The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When you don't pause your save. . .

When you don't pause your save and then exit the game, does Sim life go on while you are not playing?

I've always wondered about this.

I mostly pause before exiting, but . . . ???

Comments

• Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    No. It might be different in The Sims Mobile (I’ve never played it), but in the main series, nothing happens while the save’s closed.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited December 2020
    If you don't close your computer but leave the game running, it totally does! I sometimes forget to pause and I go to a different screen on my computer and then when I open it up again, my sims are just living life. I think the game automatically stops if your computer goes to sleep though and it definitely stops when you exit the game completely.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    well, the other day i bought a pizza for my sim on the sims 3 and the next time i logged on the game again everything was the same, except the pizza wasn't there.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,334 Member
    When you don't pause your save and then exit the game, does Sim life go on while you are not playing?

Haha! Reminds me of the episode of "Broken Mirror", "USS Callister". ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »

Haha! Reminds me of the episode of "Broken Mirror", "USS Callister". ;)

Was that from the show "The Last Ship" ?
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    I'm pretty sure they go on their lives regardless of whether you play or not, but then quickly return to "Stage" so you can continue :-) Live is a stage and people are actors, after all :-)
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    ArcherDK wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they go on their lives regardless of whether you play or not, but then quickly return to "Stage" so you can continue :-) Live is a stage and people are actors, after all :-)

Did you see the episode I was talking about? It's actually quite amusing. ;)
    (A bit creepy too, of course)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    I once left mine running for 10-15mins unattended as nipped outside to sort some thing and didn't hit pause, came back to a monster tumble drier fire that had spread outside, with all the sims just stood flapping about it, thankfully no one died...
  • Options
    ElisetomElisetom Posts: 70 Member
    [quote="Cheekyimp;c-17751647"]I once left mine running for 10-15mins unattended as nipped outside to sort some thing and didn't hit pause, came back to a monster tumble drier fire that had spread outside, with all the sims just stood flapping about it, thankfully no one died...[/quote]

Something similar happened to me. When I first got Tiny Living, I was playing in a micro home with a Murphy Bed. I went to the kitchen to fix a quick meal without pausing and come back to find my Sim crushed to death...
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Elisetom wrote: »
    Cheekyimp wrote: »
    I once left mine running for 10-15mins unattended as nipped outside to sort some thing and didn't hit pause, came back to a monster tumble drier fire that had spread outside, with all the sims just stood flapping about it, thankfully no one died...

Something similar happened to me. When I first got Tiny Living, I was playing in a micro home with a Murphy Bed. I went to the kitchen to fix a quick meal without pausing and come back to find my Sim crushed to death...

Yep. This happened to me too. I started my first evil criminal sim, gave him a tiny home with fast internet so he can troll the forums, he tried to go to bed while I was away for a sec and when I got back, grim was standing over him playing on his phone. I think it was karma.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I've heard that if you save and exit without pausing, when the game loads things will go on while you're still on the loading screen; I have MCCC set to "pause on zone" so my game is automatically paused after a loading screen.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,950 Member
    I simply squish the game by clicking on my Windows start key and nothing happens until I bring it back up. Generally speaking if you pause and then save the game, you can leave your computer and come back to find the game is still in pause mode. Yesterday, I thought I had hit pause, then save, yet when I got back upstairs just moments later, I could hear my Sims talking! :open_mouth: Happily, everybody was okay.

But, no, it would be totally weird for our Sims to just continue on with their lives. I was in the hospital for three weeks, years ago, and then in Rehab for another two. Can you imagine if the game tried to continue on during my Legacy Challenge game for me? That would be bad …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    I've heard that if you save and exit without pausing, when the game loads things will go on while you're still on the loading screen; I have MCCC set to "pause on zone" so my game is automatically paused after a loading screen.

Ahh... So it's MCCC that has that. I thought it was a different mod. I want that not necessarily for just loading screens, but for loading overall.

Then I can go get a quick meal out of the fridge, pee, wash my hands, drink a glass of water, wash the dishes in the sink, listen to the radio, watch TV, pee, wash my hands, take a nap, get up and take a thoughtful shower, pee, wash my hands...

...the game will be paused when I come back to my computer. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,605 Member
    ArcherDK wrote: »

Now these is creepy hahahahaha
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,899 Member
    MCCC pause on load and autosave features are life (and sanity) savers.

And my sims better not live their life without me! Knowing all the stupid choices they would make....
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I always save and then pause the game before leaving my desk. So if there is a CTD or a computer restart or something of the like, i haven't lost any progress.

after the pause i press the windows key and close the start menu. When i go back into the game a few minutes later i only need to press the tab and continue where i left off.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I’m just glad the game remembers when I’ve left it paused when closing the game. It used to not matter, it was unpaused upon reloading. But sometime in the past year or so a patch made it remember the pause. I always pause before I save.
  • Options
    I went back into play last night and the save I had paused and saved and then exited the game was at a different point from where I paused it and it was no longer paused.

Gremlins ???
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    There was a big fire in the outdoor grill that stressed my Sims that I for some reason did not notice, so things happens when you look away.
  • Options
    RoboticHatRoboticHat Posts: 35 Member
    Just tested this and yeah the game keeps playing when you move to a new window when you do not pause first. Good to know! I'm new to the forum, so normally I don't switch windows often when I'm playing.
  • Options
    Well I'm talking about when you pause, and save and Exit the game completely.

I came back the next day and they were not where I had the paused the game at (which was in bed)
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Well I'm talking about when you pause, and save and Exit the game completely.

I came back the next day and they were not where I had the paused the game at (which was in bed)
    Were they standing up next to the bed? That is normal, that’s how things load in the game and it usually has them get back in bed when you unpause.

If they were doing other things completely like grilling (usual suspect), then I wonder did you enter any other lots in between loads, even just for a quick edit? That can reset them, so to speak.