Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stormwind and Elwynn Forest: latest update 13 July 16

Comments

• Options
    Gaxili1Gaxili1 Posts: 212 Member
    Not sure if you are using any custom content for the world, but if so Lunenore has a lot of WoW to Sims 3 conversions like this one http://lunenore.tumblr.com/post/114611349906/bloodelfset02sims3 :smile: Might give some inspiration though :blush:
  • Options
    HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member
    Hi @flstrider .... I'm only doing some research ... honest! ....

f1e40095-b00c-4350-a1ad-ac1ab19982e5.jpg

.... please don't crack the whip yet ;) lol ... I'll be back to building in a jiffy o:)<3
  • Options
    flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited January 2016
    @Gaxili1 I would love to use CC but I am trying to stay away from it for this world. I love those items you linked and believe me it will definitely be used in my personal version of this world!!!

@Hidehi Research huh??? lol What Relm did you choose? and is that a mage? good thing the game is free up to level 20!

So I only have the rest of today and tomorrow left of freedom before I get back to the books and continue my quest for the bachelors degree achievement so I thought I would share the almost completed "Rough Sketch" of Elwynn Forest. Still have MUCH to do on the mountain sculpting and then I can start on the terrain painting. Here is the progress so far......

Overview7a_1.jpg

I will be continuing on the sculpting today and tomorrow hopefully I will get most of it completed before school starts back up on Wednesday. More as the progress continues......
    Post edited by flstrider on
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    KementariKementari Posts: 925 Member
    Hey flstrider :)

I saw your thread a while back and have been stalking it since, I too am a avid WoW player and by the sound if it started around the same time as you.

(Just in case you are interested I play on Exodar for Horde and Area52 for Alliance)

Anyways! I am soooo looking forward to seeing this world progress. I haven't been able to start my Sims 3 game in over 6 months but seeing this thread made me try to purge some store content and see if i could get it running and lo and behold it did! I have been trying to recreate the Goldshire Tavern and so far the interior is looking pretty good, I had to make some compromises of course but overall it looks similar. The exterior on the other hand, ugh. I just cant get that bulky cartoon look wow has.

If you want I can post some pics of it here or on my showcase thread, and if you like it you can use it in your world :)
  • Options
    @Kementari I had a lvl 60 Night Elf hunter on Exodar but the guild I was in dissolved and I deleted that toon. I am on Elune with both my ally and horde toons. I would love to see what you have done with the goldshire inn! I knew that there was no way to get that cartoon look and decided to just use the old medieval looking buildings and @StellaToronto and @Hidehi are working on those for me as my medieval lot skills stink right now......lol! so please feel free to share them here! what size lot did you use?
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    KementariKementari Posts: 925 Member
    edited January 2016
    Oh I have a 90 pally on Elune, havent played her in months though.

The lot is 30x20, I was trying to keep it small but man I used almost all the length of the lot with the inn, there is plenty of room on the side though. I am trying to figure out what to put in there, at the moment I have it just like the one in wow and that means there is nothing to do there but get a drink lol. oh and read, plenty of book cases. Right now I am thinking of sticking the nectar maker in the basement.

4ln9c5.jpg

nq8isj.jpg

19h84.jpg

atonpt.jpg
    Post edited by Kementari on
  • Options
    @Kementari omg that is so awesome! I think I made the lot 40x40 for the tavern and the blacksmith shop on my map. I love the CFE staircase I really need to go back and relearn that. you definitely captured the interior perfectly!!!
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I wish I knew how to do that staircase too! Awesome.

I don't play WoW, but, seeing the map I did not realize how extensive this world would be!!
  • Options
    @bekkasan you should see it in WoW!! it takes like 10 minutes to run (on foot no horse) from one end of Elwynn to the other on your character...LOL( and that is not much of an exaggeration) it was difficult to scale this zone down because of how big it appears to be in the game. Azeroth is a huge world and each zone is quite large even to "fly" from the most southern tip of the eastern kingdoms to its northern most point takes a good while.
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    Going to use the rest of today and figure out what venues to place where in Stormwind but I did get the falls completed for Mirror Lake......

Mirror%20Lake%20Falls.jpg

I just found out that I did get one more day of freedom as classes will now not begin until Thursday (that's if the county gets my road plowed, still waiting!). More as the build continues......
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I'm gonna miss my daily updates on your world. Good luck with your first day back in class. :)
  • Options
    First day back was very informative, this term is going to be filled with a TON of writing assignments, feeling the hand cramps already...lol! As writing intensive as this term is going to be, working on this project will be an awesome break! So the updates may slow but they will still be coming!
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    DolphineQDolphineQ Posts: 1,799 Member
    @flstrider
    Oh wow... just... wow... literally! WOW!
    What ever you do and have to do for school, please don't let this project go. Your progress literally had me bouncing in my chair, squealing "Are we there yet, are we there yet?!" :smiley:
    I've been enjoying a month of rekindling the WoW love and just this morning I spent some time in SW on a banker alt, walking around and really looking at the buildings, like I never have before in my many years of playing. And I kept thinking of your World and how much I want to get my mitts on it, stick my Sims in it, LIVE in it and just breathe the atmosphere of my two favorite games ever rolled into one. You are literally a dream-come-true-maker and if I could find words to thank you for doing this, I would... but words just don't cover my gratitude.
    I have shown it to some of my WoW buddies and they, despite having never played a Sims game, are thoroughly impressed - to put it mildly. One of them uttered the words "Holy 🐸🐸🐸🐸!!!" and nearly snorted his tea when he saw your pictures here. I had to promise to send him pictures of my Sims in this world, once it's done and uploaded. Like anything could stop me? :wink:

Back into game I go, to test a few things out in Helix Bay. While I daydream of Stormwind and the fun it'll be...
    Please share and support me in my work with rescue cats! https://www.gofundme.com/DolphineQCats

2rgmmvq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @DolphineQ Don't worry I do plan on working on this during school, besides you can only read textbooks for so long...LOL!!! The workload will be intense but I have already planned my "Sims Time" although the updates will be a bit slower in coming.

The sculpting and painting has begun but it will definitely take some time as there are a TON of mountains to work on. Here is the progress so far......

A CAW Shot
    Paintstart.jpg

My "Paint Test" area
    Screenshot-66.jpg

And an overview
    Screenshot-68.jpg

I am trying something different with the terrain painting, something I read somewhere and wanted to try it out, forgot where I read it but I am glad I wrote something down for once...lol. More as the work continues......
    Post edited by flstrider on
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    Gaxili1Gaxili1 Posts: 212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Love the update! Are you planning on recoloring the city walls? :smiley:
  • Options
    @Gaxili1 I would love to but I unfortunately do not have the skill or understanding on how to do it. Wouldn't the recolor be considered CC, I never understood that part of CAW and have never tried anything with CC (just store stuff). Even though my game folder has a TON of CC, I always keep that away from my CAW working folders.
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2016
    It's funny what comes to mind as you work on a project like this. Just got home from classes and working in my allotted time frame for my "Sims Time" was working more on the TON of mountains in this world and I started to think back on my geology class of last term. Not just about igneous or sedimentary rocks but of how rocks and new islands are formed and how mountain ranges were slowly developed and cut over millions of years and as I was continuing the painting I started to notice that the mountains in Elwynn looked off, not quite right. So as I continue to apply the base rock terrain paints I am also re-sculpting the mountains as I go.......

Screenshot-69.jpg

and who says you never use what you learn in school! LOL. Even though the mountains in World of Warcraft have a more cartoon look I really wanted to get a more realistic look to the ones in this world. The progress is slowly continuing......

NewSig.jpg

• Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,436 Member
    flstrider wrote: »
    It's funny what comes to mind as you work on a project like this. Just got home from classes and working in my allotted time frame for my "Sims Time" was working more on the TON of mountains in this world and I started to think back on my geology class of last term. Not just about igneous or sedimentary rocks but of how rocks and new islands are formed and how mountain ranges were slowly developed and cut over millions of years and as I was continuing the painting I started to notice that the mountains in Elwynn looked off, not quite right. So as I continue to apply the base rock terrain paints I am also re-sculpting the mountains as I go.......

Screenshot-69.jpg

and who says you never use what you learn in school! LOL. Even though the mountains in World of Warcraft have a more cartoon look I really wanted to get a more realistic look to the ones in this world. The progress is slowly continuing......

Yes, that mountain looks very "real!" I took pretty much the same geology class and always notice a lot of things wrong about game mountains (most any game). Since I took that class, I can't help but survey the mountains surrounding the valley I live in and remember that where I am would have been under a 5-mile high mountain in the distant past, this based on the curve of the rock layers in the remaining mountains.

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    @suzses Thank you hopefully once I get the paint on there it will look better. I am not usually a science type but that geology class was actually enjoyable and I think it will help me out a bit working on these worlds, which I plan on continuing for a very long time. Living near the Appalachian Mountain chain I have the opportunity to go out and explore and get ideas for my world building. And because of that class I have a much better appreciation for the area.
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,359 Member
    Kementari wrote: »
    Oh I have a 90 pally on Elune, havent played her in months though.

The lot is 30x20, I was trying to keep it small but man I used almost all the length of the lot with the inn, there is plenty of room on the side though. I am trying to figure out what to put in there, at the moment I have it just like the one in wow and that means there is nothing to do there but get a drink lol. oh and read, plenty of book cases. Right now I am thinking of sticking the nectar maker in the basement.

4ln9c5.jpg

nq8isj.jpg

19h84.jpg

atonpt.jpg

Wow, that's really good... :) I always get the urge to try to build some of the buildings but haven't yet attempted to try it yet.

And I had to re-bookmark this thread again because somehow the site had un-bookmarked it when I know that I would never in a million years do that on my own... :D
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @lisasc360 yes Kementari is an awesome creator! I love what was done with that inn!

On a sad note Stormwind suffered a minor setback as the current world file became corrupt so I lost a portion of the terrain painting I had completed but thankfully the first backup file was in good order but unfortunately the terrain paint in that save was just started. Actually though I am kind of glad this happened as I was not really liking the paint so this gives me a clean slate to work with. More as the progress continues......
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    deadhaus123deadhaus123 Posts: 475 Member
    flstrider wrote: »
    @lisasc360 yes Kementari is an awesome creator! I love what was done with that inn!

On a sad note Stormwind suffered a minor setback as the current world file became corrupt so I lost a portion of the terrain painting I had completed but thankfully the first backup file was in good order but unfortunately the terrain paint in that save was just started. Actually though I am kind of glad this happened as I was not really liking the paint so this gives me a clean slate to work with. More as the progress continues......

Wow..i can't think of too many things worse than working for not on a world. @ least the second cracks turn out nicer usually! Good luck with your world!, there are some very interesting creations on this site and can't wait to see more of yours and other peoples work!
    [img][/img]UjBiOYQ.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah it was disappointing to open the world to find that it was corrupt but they say that things happen for a reason and I think someone was trying to tell me to rethink the paint...lol. The biggest problem is the amount of mountainous area in this world and coming up with just the right combinations of paint to make it look just right.
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Gotta love snow days...lol! Finally got the beginnings of the terrain paint back to where it was plus a little more, just wanted to share the progress so far......

Screenshot-71.jpg
    Screenshot-70.jpg

Now this is just the paint base and there is still much to do before the detail paints can be added. More as the progress continues......
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    SilvakristiinaSilvakristiina Posts: 444 Member
    It looks so awesome! You're very fast and dedicted builder!

Have you possibly been planning to make a roadles version, too? :yum: I create stories and never really play normally, so if I could choose, I'd take all my worlds with out roads for the pictures :) Nevertheless, I'll download this anyway!