The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which design aspect are you better or more comfortable with?

When building (came up with this poll idea from a post in my last poll), which aspect are you better with building/decorating?

Which design aspect are you better or more comfortable with? 173 votes

Exterior
14%
CK213GalacticGalEndlessSims3KelleygirlelanorbretonFlashMarkerNinoosimgc6164PenguinFoopQueenMercyOldeseadoggeMDianaSimsColton147147filipomelEvie0602haisinSimmingalCaprianaBAdmiral8QStuffyMarx 25 votes
Interior
78%
Akl500Pcrocobauraauroraael14Nh6650Kita5399IcewolfgrevilliablueCabelle1863Omri147rudolphaColorist40TheSpotted_CmcruddAlainar415haneulMariefoxprice83simgirl1010Paigeisin5friendlysimmersmildredalien 136 votes
Landscaping
6%
SnuffyBucketMagdaleenaDarkLady2788simsinmysleepphantasmkissSorak4ThriorjoRN1414EllupelluelluGilbertStrangePennyMoonlightGrahamDiassa 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,774 Member
    Interior
    Mostly I hate roofs. And other people are much better with eaves and columns and such than I am so I download houses and change the interiors. Most houses on the gallery have excessive landscaping so I'm mostly just deleting stuff to bring the price of the lot down for my sims.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited July 2022
    Landscaping
    I picked Landscaping, and it's not even close. That reflects my real-life abilities, too.

I love observing and learning about architecture, but I'm no good at designing or building in The Sims. In terms of interior design, I know what I like, but it's harder for me to take it from my brain to the room. The same is true in-game. I enjoy designing and creating outdoor spaces, and I like these activities in the game, too. While it's fun to watch trees grow and help gardens emerge, it's also fun to put mature trees and established gardens on a lot and enjoy them immediately. :)
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    DollhouseMakerDollhouseMaker Posts: 9 New Member
    Exterior
    Exterior. I build all my own stuff. But i do lean on a lot of inspiration from other builds for the interiors. In real life, interiors are so fun but in the sims 4, without a color wheel or much creative freedom, its really daunting.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited July 2022
    Exterior
    well tbh idk considering i use references for exterior none for interior

but due to that interior is almost always more struggle and headache cause i have to fit it all in build i just made

sure as heck it aint the landscaping tho because thats just pure chaos to figure out unless i have some clues around neighborhood what to place there but even then never as good as it could be if i knew how to landscape :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    Interior
    I decorate from the perspective of the person who lives in the home/room, and it's easier to get into that mindset than it is for me to figure out the shell's aesthetic or the landscape.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    PuzzlingMysteryPuzzlingMystery Posts: 166 Member
    Interior
    Oh, definitely the interior.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,177 Member
    Interior
    I'm even more of a redecorator than I am a renovator. I can happily get engrossed for days redecorating houses and apartments.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Interior
    I'm not that good at any but if I have to pick I will go with interior.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,336 Member
    Interior
    I very rarely even attempt to build from scratch. The majority of my lots are downloaded from the Gallery and then I'll redecorate. Occasionally I'll adjust a wall, add a room, or resize a room.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,436 Member
    Interior
    Like @KyreRoen said, I decorate the inside according to who is going to live there and what I imagined their style would be.

I love an amazing house with curb appeal and beautiful landscaping, in RL and Sims, but I'm not the person who can create that.

So when I go searching for a house to D/L the outside MUST be pleasing to the eye with landscaping and decor in order for me to actually consider D/L'ing it cause landscaping is just not something I enjoy at all.

But, I'm pretty simple too and I don't like anything too too toooooo over-the-top either. I just prefer your normal, typically well-kept suburban house that's nicely landscaped.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Interior
    Horrible at exterior that's why I usually download lots just for the outside build then I redo the entire inside. Not especially good at landscaping but I can throw together a few swamps and forests 😅😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    Interior
    - Interior
    - Exterior (only if I have a shell to work with)
    - Landscaping

Landscaping can be fun. I've learned things just fall into place naturally if you look at the landscaping outside of the lot. Fill in the obvious empty areas. Frame the house with plants. If all else fails you can make a garden bed and slap down a bush or two.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,128 Member
    Interior
    I really have no clue when it comes to landscaping.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,132 Member
    Interior
    It really depends. Floorplanning is something I struggle with but decorating is really fun for me. Especially when I already have a plan in mind. Decorating a house always starts with a rug for me. I use it to decide on the walls, flooring and furniture.

I also love landscaping. I used to hate it but now I find it relaxing. Especially painting terrain. You could have a really basic house but with good landscaping, it could change the whole house. I agree with @SimplyJen, taking elements from the surrounding area really helps make the lot look like it belongs.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,179 Member
    Exterior
    I love building the actual structure. So I guess that's exterior? I have also recently rediscovered how much I enjoy landscaping. Interiors I can do, and they certainly don't look bad, it just doesn't spark as much joy.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,539 Member
    Interior
    I love decorating the interiors, there are so many lovely options.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,417 Member
    Exterior and interior. Exterior is hard for sure, but also so satifying! I often do it somewhat simultaneously with interios, planning where the furniture would go and how the floorplan will be. I love coming up with my own layouts that make sense gameplay wise. I do also enjoy decorating, picking the colours and choosing final touches, it's more relaxing as the exterior building can be quite intense. I don't feel that landscaping is my strength.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited July 2022
    Exterior
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    - Interior
    - Exterior (only if I have a shell to work with)
    - Landscaping

Landscaping can be fun. I've learned things just fall into place naturally if you look at the landscaping outside of the lot. Fill in the obvious empty areas. Frame the house with plants. If all else fails you can make a garden bed and slap down a bush or two.

yeah i mean landscaping is fun but everytime i make something i cant help but notice that the grass is greener on the other builders lawns :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    duriankindduriankind Posts: 62 Member
    Interior
    I’m definitely better at interior overall, I think. I do fancy myself a decent builder and I’ve built some houses that I’m genuinely proud of, however I know I’m nowhere near the level of a lot of people out there who make legitimately jaw-dropping and creative exteriors with amazing landscaping, lol. Landscaping in particular I’m god-awful at, I always save that part in my builds for last and dread it, haha.
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
    check out my gallery page
    ⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶⊶
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 954 Member
    Exterior
    Aaagh I picked the wrong one, it should've been landscaping. I don't like designing interiors or exteriors too much, but landscaping is okay. I quite like making ponds and planting bushes and flowers and I think I can make it look pretty nice.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Interior
    I'm useless at exteriors and floorplans, most my builds end up being apartments. Much easier!
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Exterior
    I'm now hiring a construction company. I'll do the external build then pass it to someone who excels at interior who will then pass it to a landscaping guru. We'll rock out the best houses the game has ever seen!!!
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,417 Member
    Interior
    I love doing the interiors. And when I send screenshots to friends, the interiors are what I get the most compliments on. One friend keeps saying she wants me to come redecorate her house irl.

I feel like I'm solid on exteriors. I can build in many different styles (I tend to try and match or compliment the architecture style of the world I'm building in). I know how to use all the build tools, I can do some of the more advanced stuff, and if there is something I want to do that I can't figure out on my own, one time watching a build tutorial on how to do it is generally sufficient for me to learn it. I typically have no trouble with roofs. I think the roofing tool in Sims 4 is way easier to use and more versatile than in Sims 3. But I also don't tend to put as much work into creating really unique exteriors as I do into creating the interiors.

Landscaping.... I struggle to do much beyond clumps of plants and some pathways. I hate using the landscape sculpting tool in sims 4, I just can't get the hang of it, and I usually end up flattening the whole lot in frustration and just adding a small pond, or nothing.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,417 Member
    Interior
    KyreRoen wrote: »
    I decorate from the perspective of the person who lives in the home/room, and it's easier to get into that mindset than it is for me to figure out the shell's aesthetic or the landscape.

I think this is how it is for me too. The interior is where most of the story and personality are. So it's way easier and more fun for me to just intuitively work on it, because I know my sims.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".