Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4's development is ending?

14567810...Next

Comments

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited March 2018
    Phuxion wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    No, they wouldn’t! People only lie if they have to. So if they said no I would actually believe them. But they will much more likely just smile and answer something like: “Who knows - you will just have to wait and see!” and then smile ;)

Again, no. The staff members who are media trained might say something to that degree however in most instances when asked about something like that your average artist, programmer, etc, won't have that type of answer.

Also more often than not developers say "There are no current plans." even if there are and your “Who knows - you will just have to wait and see!” would actually be a horrible/dumb response for a team member to give at a time like this because it could be taken as a hint that a Sims 5 is in fact in development.
    They only said “There are no current plans.” in 2014 when TS4 was just released. Grant Rodiek said that when somebody asked him about TS5 when he was just presenting the just released Sims 4 because the question annoyed him. Of course he wanted people to be interested in the very new Sims 4 instead at that time.

The developers don’t mind speculations about TS5 now. They just can’t confirm the rumors until EA tells them that they can tell people about TS5 too or until EA has announced TS5. Otherwise EA could see their behavior as illoyal and they could therefore be in trouble if they confirmed the rumors. But saying that we have to guess about TS5 ourselves or wait for official information doesn’t give us more information than they are allowed to give us.
    They won’t tell a direct lie because they don’t want to be known as people who always lie to the public. You wouldn’t like people to see you that way either ;)
    Now you are talking about somebody like EA’s CEO. Yes he could lie if he was asked if TS5 is in development if he would see it as important to not give EA’s competitors that information. But the Sims games actually don’t have competition. So opposite the developers I actually think that he would confirm that there is a Sims 5 in development. The former CEO did that for an earlier Sims game a few years ago when he was asked a similar question.

EA has been around for 35 years. The Sims franchise has been around for 18 years. In that period of time there have been lies told/stated about games from EA and The Sims. It's literally impossible for there not to have been at this point.

There have been plenty of instances where companies like Bethesda have said "There is no new Fallout or Elder Scrolls" game in development when there was in fact one but nobody actually cares if they lie about it, no matter how many times they've done it because the end result is always worth the lie.
    Now you are talking about a different game and a different company. I agree that companies will lie if they fear that there are another company who is developing a similar game and could hurry to finish that game to release it first if they were told that a similar game was in development by a competitor. But again: the Sims games have no competition! RPG games, shooters or sports management games are very different because they very often have tough competitors!
    If speculations about that was discussed all over the internet then somebody like Gamespot or IGN would have asked EA’s CEO about it and as mentioned above I am quite sure that he actually would have given them the information.

Wrong again. The reason why major press publications aren't interested in asking stuff about the Sims is because Sims new stories don't generate a lot of traffic (clicks, etc) on sites like Gamespot and IGN. They're not GTA, Red Dead, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Elder Scrolls, ie games that are guaranteed to generate traffic/clicks no matter what the article is about.
    It is you who are wrong here because even Gamespot and IGN were actually interested in the missing toddlers and wrote several comments about them. This was most likely the reason why EA changed its mind and finally decided to release toddlers for TS4 anyway! But Gamespot and IGN don’t care about TS5 as long as the simmers don’t.
    But simmers are still mainly only interested in the next packs for TS4. So nobody really care about TS5.

Nobody cares about TS5 yet you're currently posting an almost 10 page thread about TS5. Yeah, looks like nobody cares.
    I am only one person. Look at this forum an compare the number of TS4 threads to the number of TS5 threads! Or compare the size of the TS5 discussions with the size of the earlier discussions about the missing toddlers and you will see the huge difference. The TS5 discussions fill even less than just the discussions about the bugs in the recently released GP ;)

Also most of the TS5 threads aren’t about people wanting TS5 to be released now. Instead they are about simmers not wanting TS4 to end before something like 2022 ;)
    Post edited by Erpe on
  • Options
    gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    Yes it's ending. And then Sims 5, where you pay 60 bucks for a lawn and two chairs with a bbq pit and an outhouse. The first expansion includes walls, floors, windows and plumbing. It goes on from there. Enjoy.
  • Options
    gnelso1239 wrote: »
    Yes it's ending. And then Sims 5, where you pay 60 bucks for a lawn and two chairs with a bbq pit and an outhouse. The first expansion includes walls, floors, windows and plumbing. It goes on from there. Enjoy.
    Then you should see the prices for the paid content in the Sims Freeplay because they are much higher than the prices for the Sims 4 SPs. But still: Nobody forces you to buy it if you don’t want it! ;)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

I shall preorder now! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member

I LOVE YOU. THANK YOU FOR BEING SMART AND NOT LETTING YOURSELF BE LIED TO BY EA.
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    PhuxionPhuxion Posts: 67 Member
    edited March 2018
    Erpe wrote: »
    They only said “There are no current plans.” in 2014 when TS4 was just released.

No, everyone, every company, every developer, says there are no current plans all the time when it comes to video games. The Sims franchise is not an exception to that.
    The developers don’t mind speculations about TS5 now. They just can’t confirm the rumors until EA tells them that they can tell people about TS5 too or until EA has announced TS5. Otherwise EA could see their behavior as illoyal and they could therefore be in trouble if they confirmed the rumors. But saying that we have to guess about TS5 ourselves or wait for official information doesn’t give us more information than they are allowed to give us.

If someone just got fired from the team or left because they didn't like the working conditions they're not going to care about any sort of loyalty.
    Now you are talking about a different game and a different company. I agree that companies will lie if they fear that there are another company who is developing a similar game and could hurry to finish that game to release it first if they were told that a similar game was in development by a competitor. But again: the Sims games have no competition! RPG games, shooters or sports management games are very different because they very often have tough competitors!

You are insanely naive if you honestly believe that in the 18 year existence of the franchise if the devs have never lied about anything.
    It is you who are wrong here because even Gamespot and IGN were actually interested in the missing toddlers and wrote several comments about them.

No, I'm not wrong because that was a single instance. How many times have they written about The Sims 4 since or prior to Toddlers? The Toddlers update made the news rounds because it was a free update to a video game that was significant. That sort of thing is uncommon with video games and it was surprising when it just all of a sudden happened with The Sims 4, but how much coverage did stuff like Jungle Adventures get from major press outlets?
    This was most likely the reason why EA changed its mind and finally decided to release toddlers for TS4 anyway! But Gamespot and IGN don’t care about TS5 as long as the simmers don’t.

More like they have the metrics that show that Sims 4 articles don't generate clicks, ad revenue, etc, combined with the fact that there probably aren't many people if any on staff that are huge fans of the series/franchise.
    I am only one person. Look at this forum an compare the number of TS4 threads to the number of TS5 threads! Or compare the size of the TS5 discussions with the size of the earlier discussions about the missing toddlers and you will see the huge difference. The TS5 discussions fill even less than just the discussions about the bugs in the recently released GP ;)

Also most of the TS5 threads aren’t about people wanting TS5 to be released now. Instead they are about simmers not wanting TS4 to end before something like 2022 ;)

Of course there's going to be more threads, topics, discussions, about the current game in the franchise. When in history has that not been the case with a video game franchise? Games like a GTA6 or Elder Scrolls 6 will generate head lines, news stories, and there's plenty of demand for them, forum topics, etc, but there's never going to be more topics or discussions about an Elder Scrolls 6 compared to the number of topics/discussions that there currently are for Skyrim. That sort of thing only changes when the next game comes out.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    There's a lot I still haven't done in Sims 4 to even be worried about Sims 5. And Sims 5 would have to be pretty amazing for me to give up on Sims 4 right away; maybe I'd just keep playing Sims 4 till I feel played out with it, but I'd still keep it installed so I can jump back over when I need a break from Sims 5. Maybe I'll even give some CC a try when I don't have to worry about new content breaking it.

There are still themes missing in Sims 4. Seasons may be the next big EP and from there we could have Witches/Magic and University/General Education GP or EP, and more things to do for teens (skateboarding?) We could see another vacation GP after Seasons, since Sims will want to get away from the snow. We could get the much desired farming/rural pack, maybe including Off the Grid living with solar panels and/or wind turbines. The washtub and clothesline from Laundry Day would fit well in a rural setting as well.

I still think it's way too soon to be talking about Sims 5 when we don't even know what's in store for Sims 4.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Sims 5 is not going to come out for a long time. They’ve already confirmed they have a lot more content and sims 4 will have a longer development time. They just released a mobile sims game and there still working on sims 4 plus they’ve just released sims 4 on consoles. Unless they have a secret team working on sims 5 I don’t see where the resources and time is coming from. Plus with all the hints we’re getting in sims 4, there mind is clearly on stuff for sims 4.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    Sims 5 is not going to come out for a long time. They’ve already confirmed they have a lot more content and sims 4 will have a longer development time. They just released a mobile sims game and there still working on sims 4 plus they’ve just released sims 4 on consoles. Unless they have a secret team working on sims 5 I don’t see where the resources and time is coming from. Plus with all the hints we’re getting in sims 4, there mind is clearly on stuff for sims 4.

If/when Sims 5 does develop, it's likely the game engine will be produced by a different team; some of the longer term developers/SimGurus might be called upon to consult regarding the development, but I don't even think they've even thought about what they want to see in the game engine.

I think they're probably watching the game trends to figure out what direction a Sims 5 would go. For example, if the game community settles on a VR standard, there could be a multiplayer version of The Sims utilizing VR, and players could actually play as their Sims and interact with people also playing as their Sims. Or that could be a spinoff version with either Sims 4 continuing or a new version of the beloved series taking over. It's currently just a wait and see process.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Cheekybits wrote: »

If/when Sims 5 does develop, it's likely the game engine will be produced by a different team; some of the longer term developers/SimGurus might be called upon to consult regarding the development, but I don't even think they've even thought about what they want to see in the game engine.
    Of course it is done by a different team - just like it isn’t the same team who are making the next SP, the next GP, the next EP and the Sims Mobile at the same time. The Sims 4 basegame was also in development in years while they released a lot of EPs and SPs for TS3 and also made a lot of stuff for the Sims 3 Store. EA is a huge company and so are the buildings in Redwood Shores where EA even also makes several other games at the same time. See
    https://youtu.be/TXFpSLS1nz4
    And read the description on http://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/youll-find-virtual-gaming-every-corner-ea-sports-headquarters-165698/
    I think they're probably watching the game trends to figure out what direction a Sims 5 would go. For example, if the game community settles on a VR standard, there could be a multiplayer version of The Sims utilizing VR, and players could actually play as their Sims and interact with people also playing as their Sims. Or that could be a spinoff version with either Sims 4 continuing or a new version of the beloved series taking over. It's currently just a wait and see process.
    1. EA’s top takes all such decisions and leave none of them for the developers to make themselves.
    2. EA’s decisions about which games and packs to make and how are all based on evaluations of the market.
    3. A decision about whether to release a new basegame after 5 years (2019) or not had to be made by EA’s top already in 2015 or latest in the beginning of 2016 because otherwise there wouldn’t have been enough time to come up with new ideas and test those ideas such that TS5 could be very different from TS3 and TS4. (EA doesn’t want to make different Sims games too similar for marketing reasons.)
    4. The developers only make the games and packs by following EA’s instructions. EA of course wants constant feedback from the developers and a lot of discussions about all the progress. But it is likely mainly the executive producer’s job to give that feedback and participate in those discussions although some of the other producers likely also participate from time to time.

EA’s top (the decision makers) is mainly interested in marketing and advertising. So they also get feedback from all the support people, sales offices all over the world and Origin all the time. They use this feedback to decide how to change the game, which content to make and when a new basegame should be released. So back in either late 2015 or very early in 2016 when they most likely took the decision about when they wanted TS5 released and soon after decided how it should be different from TS3 and TS4 they again just considered almost the same things as they did 5 years early for TS4. The result almost certainly was again to attempt to make TS5 ready for a release in the second half of 2019 because the packs sells less and less for an old game and EA has never made packs for a more than 5 years old game. Only MMO games have a longer life because their fans would become extremely angry if the current game server was taken down and therefore most likely just refuse to start over from scratch with a new game instead.
  • Options
    PhuxionPhuxion Posts: 67 Member
    edited March 2018
    Fun times with the official Sims twitter feed...

So the official Twitter feed posts a tweet showing off the Noctis outfit being added to the Gallery for the cross promotional tie in with Final Fantasy 15

Tweet gets deleted.

Another tweet is posted with the correct information. The first response to that corrected tweet is...

Kind of hard for anyone who clicks on the new corrected tweet to not see the first response made so the official Twitter feed responds

The official Twitter feed rarely responds to anyone if you look over it's feed...

https://twitter.com/TheSims/with_replies

...so I was impressed seeing that they admitted to the mistake, although given that someone exposed their mistake with the first reply to that new corrected tweet they maybe felt like they had to respond.

Now here's where things get a little more interesting. The corrected tweet get deleted. The responses to it still exists as shown above. The official feed then reposts the corrected tweet a second time so that the response pointing out the mistake is no longer attached to that message. Clever.

Later the official feed posts this "mysterious" tweet

The first response to it is by the SimsVIP official twitter feed

There are then more responses posting the same picture that the SimsVIP posted asking "Why are you acting this is a mystery? Isn't this info already out?"

That original mobile tease tweet gets deleted and then immediately reposted. Most likely so that the first responses people see who click aren't it aren't the pictures exposing the reveal, but then that repost is just followed up by...

They then seem to stop deleting tweets. It's probably frustrating for the marketing team but at the same time it also looks shady/bad/dishonest for them to be doing it.

Given the leaky nature of The Sims franchise you'd think that the team would have learned to maybe to lean into that, ie post pics/GIFs of things like leaky faucets on their Twitter feed when something gets out there that shouldn't have, etc.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,303 Member
    @Phuxion

I always thought SimGuruDrake managed the twitter account.

She leaves EA, it would explain this "new" behavior.
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    I doubt that It's ending soon, I expect at least 2 more expansion packs to get released.