Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4's development is ending?

So, I heard from people that the Sims series kind of has a "schedule" to the release of sequels. Once every four years or something like that. We are already in the fourth year, which means that the Sims 5 is rumoured to be released around 2019, and we only got 4 expansion packs!

I know, we got a lot of game packs and staff packs, but in my opinion, I think EA should focus more on releasing Expansion Packs, at least the classics that we all want: Seasons and University. I don't want Sims 4's journey to end next year! I just got the taste of it, the years flew so fast! The game is going in the right direction, please, at least extend the development years for 2 years at least! I want more content. Thank you! I hope EA will see this. :)

Origin: TeoKnowsBest

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I doubt it. This is the first game where we've only gotten 1 EP in a year. (For 2016 and 2017) It feels like things are moving slower here.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    @TeoDoesSims

What people? I'm most curious about where they may have gotten their "facts" and would like to read/see for myself.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    No there is no limit or time schedule for the Sims 4. Past Sims series had a limit on the amount of packs each series (game engine) could have preset in the programming and when it reached that number - they had no choice but wind down. For the first time ever this Sims series was programmed with no limit what so ever on the number of packs this game could take - so many of us that look into the data and programming suspected something was up when we saw no listed placards in the programming for numbers of possible packs.

On top of that when people queried those in charge of the game about how long the Sims 4 would be made - we got the answer - that there was no limit on how long Sims 4 could be developed and they would develop the game as long as it was feasible to do so.

Then a year and a half ago EA CEO Andrew Wilson announced the "Live service" and its' role was for extending the shelf life of all of EA's big games to many more years between new base games - well it all made sense. So we have no way to know how long it is "feasible to do so" for Sims 4 but it is obviously planned to keep going for much longer than past games as it has no limits to the amount of content it apparently can run without issue. The only problem I can see is people trying to run the game on under par or old pcs as it continues to grow, as people are still buying the base game well in numbers that definitely keeps EA happy (all 3 earnings calls at EA so far this year had gushing reports of how well Sims 4 is doing and still growing). Plus add to that both the console that just came out in November and the mobile version that does not come out until Spring both need the Sims 4 to make their games; as their games are based this time around right off of our game - so they are not about to shut off Sims 4 before those games are even going hardly.

I suspect Sims 4 will at least double the life of previous Sims games - as long as development sees it "feasible" to do so.

But truthfully no one knows but EA. Keep in mind when a new series is in the works EA always officially announces it about 16 or more months before it is scheduled to come out.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I doubt it. This is the first game where we've only gotten 1 EP in a year. (For 2016 and 2017) It feels like things are moving slower here.

This is also the first game of the series that got the indepth specialty game packs - so keep that in mind.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,405 Member
    So, I heard from people that the Sims series kind of has a "schedule" to the release of sequels. Once every four years or something like that. We are already in the fourth year, which means that the Sims 5 is rumoured to be released around 2019, and we only got 4 expansion packs!

I know, we got a lot of game packs and staff packs, but in my opinion, I think EA should focus more on releasing Expansion Packs, at least the classics that we all want: Seasons and University. I don't want Sims 4's journey to end next year! I just got the taste of it, the years flew so fast! The game is going in the right direction, please, at least extend the development years for 2 years at least! I want more content. Thank you! I hope EA will see this. :)

The Sims 4 will atleast go thru 2020.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    No there is no limit or time schedule for the Sims 4. Past Sims series had a limit on the amount of packs each series (game engine) could have preset in the programming and when it reached that number - they had no choice but wind down. For the first time ever this Sims series was programmed with no limit what so ever on the number of packs this game could take - so many of us that look into the data and programming suspected something was up when we saw no listed placards in the programming for numbers of possible packs.

On top of that when people queried those in charge of the game about how long the Sims 4 would be made - we got the answer - that there was no limit on how long Sims 4 could be developed and they would develop the game as long as it was feasible to do so.

Then a year and a half ago EA CEO Andrew Wilson announced the "Live service" and its' role was for extending the shelf life of all of EA's big games to many more years between new base games - well it all made sense. So we have no way to know how long it is "feasible to do so" for Sims 4 but it is obviously planned to keep going for much longer than past games as it has no limits to the amount of content it apparently can run without issue. The only problem I can see is people trying to run the game on under par or old pcs as it continues to grow, as people are still buying the base game well in numbers that definitely keeps EA happy (all 3 earnings calls at EA so far this year had gushing reports of how well Sims 4 is doing and still growing). Plus add to that both the console that just came out in November and the mobile version that does not come out until Spring both need the Sims 4 to make their games; as their games are based this time around right off of our game - so they are not about to shut off Sims 4 before those games are even going hardly.

I suspect Sims 4 will at least double the life of previous Sims games - as long as development sees it "feasible" to do so.

But truthfully no one knows but EA. Keep in mind when a new series is in the works EA always officially announces it about 16 or more months before it is scheduled to come out.

To add on to @Writin_Reg , if I remember correctly, Island Paradise was supposed to be the last expansion pack for sims 3. They managed to push it however and add into the future, but I believe it was stated the game couldn't handle any more expansion packs, and into the future was pushing it.

Sims 4 is indeed made differently. It's also supposed to be designed to handle more packs better without slowing down, which I will say it does incredibly. My load screens are barely any longer than launch, and I have all the packs. But even more so, CAS and build/buy doesn't lag a bit even with thousands of stuff, which was my biggest gripe about sims 3.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

This is also the first game of the series that got the indepth specialty game packs - so keep that in mind.

True. Although I still feel that 2 GPs don't equal the amount of content in an EP, so things still do feel slower for me.

Right now I'm just waiting to see what they come up with. There are still a lot of ideas they can explore.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options

True. Although I still feel that 2 GPs don't equal the amount of content in an EP, so things still do feel slower for me.

Right now I'm just waiting to see what they come up with. There are still a lot of ideas they can explore.

They are not supposed to equal a half of an ep - that's just how some simmers seem to think it means. All it really means is a single main idea thoroughly thought out indepth.

An ep is at least 3 main objectives meshed together that are seemingly compatible in some form or manner - that play off of a main focus. It is often less about indepthness and more about giving folks three or more new ideas to work with.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    If anything, statements from Developers over the years are more so hinting at The Sims 4 lasting longer than it's previous iterations.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    *covering his eyes and then be angry and takes a red plumbob and breaks it to the ground* Why does this keep happening to me?
  • Options
    GelysenGelysen Posts: 214 Member
    I think the sims 4 has a longggg way to go and I'm very happy about it. The game doesn't feel like finished materialto me at all and theres loads of areas they can still explore, I also know quite some people who've always said ''I won't buy the sims 4 until they release pets'' that have bought the sims after pets came out and are now very much enjoying the game.

So if I already know 4-5 people who didn't want to buy the game before they released Cats & Dogs, I can imagine there being heaps more who thought exactly that, which would explain the growth of the game since Cats & Dogs was released.

There's also loads more stuff I would love to see in the sims 4, both new stuff and things like we had in other sims games. I loved the sims 3, but sadly even with a very new and beefy gaming pc it would load very slow and take forever to do certain things (With all the eps and stuffpacks installed and no cc)
    My sims 4 wishlist:
    -Spiral, L&U shaped stairs-More hair colors-Alternative fashion(Goth,Punk,lolita)-More rabbit hole careers-Witches,Plantsims,Werewolves.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

I think The Sims 4 launching on console with DLC being rolled out, suggests EA are making The Sims 4 stay for a lot longer.

It's very clear to everyone that the main focus of TS4's base game was making the game run smoothly, everything including the game itself took a back seat.

To add on to @Writin_Reg , if I remember correctly, Island Paradise was supposed to be the last expansion pack for sims 3. They managed to push it however and add into the future, but I believe it was stated the game couldn't handle any more expansion packs, and into the future was pushing it.

Sims 4 is indeed made differently. It's also supposed to be designed to handle more packs better without slowing down, which I will say it does incredibly. My load screens are barely any longer than launch, and I have all the packs. But even more so, CAS and build/buy doesn't lag a bit even with thousands of stuff, which was my biggest gripe about sims 3.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they worked around that by making Into The Future a separate world experience rather than as part of the actual game.

It was kind of like WA and Uni where there wasn't much bloat on the main save file as they were able to separate it.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I wouldn't worry about comparisons to past schedules. They have done the series differently this time it's very obvious. They've also told us they are doing it differently. The live service allows for frequent patches and updates. I'm betting it will go at least until 2020 also. I'm hoping much longer.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    AuzzPandaAuzzPanda Posts: 1,235 Member
    Gelysen wrote: »
    I think the sims 4 has a longggg way to go and I'm very happy about it. The game doesn't feel like finished materialto me at all and theres loads of areas they can still explore, I also know quite some people who've always said ''I won't buy the sims 4 until they release pets'' that have bought the sims after pets came out and are now very much enjoying the game.

So if I already know 4-5 people who didn't want to buy the game before they released Cats & Dogs, I can imagine there being heaps more who thought exactly that, which would explain the growth of the game since Cats & Dogs was released.

There's also loads more stuff I would love to see in the sims 4, both new stuff and things like we had in other sims games. I loved the sims 3, but sadly even with a very new and beefy gaming pc it would load very slow and take forever to do certain things (With all the eps and stuffpacks installed and no cc)

So, you want to waist another 200$ instead until it does? Wouldn't you rather an actual game, aka one that holds its own as a base game? Like all other games in the world?
    23rif7.gif
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    AuzzPanda wrote: »
    Oh my GAWD all I want is for the era of sims 4 to end already! I miss being into a sims game and I want an actual one! I'm desperately waiting on Sims 5. Sims 4 was a bunch of bull and the 20 or whatever half baked stuff packs were nothing but for the sims team members to save up for a nintendo switch or something, absolute biggest waist of money I've ever even heard of in my life. More than someone buying 20000 tickets for the lottery and not winning. Ridiculous. Such a bad game omg I could go on but I won't for my sake.

Summary: Sims 4 please end, and begin with the sims 5. However not in EA's hand, I've lost my respect for this company, It should be made by another. Also, enough of the ''T'' rating and the goofy smiles.

If it is a waste, why buy it? You want the era to end because there are a bunch of stuff packs in the game, packs where in they are optional and don't force you on buying it. People always say that they are waste, if they are waste to you, why care on them all? Why won't you divert your concerns to GP or EP if SP are just a waste for you?
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,063 Member
    edited February 2018
    I hope no 2019
    Maxis should launch The Sims 5 for the series 20th anniversary

And I hope than for that version, in favor for open world and graphics and gameplay, they withdraw support for legacy devices
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,144 Member
    I don´t even think about Sims 5 yet. Sims 3 and Sims 4 is what I play now and for years to come. Sims 4 is a very good game and I don´t want it to end yet. It´s not perfect and it has some issues I would like to be different but compared to previous games it has lot of improvements. My point is that I would not like Sims 4 to end because of Sims 5.
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    I don't think I want to see a sims 5. It will probably have loot Boxes and or a mobile games type monetization. Even more likely, it will be playable on mobile devices.

I wouldn't worry, I don't think they are done milking this cow quite yet.
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    Been a while since I've posted! I'm also not concerned because they just relaxed 4 on to consoles and are doing DLC through the store. So I imagine Sims 4 will be around a while and I'm happy. While I don't like a lot of things they chose to do, I do like what they're doing. My hope is that they bring transportation and cars back. I don't like that. I'm waiting on seasons as a release (be it EP or GP) to join the Sims 4 era. I'm really loooking forward to starting a new iteration with so much content from day 1. I plan on buying everything at once lol I'm excited tho. I think it's gonna be great fun.

I could easily seeing the game getting 2 or 3 more years easy.
  • Options
    Saarah06Saarah06 Posts: 20 Member
    I think its still too early for the sims 5...tbh I still play the sims 3
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited February 2018
    @AuzzPanda wrote: »
    Gelysen wrote: »

So, you want to waist another 200$ instead until it does? Wouldn't you rather an actual game, aka one that holds its own as a base game? Like all other games in the world?

Some of us like The Sims 4. Infact, a huge majority prefer it. When you visit #theSims on Tumblr, or Facebook groups etc. its 90% Sims 4.

Considering The Sims 3 had to compete with The Sims 2 for the longest time, the adaption rate for TS4 is pretty 🐸🐸🐸🐸 high. The player base grew 40% in July - September 2017. Normally the Sims games by then are about to wind down, by The Sims 4 keeps growing.

And EA know this which is why they're investing in The Sims 4 more than any other Sims game (The Sims 4 console including DLC, The Sims Mobile launch).

So yeah, we want The Sims 4 to finish when it covers everything.

I'm sorry you're unhappy but I'm sure The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are good enough.

But that's not a need to tell people they're wasting their money just because you don't like it. Evidence shows that's a minority statement.

---

Also, the comment about the base games being complete is super subjective. The Sims 4 now has way more to offer than The Sims 3 base game even with all patches.

The Sims 3 base game barely has anything to do apart from go to work or rabbit holes. There's no skill or hobby objects apart from Guitar, Fishing, Gardening and Painting. Sims are basically all the same with the same interests when there's no variety in what Sims can do. There's very few avenues where Sims can explore.

The Sims 1 basically had nothing. Just the structure. The Sims 2 is probably the #1 base game.

The Sims 4 has more careers paths, more hobbies and activities for Sims to do (even down to a variety of musical instruments, workbenches etc), more venues to visit, more Create-A-Sim and Build Mode assets.

Post edited by jackjack_k on
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Why is it when staff blink people think a new pack is coming out yet the statement staff made about the schedule and service being completely different this time just cant get through peoples skulls?
    There. Is. No. Schedule.
    Sims. 4. Has. No. Schedule.
    Sims. 4. Is. Not. Ending. Any. Time. Soon.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    Why is it when staff blink people think a new pack is coming out yet the statement staff made about the schedule and service being completely different this time just cant get through peoples skulls?
    There. Is. No. Schedule.
    Sims. 4. Has. No. Schedule.
    Sims. 4. Is. Not. Ending. Any. Time. Soon.

EXACTLY! Some people just don't seem to get it - that this is now and not the way it was. Even a dev said a long time ago - THINGS CHANGE. I guess not everyone can accept it - but that is the way with things - they all change eventually. We just have to get with the program because the world is going to keep moving whether or not we jump on that merry-go round. Luckily most people do eventually jump aboard unless they want to be left behind.

In dreams - I LIVE!