Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realistic or Cartoony?

I'm sure there's been a ton of similar threads before but I'm interested to see the figures on how people feel! Which graphics style do you prefer and hope to see in future games?

(Realistic doesn't necessarily mean ultra realism and uncanny valley, it could just mean more realistic and detailed than what we have in 4. Cartoon goes for anything non-realism, doesn't necessarily have to look like a kids tv show it could just be more doll-like characters like we have in 4)

Realistic or Cartoony? 270 votes

Realistic
35%
BluegayleCK213Frn0731bshag4lvtams2578IceyJlove7680PseudonymsAlexairudolphaColorist40lisamwittoveronAnnie2008suetooprhaliustrifidmeerkatSusanaLeoteNyxLunaStaraaronrulz 97 votes
Cartoony
64%
Akl500PcrocobauraGoldmoldarMstybl95GalacticGalIcewolfSamadamsPlayeralan650111SimmervilleZagatta7BreeNillaPlayerSinger2010imhappydanacnbrettMi9shaoscarTheSpotted_CIsb917MeteoraStormStrangerthanbabajayne 173 votes

Comments

• Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Cartoony
    I prefer the cartoony look because that's what feels right to me.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2021
    Realistic
    For me I prefer realistic, don't necesarrily want uncanny valley level of realism but I'd like to see skin detailing/more realistic coloring, eyelashes, eyebrows with actual hairs, grass that isn't a green blob, etc etc. Some examples of more "realistic" sims I've made with CC :)
    01-07-21-4-40-52-PM.png
    01-06-21-10-50-15-PM.png
    01-04-21-6-58-53-PM.png
    01-04-21-7-29-17-PM.png
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    Cartoony
    Onverser wrote: »
    For me I prefer realistic, don't necesarrily want uncanny valley level of realism but I'd like to see skin detailing/more realistic coloring, eyelashes, eyebrows with actual hairs, grass that isn't a green blob, etc etc. Some examples of more "realistic" sims I've made with CC :)
    I agree with that. Some things could really be more realistic in The Sims 4 while still keeping the cartoony vibe.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    MagicaCatMagicaCat Posts: 124 Member
    Cartoony
    I love the current artstyle, so definitely prefer more cartoony - though some things like eyelashes could use a tweak, I agree.

• Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Cartoony
    I prefer that they have the cartoony look as they have now.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Realistic
    I think with a realistic art style we can have more detail. Cartoony limits our options because it tends to have less detail... a sim in the sims4 looks good...from a distance. If you zoom in you see things like the eyelashes which are only black lines.

I wouldn't mind more realistic details so it's more like a hybrid between cartoony and realistic which could be real looking eyelashes, no more clay hair and more skin details.
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    I like a balance. They need to be realistic enough to be relatable, yet still retain a sense of fantasy and maintain emotional detachment.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Realistic
    I think the ts4 sims are a good example of balance between the two because with cc you can make them look quite realistic or straight up disney.
    But the environment and objects are soooooo smooth, clay, chunky and cartoony. I LOVE texture and appropriate sizing. It makes me crazy to see an item with great realistic texture similar to ts3. And many cc items I have in ts4 are converted from ts3 because it looks so good.
    Ts3 looks outdated in many ways but shines in others. Their water is so beautiful for example. I always hoped so bad for a water update in ts4🥴🥴

That said modern over the top graphics really disturb me😐

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Cartoony
    I think the cartoon style matches the cartoonish nature of The Sims series.
  • Options
    LesleyALesleyA Posts: 30 Member
    Realistic
    While I would love a more realistic look to the sims to get my people watching fix, I would happily sacrifice that if having it meant modding was impacted. I prefer flexibility to mod the game above all else.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Realistic
    Realistic, but it depends on the game mostly.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Cartoony
    I like the cartoony style we have in sims 4. for me that means a stylized look that still benefits from details and decent textures.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Inbetweeny.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Cartoony
    I'm saying cartoony, but cartoony v. realistic is pretty different for different people. For example, @LeGardePourpre's image I would actually consider cartoony because "anime" protagonist. I can admit there are realistic features, but not so realistic ones too. I love JRPGs and anything that cartoony realistic style I'd adore. I do also object to the idea that cartoony styles will not necessarily be well detailed, so perhaps I should say I want detailed cartoony?

I don't know how best to describe it other than if it looks straight out of a JRPG, I'll love it; straight out of Adventure Time, I'll hate it. Sims 4, yes. Sims 2, yes. Sims 3, no. Sims 1, too dated to really judge but it does not offend my eyes like 3.
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I've always found this kind of discussion really interesting!

For me, the style of graphics for any game (not just The Sims) will always depend on what type of game it is.

For example, if a game has a lot of cutscenes, or plays out almost like a movie (think along the lines of The Last of Us and Metal Gear Solid) then I actually prefer "uncanny valley" graphics. I like that hyper-realism, especially if the developers pay close attention to detail, like facial expressions and body language, and I think it works really well for games with a linear storyline.

0Qu8J7b.png

One game that I'm really excited for is Far Cry 6. The reveal trailer was pretty epic, even though I know it's cinematic. I only wish the graphics looked that polished in the actual game lol. However, the screenshot is a great example of what I'm referring to. It's still incredibly realistic, but not off-putting to me.

Then there's games like No Man's Sky and Satisfactory, that seem to have this nice balance between realism and cartoon-ish graphics. Sometimes, it's actually the more cartoon, Disney-like style that creeps me out more. Overall, I guess it just depends on the execution.

As for The Sims, I actually hated the look of 4 when it was first revealed, but now it's my favourite one from the franchise. The cartoon style has definitely grown on me, so I'd be fine if the developers kept that up for the next iteration - but I do expect higher resolution textures and details.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2021
    I find the question a bit difficult to answer cause things aren't always either black or white. There is always the "in-between" that can also work, a mix of both.
    There is this conflict between simmers. It's either team cartoony or team realistic but I think people need to realize an art style can be inspired by both and we should maybe stop using these two terms as terms of absolution.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Cartoony
    If you had asked me 15 years ago, I probably would have said realistic. But I think they tried to make Sims 3 look more realistic and I enjoyed it at the time... then Sims 4 sims looked more like Sims 2 sims and it took some getting used to, but I realized I prefer that look. Now I look back on Sims 3 sims and cringe.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Cartoony
    Sims 4 sims have the best look, not too cartoony and realistic enough to imagine how they would look like in real life.

But not in Pixar style, sim with big eyes and head disproportional to body is baaad idea.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm not into hyper-realism. I could do more realistic than this but I think we should be able to set whether we want sims to have a baseline of being happy, neutral, sad or evil. I do usually play with happier sims with some complications thrown in.

I like the current Sims as they are. In terms of anything new, I know if I like it when I see it. The uncanny valley really isn't for me. I do like some of what I've seen based on the Unreal Engine.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,926 Member
    Between both options. I do use CC to make sims look a bit less cartoony, but I do not like any "super realistic" stuff.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    When I first got Sims 4, I was disappointed by the cartoony look. Things had been getting more realistic and more detailed, and then BAM! Long, cartoony people.

Then I went back and played Sims 3 again. The graphics didn't hold up well after time. What had once looked more realistic instead looked old. Meanwhile, the cartoony Sims 4 sims still look the same.

I really would like realistic-looking Sims, but I understand why they went cartoony, and it seems to have worked. I vote "Why not both?"
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Options
    AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    Cartoony
    Cartoony things just tend to age better overall. I like sims 3 but the sims are not the cutest for sure.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2021
    Cartoony
    The art style of the Sims 4 is probably my most favourite thing about the game, it looks so beautiful.
    Post edited by Sharonia on