Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinion on Werewolf Tails?

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,235 Member
    edited June 2022
    Keep it no tails.
    If you look for Werewolf in Google Images, the result will show several of them without tail.

A human who become a beast, it might be very painful to make a tail appear/disappear each time.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,858 Member
    Clipping tails, please!
    As I learn more about the real reason why tails were left out I'm glad they did. I thought the issue was the clipping, which didn't make sense to worry about. There's already lots of clipping and most of us have become somewhat numb to it. But learning now that it was a resource issue I'm fine without tails.

I want tails, but not at the expense of other cool things that will add to gameplay beyond werewolves. This pack has required a lot of us to compromise our wants and expectations from the days before the reveal. I'm hopeful those compromises are actually going to result in a much better and deeper pack.

AH-OOOOOOO!🌕🐺
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Keep it no tails.
    It's more a source of bugs instead of a gain of gameplay. The laundry list is already full, it doesn't need more.

And you're still free to customize your game with CC.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Clipping tails, please!
    It's more a source of bugs instead of a gain of gameplay.

And you're still free to break your game with CC.

I'll reserve judgment until I see what the cc creators come up with. If they don't animate them then I'm fine without tails. I'm just dying to get our werewolves, the rest is merely sprinkles.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    Keep it no tails.
    Can you imagine the outcry if they had released the game with tails that clipped into everything? It would not have been pretty. One reason I don’t use extreme clothing or creature mods is because of the crazy clipping. Heck, even a lot of regular cc does that. I don’t blame them for making the decision they made. The one thing I will say is that the tail nub isn’t placed well. Tails are an extension of an animal’s spine. The nub should be lower, not at mid back.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Well I would have preferred tails for sure, but knowing the Twitter mob and how they nitpick EVERY.SINGLE.IMPERFECT. thing about the game and new packs, I can understand why they didn't want to feed that nastiness.

I don't ever plan on having my werewolves in clothing, so I personally have no problem with any clipping. And considering the game has routing failures all the time and sims walk through the walls or each other etc. it wouldn't be a big deal to me. But I know some people would find it distracting. Maybe because I played Second Life for soooo many years and you'd sometimes have clipping issues with certain accessories or attachments that it doesn't bother me. So yeah, I will definitely use CC ones if they're ever created.

But as far as what the devs have done instead, I'm ok with "docked" tails (course I'm sure their will still be people complaining about those too).
  • Options
    Loves2draw1812Loves2draw1812 Posts: 168 Member
    Keep it no tails.
    Always think of werewolves as not having a tail, mix of both animal and human features - so no tails for me.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I'm not bothered by it because:

1. Not all mythological and pop culture Werewolves have tails.

2. I would have preferred big beastie Weres, massive and strong with scary wolf heads, tails and animal legs...but I'm completely aware that this is The Sims and all Occults must be humanoid to interact with every object, piece of clothing, and each other properly and that wanting bestial monsters is unrealistic.

3. Clipping looks sloppy and unprofessional, and while that could be okay in an Indy game or when using CC, it doesn't look good on a AAA product and shouldn't be expected of such. Imagine those screenshots being shared all over the internet. It would look like the devs are amateur creators and I'm sure they don't want their work represented that way.

4. The new Werewolves are still a whole lot better than in previous games. They have taken the next logical step in their natural evolution so maybe next time they will have tails and large jaws and padded feet. 😊
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Keep it no tails.
    I can't stand seeing sims clipping into everything, the game already has way to much of it.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited June 2022
    🐸🐸🐸🐸 if they do. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if they don't. You know there would be plenty of people complaining about clipping tails given the option.

The docked tail they already seem to have is fine for my taste.

Pardon the censorship :blush:
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    Keep it no tails.
    Nah, for me, a Werewolf sitting and the tail obviously clipping through the seat would bother me. I prefer the lack of tails. Heck, when I made furry Sims, I still didn't use a tail for them because it was always static and it clipped.
  • Options
    Tanja1986Tanja1986 Posts: 1,237 Member
    Keep it no tails.
    I hate it when things clip through armor pieces in Skyrim, so I am going to say the stubble is all I need for the werewolves! However if modders create mods for this pack I am sure there will be wolves who are more wolf like with tails etc. I am pretty certain someone will even create a new werewolf model for these wolves.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

2. I would have preferred big beastie Weres, massive and strong with scary wolf heads, tails and animal legs...but I'm completely aware that this is The Sims and all Occults must be humanoid to interact with every object, piece of clothing, and each other properly and that wanting bestial monsters is unrealistic.

3. Clipping looks sloppy and unprofessional, and while that could be okay in an Indy game or when using CC, it doesn't look good on a AAA product and shouldn't be expected of such. Imagine those screenshots being shared all over the internet. It would look like the devs are amateur creators and I'm sure they don't want their work represented that way.

4. The new Werewolves are still a whole lot better than in previous games. They have taken the next logical step in their natural evolution so maybe next time they will have tails and large jaws and padded feet. 😊

I second this. I’m sure the team thought long and hard about this one, but it’s too tricky and time consuming for tails to be implemented in the current game design without sacrifice.

If a super complex, physics based procedural animation system had been developed for The Sims 4, the customization tools could have been a lot more robust with a possibility for the player to create anything from tiny beasts to huge monsters with 3 to 6 tails, two heads, long snouts and little to no occurrence of clipping during gameplay. Such a system would allow the game to calculate how a sim’s body interacts with its environment in real time, meaning that the animator isn’t required to create new animations for each and every action when extra assets such as body parts (like a tail or 5 legs) are added, because the game does it for them as that’s how it’s coded in.

Because TS4 uses a “simplified” version of these type of mechanics (still quite complex!) and most of it is traditionally animated ( I believe motion capture is not even a thing in this game) I suppose it’s best not to add tails at this time…

Sorry for the yawnaton. 🤓

I’m quite happy with the way werewolves turned out! I mean, it’s rather unfortunate that we won’t be able to make them chase their own tails now, although ….I don’t even know whether or not our werebuddies will be able to chase the STUBBY aul things they carry around on their backsides….I’m sure we’ll hear something by next week. It’d be cute. Silly beasts. 😅
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited June 2022
    I'm fine with no tails, but I think they couldve figured something out to make it work with minimum clipping. But at the end of the day that was their choice and its not a big deal. It looks like itll be pretty easy to add on a tail via CC/mods.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Keep it no tails.
    I don't really think of werewolves as having tails unless they go into full wolf form. I am fine with a hybrid form having no tails.
  • Options
    Clipping tails, please!
    If I could go back and redo my vote I would definitely go no tails. Knowing then what I know now, I would choose differently. If the devs had to leave them out because of resource issues, the cc community is going to be facing those same issues. I give @LeGardePourpre all the credit for giving me something to think about on top of what I was learning about why tails were left out in the first place. I'll still take a look at what the cc community comes up with, but I'm not nearly as excited about that as I was this morning.
  • Options
    Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    edited June 2022
    Keep it no tails.
    LiELF wrote: »

This is pretty much my view of it as well. Clipping to some degree is unavoidable (particularly when we use cheats and cc), but the standard to simply just allow it with anything, just because it looks cute or something like that, is not a good one. If they decide tails are worth it, then what comes next, and then what after. I want a game that is well designed and looks top of the line.

Minor clipping doesn't bug me with cc, but even a cc tail will likely have major clipping, so I wouldn't use it. It would drive me crazy seeing it constantly through a chair, or the shower wall, etc..

Also, honestly if I had to choose between a tail and proper werewolf legs, I would pick the legs a thousand times over!

Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    enskijenskij Posts: 31 Member
    Clipping tails, please!
    Tails are cute! I wish there'll be a few options to choose from. It would probabaly look weird if none of them have a proper tail, just smoothness back there.
    Just your average Finnish simmer
    ☆ she/her ☆
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Keep it no tails.
    I am fine with the tails as is, especially as not all werewolves in lore in the past have had tails anyway.

The resource to add tails would just not be worth it. I know some people say they're fine with clipping (though without seeing it it's hard to judge really), but a big publisher putting out a product with a major amount of clipping would just look bad on them. It's fine for CC but not for a company like EA. If they did it they would have to do it well and with limited resources on a pack I would rather they went to other gameplay/animations/etc. instead of tails.
  • Options
    Clipping tails, please!
    Having seen them in game finally, tails-schmails. Wanting tails before seems so silly now.

• Options
    Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    Surely they could make docked tails work, right? Best of both worlds.
    Honestly, I was pleased to see a vestigial tail on the unclothed werewolves so I'm okay with it BUT (and it's a big but..ha) I would have preferred that they gave us the option of having some type of tail for our werewolves. I'm excited for the pack anyway but of course more is always nice.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Keep it no tails.
    Wikipedia
    Does a werewolf have a tail?

The appearance of a werewolf in its animal form varies from culture to culture, though it is most commonly portrayed as being indistinguishable from ordinary wolves save for the fact that it has no tail (a trait thought characteristic of witches in animal form), is often larger, and retains human eyes and a voice.
  • Options
    Mr_MuffinTopMr_MuffinTop Posts: 131 Member
    edited June 2022
    Clipping tails, please!
    I don't like clipping, I feel they could have made tails hang when wearing fitting clothes, hidden when wearing things like puffy dresses or fluffy miniskirts and pushed to the side so it sits on their lap when sitting. I don't feel tails are a must though even if I do like them. I would have also been fine if they made tails a sentient moving accessory that we can choose to remove if the clipping is that bad.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,357 Member
    Keep it no tails.
    To be honest, I'm fine with anthropomorphic-style werewolves not having tails. If they were true-wolf style werewolves, they'd need them for sure, but for these guys? *shrug* I can live with it.

But... I do have to wonder, what will they do about fairies' wings if they ever add fairies? Those things will definitely clip with everything, and you can't exactly just leave them off...
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Keep it no tails.
    To be honest, I'm fine with anthropomorphic-style werewolves not having tails. If they were true-wolf style werewolves, they'd need them for sure, but for these guys? *shrug* I can live with it.

But... I do have to wonder, what will they do about fairies' wings if they ever add fairies? Those things will definitely clip with everything, and you can't exactly just leave them off...

You can if they do Fae other than Pixies. Spriggans, Brownies, Boggarts, Redcaps, Sidhe ... none of those have wings. :wink: