Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realistic or Cartoony?

Comments

• Options
    LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    Realistic
    DocPrivas wrote: »
    Cartoony.

Realistic graphics tend to age very badly, while the cartoony style is kinda ageless. This is the reason why The Sims 4 (but also other games with similar cartoony graphics like WoW for example) still look fresh even after years of the initial release, IMHO.

Although I like more realism, I do believe that you have made a very good point and agree with you.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited June 2021
    Cartoony
    sims 4 is like perfect balance for me when it comes to artstyle

I don't want my sims to look too human like that would just make me uncomfortable

o_o

+ realism ages so quick anyway

but also on other hand i dont want them to pull some super cartoony cutesy stuff either cause thats just bleh to me

= where we are is good balance i think
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Cartoony
    I chose cartoony as I look at the type of game Sims series represents, it is an parody of real life and I can't get that feeling with realistic characters and it feels out of place
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'd prefer a mix of both.
    Too cartoony is too corny, but being too realistic can be very weird and uncanny valley.

The game should be a mix of serious and comic.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Cartoony
    While I do prefer cartoony over realistic, I will agree that a little more detail wouldn't be a bad thing.

Until/unless dynamic clothing and hair become viable at a video game scale (as opposed to stills or CG movies), hair and clothing simply will not flow correctly, and keeping to a more cartoony base will only help that be less jarring, but better details can still be helpful and improve the overall look of the game.
  • Options
    JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    Realistic
    "Cartoony" causes me to think of babble heads which in my opinion is the ruining of many great characters.
    The cake is a lie
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    Realistic
    After getting used to it by now, I quite like the style of S4. But honestly I prefer more realistic.
    That's why I'm not so much into Paralives (yet).
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    Realistic
    Toward the more realistic side without hitting the uncanny valley. I think with the right CC and skin overlays, that look can be achieved in TS4 nicely. I still prefer maxis match textures though for hair and clothing. Anything more cartoony than what it is now would be too much though.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Cartoony
    Cartoony makes it a lot easier to laugh along side my sims at whatever silliness is going on.

Realism is always going to jar with the game. To do it well you'd need to replace EVERYTHING. The bodies, the clothes, the buildings, the maps, the animations, even how some moodlets are 'too much' and others are 'not enough' all would need to be redone.

With each step into realism, each item not yet addressed stands out even more. And the tone of the game is one of the biggest hurdles there.

It all fits together in a consistent package when left cartoony. With over 8000 files of mods/CC, I'm regularly deleting CC that turned out to look designed for realism once I got it in game and as such didn't match well with what I already had. Doing that is a LOT easier than replacing everything. Because 8000 files is nowhere near even a 1/100th of the CC I'd need to achieve realism.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Realistic
    I voted realistic, but really I'm inbetween. I don't want ultra-realistic sims, never have. But I prefer non-clay hair, real eyelashes, body hair that doesn't look like it was drawn on with a marker. The world have real grass textures and not the smeary stuff that TS4 shipped with. I want my trees to look real and not like fake plastic. I also would prefer the objects to have more detail, actually meshed detailing rather than faking it with painting the details on.

I'm so over the doll house vibe of TS4, I have never, ever embraced it. I actually liked how things were done in TS3. The sims were still cartoony and didn't look "real" but the environment and objects were much more realistic.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Cartoony
    i prefer the sims4 style to be honest
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Cartoony
    I prefer the art style of TS2, which I think was in-between realistic and cartoony. Objects had detail, but it wasn't overly done and the sims looked smooth, but also had realistic mannerisms and you could definitely use bodyshop to make some realistic looking sims.

In TS3, the world was hyper realistic and the sims themselves weren't. They looked so out of place in the world so I got cc that made them also look hyper realistic, too. Then they looked so much better, but since the expressions also weren't realistic, they still looked so out of place while playing the game. I definitely do not want this back.

But after playing TS4 and the cartoony graphics, I can definitely say that I prefer this style because it is timeless. I wouldn't be able to tell you when the game came out if I didn't know. The only thing I don't like about their design decisions is how big some of the furniture is and how overly exaggerative their faces contort. Like...just a tiny bit of normal would be great. But I prefer my characters to look a little bit more cartoony to match those exaggerative expressions.
  • Options
    lifeofdaydreamslifeofdaydreams Posts: 44 Member
    Cartoony
    DocPrivas wrote: »
    Cartoony.

Realistic graphics tend to age very badly, while the cartoony style is kinda ageless. This is the reason why The Sims 4 (but also other games with similar cartoony graphics like WoW for example) still look fresh even after years of the initial release, IMHO.

I agree. A cartoony style also fits rather well with the overall quirkiness of The Sims.
  • Options
    RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    I don’t have a preference. Both can be done well
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    Realistic
    Realistic.
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    Realistic
    I wish there was a third option for mix of both.
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited June 2021
    Cartoony
    The style of Sims 4 is growing on me. I agree with the posters who mentioned that a cartoony style ages well. I bought Sims 4 only last week, and it doesn't feel like a game that came out almost seven years ago.

I wonder if a game with more realistic-looking graphics might end up being too demanding for my 2017-vintage laptop to play well.

I wouldn't like a more cartoony style, though...no people with outsized heads, etc. My Time at Portia fills that niche for me.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Realistic
    I like the feel and look of Sims 4 but honestly, I'm waiting for the day when I can't decide whether that character is an artist's creation of an actual person or if it is the actual person!!! Yeah, realism all the way for me!
  • Options
    Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    Realistic
    Realistic definitely, like those current gen games, I always wanted a sims with those graphics, it would look awesome B)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Realistic
    Hauk150 wrote: »
    Realistic definitely, like those current gen games, I always wanted a sims with those graphics, it would look awesome B)

Says the person with a cartoon cat avatar... :shrug: Just saying... lol

EDIT:
    Just to be sure you know, I am only joking about your avatar. It just seems like a funny contradiction but I'm not making fun of you.
    Post edited by PenguinFoop on
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Cartoony
    I like the cartoony style a lot but I think it needs a little more detail and "3d" visuals. Shorter skirts could use some shadowing on the inside so when a Sim sits down it doesn't look unfinished or like it's made of solid plastic. I'd also like more optional facial details and shapes.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Cartoony
    I really like how the Sims look in Sims4. Cartoony, yet not so much, realistic but not to the point you'd swear you're looking at a photograph. I think there is a fine line here. We already get very attached to our little pixelated buddies, so if they looked too real, it could confuse a weak mind.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Realistic
    LiELF wrote: »
    I like the cartoony style a lot but I think it needs a little more detail and "3d" visuals. Shorter skirts could use some shadowing on the inside so when a Sim sits down it doesn't look unfinished or like it's made of solid plastic. I'd also like more optional facial details and shapes.

I agree about the skirts and would say the same about some of the shorts. Either add some shadows or use shapekeys to cause them to drape when appropriate. It's not that difficult to do either.
    I really like how the Sims look in Sims4. Cartoony, yet not so much, realistic but not to the point you'd swear you're looking at a photograph. I think there is a fine line here. We already get very attached to our little pixelated buddies, so if they looked too real, it could confuse a weak mind.

Wait, my mind ain't we... oooooh pretty colors! Yum!
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    edited June 2021
    Realistic
    Inbetweeny.

ditto Too real makes it creepy. Too cartoony and it wouldn't feel like the Sims. IMO

Changed mine to realistic as OP edited what they meant by realistic vs cartoony. So in that case I would lean more towards the real.
    Post edited by Bluegayle on
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    Cartoony
    I feel that Sims 4 is a nice balance of cartoony and realistic.
    Sims 2 had a pretty good balance as well.
    Sims 3 was a little too realistic, and didn't really seem to fit in the Sims series. However, the color wheel, and the ability to create designs is something I really like.
    I like a bit of realism, but not so much that it falls into uncanny valley. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has a nice cartoony style, but also has a touch of realism as well.
    Kingdom Hearts has a cartoony style as well, but it is realistic enough as well. Plus, it deals with Disney characters, so it fits that is a bit catoony.
    So, I kind of like both styles, but a nice mixture of both.