Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SMALL UPDATE COMING TO THE PC VERSION OF THE SIMS 3

Comments

• Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,063 Member
    edited November 2015
    ciane wrote: »
    Seriously? Many would disagree with that. It was known to kill high-end CD players quickly in Sims 2. A group law suit meant that it could only be included on digital versions. This is why many people only want the discs.

It cannot harm you in any way. :)

I guess you are jocking (I no want think you are ignorant)
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    I'm happy that I turned off auto updates through Origin. I see the testing that's been done, but I'd like to wait a little longer before I go ahead and update. I also seen there will be another update because there is an issue with CAW. Hopefully that goes over well.

Also, thanks for sharing your findings in one post @ crinrict I found it very informative.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    mothersuperior2mothersuperior2 Posts: 1,419 Member
    @crinrict thank you for your post. Will be waiting until you have finished testing before even considering updating anything to do with Sims3. B)
    I have a weird sense of humour. If it doesn't come across, please forgive me in advance.

Are Kevin's undergarments lurking in a wishlist near you?

I own the Store 5584.gifMy Page
    HOW?
    Cascades
    Daily Deals
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,553 Member
    again to all simmers i will repeat this question what will you do the day that all games will go digital and no cds dvds are avalable anymore?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,998 Member
    again to all simmers i will repeat this question what will you do the day that all games will go digital and no cds dvds are avalable anymore?

I'll still be playing sims 3 on my old desktop. :wink:
  • Options
    espereldaesperelda Posts: 171 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    I don't know. It's one of my concerns too, tbh. I'm also a bit concerned about EIG but we shall see tomorrow.

If you don't wanna be a guinea pig, don't update (make sure to turn off automatic updates)

Thanks Crinrict....off to try and turn off my automatic updates, sigh.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited November 2015
    Ayumap wrote: »
    I'm happy that I turned off auto updates through Origin. I see the testing that's been done, but I'd like to wait a little longer before I go ahead and update. I also seen there will be another update because there is an issue with CAW. Hopefully that goes over well.

Also, thanks for sharing your findings in one post @ crinrict I found it very informative.

Do you already have a digital version of the base game? If so I think you are already unable to use EIG in CAW. Maybe they will surprise me, but I don't think they will be fixing this because it has never worked with digital versions of the game - or the "go social" version of the disk that was made after 2012. I believe that any version of the game that requires the launcher and Origin to play it cannot use EIG.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,463 Member
    It is surely too soon to tell but I really don't think this update will be a problem, since you are in total control of your EP's. If you do not disable them, then it is as always, with all your EP's in use. In other words, I wouldn't disable anything unless starting a new game, then when you want to go back to an old save, just re-enable all your EP's before playing. Simple.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member

Nothing will happen to disc or the tower itself; games will eventually go and barely any physical copies will be available. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    @igazor or anyone, I'm begging of anyone. How do I get this stupid update off my system? I'm in tears now...and hearing the NRaas won't support the update, I cannot say how upset I am. It was a stupid, stupid mistake. I just want it gone and go back to 1.67. Let me super patch. I mean I just get my game to working perfectly and EA has to go and throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing again and make things for the worse.

Do you have the superpatch .exe backed up somewhere?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulative-manual-update#latest

I don't know what will happen with Origin though.

If I were you I'd try uninstalling Sims 3 base game and then clean registry and install base game again and patch with the super patcher. And download and store the superpatch now while it is still available.

I don't KNOW if this will fix the problem but I don't know of what else you could do.

Unistalling Origin may work but you will probably end up with the same patch level again.
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member

The long answer to this would require a topic of its own in the appropriate section. The short answer is do as I do right now, which is severely limit the new games I buy and play my old ones. Game developers have made it clear to me they no longer want my business by limiting the format in how their games are delivered and that pretty much goes both ways. They don't need me and I don't need them.

@HappySimmer3 in one post I saw made by a guru they said they would be updating CAW. Of course remembering exactly where I saw that is another thing all together.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    espereldaesperelda Posts: 171 Member
    esperelda wrote: »
    I don't know. It's one of my concerns too, tbh. I'm also a bit concerned about EIG but we shall see tomorrow.

If you don't wanna be a guinea pig, don't update (make sure to turn off automatic updates)

Seems I can't access "settings" to turn off my automatic updates. Whenever I click on the Origins icon on my task bar, it immediately starts updating. So I right-clicked on it, and clicked settings but it still begins the automatic update. Any suggestions anyone?
  • Options
    ciane wrote: »

I'll still be playing sims 3 on my old desktop. :wink:

@friendlysimmers you will find me playing happily, same as @ciane
    I have a weird sense of humour. If it doesn't come across, please forgive me in advance.

HOW?
    Cascades
    Daily Deals
  • Options
    @igazor So cynical, and yet sadly probably true. >:)

HOW?
    Cascades
    Daily Deals
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited November 2015
    james64468 wrote: »
    james64468 wrote: »
    I am not going to do any updates till they answer more questions. How they going to get it where I can use stuff like rocking chairs without enabling that expansion pack? I want to be able to use the stuff from the expansion packs without having to turn them all on.

If you turn off the expansion that brought the feature, then they won't work. Either be replaced or removed.
    Pary wrote: »
    I'm doing some self-testing currently. Posting results on my twitter for now.

It put Securom on your PC ??!
    For the love of pete.....

The download version always had Securom. It just wasn't removed.

I can play the game without doing the update. It not mandatory. But I hate to turn off features that make the game enjoyable. I just stay without the update.

You don't have to turn off anything. If the game runs fine, continue as you have before.

If they get create a world to work with the new launcher then I will update. (My windows 10 hard drive. Not my windows 8.1 pro hard drive. Maybe it is 9.1 pro since then skipped 9. LOL. That one has create a world on it. )
    Post edited by james64468 on
  • Options
    BSIRegina wrote: »

The long answer to this would require a topic of its own in the appropriate section. The short answer is do as I do right now, which is severely limit the new games I buy and play my old ones. Game developers have made it clear to me they no longer want my business by limiting the format in how their games are delivered and that pretty much goes both ways. They don't need me and I don't need them.

@HappySimmer3 in one post I saw made by a guru they said they would be updating CAW. Of course remembering exactly where I saw that is another thing all together.

Well that honestly surprises me. And scares me at the same time. Guess I need to make sure a compatible version of CAW is also backed up on my hard drive.

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Well that honestly surprises me. And scares me at the same time. Guess I need to make sure a compatible version of CAW is also backed up on my hard drive.

I think the post @BSIRegina is referring to is the earlier one on page 7 of this thread very thread. Direct link. SimGuruDrake just says, "We are working on an update for this particular issue..." Whether that's an updated CAW or something else remains to be seen.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member

Seems I can't access "settings" to turn off my automatic updates. Whenever I click on the Origins icon on my task bar, it immediately starts updating. So I right-clicked on it, and clicked settings but it still begins the automatic update. Any suggestions anyone?

Disconnect from the internet. Choose go Offline in Origin. Then turn off automatic updates and hope it works.

I don't really know if that will work. I've not been game to launch Origin at all today. But then I almost never open it anyway. I also rarely open the launcher.
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »

I think the post @BSIRegina is referring to is the earlier one on page 7 of this thread very thread. Direct link. SimGuruDrake just says, "We are working on an update for this particular issue..." Whether that's an updated CAW or something else remains to be seen.

True, Trey, it could be a fix for the update.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Options
    Wanna post my results for tonight. I shall continue tomorrow

1. Update does not seem to be mandatory, doesn't matter which version you have
    2. If you have the old disc version, you can continue as is. No Origin installation necessary and no update. No new features either. You can still manually patch to 1.67 but you might keep a backup of the patch somewhere safe
    3. If you have the download version (more self-testing on this tomorrow) I assume you can also continue unpatched BUT if you ever need to reinstall, you will get version 1.69.
    4. If you decide to update, there's no more bypassing Origin or the launcher. I'm assuming EIG won't work (unless that's what they are patching)
    5. If you decide to update, no more disc is necessary.
    6. They added the feature to change the language through Origin, just as Sims 4 has.
    7. The EP downloads still install Securom to your computer
    8. Mods: I'm guessing that only core mods will throw wrong version number errors. I do not believe anything was changed game-wise.

I was also having a blank welcome page and login issues but I'm not sure what's going on. --> Back to normal. Might have something to do with my game changing to German after the update. I have Origin set to German.

Tests for tomorrow

1. Does base game download install Securom (might not be the case from what I'm reading) ?
    2. Can I play the unpatched download version (unclear if I can test this cause I'm unsure what I have on my test PC)
    3. Make sure no disc is necessary if newest EP is a disc version.

If you can think of anything else you want tested. Let me know. I'm reading this thread.

I'd be interested in knowing if you have the original disk version and decide you don't want the update, can you uninstall the base game, reinstall from your disk, and manually patch back to the 1.67 version?

• Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited November 2015

Not everyone has fast Internet and many still have limited download. The day will come when these aren't available but for now they are and they should still work as intended.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member

I'd be interested in knowing if you have the original disk version and decide you don't want the update, can you uninstall the base game, reinstall from your disk, and manually patch back to the 1.67 version?

Yes. You can do that but I would advise to go to the manual patch link and download it right now and keep in a safe place.

The old version on disc does not require you to install Origin at all. Just don't click update on Origin and continue to start through TSW.exe. Best is to close Origin when you play the game.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial