Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

$20 for the Outdoor Retreat Game Pack is Cheap.

Comments

• Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    What's the difference between a game pack and an expansion pack?
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    bobyo2001 wrote: »

I suppose a GP doesn't have nearly as much stuff as an EP.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited December 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Clearly not. Because I know of more content we are getting outside those dot points.

And what content might that be? This is what I've seen so far, other than the SimsVIP coverage, video clips, and such. Still not worth 20 dollars.

Gameplay:
    -Sims can now take vacations while traveling to special world. If the world is full, a Sim or Sims cannot travel.
    -Travel lodges can be rented and/or reserved.
    -Sims can visit campgrounds, or enjoy space camp. (??)
    -Sims may become tense if they don't vacation for a while.

-There's a new Herbalist career
    -A new insect collection has been included.
    -Additional Quests have been included.

*Sims can sleep in tents.
    *Sims can get a drink from an outdoor cooler.
    *Sims may get a rash from a poison ivy bush.
    *Sims can look up at the clouds or stars while relaxing on a sky-gazing mat.
    *Sims can sit and roast marshmallows around the campfire.

Create-a-Sim:
    Male:
    -Bear Costume

Female:
    -Bear Costume

Buy:
    -Tent
    -Children's Folding Chair
    -Cheap Folding Chair
    -Expensive Folding Chair
    -Sky Gazing Mat

-Rustic Picnic Table

-Cooler

-Lantern

-Campfire
    -Rustic Guitar

-Bear Gnome
    -Campground Clutter 1
    -Campground Clutter 2
    -Campground Clutter 3
    -Campground Clutter 4

Build:
    -Tree Stump
    -Poison Ivy Bush
    -Rock Collection

You said the only new features were in those dot points. Now you post this, which is much more.
    You are also able to own a Vacation Home, according to the leaked scripts.

If you honestly don't think that's worth $20 when you consider EA used to expect people to pay $20 for a Stuff Pack, then I can't help you.
    I mean, we live in an App era where people try to expect $2 purchases in full blown PC games.

For the actual content, it could be $15? but for EA standards, it's cheap. GTA charge customers like $20 for a couple of extra missions. DLC is expensive, because not everyone who bought the original will buy the DLC.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    To OP:
    Paying a Game Pack $20 for a Flop Game is a joke.

Sims 2 deserves it, but not the Sims 4.

That's why we don't want an expensive price for this pack.
    Flop Game 4 should be a trend :p
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    To OP:

I'd have to disagree, but it depends on what is in each one. I don't myself consider it a flop yet, since I put in over 600 hours of playtime before shelving it for a while, which is plenty for what I paid for the base game. But it does need a lot of new content to stay interesting, and the only way that is going to happen is with these packs and eps.
    The only way to determine if it "flopped" is to look at the sales. Not your personal experiences.

There are plenty of terrible games that sell well too. And flop games that are amazing.
    How much a game sells shouldn't justify how much you enjoy it.

Sales should never be used to determine how good a game is. That would mean the console version of the Sims 2 is better than the PC version, and we all know THAT ain't right :p
    Are you sure The Sims 4 is really good? Why did they removed a lot stuff? Why is it so incomplete and boring? Why are they just starting to bring them all back? Why did it go on sale too early? Why did it not sell well?

Wwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy?
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    To OP:

In case you didn't know, Sims 2 has camping! If you take your Sims on vacation to Three Lakes, there is a campsite that has no fees and has a lot of campsite activities for your Sims. There's also a food stand on the site, if your Sims aren't into catching and grilling fish.

Speaking of TS2, you paid a flat fee for the expansion, and got a massive amount of quality content. I don't think we should be nickel and dimed even MORE for the FOURTH iteration that is recycling content. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they're going to later try to charge 20 dollars per season instead of releasing an EP that has all four.

Bon Voyage really had a lot of content once you dug into it. But that's really just TS2 itself, lots of detail. And the developers knew what they were doing without releasing a million patches to fix gameplay structure (and I'm not referring to bugs), but I digress.

Think of it this way.
    These gameplay packs are the core elements of what Sims fans have asked for. Traditional vacations, not WA type Vacations.

This means the Expansion Packs are saved for new content, while previous content can be saved for Game Packs. For example, I'd love to see "Pets" as a $20 Game Pack, and an Expansion Pack that focuses on Farming? or something new.

This pack is basically Bon Voyage without all the "extra detail" while removing the extra $20 that Bon Voyage cost.
    It seems they want to keep old players happy, while bringing in new content.

I imagine they are saving the Cruise Ship idea they had in the survey for an Expansion Pack :)

So according to this made up theory, you are going to end up spending 20 dollars per season (60 dollars total in all), and just because it's old content and that's ok? You brought up Pets. Did you know that they were actually planning on splitting the Pets EP into a pack for horses, a pack for dogs, and a pack for cats? This was found through surveys.

As of now, we have no clue of whether or not expansions are returning. And we definitely can't draw the conclusion that they're going to be reserved for new content, and even if so, that's just a stupid concept.
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    CrackFox wrote: »
    I never thought the stuff packs were good value. Didn't buy them as they added little extra to the game than downloading a bunch of free CC would. This is definitely better value for money, as the OP pointed out it opens up the game quite a bit. The only gripe I have is that the map we've seen is tiny and even if the game adds loads of new things how much can we really make use of them with a tiny world incapable of housing many lots.

I really hope that the map is larger than the one we saw. It's a crying shame if it's not. If this pack has decent size world with bigger lot sizes available i'll snap it up with no shadow of a doubt that it's worth the price.

Sorry but I think Stuff Packs are inevitable ;)
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    To OP:

In case you didn't know, Sims 2 has camping! If you take your Sims on vacation to Three Lakes, there is a campsite that has no fees and has a lot of campsite activities for your Sims. There's also a food stand on the site, if your Sims aren't into catching and grilling fish.

Speaking of TS2, you paid a flat fee for the expansion, and got a massive amount of quality content. I don't think we should be nickel and dimed even MORE for the FOURTH iteration that is recycling content. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they're going to later try to charge 20 dollars per season instead of releasing an EP that has all four.

Bon Voyage really had a lot of content once you dug into it. But that's really just TS2 itself, lots of detail. And the developers knew what they were doing without releasing a million patches to fix gameplay structure (and I'm not referring to bugs), but I digress.

Think of it this way.
    These gameplay packs are the core elements of what Sims fans have asked for. Traditional vacations, not WA type Vacations.

This means the Expansion Packs are saved for new content, while previous content can be saved for Game Packs. For example, I'd love to see "Pets" as a $20 Game Pack, and an Expansion Pack that focuses on Farming? or something new.

This pack is basically Bon Voyage without all the "extra detail" while removing the extra $20 that Bon Voyage cost.

I imagine they are saving the Cruise Ship idea they had in the survey for an Expansion Pack :)

So according to this made up theory, you are going to end up spending 20 dollars per season (60 dollars total in all), and just because it's old content and that's ok? You brought up Pets. Did you know that they were actually planning on splitting the Pets EP into a pack for horses, a pack for dogs, and a pack for cats? This was found through surveys.

As of now, we have no clue of whether or not expansions are returning. And we definitely can't draw the conclusion that they're going to be reserved for new content, and even if so, that's just a stupid concept.

Then wait untill they anounce things, stop stressing over things that are not even here, unless it's stuff that should in fact be in the base game like the familly trees.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Clearly not. Because I know of more content we are getting outside those dot points.

And what content might that be? This is what I've seen so far, other than the SimsVIP coverage, video clips, and such. Still not worth 20 dollars.

Gameplay:
    -Sims can now take vacations while traveling to special world. If the world is full, a Sim or Sims cannot travel.

Create-a-Sim:
    Male:
    -Bear Costume

Female:
    -Bear Costume

Buy:
    -Tent
    -Cheap Folding Chair
    -Expensive Folding Chair
    -Sky Gazing Mat

-Rustic Picnic Table

-Cooler

-Lantern

-Campfire
    -Rustic Guitar

-Bear Gnome
    -Campground Clutter 1
    -Campground Clutter 2
    -Campground Clutter 3
    -Campground Clutter 4

Build:
    -Tree Stump
    -Poison Ivy Bush
    -Rock Collection

You said the only new features were in those dot points. Now you post this, which is much more.

If you honestly don't think that's worth $20 when you consider EA used to expect people to pay $20 for a Stuff Pack, then I can't help you.
    I mean, we live in an App era where people try to expect $2 purchases in full blown PC games.

For the actual content, it could be $15? but for EA standards, it's cheap. GTA charge customers like $20 for a couple of extra missions. DLC is expensive, because not everyone who bought the original will buy the DLC.

Yes, because that was what's been confirmed. I imagined you were going to try and rebut by using the leaked information, and I posted it to let you know I still think $20 is too much to ask for that.

It's not your job to help me or anyone else. Nobody asked for you to advertise for EA.

Despite the fact we live in a "App era" like you've mentioned, there are still products being published that offer products warranting the price tag. You just don't feed into it, have to be smart with your wallet, and you can't have the mentality of a young 12 year old who asks his mommy for 500 in-game coins so he can watch a house being built faster in his grindy, time consuming app.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    To OP:

Think of it this way.

Then wait untill they anounce things, stop stressing over things that are not even here, unless it's stuff that should in fact be in the base game like the familly trees.

I'm putting in my two cents. Just as OP rushed to the spot to say what it's been leaked we are getting is worth the $20 without the announcement, I'm just saying it isn't.
  • Options
    To OP:

To OP:

I'd have to disagree, but it depends on what is in each one. I don't myself consider it a flop yet, since I put in over 600 hours of playtime before shelving it for a while, which is plenty for what I paid for the base game. But it does need a lot of new content to stay interesting, and the only way that is going to happen is with these packs and eps.
    The only way to determine if it "flopped" is to look at the sales. Not your personal experiences.

There are plenty of terrible games that sell well too. And flop games that are amazing.

Sales should never be used to determine how good a game is. That would mean the console version of the Sims 2 is better than the PC version, and we all know THAT ain't right :p
    Are you sure The Sims 4 is really good? Why did they removed a lot stuff? Why is it so incomplete and boring? Why are they just starting to bring them all back? Why did it go on sale too early? Why did it not sell well?

Wwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy?

It depends on the kind of Simmer you are. I think it's really good, and lots of other people do as well.
    Lots of other people think it's bad too.

Unlike the previous games, it focuses more in other area's, while family players were kind of overlooked. And goal orientated Simmers were treated really nicely. Unlike Sims 3 where Goal Oriented Simmers were mostly ignored, except for WA.

Each game focuses on something different, and The Sims 4 made the mistake of focusing on things only a small amount of Simmers care about.
    And that's why it's hated a lot.
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    20$ for me is a pretty good deal (for me anyway lol). Though we will have to wait til friday to see what this announcement is about, but I like the idea of camping :) I like doing it in rl so it would be pretty cool to have in the game.
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Gameplay:

Create-a-Sim:
    Male:
    -Bear Costume

Female:
    -Bear Costume

Buy:
    -Tent
    -Cheap Folding Chair
    -Expensive Folding Chair
    -Sky Gazing Mat

-Rustic Picnic Table

-Cooler

-Lantern

-Campfire
    -Rustic Guitar

-Bear Gnome
    -Campground Clutter 1
    -Campground Clutter 2
    -Campground Clutter 3
    -Campground Clutter 4

Build:
    -Tree Stump
    -Poison Ivy Bush
    -Rock Collection

Yes, because that was what's been confirmed. I imagined you were going to try and rebut by using the leaked information, and I posted it to let you know I still think $20 is too much to ask for that.

It's not your job to help me or anyone else. Nobody asked for you to advertise for EA.

Despite the fact we live in a "App era" like you've mentioned, there are still products being published that offer products warranting the price tag. You just don't feed into it, have to be smart with your wallet, and you can't have the mentality of a young 12 year old who asks his mommy for 500 in-game coins so he can watch a house being built faster in his grindy, time consuming app.

Actually nothing has been confirmed if you want to be smart. All of this is leaked info from the game files.
    Yet you loved Bon Voyage which included all this, and only a few extra things, yet charged DOUBLE the price. And that was fine.

I'm just saying no one complained about pricing before, but are now complaining we are getting more for our money than what EA used to provide.
    It's not really about whether you think it's worth $20 in the end anyway, it's more a principle of:

EA are giving us DOUBLE the amount of content than what they used to for $20, and people are still complaining.

I just think it's funny.
  • Options
    mikmakermikmaker Posts: 2,145 Member
    Don't forget a free world is included :D
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    To OP:

To OP:

Wwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy?

It depends on the kind of Simmer you are. I think it's really good, and lots of other people do as well.

Unlike the previous games, it focuses more in other area's, while family players were kind of overlooked. And goal orientated Simmers were treated really nicely. Unlike Sims 3 where Goal Oriented Simmers were mostly ignored, except for WA.

Each game focuses on something different, and The Sims 4 made the mistake of focusing on things only a small amount of Simmers care about.
    Yes exactly.

I don't think individual opinions will matter either. No matter how much you think this "flop game" is the best game for you. If you look at the statistics of the sales, it's pretty clear that the game did "flopped"

But why can't they market it so well? Why didn't appeal to a lot of customers when the past 3 games did? What did they do wrong?

Is it really good for everyone?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    To OP:

Think of it this way.

What are you even on about? The Season comment doesn't make sense at all.

And I don't remember that happening about Pets being split up at all. All the Survey said was:

"Pets:
    Create perfect - or imperfect - pets for your Sims with a wide variety of unique dogs, cats, lizards, rodents, and birds. Teach them tricks and enter them in talent shows, or simply hang out and watch them destroy your neighbor’s yard…more pets means more fun!"

Same old. Hopefully for a $20 Game Pack is what I'm saying.

And it was just a theory. And why is it a stupid idea that Expansions should feature new ideas and Game Packs can be saved for old ones for just $20?

You're complaining about price yet you want to still pay $40 for previous ideas???

I just have no idea what's going through your mind.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    bobyo2001 wrote: »

Stuff Pack is focused on Objects.
    Game Pack is more focused on Gameplay
    And expansion pack focuses on Gameplay and Objects.

This pack on paper, seems to feature all the core Gameplay options of Bon Voyage (which cost $40), without the extra objects like the Food Stands, Island Themed Furniture etc.

Makes sense. You pay $20 for all the new Gameplay options in a EP and $20 for the objects.

---

Anyway, I'll probably wait until I get my new computer before I get this. Also, if Origin has a sale soon, you'll probably be able to get this for under $10, just like the Stuff Packs.
  • Options

Gameplay:

Create-a-Sim:
    Male:
    -Bear Costume

Female:
    -Bear Costume

Buy:
    -Tent
    -Cheap Folding Chair
    -Expensive Folding Chair
    -Sky Gazing Mat

-Rustic Picnic Table

-Cooler

-Lantern

-Campfire
    -Rustic Guitar

-Bear Gnome
    -Campground Clutter 1
    -Campground Clutter 2
    -Campground Clutter 3
    -Campground Clutter 4

Build:
    -Tree Stump
    -Poison Ivy Bush
    -Rock Collection

Actually nothing has been confirmed if you want to be smart. All of this is leaked info from the game files.
    Yet you loved Bon Voyage which included all this, and only a few extra things, yet charged DOUBLE the price. And that was fine.

I'm just saying no one complained about pricing before, but are now complaining we are getting more for our money than what EA used to provide.
    It's not really about whether you think it's worth $20 in the end anyway, it's more a principle of:

EA are giving us DOUBLE the amount of content than what they used to for $20, and people are still complaining.

I just think it's funny.

What are you talking about? LOTS of people have complained about pricing, starting with Sims 3's base game. The expansion packs they were putting out, according to many, weren't worth the price as they weren't fleshed out to the fullest, were buggy, lacked content, etc. The store is a whole 'nother story with its 5 dollars per new object with animations, 25+ dollars for new worlds, etc.

But in almost every instance of people trying to convince others with things regarding TS4, I never see people justify TS4 on its own merits. It's always what EA used to do with TS3, but I already know what they did with TS3 was cheap company behavior at its finest. EA knows if they even attempt to pull what they did with TS3, it will do them no good, and this isn't really a step up.

I just think it's funny people try to advertise for EA. Let EA continue to pay IGN for that! :disagree:
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    I only buy EPs not stuff packs :D

so yeah - do not like.

It's a Game pack. Which means it has game-play features (as in: new activities, interactive objects, possibly even new interactions and sounds like a new world (Granite Falls (?)) and stuff packs just come with decor, hairstyles, and clothing. (:
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    To OP:

To OP:

Wwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy?

Yes exactly.

I don't think individual opinions will matter either. No matter how much you think this "flop game" is the best game for you. If you look at the statistics of the sales, it's pretty clear that the game did "flopped"

But why can't they market it so well? Why didn't appeal to a lot of customers when the past 3 games did? What did they do wrong?

No Sims game is good for everyone. Ask the people that hate The Sims 2 and Sims 3.

Each game focuses on something different.
    The reason why the game flopped is because they focused on a kind of Gameplay that only a small amount of Sim Players like.

That was their mistake.
  • Options

Gameplay:

Create-a-Sim:
    Male:
    -Bear Costume

Female:
    -Bear Costume

Buy:
    -Tent
    -Cheap Folding Chair
    -Expensive Folding Chair
    -Sky Gazing Mat

-Rustic Picnic Table

-Cooler

-Lantern

-Campfire
    -Rustic Guitar

-Bear Gnome
    -Campground Clutter 1
    -Campground Clutter 2
    -Campground Clutter 3
    -Campground Clutter 4

Build:
    -Tree Stump
    -Poison Ivy Bush
    -Rock Collection

I just think it's funny.

What are you talking about? LOTS of people have complained about pricing, starting with Sims 3's base game. The expansion packs they were putting out, according to many, weren't worth the price as they weren't fleshed out to the fullest, were buggy, lacked content, etc. The store is a whole 'nother story with its 5 dollars per new object with animations, 25+ dollars for new worlds, etc.

But in almost every instance of people trying to convince others with things regarding TS4, I never see people justify TS4 on its own merits. It's always what EA used to do with TS3, but I already know what they did with TS3 was cheap company behavior at its finest. EA knows if they even attempt to pull what they did with TS3, it will do them no good, and this isn't really a step up.

I just think it's funny people try to advertise for EA. Let EA continue to pay IGN for that! :disagree:

I know it's all overpriced. trust me, I know.
    It's more the point that we are getting double the content for the same price, and people are acting like it's more expensive.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    So that means we get a new category of packs starting with this? Still, I'd only pay for expansions. That's why I never bought stuff packs for either TS2 or TS3.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    To OP:

To OP:

Wwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy?

Yes exactly.

No Sims game is good for everyone. Ask the people that hate The Sims 2 and Sims 3.
    Notice how I never said any Sims game is good enough for me? Because I won't use it in an argument. It will raise a ton of questions and invalid reasons.

Ok let's recap:

1. Is The Sims 4 a good enough of a game that will sell well? Realistically no.
    2. Is The Sims 4 good enough for you? Yes, you clearly stated that on your post
    3. Is The Sims 4 good enough for everyone? No. About a 2/3 have already turned their backs on their backs on the franchise.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    To OP:

Think of it this way.

What are you even on about? The Season comment doesn't make sense at all.

And I don't remember that happening about Pets being split up at all. All the Survey said was:

"Pets:
    Create perfect - or imperfect - pets for your Sims with a wide variety of unique dogs, cats, lizards, rodents, and birds. Teach them tricks and enter them in talent shows, or simply hang out and watch them destroy your neighbor’s yard…more pets means more fun!"

Same old. Hopefully for a $20 Game Pack is what I'm saying.

And it was just a theory. And why is it a stupid idea that Expansions should feature new ideas and Game Packs can be saved for old ones for just $20?

You're complaining about price yet you want to still pay $40 for previous ideas???

I just have no idea what's going through your mind.

Okay, so I'll explain what I meant into more detail.

You approve of what you theorize EA is doing, splitting old concepts into game packs. Let's use the vacation concept for example. According to your theory, they will release multiple, previous vacation destinations/themed content via game packs. That says, to me, instead of paying for a themed EP surrounding everything to do with vacations, we are going to pay for each little thing separately.

Let's say, after camping, EA releases Twikki Island for 20 dollars, as its an island getaway vacation. Then they release Takemizu Village, another destination featured in TS2, but now in TS4 for 20 dollars. You're fine with spending 60 dollars total (including camping) for old content, when we SHOULD have gotten that, cruises, and much more in its own vacation EP priced, max, at 50 dollars?

Now I applied that concept to 3 pet species, as you used the 3 vacation destinations. Because Pets (including horses, dogs, and cats) are old content and have exclusive content to go along with them, according to your theory *AND* the survey, they will be split up into their own respective game packs.

The survey you took the Pets information isn't what I was referring to. Read this: http://thesims4blogger.tumblr.com/post/82559538577/new-official-sim-4-survey-reveals-possible-content

If you notice, they have dogs categorized as their OWN game pack within the survey. So, assuming that actually happens and all game packs go for 20 dollars each, we will be spending 20 dollars for each pet species (dog, cat, horse). 60 dollars total.

Now, I went further and said that that opens the door for them to charge 20 dollars for each season, rather than make seasons its own EP. Again, just as each vacation destination cost 20 dollars and had its own exclusive content to go with it, it opens the door for them to do the same exact thing with seasons. And if they do 20 dollars per season, well, that's 80 dollars.

Rather than take a central theme or concept and just fill it to the brim with EVERYTHING; old content, new content, recycled content, etc., they are going to just split as much content as they can into packs and try to maximize profits. It's shady and no better than having a store.

What they SHOULD do is have expansions, then split the expansions themselves into pieces to let picky people pick and choose what they want, without buying the whole expansion itself.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited December 2014
    Notice how I never said any Sims game is good enough for me? Because I won't use it in an argument. It will raise a ton of questions and invalid reasons.

Ok let's recap:

3. Is The Sims 4 good enough for everyone? No. About a 2/3 have already turned their backs on their backs on the franchise.

whether the game pack is worth it will be decided by people who did buy The Sims 4, and not by those that didn't. How many sales it had for the base game is irrelevant to the discussion in my opinion.
  • Options
    mirta000 wrote: »

Ok let's recap:

whether the game pack is worth it will be decided by people who did buy The Sims 4, and not by those that didn't. How many sales it had for the base game is irrelevant to the discussion in my opinion.
    Where did you get that idea? Are you telling me than an outside source can't be trusted? Are you just gonna ignore it? Is that what you're doing? Ignoring?

But you see, it does matter to the discussion that us three have been talking about. Refer to my old posts on this thread.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited December 2014
    Where did you get that idea? Are you telling me than an outside source can't be trusted? Are you just gonna ignore it? Is that what you're doing? Ignoring?

But you see, it does matter to the discussion that us three have been talking about. Refer to my old posts on this thread.

the question is
    "is a game pack worth 20 dollars?"
    people that don't have The Sims 4, won't buy the game pack, therefore is an irrelevant demographic. Same way that people that didn't own The Sims 3, didn't buy expansion packs for The Sims 3
    How many copies The Sims 4 sold would be on topic if we were talking is The Sims 4 worth the price.