetime Rewards in TS3, and the Reward Traits and Club Perks in TS4, you can't purchase it if you don't have enough of the game's respective points. Also the daily rewards suggest a purchase advertising the VIP system.

Another issue is the time limits. Many quests/events and some hobbies have a time limit that rewards you a prize if you complete it under the time limit but if you don't complete the quest under the time limit, you won't get the prize and you only have one chance. The link in this paragraph fully explains the problems. The items aren't needed but I don't think there's another chance to obtain it.
  • Options
    simlishtrsimlishtr Posts: 1,405 Member
    what happen if Freeplay shutdown? :tongue:
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I own the complete sets of Sims 1, Sims 2, Sims 3, and am up-to-date on Sims 4. My money will not be going towards a mobile game.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I don't like mobile games, so I would forget spending that kind of money on SF. Everyone is different though and has their favorite Sims that they would throw money at, so throw it at the one you get the most enjoyment from!

I would go to the S3 forum, scroll down and click on Sims3 store, click on Gift Gathering and/or General Discussion and join Lotto's, join in on the Gifting Directory.....lots of good people there that will help you get items for Sims3, help you understand how to cascade items and get the best deals and that saves you money. You can watch ads also. So you don't have to spend a dime of your money on Sims3.

I guess that leaves Sims4. If you like the game, throw your money there.

It doesn't matter what anyone suggests, you will end up doing what you really want to anyway. Use your money on whatever makes "you" happy <3
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited March 2016
    I haven't played The Sims Freeplay but assuming it is like a lot of other mobile games out there I would probably say TS4 (or any other of main PC Sims titles).

I just don't see a great deal of longevity or real depth in these online FreeToPlay mobile games and I struggle to really see the point of spending money on them because regardless of how much you spend you're always going to hit another paywall. If it were me? I wouldn't sink my money into what is a literal bottomless pit. TS1, TS2 and TS3 don't have new content released for them anymore so the money you're spending there is a finite amount, TS4 will end at some point and then that will also not need to have any more money spent on it.

On top of that, you'd be getting fantastic, in-depth games that you could play for countless years long after the games themselves have been replaced by sequels / the franchise has been put out to pasture but I can't say the same for a mobile game. I still have games on my shelf from the 90s and in some cases the developers for those games have long ceased to exist, but I can still play those games. Once a mobile game has been shut down it's gone forever so you'll spend all that money and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Mobile games are fun little time-wasters and all but they are very fickle and if you're thinking of investing big money I would say don't (especially if it's just going to get you imaginary "points" and a couple of items - sounds like a huge waste to me) and suggest you use that money to buy yourself a new computer / console and buy some games that'll be with you for ages.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    real time is not the core difference but character

TSFP is an avatar game similiar to all other genres of games including RPGs
    the original idea of TheSims contained character, character of sims was one of the main features & a driving motor of this franchise

i personally am bored to death by characterless puppets, that's why i've never spent a cent on TSFP :tongue:

TSFP - characterless avatar game
    TS4 - all sims are the same cause emotional moods rule
    TS3 - at least a ton of mildly interesting traits included
    TS2 - a character system

if all of those games would be developed further equally i would buy new stuff for TS2 :relieved:

TSFP is designed to make the players spend money or wait forever
    i didn't play TSFP long enough to know but i know that there are games where at some point you are not able to advance if you don't spend real money
    i prefer to play games which don't push me to buy, i spend even quite a lot of money with such games, mobile games too
    i prefer games which i can easily play with lots of fun without ever purchasing anything in real money, i spend money on exactly those games
    they get my money because i like the games, because i want to support the producing company & not because they ask me to buy
    so if they limit my gaming fun io to make me spend money they only make sure that i delete that game, i did already with several :lol:

if you enjoy TSFP & if you are willing to spend money with it, then set yourself a money limit per month & stick to it
    don't let the game tell you how much you have to spend but enjoy what you get for your money :smile:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    my opinion on the sims4 dlc those should be fully free and not cost $$$ in other word the sims4 dlc sould cost 0$
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I don't like free-to-play apps as those have shallow microtransactions and they would purposely create the timing of events in those free-to-play apps to try to get you impatient enough to feel tempted to buy the microtransaction in order to speed events up. I really dislike that.

However, Freeplay does have a bit of stuff that ts4 doesn't have (at the moment), like toddlers.

I wonder if this is because the devs of that free play game had money from all of those transactions, so they would have enough money to create toddlers?

Anyway, I would rather buy one-time dlc.

(The only thing that really tempts me for Freeplay is the toddler stuff. I love toddlers that much.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    Bad idea to put money on a mobile game. Once they pull it the game and all monies you spent are gone. :|
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Bad idea to put money on a mobile game. Once they pull it the game and all monies you spent are gone. :|

I would agree. People would never think to spend real money on currency packs to earn VIP perks. Especially since you have the Windows and Mac games (mainly TS3 and TS4) I think it's better to spend money on either game than on FreePlay due to the former with TS3 Store and the latter for the DLC that's coming out especially if it's a Game Pack or Expansion Pack.

If it wasn't for TS3 and TS4, it would be worth spending money to get VIP. It also doesn't help that FreePlay's VIP 15 is 7 times more expensive than buying TS3 Starter Pack plus every EP/SP, or 14 times more expensive than buying (as of April 1, 2016) TS4 plus every DLC.

I also agree with @bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 about one-time DLC. Every DLC from TS3 and TS4 are one time DLC whereas FreePlay doesn't have much.

The Sims FreePlay has been alive for 4 years so I'm not sure if the game would be discontinued, even the game survived the controversial Life Dreams Update in March 2014. TS3 would be a concern because if EA decides to shutdown TS3's website and Store, what would happen to the DLC and items exclusive to the site? TS2 had items (including the CD/DVD patches) exclusive to the website lost forever since EA closed The Sims 2's website.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2016
    It's real simple, if you think Sims Free Play has more content you would like rather than TS4 and you like the leveling rpgness of SFP then spend your money there. I mean who can deny those toddlers and their content aren't some of the best in the name of Sims? Because they are. If you don't like playing that sort of game you might be better off investing in TS3's content because you know the patches are done, you can avoid patches in that game (if you don't let Origin's new update happen for TS3) and have many, many more things to do with the game being finished and know what you are getting. TS4's 'potential' might not be worth it in the end when you know exactly what you are getting in TS3. It's all been reviewed, discussed and played. And it has much more gameplay to offer. Your investment is this, do you believe this game will be worth that money if five years from now? Or do you think it will lose it's attraction for you in ten years. TS2's content was worth every penny, and most of TS3's if you have a machine to run it well. But you gamble on SFP and TS4 because they may end tomorrow.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Personally, I just think it's a better investment to buy add-ons for a stand-alone, offline game than to make purchases for an online game in the long run. Whether it's TS3 or TS4, once you buy that content, it's yours and only the loss of your back-ups/disks could ever take it away from you (and even then, if the game was popular enough, some people might still offer some of the patches or content for free download or be selling the disks secondhand online somewhere). With an online game, however, should the company running the game ever go out of business, all of your progress and purchases will go poof along with the cloud.

For instance, one virtual pet site that I enjoyed frequenting (NeuroGalaxy, for anyone who may also be mourning the loss) shut down a while back. It was a shame, because it was the only virtual pet site that I'd ever been on which fully integrated the pets, combat system, maps, and human avatars into a cohesive whole and its combat system was by far the best I'd ever seen in the genre. I never spent a dime on the game, but others had over the years buying monthly perks and cash shop items. For me, the loss of the gameplay and friendly atmosphere of the site's community alone was a heartbreaker...but just imagine all of the people who had spent tens or hundreds of dollars over the years on cash shop purchases to enhance their experience and support the site? They must feel it even more than I did...and I was hurt to my soul.

So, I'd rather spend my money on TS4 DLC than a free-to-play game which may shut down at any time. In fact, by a stroke of luck, I was finally able to get my first game pack this weekend (Outdoor Retreat)! To me, it's just a better long-term entertainment investment...especially if you enjoy the game.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    I would agree with @SimsLovinLycan about the shut down of Free to Play games. I've seen (including but not limited to) games like Bullet Run, The Sims Social, SimCity Social, Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield Play4Free, Need for Speed World, FIFA World, and possibly some of the Facebook games got shut down meaning that money spent was lost. However, The Sims FreePlay survived for 4 years and still going but it has the disadvantage of being online.

The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 have one-time purchases which is a better advantage. In addition, purchased games on Origin will remain on the account even if the game isn't on Origin anymore. However, FreePlay only has few one-time meaning most VIP points would come from temporary purchases. Who would ever think of spending currency packs to get VIP?
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I would agree with @SimsLovinLycan about the shut down of Free to Play games. I've seen (including but not limited to) games like Bullet Run, The Sims Social, SimCity Social, Battlefield Heroes, Battlefield Play4Free, Need for Speed World, FIFA World, and possibly some of the Facebook games got shut down meaning that money spent was lost. However, The Sims FreePlay survived for 4 years and still going but it has the disadvantage of being online.

The Sims 3 and The Sims 4 have one-time purchases which is a better advantage. In addition, purchased games on Origin will remain on the account even if the game isn't on Origin anymore. However, FreePlay only has few one-time meaning most VIP points would come from temporary purchases. Who would ever think of spending currency packs to get VIP?

@WinMacSims3 it's in Origin's terms of service that if they decide that an older game is no longer viable to offer downloads they can give you 30 days and then you will no longer be able to download and use your content.

The model has changed from owning games to 'leasing' the right to play them for an undetermined amount of time-namely when the company decides it is no longer financially viable to host downloads of those games on their servers for their customers to download.

So essentially now we no longer really *own* any of what we buy. In the past having discs protected you from situations such as this. However even if you have the TS4 disc they made it so you have to utilise Origin to be able to play. So presumably when TS4 is pulled you won't be able to access it disc or not.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    @WinMacSims3 it's in Origin's terms of service that if they decide that an older game is no longer viable to offer downloads they can give you 30 days and then you will no longer be able to download and use your content.

The model has changed from owning games to 'leasing' the right to play them for an undetermined amount of time-namely when the company decides it is no longer financially viable to host downloads of those games on their servers for their customers to download.

So essentially now we no longer really *own* any of what we buy. In the past having discs protected you from situations such as this. However even if you have the TS4 disc they made it so you have to utilise Origin to be able to play. So presumably when TS4 is pulled you won't be able to access it disc or not.

I think it's still quite safe for a very long time. Probably as long as Origin goes on really, having in mind that they pulled The Sims 2 off sales, but they didn't pull the availability off origin. And that game is already 12 years old. Furthermore they gave away games from the 90s and late 80s on their "on the house" deals and those have not been pulled. I imagine the pulling would mostly happen if Origin itself flops and they decide to shut down the service. It's the same with steam, except that they promise you a few months to back up your games if everything goes wrong.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

I think it's still quite safe for a very long time. Probably as long as Origin goes on really, having in mind that they pulled The Sims 2 off sales, but they didn't pull the availability off origin. And that game is already 12 years old. Furthermore they gave away games from the 90s and late 80s on their "on the house" deals and those have not been pulled. I imagine the pulling would mostly happen if Origin itself flops and they decide to shut down the service. It's the same with steam, except that they promise you a few months to back up your games if everything goes wrong.

I think it's slightly different-TS2 was added as a gift without taking into account what you owned before. So any TS2 store content isn't bundled into it so if you had that but no back ups then those DLC purchases would be 'lost'.

So some people gained something from UC because they hadn't bought any or all TS2 games. Whereas others who bought it all plus the store DLC lost out.

The fact is we don't know. We can speculate endlessly about how long but it doesn't change the new model being that we no longer 'own' the content we buy in a traditional sense. It's something that I've been following in this industry for a while-and I've seen developers in interviews calling for a better deal to protect the customer further than the whims of the company offering the content. It would be nice to think that their feedback would be heard but unless a lot of customers question and challenge policies like this then the new status quo will stick.