Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's Something You Always Do In Your Sims Games?

Comments

• Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    edited January 2023
    Newly created and teen Sims always get skills cheated, because I find it totally unrealistic that a child ages up into a teen without any life skills or that an adult Sim wouldn't have any skills either.

My occult Sims, especially Vampires, get cheat codes added to them to ensure I can just enjoy playing them without having to worry about things like burning up in daylight, and also so I can control what hidden traits they might end up with.

All my Sims have the 'beloved' trait so I don't have to worry about relationship decay as much.

I cheat needs, especially for Sims that are at work, and because I tend to have large family groups that I'd rather have doing stuff besides just the daily ablutions et al.

I only play occult Sims so all my Sims become occults pretty much straight away, unless of course they're born that way.

I don't play premades, except if I happen to have one marry into the family.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,448 Member
    I always give my sims the "observent" reward trait as their first one. I also always give them wind turbines, dew collectors and solar panels when they have the money.
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    Their all famous.
  • Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    Jump on that garden treadmill. Start with the basics like apples, lemons, strawberries, garlic and a few herbs. Water and weed frequently, harvest and use as fertiliser. Home grown food is great stuff.

I also scatter garlic bulbs near the front door to alert me to nearby vampires. No bloodsucking ectoparasites allowed.
  • Options
    LiebeslottchenLiebeslottchen Posts: 69 Member
    - Use money cheats for the start
    - Buy, harvest or grow fruits & vegetables in order to cook with fresh ingredients
    - Stop Sims from aging
  • Options
    notetoself00xnotetoself00x Posts: 499 Member
    edited January 2023
    First i set up my game settings, then I go through all menus for my sims/household (the sim, the mailbox, the computer etc) for all of my mod settings for the file and for each sim.

Once I have everything set the way I want - mods, aging, season length, everything - I move on!

Then I set up the calendar with holidays and stuff. I am extra with all of that lol.

I set up their home. I usually only use starter funds or they start with nothing because I like the struggle lol. I never cheat money, skills, rewards. They always start from scratch. I even have a hard time letting them keep starting funds even if it isnt a rags to riches, and I have them paying back loans w/ interest for every simoleon they started with 😂 choose lot traits and challenges, etc. I like the simple living one or parallel in mods where i have to either grow or buy ingredients.

All kids are born in-game. For some reason I can never start with kids. I looove family gameplay but I am just very into the whole "starting the file at the BEGINNING of their story" like i can never get comfy with starting a family that has already progressed or has money or things or skills lol. Unless it is very important to storytelling

Once my home is set up I make sure there's a few key items always:
    -thermostat if they can afford it or any other heating/cooling things they might need
    -umbrellas set up
    -vacuum & laundry set up. I make this mandatory lol
    -everything i need for my custom recipe mods is purchased and set out where it needs to be
    -lighting is set the way i want it
    -photos! I am a huuuge storyteller and having photos is one of my musts! I literally go into a separate file, age the family backwards, set up scenarios and everything else, just to get good family photos so it looks like theyve been around forever lol. I also get whatever i need for taking more photos as the game begins. Cameras, flashdrives (mod) and all of that.

Then I go into the world map and add/delete/change lots as needed throughout the world. Adding family members or friends too if needed. I always make sure all the places i want to go are in world and ready, and everywhere has a thermostat!

Then I press play and I immediately do whatever is needed for my mods starting out. I use snb bills to set up utilities, i open their bank accounts, i get them their jobs, i claim their beds, I get them vaccinated and go to all their checkups if needed (dr, dentist, eyedoc), get their subway passes or drivers licenses, all the things.

Then i will usually save as, and that is the start point for that particular file. And im good to begin!

Ps - i have my general starting point save file with a world set up in depth with lots i normally like to have and the calendar holidays set up the way i normally use them. So this is my starting point for new games and it is a huuuge time saver even if i change a few things. So much easier than doing this from scratch every time.

• Options
    TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    Ps - i have my general starting point save file with a world set up in depth with lots i normally like to have and the calendar holidays set up the way i normally use them. So this is my starting point for new games and it is a huuuge time saver even if i change a few things. So much easier than doing this from scratch every time.

I do the same with a starting point save file because it can take me a good 2 days to get everything set up to my liking.
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited January 2023
    Anymore:

Boot out all premade Sims with MCCC. If I have an existing character or household I like, chances are I've already saved them to the gallery. I move them in when I populate the worlds with my own Sims that either I created or downloaded from the Gallery.

Develop Newcrest as to where it's the center of business that includes shops and restaurants.

I tend to also humanize and/or delete pretty much all of the occults.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member

I was going to do that at one point but I kept forgetting. Next new save, maybe.

Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    edited January 2023
    So I mostly play rotationally with one main save, so the world, lots, calendar, other households are generally in pretty good shape already whenever I start a new household. And all of my households are very different, so there aren't too many things that I do exactly the same. But I suppose there are a few things:

(1) I never cheat skills.

(2) I only use freerealestate if my backstory for a household is that they are wealthy or upper-middle class. Which is... maybe 5-10% of my households?

(3) I have the simple living challenge for most of my suburban and rural households, though not usually for the San Myshuno households. Consequently, I will usually order groceries on the first day and look for harvestables in the neighborhood.

(4) As soon as the Spice Festival comes up, every household goes for free harvestables and purchases some combination or all of the spices from the vendor, along with bubbles for the kids or any childish teens or adults.

(5) On the first day, all teens and kids do their homework, clean up dishes, etc., and this continues from there on out.

(6) I always have sims cook salads/fruit salads only for the first couple of days so they don't set the house on fire. Unless I want them to set the house on fire. >:)

(7) I always start the house out with a thermostat and umbrella stand, and have them select umbrellas the first day.

(8) If there are kids, I usually buy them the doctor/bear toys, as it seems to be the best way to build empathy. Unless I want them to be terrible little monsters.

(9) For more financially constrained households, my first splurge item is usually a coffee pot, but after that, it's a yoga mat. Most of my sims do yoga, and I try to get them to Wellness level 2 at least, as early as possible.

(10) I'd say the vast majority of my sims garden to some extent. Even the ones that don't have a serious garden will usually have at least one flower in an indoor pot.

(11) I give all of my sims a pretty extensive set of likes and dislikes, particularly for favorite colors and musical genres. If we ever get the option to add a favorite food or type of food-- and I really hope we do!-- all of my sims will definitely have one.

(12) I almost always have my sims (children through elder) join or start at least one club on the first day, so they can call to chat or invite over at least one other sim to start befriending right away.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,848 Member
    - I always give my sims the carefree trait.

- Every sims gets an upgrade to their bed, oven, refrigerator, shower, and sofa. I want them to have something that won't constantly give them uncomfortable moodlets. I don't necessarily give them the very best unless it fits the story, but that item will be at least a mid-range option.

- Every time I build or redecorate a house I start with the kitchen. I love kitchens in real life and I carry that into the game as well. I dislike small kitchens so I start with that room and get it setup just the way I like it and then adapt the other rooms to fit the space that's left.

- I always play with aging switched off. I age kids up myself when I feel like it's time, usually after they've maxed their skills for that life stage. I come up with all sorts of outlandish reasons why young adults never become adults and adults never become elders.

• Options
    kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    I always start out on an empty lot and cheat my money down to 0. Have played this way since sims 3. I never start out with more than one sims.
  • Options
    CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    edited January 2023
    * Adjust the in game clock to be slower.

* I play the entirety of the neighborhood, I love premades and I will also download all of the maxis made sims from the gallery. This is a must. All of these sims have to be in any new game. It is the only real setting up that I do for a brand new save.

* Every household gets the simple living, and reduce and recycle lot trait. They get a laundry setup, a thermostat and also a vacuum. All lots have appropriate traits, some helpful, some challenging. (Could we have more of those please)

* Everyone joins a club. All coworkers, friends and family have their respective clubs also.

* There are lots dedicated to collections and a community garden in every single save. I have never managed to finish these, but the idea came from Animal Crossing where your collectibles are stored in a museum. This is a collective effort from every sim in the world. All can contribute. (Could we please store fish in tanks on public lots Maxis? Pretty please ;)).

* All popular libraries get a free donation from every sims writer, so all sims can read all of their books. The emotional books are the funniest and most satisfying to watch others read.

* There is a cemetary lot.

* I don't use cheats, but if they are very succesful (or tamed the motherplant), sims can potentially live a very - very long life. I have no qualms using the reward potions to pull all-nighters or fix a bunch of annoying moodlets. As long as they have the points ;)
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited January 2023
    I set up the house the way I want, within their budget. I double check to be sure there is a fire alarm. ;) I rarely use the Motherlode cheat these days. I like the idea of the Millionaire Scenario, but grinding away to get that much gets dull. I wish we could assign an amount to aim for.

Everybody gets a yoga mat. I try to give them a chess board when possible. I start them skilling as soon as I can. A lot of my sims paint and I sell everything I can on Plopsy. It takes longer to sell the item, but the money is worth it. I get the woodbench they use for handiness skill so I can raise that skill and make cheap furniture.

I've begun to realize a radio is more important than a TV, and a lot cheaper besides. They can listen to music and/or dance to get happy.

As money comes in I will upgrade items and add more furniture.

Vampires always get an umbrella stand, and I hover over them quite a bit to keep them from frying in the sun while I level them up. For me the sun immunity ability is a must. I cannot understand why they will burn to death when they are two steps from the house.

I play with aging off and neighborhood stories disabled.

edited to add the last 2 paragraphs.
  • Options
    Darkshadow608Darkshadow608 Posts: 156 Member
    I always play every save differently and with different goals, although I always start on an empty (or bulldozed) lot and cheat the money down to 0. They make money in their own ways which match their personalities or occult type. I never let them get a job. They build the house up as their funds increase.

What I do always do, in cas, is is when I create my sim in everyday mode and am satisfied with that, their hairstyle remains exactly the same for every other outfit. I hate having to change hairstyles for different outfit categories. I want them to always look the same from the shoulders up. Jewelry and makeup excluded, this changes with every outfit.

And I only ever play occults. Always.
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,970 Member
    My Sims mostly have the same hairstyle for every outfit. But sometimes I’ll have Sims with long hair tie it up for working out or swimming.
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited February 2023
    I might be in the minority but I don´t use cheats. I always start from the basics and Sims are naturally earning all their skills, resources and simeleons by their work. I also love challenges so most my saves are based on a challenge by me or others. My first step is to create a sim who has "backround story" and personality. Then I choose colorscheme for them and decorating style for their home. The skills almost all of my household/families get maxed by doing/reading about them are cooking, baking, knitting, gardening, flower arrangement, candle making, painting and handiness. I love cooking and food in the game so there always a sims with great cooking and baking talents in my all saves. Then the next step in most cases is starting a family and most of my sims have children. I like that they all are different and usually choose their personality traits different than the other sibling has. I usually choose color scheme for the babies too after they become toddler. choosing their favorite colors, activities, music etc. gives them more character and depth. I do have few saves with single sims but thats rare. I have a flower arranger who holds a gardening shop and a bakery owner who are singles. My favorite save is a rotational save where i have placed many Sims I created and they all have unique character and backstory. Their lives tie together in fun ways. Such as the gardener/flower arranger sells things to the bakery owner and they are friends etc.
    Post edited by Jadeleine on
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    I always start a new file with the Rags to Riches challenge and give the sim I’ll be playing the clumsy, art lover, vegan or lactose intolerant traits to not deal with a bunch of moodlets.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    edited January 2023
    cyncie wrote: »
    I always start a new sim with some skills cheated in. They did not get to be an adult without knowing how to cook a basic meal or do basic repairs on the bathroom.

This exactly. I also always flag my sims and any sims they are close to, to not change their physique with MCC. Also with MCC I always have CAS full edit mode enabled, and cheats always on. Any new save I create also gets custom holidays as of late. Other than that things can vary.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    My Sims mostly have the same hairstyle for every outfit. But sometimes I’ll have Sims with long hair tie it up for working out or swimming.

Oh, yeah! I totally do this, too! And even when I switch hairstyles between outfits, the basic cut has to match. Like if the everyday hairstyle is long, down, bangs, then workout might be a low ponytail and formal might be a complicated updo, but they still both have bangs and what appears to be a similar length.
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    -start a new legacy/challenge in an old save
    -get toddlers to level 3 in all skills
    -randomize traits
    -pick aspirations based on traits
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    @Jadeleine Oh I'm with you on the cheats thing. I use cheats liberally to set up NPCs but not for the families I'm playing.
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    if the everyday hairstyle is long, down, bangs, then workout might be a low ponytail and formal might be a complicated updo, but they still both have bangs and what appears to be a similar length.

Same here. I wish there were a "with bangs/without bangs" filter for the hairstyles.
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I like to add pets to premade households, just feel so much more realistic for sims in all worlds to have pets. If I'm not playing a challenge and I'm more so storytelling, I do tend to use a lot of cheats for skills, aspirations and reward traits
  • Options
    honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    i always customize the pack and gameplay settings, neighborhood stories, "lock door for," and "computer security settings." i also always edit and add holidays, plop down a restaurant somewhere in town, cheat money way down because i like the struggle, and do the welcome wagon to meet the neighbors. i also love taking "move-in day" screenshots even in rags to riches saves.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    honeywitch wrote: »
    i always customize the pack and gameplay settings, neighborhood stories, "lock door for," and "computer security settings." i also always edit and add holidays, plop down a restaurant somewhere in town, cheat money way down because i like the struggle, and do the welcome wagon to meet the neighbors. i also love taking "move-in day" screenshots even in rags to riches saves.

Oh yes, the computer settings for me too. I hate it when a guest comes over and just goes straight on the PC. So annoying!