Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ANOTHER Competitor to The Sims 5?!?? People of the Newbery

Comments

• Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    The game developer posted this information on his Discord Channel today
    YooToday at 4:02 PM
    Many people ask why the game will not support mods?
    The game will not support mods to maintain good game optimization, many people have already seen bugs in the Sims 3 and Sims4 game due to mods.

What can I offer in return?
    You will get a lot of content at the beginning of the game, clothes, hairstyles, furniture, house styles, and more. I will add new game DLC to the game and release them for free every 3 months.

There will be paid DLC with new cities and resorts for the price of $ 7.

At the beginning of the game you can get a completely new city, 2 resorts and a farm.

The approximate size of the game at the start is 50 GB

Here's a summary of the FAQ

Questions and answers

When will the game be released?
    Approximate release date Q3 2021

Is this an online game?
    The game was originally created for an online mode for up to 6 players, but you can also play it without an Internet connection.

Where will the game be sold?
    The game will appear in the Epic Games Store.

What platforms will the game be available on?
    At the start, the game will be available on PC, after a while on Xbox and PS.

Is there a beta version and can I become a tester?
    Yes, we will conduct 3 tests of the game, you can submit a request and get the opportunity to try out the game for free.

Does the game support user-generated content?
    No, the game will not support user content, for the sake of maximum performance and product quality. We will offer you a large amount of content at the beginning of the game and Supplement it with free game sets.

What language will the game support?
    English
    French
    German
    Polish
    Russian
    Chinese

Only one Newbury city will be available in the game?
    No, the game will have a large global map with different countries and cities, but you can only visit them as a tourist, build your own house and live only in Newbury.

What are the requirements for my computer to run the game?
    Unreal engine 4 technology allows you to flexibly customize the game's graphics and performance. This makes it possible to run games on almost any computer.

Minimum requirement:
    Processor: 2 cores 4 threads
    RAM: 4 GB
    Video memory: 1 GB
    Disk space: from 50 GB

I like that it will already have 2 resorts and a farm at the very beginning!!!

I'm glad that I'm going to get a new computer when I get back to the States. 50gb of disk space in my old computer would have been too much!

He also mentioned city. I'm hoping he means like Bridgeport in TS3 which had an urban area with tall buildings and apartments, and more suburban areas with houses, more middleclass and more affluent too.

I also like that it will have free DLC and the paid DLCs are set at a good price!

The video on animals mentioned in the description that there will be a zoo!

I honestly have to wonder what 50GB goes towards. I have almost every pack for TS4 and it is around 37GB.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    If the basegame has plenty of content, then I'm fine with no CC. I don't normally use mods unless it's to "fix" stuff.

And, this is not a true "multiplayer" game like WoW where you'll be playing with hundreds of people. From what I read it's only for 5 of your friends to play together.

I'm so super excited about it!! I'll be a stalker of his Discord now! Absolutely love the graphics and more realistic look!

Yeah, I don't mind not having mods if the game is made well. I didn't use any mods for TS1 or TS2. I only started using a few mods when I played the Isla Paradisio world in TS3, BUT I found that I didn't really need mods in other worlds that have features from the Island Paradise EP. I still play TS3 unmodded sometimes because I find the vanilla game just as fun as the modded version.

I like that it's not like WoW as well and that you can control who you play with - a lot safer for children and a relief for parents! I also like that it doesn't seem competitive like what EA wants or that you would have to grind for stuff like in The Sims Online. More importantly, you can play this offline!

• Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Consider the direction of the Sims it won't be difficult to dethrone the Sims. Lack of testing not to mention the lack of serious fixes. They depend to heavy on the Mod community to clean up there mess. EA needs to get back to the basics and throw Wall Street under the bus. They design it but the community has kept it alive.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited August 2020
    The game will not support mods to maintain good game optimization, many people have already seen bugs in the Sims 3 and Sims4 game due to mods.

You will get a lot of content at the beginning of the game, clothes, hairstyles, furniture, house styles, and more. I will add new game DLC to the game and release them for free every 3 months.

At the beginning of the game you can get a completely new city, 2 resorts and a farm.

Questions and answers

Is this an online game?
    The game was originally created for an online mode for up to 6 players, but you can also play it without an Internet connection.

Yes, we will conduct 3 tests of the game, you can submit a request and get the opportunity to try out the game for free.

No, the game will not support user content, for the sake of maximum performance and product quality. We will offer you a large amount of content at the beginning of the game and Supplement it with free game sets.

English
    French
    German
    Polish
    Russian
    Chinese

No, the game will have a large global map with different countries and cities, but you can only visit them as a tourist, build your own house and live only in Newbury.

Unreal engine 4 technology allows you to flexibly customize the game's graphics and performance. This makes it possible to run games on almost any computer.

Minimum requirement:

I'm glad that I'm going to get a new computer when I get back to the States. 50gb of disk space in my old computer would have been too much!

He also mentioned city. I'm hoping he means like Bridgeport in TS3 which had an urban area with tall buildings and apartments, and more suburban areas with houses, more middleclass and more affluent too.

I also like that it will have free DLC and the paid DLCs are set at a good price!

I honestly have to wonder what 50GB goes towards. I have almost every pack for TS4 and it is around 37GB.

High quality textures = More diskspace used

17 skins should use about 1.7 GB, the size of 1 EP.
  • Options
    Do they plan to add more skintones ?

A lot of Black skins are missing in the preview

9s9a6him71ah.jpg

They also don't have proper skin tones for Asians, but this doesn't ever seem to be an issue for anyone. I don't think you or anyone should turn this game into a platform for social justice. It would just be nice to play the game in peace without any of that.

• Options

Questions and answers

Is this an online game?

English
    French
    German
    Polish
    Russian
    Chinese

Minimum requirement:

It's a very realistic environment with higher details. The graphics are similar to GTA V - a fresh install of that game is 75gb.

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    He has a "Your Creative Ideas" channel on his Discord.

He said:
    "On this channel you can write your ideas for the game. I will try to implement the best of them"

I did ask in general chat if it would be LBGT+ friendly. But he is not online right now.

I don't see a height slider on the video of the male body, but I did ask on his Discord.
    I also asked about the different lifestages and if rotational play would be possible.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @Chicklet453681

Thank you very much ! It will be interesting to know how it works.

I'm also curious about the bills and the careers.

• Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited August 2020

Questions and answers

Is this an online game?

English
    French
    German
    Polish
    Russian
    Chinese

Minimum requirement:

High quality textures = More diskspace used

17 skins should use about 1.7 GB, the size of 1 EP.

Questions and answers

Is this an online game?

English
    French
    German
    Polish
    Russian
    Chinese

Minimum requirement:

It's a very realistic environment with higher details. The graphics are similar to GTA V - a fresh install of that game is 75gb.

Interesting.......I will hope there is robust gameplay behind all of that high quality realism.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Consider the direction of the Sims it won't be difficult to dethrone the Sims. Lack of testing not to mention the lack of serious fixes. They depend to heavy on the Mod community to clean up there mess. EA needs to get back to the basics and throw Wall Street under the bus. They design it but the community has kept it alive.

That's true. But I really, REALLY hope EAxis has learned valuable lessons from the mistakes made with this current iteration. I also hope that all this competition will wake them up and go back to what made their games so great.

Doom was a breakout first person shooter which was great for a while. But since afterwards they were outshone by other FPSs that had more innovative features. It's nice to see that it's latest release has brought them back to the forefront of the genre. So hopefully EAxis will do the same for The Soms franchise.

• Options
    edited August 2020

9s9a6him71ah.jpg

They also don't have proper skin tones for Asians, but this doesn't ever seem to be an issue for anyone. I don't think you or anyone should turn this game into a platform for social justice. It would just be nice to play the game in peace without any of that.

Just it's always nice to get many options instead of a simple downgrade of The Sims.
  • Options
    He will have a new video coming out on August 20, 2020

He said:
    "On August 20, there will be a new video, you will be very pleasantly surprised"
  • Options

9s9a6him71ah.jpg

Just it's always nice to get many options instead of a simple downgrade of The Sims.

This isn't The Sims though and is too different even to be considered a downgrade. Smh....

• Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    That looks promising! but somehow the characters look midgetty

Agree. While the face looks ok, in Paralives. The rest of the body has a weird angle and build to it. I wonder if the creators plan to correct this or wait until this one first game pack sells and then, improve the body design in a future updated game, lol.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    He will have a new video coming out on August 20, 2020

He said:
    "On August 20, there will be a new video, you will be very pleasantly surprised"

It's so nice to look forward to things like this!

• Options
    edited August 2020

9s9a6him71ah.jpg

This isn't The Sims though and is too different even to be considered a downgrade. Smh....

If it's not comparable to The Sims, it's not a competitor. Just it's a new game.

A realistic life simulation without the world's diversity... that's so real :p
  • Options
    Here's another blurb I found describing what the game is about:

"Do you find being able to control digital people — making them cook, clean, exercise, watch TV, find a job, pay bills, form a family, and have social interactions—incredibly addicting? Congratulations, you can just be a mega fan of life simulator.

People of the Newbery is an upcoming life simulation indie game. You can build the perfect person in the perfect home, create a cute puppy to your exact specifications. Open your own business, clothing store or small coffee shop. You can play alone or with your friends, in online mode for 5 people. "
  • Options

9s9a6him71ah.jpg

If it's not comparable to The Sims, it's not a competitor. Just it's a new game.

A realistic life simulation without the world diversity... that's so real :p

It already represents all the races and existing orientations.

I don't understand why you would want this to fail. I REALLY don't want whatever EAxis dishes out to be the only option because then they'll just revert back to the same poorly made game quality that we currently have with TS4. Look beyond your loyalty to The Sims franchise, as competition will only make the life simulation genre better as a whole.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Two other videos. The animations look smooth.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VP447LZG9qU

Building looks more user friendly too:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-siFkB5GLpU
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Oh yeah, the building ability looks amazing, looked like you could just basically click anywhere you wanted to place a new rock or tree without any type of grid forcing you to only place things within that bounding box
  • Options
    Here's another blurb I found describing what the game is about:

"Do you find being able to control digital people — making them cook, clean, exercise, watch TV, find a job, pay bills, form a family, and have social interactions—incredibly addicting? Congratulations, you can just be a mega fan of life simulator.

People of the Newbery is an upcoming life simulation indie game. You can build the perfect person in the perfect home, create a cute puppy to your exact specifications. Open your own business, clothing store or small coffee shop. You can play alone or with your friends, in online mode for 5 people. "

*Scream!* Oh my gosh, the dev just said the magic sentence: "Open your own business, clothing store or small coffee shop."

That's it, I'm ready to throw all my money at the dev when the game is ready for release! MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

• Options
    And the other reason why this game is 50GB to start, is I'm sure it uses much more detailed assets, Sims 4 is EXTREMELY low poly, the majority of their build/buy is on average of about 500 polygons, they say their limit is 1200 polygon per game tile. That is like mobile game low poly! This game I'm sure is much higher, you can tell by the detail of the trees and the actual mesh grass
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Two other videos. The animations look smooth.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VP447LZG9qU

Building looks more user friendly too:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-siFkB5GLpU

Yeah, I love how smooth the animations are! It looks great too! And I really do love the details and textures!

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    For a simulation game, I prefer a cartoony style. If I want to play a realistic style, I have already played enough Adventure, Action, RPG games. It seems interesting, but not something that I prefer, though some might like it.
    OID:- x4m1r4
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top