Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Well here is a family related article with pictures to cheer everyone up that was shared on Twitter.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    edited October 2016
    I was sitting under the hurricane for some of that, without internet and/or power. Although I played a fair bit of Sims while I had power but no internet. I'm just glad I'd finished my major recoloring of the Toy Store and was sorting Sims pics in windows explorer when the power went. I'd have been very ticked had it all gone dark when I was almost done. The Midnight Hollow color scheme and tone don't quite work in Isla Paradiso.

ETA: I was interested to discover that a lot of the toys in the shop were 'aged' by replacing a smooth plastic-type pattern with a woodgrain one, e.g. the stove was redone in two-tone woodgrain with one tone the original red or blue and the other a dark gray, thus making it look like it had been around for years. Wednesday Addams might like to play with it looking antique, but my IP kids weren't interested. :p
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    anettesb wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @anettesb right I forgot there's not one general feedback session for all games right now :/ At least I don't think so. Let's hope SimGuruDrake has an idea :D And yes you're totally right! There's definitely things in 1, 2, 3 and even 4 that is missing or less well done in the other iterations. It would be so great if they could release a "Sims Ultimate" that combines the best of all worlds, so I'm sure it'd be nice to have this thread. Keep me posted when you've found a good spot to start it in on the forums :) I'll def. bookmark it!

I thought it be fun and helpful
    + a place to post when you remember an awsome interaktion or even just 1 item you loved from any of the games

it is great when they reuse ideas... the god ones.. and even improve on them.

Agreed ! i currently play the sims 2 and i miss the build mod from the sims 4 (which is really well done) and the CAS from the sims 4 ( except the sims 2 chemistry which is awesome).
    It would be good to point out what we like.

when it comes to hair I love the color choice (wheel) in sims3 and the fact that hats are not glued to the hair but can be used with any hair in sims4

som of the build elements (that I tried) in sims4 is fantastic (difrent hights) and landscaping in sims3 is just awsome, in sims2 I love how the garden plants need to be kept ....
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    No comments since October 5. Where is everyone?

Planning a trip to Scotland, doing sport, waiting an answer to an apply for a job.
    And i went back on the sims 2 ^^

I was in Scotland a couple of weeks ago :smile:

I am going away somewhere else next week.

Scotland is great I was there... oh it is already about 17 years ago... well I enjoyed it

where in Scotland were you?

and @lulubadwolf where are you going?

I stayed in Glasgow. Went to Aberdeen and Rothesay :smile:

Aberdeen is a long way if you stay in Glasgow
    don't remeber if we where in Aberdeen (rember seeing the signs to it on the road)
    we stayed first in Edingburg, then in Invernes

It takes two and half hours by train from Glasgow to Aberdeen as it stops off at a few places.

for a day trip thats long... well in my book it is
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    Not to be a pessimist and given the size of the thread I'm sure this has been said before, but...

Two years without confirming or denying we will get Toddlers simply isn't normal.

At this point it's just downright rude not to provide a straightforward answer on the matter. It's stringing your customers along with a carrot on a stick. Personally I'm left to assume toddlers are never going to happen, at least not in any near future update (aka, over a year from now). Why? Well radio silence on toddlers for two years is definitely odd, but radio silence doesn't confirm or deny development towards that feature. Plenty of developers try to hide big updates as long as possible; City Living is a decent example of that. So why would I suspect toddlers aren't gonna happen...?

Because it's blatantly obvious they're popular. It's the most requested feature for Sims 4, to the point I think sometimes people sarcastically joke in forum posts about the demand for toddlers since it's such a common complaint topic. After two years of waiting, if toddlers were in development or close to release...? EA more or less has an interest in letting their fans know "yes, we are trying to include them." They haven't done this, to my knowledge, despite how beneficial it would be to do so. This leads me to believe they aren't currently working on toddlers and currently have no immediate plans to do so, and they withhold that information because they realize how wildly unpopular that stance would be if it became public knowledge. Thus, here we are stuck in this awkward rut of constant radio silence on the topic even though the topic resurfaces constantly.

That's just my speculation and my take on things anyways, and I'm sure some people will adamantly disagree with me. I'd call that wishful thinking, but to each their own. tl;dr though? I honestly wouldn't get your hopes up for toddlers. I just don't see them happening in the forseeable future.

I'm afraid you might be right

but hey until sims4 can provide me with a game I can enjoy I don't buy... maybe I never get sims4... then hopefully they make a 5 and it is to my liking
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,551 Member
    Hey peeps, how are you all doing? @sparkfairy1 I hope you are feeling better...? *hugs*

I haven't been able to play for a while and am really missing my sims! I have a very painful right hand and, after being on a computer all day at work, I really need to come home and rest it. So no games for me, sadly (I'm typing this one-handed on my tablet).

Is there anyone around who still has hopes of toddlers coming to ts4?
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Hi @elanorbreton I'm still lurking. I haven't been able to play since the storm. Out of power and then too busy cleaning up and back to work. I have no hopes for toddlers for TS4. I have no hopes that even if they added toddlers that it would make me want TS4 with all the other issues I have with TS4. I just cannot justify my 'fun' money on it as it would frustrate the whosit out of me and that would not be fun.

I saw a comment in a thread last week that 'we' (I assume they meant those of us who are not fond of TS4) need to treat it as a different game and then we would like it. No...not for me. If I'd never played Sims3 I still would not have enjoyed my 'trial' session and would not be interested in purchasing Sims4.
  • Options
    bekkasan wrote: »
    Hi @elanorbreton I'm still lurking. I haven't been able to play since the storm. Out of power and then too busy cleaning up and back to work. I have no hopes for toddlers for TS4. I have no hopes that even if they added toddlers that it would make me want TS4 with all the other issues I have with TS4. I just cannot justify my 'fun' money on it as it would frustrate the whosit out of me and that would not be fun.

I saw a comment in a thread last week that 'we' (I assume they meant those of us who are not fond of TS4) need to treat it as a different game and then we would like it. No...not for me. If I'd never played Sims3 I still would not have enjoyed my 'trial' session and would not be interested in purchasing Sims4.

agree just becouse it is a difrent game dosn't = I enjoy it.... I don't enjoy all games, and I don't expect sims4 to be the same as sims3 or 2 or 1 I hoped it would be even better at simulating life (with a fun twist) I was disapointed, though I still have hope that they can ad things and patch elements that wil make it a game I like.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Whoa loving all the Scotland love in this thread lately. :D Yes, more people, come to Scotland! It's great! :D

I'm actually pretty excited for City Living. I love that there will be a Singing skill and Lot Traits. I've already got some Sims I'm planning to move into the city, and I'm excited to try out the Political career. I haven't been playing for ages but I was home sick for the past couple days so got in some Sims 4 time. I had to quit out in frustration in the middle of a big wedding, though, because the Photo Studio kept glitching for all the photos of family members together. :(
  • Options
    singing skill sounds fantastic
  • Options
    clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    @elanorbreton hope your hand heals soon.

Wouldnt say I have hope for toddlers to return, I have a want for then to return but feel like if they were gna bring them back it would have happened already, I think they have so many ideas for the game that there's no room little time for their development. But that's just speculation. They seem to know where they want to go with series and personally I feel that bigger problems need to be solved before adding any life stages/states etc.
    Wow how a year chances, if you would have asked me that a year or so ago it would have been a completely different answer.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Honestly? I no longer really have *any* feeling towards TS games in general now. I hate EA (yes, real hate) because TS4 could've been something amazing yet they chose to ignore EVERYTHING the real fans were telling them and started to listen to the casual players. That is what I feel has truly ruined this game. Of course, it's no fault of the players; they are only guilty of asking for things they want. I hold the blame fully to EA and as a result; they've lost my custom for life.

I'm no longer even thinking about toddlers. Or anything 'Sims' any more. Honestly, I don't care if I never see a virtual person again, no matter the life stage or team behind it. I've moved on to (yup, I'll say it) *bigger and better* games and I honestly (I'm saying that a lot, I know, but this is 100% truth *for me*) I doubt I'll ever play or buy another Sims game again.

I'm finally 'over' this whole thing and it feels amazing. The Sims Studio could burn down tomorrow (touch wood it doesn't) and I wouldn't give a flying monkey.

--T
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @To7m I haven't given up on The Sims entirety and I think things will improve for TS5 but I don't see much happening for TS4. I mean they won't even let players build their own apartments so who knows what they will do with toddles? Burrito toddlers maybe?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    @To7m I haven't given up on The Sims entirety and I think things will improve for TS5 but I don't see much happening for TS4. I mean they won't even let players build their own apartments so who knows what they will do with toddles? Burrito toddlers maybe?

I feel like I want to say 'meh, who cares?' (Although I know people do care and rightly so).

I don't *shrugs* not anymore.

--T
  • Options
    To7m wrote: »
    Honestly? I no longer really have *any* feeling towards TS games in general now. I hate EA (yes, real hate) because TS4 could've been something amazing yet they chose to ignore EVERYTHING the real fans were telling them and started to listen to the casual players. That is what I feel has truly ruined this game. Of course, it's no fault of the players; they are only guilty of asking for things they want. I hold the blame fully to EA and as a result; they've lost my custom for life.

I'm no longer even thinking about toddlers. Or anything 'Sims' any more. Honestly, I don't care if I never see a virtual person again, no matter the life stage or team behind it. I've moved on to (yup, I'll say it) *bigger and better* games and I honestly (I'm saying that a lot, I know, but this is 100% truth *for me*) I doubt I'll ever play or buy another Sims game again.

I'm finally 'over' this whole thing and it feels amazing. The Sims Studio could burn down tomorrow (touch wood it doesn't) and I wouldn't give a flying monkey.

--T

:mrgreen: wonders what games it is
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    No comments since October 5. Where is everyone?

I don't know about anyone else but caring is slowly slipping through my fingers.....and as far as since this past Friday I was without electric and Internet because Hurricane Matthew paid us a visit.

Basically this. I gave up a long time ago.. and while this thread represents so many lovely things and has been a haven for family players since its creation, it's also become disappointing (not by the fault of anyone in here who regularly posts) in the sense that we were told by the team that our opinions/requests/feedback has an expiration date.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options

--T

Well, right now, I'm playing LEGO Dimensions. The attention to detail in those worlds alone splash TS4 out of the water, and having seen what's to come I'm even more excited (I bought the Supergirl exclusive starter pack a few days ago). The game itself is so engaging, you don't just play but actually get involved with the little figures and vehicles. It really is so well thought out.

--T

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Not to be a pessimist and given the size of the thread I'm sure this has been said before, but...

Two years without confirming or denying we will get Toddlers simply isn't normal.

At this point it's just downright rude not to provide a straightforward answer on the matter. It's stringing your customers along with a carrot on a stick. Personally I'm left to assume toddlers are never going to happen, at least not in any near future update (aka, over a year from now). Why? Well radio silence on toddlers for two years is definitely odd, but radio silence doesn't confirm or deny development towards that feature. Plenty of developers try to hide big updates as long as possible; City Living is a decent example of that. So why would I suspect toddlers aren't gonna happen...?

Because it's blatantly obvious they're popular. It's the most requested feature for Sims 4, to the point I think sometimes people sarcastically joke in forum posts about the demand for toddlers since it's such a common complaint topic. After two years of waiting, if toddlers were in development or close to release...? EA more or less has an interest in letting their fans know "yes, we are trying to include them." They haven't done this, to my knowledge, despite how beneficial it would be to do so. This leads me to believe they aren't currently working on toddlers and currently have no immediate plans to do so, and they withhold that information because they realize how wildly unpopular that stance would be if it became public knowledge. Thus, here we are stuck in this awkward rut of constant radio silence on the topic even though the topic resurfaces constantly.

That's just my speculation and my take on things anyways, and I'm sure some people will adamantly disagree with me. I'd call that wishful thinking, but to each their own. tl;dr though? I honestly wouldn't get your hopes up for toddlers. I just don't see them happening in the forseeable future.
    It is against EA's principles to promise anything about the content of not yet announced expansions. Besides that there always will be an option for their content to change before they are released. So EA actually can't say for sure.

But we are allowed to make our own qualified guesses which tells me that the probability of toddlers ever being made for TS4 is extremely small. The reason is that if it was EA's intention to make them then EA would have released them much earlier because they become more and more difficult and expensive to make for each released expansion. Therefore they won't be made unless EA for some reason should change their earlier decision about omitting them and there has alas gone too much time for that to be likely at all.
  • Options

--T

Well, right now, I'm playing LEGO Dimensions. The attention to detail in those worlds alone splash TS4 out of the water, and having seen what's to come I'm even more excited (I bought the Supergirl exclusive starter pack a few days ago). The game itself is so engaging, you don't just play but actually get involved with the little figures and vehicles. It really is so well thought out.

--T

interesting

though I don't have a ps4 only 3, I do use that and the games I have.
  • Options
    timefeelertimefeeler Posts: 15 Member
    Right, so we're about to get City Living (another pack based on socialising and/or more extroverted gameplay). It's painfully obvious that we need more family-oriented gameplay (and of course toddlers). While I do think it's weird that we've had a massive 11 month gap between City Living and the last expansion, I think it also means that they've definitely been working on something else too.

If we look at release history for expansion packs for The Sims 3; Supernatural was released in September 2012, and Seasons was released in November 2012 (only two months later). I've heard this is because they had two smaller teams working on each seperate expansion. I hope that this is what has been happening this year and I hope, and pray, that maybe we will get three expansions in 2017...?

I feel like the fourth expansion is going to be either Generations, Pets, or Seasons. It just has to be one of those three because if you look at comment sections anywhere, Youtube videos, forums etc it's the most common feedback that we need more family-oriented gameplay. The developers know this and I'm pretty sure it's coming. I know this 11 month gap has got everybody worried (myself included at times) but the developers know that if they released Generations, Pets or Seasons (all would introduce more family-oriented gameplay) they would be massive sellers, so they're coming, I'm sure of it.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    timefeeler wrote: »
    Right, so we're about to get City Living (another pack based on socialising and/or more extroverted gameplay). It's painfully obvious that we need more family-oriented gameplay (and of course toddlers). While I do think it's weird that we've had a massive 11 month gap between City Living and the last expansion, I think it also means that they've definitely been working on something else too.

If we look at release history for expansion packs for The Sims 3; Supernatural was released in September 2012, and Seasons was released in November 2012 (only two months later). I've heard this is because they had two smaller teams working on each seperate expansion. I hope that this is what has been happening this year and I hope, and pray, that maybe we will get three expansions in 2017...?

I feel like the fourth expansion is going to be either Generations, Pets, or Seasons. It just has to be one of those three because if you look at comment sections anywhere, Youtube videos, forums etc it's the most common feedback that we need more family-oriented gameplay. The developers know this and I'm pretty sure it's coming. I know this 11 month gap has got everybody worried (myself included at times) but the developers know that if they released Generations, Pets or Seasons (all would introduce more family-oriented gameplay) they would be massive sellers, so they're coming, I'm sure of it.
    It is very difficult to say because we don't know anything about the sales numbers and if they have been a little low then it only makes sense that EA releases fewer expansions. But let us see:
    In 2015 EA released 4 SPs, 2 GPs and 2 EPs.
    In 2016 EA already has released 4 SPs and 1 GP and it seems that we will get 1 SP and 1 EP later. So this will be 5 SPs, 1GP and 1 EP.

But the last 2015 EP could easily have been postponed to January 2016 and then there wouldn't really have been much difference between 2015 and 2016.

Until now the EPs have been Get to Work, Get Together and now City Living and the GPs have been Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day and Dine Out. Although I didn't buy them it seems to me that EA has changed its strategy about switching between releasing completely new content and just new versions of earlier EPs completely and now mainly only wants to release very new types of expansions.

For the future I therefore don't believe in a new Generations EP also because EA apparently doesn't want to release detailed babies and objects for them, toddlers and a huge number of toddler objects or shorter teens because TS4 never was planned to be about this and it wouldn't make sense to me to attempt to change that now. Instead it would make much more sense to instead make a lot of simmers happy by letting all this return in the Sims 5 basegame.

I also doubt that Pets will be released for the Sims 4 because pets are more suited for a game with more focus on toddlers and children than TS4 is likely to ever become.

Seasons I don't know about. We got this EP for both TS2 and TS3. But again EA seems to be interested in a break away from the old traditions in TS4. So maybe also the weather and/or the seasons also will be postponed for the Sims 5.

Maybe they have been working on something else. But that could very easily be TS5 so TS5 will be ready to be released within 2 or 3 years. Or it could be the very first sidegame for TS4.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,551 Member
    edited October 2016
    clover24 wrote: »
    @elanorbreton hope your hand heals soon.
    Thanks, clover <3
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    @elanorbreton

How is the hand going ?

I gave up on toddlers sometime ago. I just don't think about it, because earlier I believed they would come and got very disappointed after a few of the pre hype events. Honestly I thought at launch they were working on them as a priority, but sadly not the case. I just enjoy what I do in ts 4 and still have the other games :)

@bekkasan is everything ok after the storm?
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2016
    I gave up on toddlers after Gamescom 2015. After that, I knew life stages were not priority on the Sims 4 list of things to do. I have since accepted the Sims 4 being a YA focused game. It is like only so long people can handle a carrot being dangled in front of them before burying that carrot for good. I've accepted that toddlers or preteens may not happen until the Sims 5 which I'm ok with now especially since there are so many mechanics that need to be tweaked for the Sims 4 to even feel like a life simulator game to me. Toddlers might be better with a Sims game with a fresh start and a real emotion and memory system put into place and with not having to worry about being culled or have the relationship with their parents be culled. Plus not like there have been a lot of life stages for toddlers to be so far anyway, so I can get that fix with the Sims 3 having supernatural children.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I'm here. Mostly just reading threads after I get home from work. We're still shorthanded, so I'm pretty exhausted most of the time. Although I don't like timed challenges, I played the Day of the Dead one because I like the content. But I've been pretty aggravated because I don't understand why they won't talk to us about culling and relationship decay. Why did I have to find out about it from another player, rather than seeing it in the patch notes? This stuff is a big deal to me, but when I ask on here and on Twitter, I get chirping crickets as a response.

I won't have time to play this weekend, we're going on a little trip that should be fun. A nice break away from the work rush. I'm also very excited that Planet Coaster is only a few weeks away. I plan to get back more into my Sims 2 & Sims 3 games, I have a few story ideas I'd like to play out.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top