Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Idea: Homemaker Stuff Pack

Comments

• Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I play the sims to avoid doing chores.

But having a sim version of etsy, and crafting skills/items, and the ability to sell the items using the computer could be interesting.
    Give the sims a hot-glue-gun, fake flowers, ribbons, beads, and stuff like that. Have them make hair accessories, jewelery, decorated picture frames, baskets with flowers and bows stuck on them... you know, for decorative purposes. And maybe knitting skill, for making fabulous hats, scarves and mittens.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    I play the sims to avoid doing chores.

But having a sim version of etsy, and crafting skills/items, and the ability to sell the items using the computer could be interesting.
    Give the sims a hot-glue-gun, fake flowers, ribbons, beads, and stuff like that. Have them make hair accessories, jewelery, decorated picture frames, baskets with flowers and bows stuck on them... you know, for decorative purposes. And maybe knitting skill, for making fabulous hats, scarves and mittens.

Sounds great. This + more chores would be my dream.
  • Options
    LesamithLesamith Posts: 278 Member
    Okay, so I had to get in on this. I absolutely love the idea of add in 'homemaker' themed stuff! For me, it makes sense that if a sim is staying home to look after children or just to be the happy 'house-husband/wife', they should have other things to do other than watching tv/reading/doing yoga/working out/ and gardening. Here are a few things that I've thought would be great additions!
    • Washers/Dryers - Laundry - Laundry baskets - Put laundry away.
    • Sewing Machines - Mending clothing - Making costumes/clothing - Making blankets/etc.
    • Lawnmower - Mowing any grass on property
    • Vacuums/Brooms - Tidying up floors when they start to look a little messy.
    • Duster - All your sims to dust surfaces from time to time.
    • Clean Oven - Allow your sim to clean out the oven when it gets dirty.
    • Knitting/Crochet - For making homemade items to use around the house.
    • Grocery Stores - To make purchases of items for recipes/household items.
    • Item Depletion - Make items such as dish soap, shampoo, toilet paper, paper towels have a depletion rate so that your sims actually have to purchase things from time to time at the store.
    • Weeding - Make it possible for your sims to weed the natural growing plants as well as the gardening plants.
    • Sprinklers - For watering the lawns daily.
    • Hoses - For washing down pavement outside.
    • Vehicles - Add in cars(especially the mom minivan) for traveling to different locals. Let's be honest, we have to run errands pretty regularly IRL. Adding in transport other would be fantastic.
    • Car Washing - If vehicles are added in, allow your sims to wash the car whenever they seem to get a little dirty.
    • Clean Bedrooms - Allow your homemaker to either tidy bedrooms or tell children to clean their rooms.

If I think of anymore, I'll be sure to add them! :blush:
  • Options
    PaytePayte Posts: 20 Member
    Love this idea! I seriously need this pack! I'd love to set chores for children, too! Or, at least, the kids could clean, too. Anyways, great ideas on this thread!
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    I love these ideas !! I do wish older sims can teach their kids ( Kids to teens ) to help cook dinner and maybe one of the parents fix one of their kids broken toys via sewing
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    ArriesArries Posts: 58 Member
    IRL I own a business making/selling candles. I love the ideas here of being able to make your own candles, and the etsy-ish idea. Kind of the the previous iterations consignment shop, but online.

I'm also dying for laundry to make a come back. And I'd love to be able to vacuum etc. Awesome thread. I'd totally invest in this GP.
  • Options
    leahbeeleahbee Posts: 50 Member
    I love all of these ideas! (I haven't read all of them so I'm sorry if most of these have already been said)

- Play dates.
    - Home schooling would be fun!
    - Cleaning actions such as vacuuming.
    - New skills: sewing, knitting, etc.
    - Children being able to "copy" parents with small child versions of cookers and vacuums.
    - Laundry come back please.
    - Activities with toddlers/children like baking and gardening.
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I think this would be wayyy too much for a small SP. It should be a GP, to be honest. I do wish they will make a Generations pack along with this one (and a Farm Life GP, Superstar EP, Seasons EP, Pets EP and a School EP etc).
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    But I LOVE these ideas so much! I want a Home Maker GP! <3
    Please @SimGuruLyndsay @SimGuruDrake @SimGuruDaniel @SimGuruSarah @SimGuruNinja
  • Options
    KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    Lesamith wrote: »
    Okay, so I had to get in on this. I absolutely love the idea of add in 'homemaker' themed stuff! For me, it makes sense that if a sim is staying home to look after children or just to be the happy 'house-husband/wife', they should have other things to do other than watching tv/reading/doing yoga/working out/ and gardening. Here are a few things that I've thought would be great additions!
    • Washers/Dryers - Laundry - Laundry baskets - Put laundry away.
    • Sewing Machines - Mending clothing - Making costumes/clothing - Making blankets/etc.
    • Lawnmower - Mowing any grass on property
    • Vacuums/Brooms - Tidying up floors when they start to look a little messy.
    • Duster - All your sims to dust surfaces from time to time.
    • Clean Oven - Allow your sim to clean out the oven when it gets dirty.
    • Knitting/Crochet - For making homemade items to use around the house.
    • Grocery Stores - To make purchases of items for recipes/household items.
    • Item Depletion - Make items such as dish soap, shampoo, toilet paper, paper towels have a depletion rate so that your sims actually have to purchase things from time to time at the store.
    • Weeding - Make it possible for your sims to weed the natural growing plants as well as the gardening plants.
    • Sprinklers - For watering the lawns daily.
    • Hoses - For washing down pavement outside.
    • Vehicles - Add in cars(especially the mom minivan) for traveling to different locals. Let's be honest, we have to run errands pretty regularly IRL. Adding in transport other would be fantastic.
    • Car Washing - If vehicles are added in, allow your sims to wash the car whenever they seem to get a little dirty.
    • Clean Bedrooms - Allow your homemaker to either tidy bedrooms or tell children to clean their rooms.

If I think of anymore, I'll be sure to add them! :blush:

EEEK!!! This is my dream game-pack :love:
  • Options
    CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm SO in board with this. It should be an option only, the game should recognize which chores need to be done, simply by purchasing a specific item and placing it on your lot. That should activate dust, dirty clothes, dirty floors etc. For the ones who want this pack, but not extra responsibility! It's for everyone!!! lol

Feather 3000 Duster

SimCity World Washing Machine

Broom/Mop

Tiny little cleaners to put on shelves, oven, bathroom, etc.

The option to clean anytime, to possibly avoid the dirty overlay that happens. *Neat Sims would love this*

In-Game exclusive (no buy mode) Retail, Grocery, Clothes, Jewelry, Grocery delivery!

New Recipes

Grandmas Feel better soup! with little carrots in them
    New cakes, and pies
    New Family type meals, or course meals
    Juice packs for kids
    Functional fillable Candy/Cookie jars
    Popsicle's
    Bar-Hottoti!
    Waffles

Functional cereal box decor
    Lemonade/Tea/Juice Stand for kids
    Ice cream stand with NPC

8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • Options
    zubrowkaszubrowkas Posts: 375 Member
    I don't particularly think that TS4 is groundbreaking or has anything to say really in terms of real world social norms/climate (unlike early, Will Wright iterations of the game) but I do think that them making a pack that reads slightly pre-feminist/pre-women's movement might not land with a broader, millennial audience so I'm not quite sure how well it would sell.

With that said, I think a lot of your ideas are practical and would be interesting to see in game. I think perhaps if they disguised it as something else and made those elements you all have mentioned applicable - that it might fly. Perhaps plugging those things into a Generations EP and/or Country Life SP/EP (which I've seen asked for numerous times here) would be beneficial. Just something that is geared towards tending and caring for one's family without it sounding like and/or implicating that it's an indentured servitude pack (which is what it MIGHT read to some.)
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    My original intent had nothing to do with pre-feminism. In fact, I specifically mention stay at home dads too (my game has a lot of them too). Not everyone holds down a 9-5 job and I think the overall theme of a "Homemaker" pack (call it what you will) is for homebodies to have something to do when the tots are off playing or napping. This includes ideas like candle making and canning... hobbies that help and add value to the home.

We build elaborate homes, but then what? What do we do IN the house that we enjoy besides TV and video games?
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    zubrowkaszubrowkas Posts: 375 Member
    My original intent had nothing to do with pre-feminism. In fact, I specifically mention stay at home dads too (my game has a lot of them too). Not everyone holds down a 9-5 job and I think the overall theme of a "Homemaker" pack (call it what you will) is for homebodies to have something to do when the tots are off playing or napping. This includes ideas like candle making and canning... hobbies that help and add value to the home.

We build elaborate homes, but then what? What do we do IN the house that we enjoy besides TV and video games?

I completely understand where you're coming from and I definitely think a lot of ideas here, again, are practical considering we really are playing a task-oriented game. I'm also someone who enjoys family play so I can see the appeal. I'm only saying that the word "homemaker" gives me pause from a business perspective. It's a contentious topic when presented in a specific way considering many women fought (and are still fighting) to stay out of the home and relieve themselves from "homemaker" ideology. Again, I think if EA added everything you and others are asking for but presented in a different way then it would be fine. :)
  • Options
    CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    Ppl...It's just house tasks, men, woman, dogs, cats, aliens, vampires, Robots, can do them. Not all things need investigating from the PC Police.
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    zubrowkas wrote: »

I completely understand where you're coming from and I definitely think a lot of ideas here, again, are practical considering we really are playing a task-oriented game. I'm also someone who enjoys family play so I can see the appeal. I'm only saying that the word "homemaker" gives me pause from a business perspective. It's a contentious topic when presented in a specific way considering many women fought (and are still fighting) to stay out of the home and relieve themselves from "homemaker" ideology. Again, I think if EA added everything you and others are asking for but presented in a different way then it would be fine. :)

Do you know what The Sims was named before they called it The Sims? They called it The Dollhouse. Homemaker isn't how it would be packaged (obviously), but it is the actions, hobbies, and home care associated with that. There are plenty of homemakers (both male and female) and well as extended families living under one roof where the grandparents are the home tenders. Teens are often expected to help out too. This was never meant to be a socio-political discussion. Some Sims don't work (or work at home) and could use more to occupy their time.

And in real life, I am currently typing this while at my office because I'm a career woman. However I own a home which makes me... a homemaker ;)

• Options
    mierpelsommierpelsom Posts: 415 Member
    I don't particularly think that TS4 is groundbreaking or has anything to say really in terms of real world social norms/climate (unlike early, Will Wright iterations of the game) but I do think that them making a pack that reads slightly pre-feminist/pre-women's movement might not land with a broader, millennial audience so I'm not quite sure how well it would sell.

With that said, I think a lot of your ideas are practical and would be interesting to see in game. I think perhaps if they disguised it as something else and made those elements you all have mentioned applicable - that it might fly. Perhaps plugging those things into a Generations EP and/or Country Life SP/EP (which I've seen asked for numerous times here) would be beneficial. Just something that is geared towards tending and caring for one's family without it sounding like and/or implicating that it's an indentured servitude pack (which is what it MIGHT read to some.)

I may be progressive. But the first thought I had with this pack was that my butler, a gentleman in his twilight years, does most of the housework. He'd be delighted to have a chance to do something fun, like knitting, LOL!

I don't see housework as being a feminist issue. Everyone needs clean under duds. :D
    Bringer of joy. Lover of life. Wearer of hats.

Grim Spooky Manor Mansion
  • Options
    mierpelsommierpelsom Posts: 415 Member

I may be progressive. But the first thought I had with this pack was that my butler, a gentleman in his twilight years, does most of the housework. He'd be delighted to have a chance to do something fun, like knitting, LOL!

I don't see housework as being a feminist issue. Everyone needs clean under duds. :D
    Bringer of joy. Lover of life. Wearer of hats.

Grim Spooky Manor Mansion
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,774 Member
    edited February 2017
    @SageRainWillow you're a different kind of homemaker then what the pack is referring to (Even though you or your husband/boyfriend if you have one has to do with washing/cleaning the house). The pack is for those Mom/Dads/ or extend family living under one roof who don't work) For those of us who have sims at home who do NOT work at ALL there's is basically no items (ie vacuum cleaners, brooms, washers, etc) for our stay-at-home Mom or Dad to do when the children are either a)toddlers and they're either playing or napping b)children at school. Or for our Cinderella character to do..for about 3 different times in my story (soon to be 4) I had to use CC items to represent cleaning stuff and doing laundry..

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    Sim home daycare business please, where the sim accepts the clients and can hire staff if needed that will actually help lol.
  • Options
    alifesizeddollalifesizeddoll Posts: 55 Member
    -Laundry and more chores like vacuuming, sweeping and window washing.

-Knitting / sewing skills with options to knit things for family.

-Homemaking trait that improves home acclivities like knitting sewing and cleaning.

-Grocery store should make a come back.

-Tea sets and tea parties complete with cucumber sandwiches.

-New recipes like grandmas chicken soup which cures sickness.

- Scrap-booking - Place family photos and make the perfect album.

- Homeschooling

LOVE the idea for Grandma's chicken soup curing sickness!!!!!
    like vines we intertwined carelessly growing up and growing old; life was on our tongue

Gallery: alifesizeddoll
  • Options
    alifesizeddollalifesizeddoll Posts: 55 Member
    ExxCee wrote: »
    Ohhh I love this! I sometimes make 'ladies of leisure' to play with while their husbands earn the money (absolutely zero shame), but if they do too many yoga classes they get really butch... so some more home activities would be excellent! I'd love a 'spy on the neigbours' interaction for curtains - to complement the 'gossip about neighbours' interaction...

I snorted out loud at the "spy on the neighbours" idea :D
    like vines we intertwined carelessly growing up and growing old; life was on our tongue

Gallery: alifesizeddoll
  • Options
    @MadameLee yes, in real life I'm not the kind that stays at home, but I created this thread because I do want stay-at-home sims with more to do. I have tons of CC in my game for the sole purpose of making laundry rooms with deco only washing machines and hallway closets with cleaning supplies. I'd love to see some of these ideas come to fruition.

• Options
    @MadameLee yes, in real life I'm not the kind that stays at home, but I created this thread because I do want stay-at-home sims with more to do. I have tons of CC in my game for the sole purpose of making laundry rooms with deco only washing machines and hallway closets with cleaning supplies. I'd love to see some of these ideas come to fruition.

my mistake-sorry I didn't realize you're the OP..
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

my mistake-sorry I didn't realize you're the OP..
    6adMCGP.gif