Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In-Game Pulsating Popup Packs Ad: Community Reacts

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited March 1
    I just opened my game today and found the trolley mentioned. I have all the packs. I clicked on the trolley to see what was being complained about and it told me that I had everything but did NOT send me to a shop to buy Tshirts or anything else.

It was about buying new or packs you don't have yet. It might even let you know of cheap sales you were looking out for.

I don't see much wrong with it myself. I start my game directly from a Sims4 icon on my Taskbar and don't go through the EA games portal at all now.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member
    I turned on my PlayStation and the update automatically installed. I do have a cart, but it does not pulse and there is no light on it. If I click on the cart, it tells me that I own all the packs, but that there might be more. I do not own the new Crystal Creations, and I do not own all the kits, but I own all of the older EPs, GPs and SPs.

What is in my game TONIGHT will not make me sick. I don't know what my game would have been like before the hotfix, and I do not know what it will be like tomorrow, but TONIGHT on PlayStation, owning the packs listed above, my game will not make me sick.

My experience so far with the light as well as the pulse was that it was very inconsistent. I built for a while yesterday and there was no light. Then I restarted the game later and there was a light.

I do not feel safe anymore. I feel like that button could just start flashing at any moment making my game unsafe for me to play. I feel like any upcoming update could do something equally game-changing with no warning. I feel like my game could be stolen at any moment with no warning. So much of playing the Sims is about building and planning and doing things that are for delayed gratification. Investing time to create a world isn't fun if you are worried that you will never get a chance to play in it.

Trust, loyalty, feeling heard, feeling safe are all things that we are feeling less of. Most abused women do not leave the day that they give up hope on their marriage. Most stay a bit longer and plot and plan their next move and wait for the most convenient and safest time to make their exit. EA has crossed a line with some of us. Now isn't the best time for us to leave, but some of us are plotting and planning futures that do not include staying with the Sims. This marriage is over even if we are still loading our games and buying DLC. We can be won back, but ... that will require something that no one is expecting.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,349 Member
    edited March 1
    @EA_Cade I wrote this post over in @Lenny_Ogg 's poll about whether we will still buy the Crystal Creations pack in light of the marketing button issue. I don't want you to have to run all over the forum trying to find all of our comments about this stuff, so I am re-posting my comment here. I would appreciate it if those in charge of the ultimate decision on this button would really think deeply about the emotional stress the community is going through, especially within the already existing stress of many recent packs not working well on release and the recent news of this forum shutting down. This feels like a "last straw" issue for a lot of players. And I think that matters. For me, it creates a real dilemma that affects how I feel about things going forward. And being put in that dilemma, itself, generates bad feelings that give me hesitation about future purchases.

The question posed in the poll was whether players still did/or still plan to buy the new pack.

Re-posted:
    I won the pack free in @simgirl1010 's giveaway. At some point, I will download and install it. It may be a while though.

The issue with the button having distracting "animations" is a problem for me, so I am waiting to see what happens with that. I'm hoping EA will at least just make it be a normal button with no irritating animations. And if they don't, after so many people talking about why the animations are problematic for them, it really will feel very cold to me. I think they should at least respect us and our feedback on this part of the issue.

As for the button itself, I think it is a pointless feature to have in the game. Even if players use it to purchase content, they will still need to shut down and restart the game to see the content in the game. So I don't see that it really gives any benefit of convenience to the players. I'm willing to tolerate that it exists (I only want it to not irritate, interrupt, or distract me in any way). But I completely understand the emotions people have expressed about the insult of this aggressive and intrusive marketing in-game. Because I do feel that as well. And I am very worried that it will cause players, story writers, and modders whose content I enjoy to quit. This concerns me more than my own feeling about the issue.

So I am in favor of it being removed entirely.

Sims 4 is the only game I have ever actually liked enough to play more than a few hours. I have tried many other games in many other genres, but none of them hold my interest like the sims. I have spent a lot of money on it, but I've also put in thousands of hours of play time, and really enjoy it as a fun pastime as well as a serious creative outlet, so I have always felt it was money well spent. I'm definitely not going to just walk away entirely. But the question remains, to what extent I will choose buy anything new in the future... and I really don't know.

One of the mods that removes the button is a mod I already use (Better Build Buy), so I am now contemplating what it means to me to simply take that and move on. I won't lie, the decision of "will I ever buy another pack if they don't do what I want on this issue" is a really tough one for me to make. But it will definitely become a part of the equation. It makes me hesitant to purchase more content, but does it stop me entirely..? I am too tired and too emotional right now to make that kind of long term decision.

But because I am holding off on updating my game right now (to avoid the irritating animations on the button, and to think about what this all means to me), I literally can't purchase anything new, and I think EA should think about that.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    We know HOW to buy packs. EA needs to make us WANT to buy them now.

Please remove the shopping cart.

When I think of all of the things that simmers have asked and hoped for over these years, I've never once read anything about not being able to wait for that "in-game shopping cart!" There have been so many debates and defenses given for the state of the game through the years -- from everything as to why "animations are recycled" ("to save money") to why the base game itself was so lacking compared to even older sims' games ("TS4 was intended to be an online game, so it wasn't a good foundation to build on"). And yet, here we are. How many years later? Is there no way to keep up with the game and simmers' wants/needs without tacking on some excuse?

I really, really want to understand how someone who has some power to make some change in the game chooses to prioritize sales of the game by incorporating a cart button over investing in and creating a better game. There is flawed logic in thinking that in-game shopping carts breed loyalty to a brand. For one thing, there has to be perceived value. It really is short-sighted to throw that cart at simmers when packs have been releasing in the state they have been released.

And before anyone can jump in to state that "there are different departments and sales is not game development so it doesn't take away anything from game development to throw that cart button in there," I simply ask, "why not just focus on building a better game?" Problem solved for simmers (who get the game they love to play) and for the money-makers (who get the bucks from having produced a product that gamers love).

Bottom line for me is if EA isn't investing in us simmers, why should I invest in it?
  • Options
    PhillipaErdnussPhillipaErdnuss Posts: 74 Member
    edited March 1
    There’s an anonymus poll about being ok with the cart-button, yes or no. Made by @Lenny_Ogg
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1013115/are-you-ok-with-that-cart-button
    Maybe you want to make your voice count, too?
    Post edited by PhillipaErdnuss on
    Phillipa Erdnuss
    Mayoress of SimCity and all associated districts
    Let this cart-button disappear!
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    There’s an anonymus poll about being ok with the cart-button, yes or no.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1013115/are-you-ok-with-that-cart-button

Can confirm that I just checked and I can't see your votes on my side either. Not that it matters, we wouldn't retaliate against you for voting on a poll.

Keep the feedback coming here or on AHQ here. All of it is being shared.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    PhillipaErdnussPhillipaErdnuss Posts: 74 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: Β»
    There’s an anonymus poll about being ok with the cart-button, yes or no.

Can confirm that I just checked and I can't see your votes on my side either. Not that it matters, we wouldn't retaliate against you for voting on a poll.

Keep the feedback coming here or on AHQ here. All of it is being shared.

@EA_Cade very thoughtful of you! ❀️I hope this encourages even more people to vote!
    Phillipa Erdnuss
    Mayoress of SimCity and all associated districts
    Let this cart-button disappear!
  • Options
    budget_zendayabudget_zendaya Posts: 42 Member
    Even if the obnoxious flashing is changed, the button should still be removed. I was going to buy Crystal Creations when it came out but I don't want to update my game in case I end up with the button cluttering my UI. On a practical level, not only is the flashing a disability issue, but the button is placed in an already crowded part of the UI. I mostly like the streamlined UI of The Sims 4, but I still often hit the manage worlds button or open the gallery when I don't mean to, so adding it in that top right corner makes it even more obnoxious and intrusive.

On an ethical level, the button is insulting at best and predatory at worst. The Sims 4 with DLC is a very expensive game, and we already see ads for said DLC every time we open the game. For any player who has already bought DLC, it's extremely insulting to be actively playing and have a button prompting you to spend EVEN MORE money. For those playing the base game for free, it's also insulting and possibly deceptive. If EA is worried about getting money out of free players, maybe they should focus on selling packs that work? And are worth their price to the consumer? We know that at the time of this update, there are several pack related bugs being worked on. If packs like Dine Out or For Rent don't function properly or corrupt save data, the fact that you'd prioritizing advertising them in-game over actually fixing them is the ultimate insult and is blatantly anti-consumer. I don't want to update my game until it is removed, and won't be buying any more DLC as a result.
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    ………….

Yeah, guess I won’t be updating anytime soon. The button needs to be gone entirely or moved. I can’t play my game with any type of flashing things. The calendar is torture enough and I don’t know how I put up with it. This is over the maximum.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    @83bienchen doesn't feel safe. In fact she feels ripped to the bone.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I am glad for all you PC players that mods are being released.

You could try cover it with a sticker on your screen. At least you won't see the flashing light. :lol:
  • Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited March 1
    1. EA gives us an annoying blinking cart button.
    2. We hate it.
    3. We meet in the middle, the blinking is gone but the button stays -.-

Maybe it's a testrun for Project Rene

This somehow reminds me of the haggle scene from 'The Life of Brian'.
    Just what EA does is not funny.
    MontyPythonsLifeOfBrian-Ji6I7G54-subtitled.jpg
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    Breathe_No_MoreBreathe_No_More Posts: 174 Member
    I did not play yesterday, and the day before I have just seen the cart but it didn't do anything weird. I don't like it being there, to be honest, I have spent quite an amount of money on the game, I do own every EP, but a few GPs and SPs are missing and I am still willing to buy more. But the cart feels offensive. I really tolerate a lot, but some lines should not be crossed.
    Especially - what happened today when I was playing - when that card is pulsating. It did not do this all the time, but it only stopped when I was clicking on it, so it kind of forced me to do that, and that is something I am not willing to tolerate. Like mentioned earlier in this thread, I have some problems with things that are moving or flickering uncontrolled, e.g. like GIFs. I absolutely cannot look at them for too long, and my game shouldn't be doing that. No, just no.
    Please remove this button. Be sure that everyone who really enjoys the game is willing to buy DLCs and if not, please accept that they also have their reasons to not do so.
  • Options
    1. EA gives us an annoying blinking cart button.
    2. We hate it.
    3. We meet in the middle, the blinking is gone but the button stays -.-

That's how negotiations usually go. The flashing light is there just so they appear to be making a concession when they remove it when all they really wanted was the cart button in game.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited March 1
    I am glad for all you PC players that mods are being released.

You could try cover it with a sticker on your screen. At least you won't see the flashing light. :lol:
    You are genius I will so do that if it appears in my game

cover it with pikachu sticker or something
    or we could have mod that replaces the button with vlads face

really hope its gone before I have to start using mods though i really don't want to get back into the mod game
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member
    The non-pulsating non-lit button is like a muzzled animal. I don't trust it to stay dormant.

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    I just don't understand why they want to add this cart button so bad when they have all the proof that the players hate it

its like selling meat at vegan food festival
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Ok, loaded up my game, and now I could swear that that cart button has always been in game. Not flashing, but it's been there since forever. :lol:
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    Ok, loaded up my game, and now I could swear that that cart button has always been in game. Not flashing, but it's been there since forever. :lol:

Stop it croco, you're imagining things. Please help us out here. We need to keep on fighting for the greater good.
    Or do you want to play with the freezer bunny stickers instead? 😜
  • Options

Stop it croco, you're imagining things. Please help us out here. We need to keep on fighting for the greater good.

I could use some freezer bunny nail tattoos. :lol: That button has always been there. :neutral:
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

I could use some freezer bunny nail tattoos. :lol: That button has always been there. :neutral:

It can't have been, or I would have accidentally clicked on it a half dozen times by now when trying to open the gallery.
  • Options

It can't have been, or I would have accidentally clicked on it a half dozen times by now when trying to open the gallery.

Not really, it's the same as the other buttons. You just need to look where you click.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

Not really, it's the same as the other buttons. You just need to look where you click.

That's my point. I'm regularly hitting the manage worlds button when I mean to hit the build/live mode button and vice versa. So if the cart had been there for a while, I would have noticed it by accidentally opening it a few times when I meant to go to the gallery by clicking without paying attention. And if I was paying attention, I would have noticed it before.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,349 Member
    I am still on patch 1.103.315.1020. The button does not exist in this version. Also, its introduction was in the notes for patch 1.105.297.1030.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options

That's my point. I'm regularly hitting the manage worlds button when I mean to hit the build/live mode button and vice versa. So if the cart had been there for a while, I would have noticed it by accidentally opening it a few times when I meant to go to the gallery by clicking without paying attention. And if I was paying attention, I would have noticed it before.

Maybe it looks that way because it's well integrated into the interface, but if people hadn't pointed it out, I couldn't tell that button hasn't always been there. :lol: