The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

Comments

• Options
    PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    I have a build mode question. Is split level foundation technically possible in sims 4?
    Could it possibly be added in the future?

Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    Nectere wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi is it possible to get technical patch notes published somewhere for the folks that really want to read them? I didnt know the relationships had been patched, I just kept doing my thing, not playing, like everything was still broken - I've even complained, repeatedly. o:)

The truth is that it's very hard for SimGuruGnome to compile the patch notes. For the bigger patches, like the ones released with expansion packs, we might fix hundred of bugs. Some bugs might also have been fixed by a previous patch, but because of when/where they were filed, they might get verified and added to the notes later. Some bugs might be incidentally fixed by other bug fixes, and those wouldn't get reported. Some bugs might get fixed by feature work for a pack. Also, sometimes we like to just fix bugs "under the radar..." we see something we don't like or doesn't work and we kind of just fix it "unofficially." So, yeah, it's rough for him :)

What about features that are "working as intended" but added without being announced to the players? What restrictions prevent SimGuruGnome from telling players about changes to culling, the introduction of relationship culling, and the introduction of inactive played relationship decay? And if he has so much to convey in such a limited space, why are there endless sub-points of no actual substance following most points in patch notes?

Also, I hope you don't mind me reposting some of my questions from a few pages back that I'm still hoping for an answer on:

The fact he is a human without mind reading power or omniscience I guess. Perhaps he could try to bribe the devs for more info with cookies, or coffee, or both. ;)
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi is it possible to get technical patch notes published somewhere for the folks that really want to read them? I didnt know the relationships had been patched, I just kept doing my thing, not playing, like everything was still broken - I've even complained, repeatedly. o:)

The truth is that it's very hard for SimGuruGnome to compile the patch notes. For the bigger patches, like the ones released with expansion packs, we might fix hundred of bugs. Some bugs might also have been fixed by a previous patch, but because of when/where they were filed, they might get verified and added to the notes later. Some bugs might be incidentally fixed by other bug fixes, and those wouldn't get reported. Some bugs might get fixed by feature work for a pack. Also, sometimes we like to just fix bugs "under the radar..." we see something we don't like or doesn't work and we kind of just fix it "unofficially." So, yeah, it's rough for him :)

What about features that are "working as intended" but added without being announced to the players? What restrictions prevent SimGuruGnome from telling players about changes to culling, the introduction of relationship culling, and the introduction of inactive played relationship decay? And if he has so much to convey in such a limited space, why are there endless sub-points of no actual substance following most points in patch notes?

Also, I hope you don't mind me reposting some of my questions from a few pages back that I'm still hoping for an answer on:

The fact he is a human without mind reading power or omniscience I guess. Perhaps he could try to bribe the devs for more info with cookies, or coffee, or both. ;)

Maybe I'm too tired but I don't entirely get your point @Neia. Shouldn't dev teams - like all teams - have some kind of schedule and by consequence, a way to know what other devs are working on atm? They may not necessarily be able to or want to talk about each and every little tweak, I do get that, but it should in theory be possible to inform people about tweaks and changes made to culling & relationship decay, no? At least from now on, now that they know that this is still a big problem for some people & that there's genuine interest to be informed in the patch notes about adjustments that are made to ease the problem? I'm confused maybe :/ Sorry if I misunderstood your point!
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I think this is veering into policy discussion which although we can all appreciate its importance to us is actually getting off topic for this very useful thread :)
  • Options
    N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited October 2016
    Sorry...off topic.
    Post edited by N0NoTToN0N on
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Neia wrote: »

Maybe I'm too tired but I don't entirely get your point @Neia. Shouldn't dev teams - like all teams - have some kind of schedule and by consequence, a way to know what other devs are working on atm? They may not necessarily be able to or want to talk about each and every little tweak, I do get that, but it should in theory be possible to inform people about tweaks and changes made to culling & relationship decay, no? At least from now on, now that they know that this is still a big problem for some people & that there's genuine interest to be informed in the patch notes about adjustments that are made to ease the problem? I'm confused maybe :/ Sorry if I misunderstood your point!

In a small team, you may know what everybody is working on at the moment. But in a big team, no you typically don't. And even less so what's the current status and the details of the various (and numerous !) issues. The bigger the team, the more specialized each dev tends to be.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @IngeJones - Sorry, I wasn't trying to derail this thread - I was just pointing out to @SimGuruEugi that we were asking about something a little different, but you are right that this is getting off topic from the simulation tech, even though I feel very passionately that the patch notes are hugely problematic, so I will stop posting about that in this topic in the hope that my other questions will be addressed! :)
  • Options
    @IngeJones apologies, no intentions to hijack the thread :) I'm just also interested in why it's difficult to share this with us in the patch notes :)
    @Neia well, not every single person may know what every other single person is working on, but I'm relatively sure that it'd be pretty easy for a supervisor or other to keep track of who's working on fixing these two specific issues & sharing the biggest tweaks that have been done with us. Especially if they work together using agile/scrum methods (which most larger organizations do seem to be doing these days). I mean, they have a boss right, and I'm guessing that at the very least the boss(es) know who's working on what (more or less). From my experience anyway. But regardless, let's drop the topic (unless @SimGuruEugi would like to chime in of course) so as to not derail the thread any further :)
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited October 2016
    *Moved to feedback.
    Post edited by Forest_Ninja on
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Today in a tweet, a simguru stated something about the shaders being manipulated in the upcoming expansion pack...what does that mean? He used a different word than manipulated sorry.

Is the shaders like the shadows caused by homes and objects? And what is truly being fixed? Thanks.

No, a shader is a bit of code that tells your graphics card how to display things on your monitor. Some types of textures have different rules, each set of these rules is called a shader. For example, swimming pool water has one, mirrors have their own, rugs have their own (because they always have to appear just above the floor texture) etc

Cools, thanks. Sorry for delayed response.
  • Options
    libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    Hello, just wanted know if shadoes I game wil ever be fixed, I notice when the transitons in relating to where the sun is that it doesn't smoothly transition around objects in game; it's like the shadows jump every sim hour as the sun goes down or up.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I am not sure if this should go here or not, But I am highly upset that when I went into the Sims game to do the Day of the Dead Challenge, I noticed on one of My families, that not 1 but BOTH!!! Kids are Gone, Poof, the only thing left was their Homework Books sitting on the kitchen table to let Me know that yes Kids were actually in that family, I want to know why EA and Maxis thinks it is okay for our Sims to just up and Vanish, even after we have saved them? this culling stuff is just plain Bull in My opinion, if we save our families, then that is what they should be saved, plain and simple.
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    A couple of Day Of The Dead Challenge questions. This question had come to my mind after I had completed the Day Of The Dead challenge for the third time yesterday. When creating this Day Of The Dead challenge, did the idea of letting all the members of a household honor the dead at the same time come to mind? If not, is possible to set this challenge up that way the next Day Of The Dead? That way the entire household can celebrate Day Of The Dead together, instead of one sim at a time. :)<3
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    A couple of Day Of The Dead Challenge questions. This question had come to my mind after I had completed the Day Of The Dead challenge for the third time yesterday. When creating this Day Of The Dead challenge, did the idea of letting all the members of a household honor the dead at the same time come to mind? If not, is possible to set this challenge up that way the next Day Of The Dead? That way the entire household can celebrate Day Of The Dead together, instead of one sim at a time. :)<3

Amen to that, yup that so annoys Me that only 1 can do that and not all of them, I totally agree.
  • Options
    I have a completely non-CL-related question, I'm wondering how are babies made, genetic-wise. I have noticed that there's a seed assigned at the start of the pregnancy, and that the offspring is generated using this seed and the genetics of both parents. How does that work exactly ?
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited October 2016
    One thing I have noticed and I think there must be a good technical reason for it, is in this game there is a larger granularity to interrupting a sim mid-interaction. They seem to have to continue the interaction for longer before noticing you have stopped them than in TS1-3. I guess this is due to the client/server style of architecture employed in this game, to restrict the cross-talk.

Anyway I just thought of the above when I was formulating how to express this... When you spot a walkby sim you want your sim to interact with, very often your active sim will run right to the place the walk-by spawned from, or maybe it's where the walkby *was* when you issued the instruction, while the walkby carries on walking to the other end of the street - they even pass each other on the way!! Then they seem to both realise they've been told to chat, and somehow find their way back to each other. Since it appears to be no longer on the cards to get this game online, is it possible to get the interaction polling/interrupts happening at a finer granularity?
  • Options
    One thing I have noticed and I think there must be a good technical reason for it, is in this game there is a larger granularity to interrupting a sim mid-interaction. They seem to have to continue the interaction for longer before noticing you have stopped them than in TS1-3. I guess this is due to the client/server style of architecture employed in this game, to restrict the cross-talk.

Anyway I just thought of the above when I was formulating how to express this... When you spot a walkby sim you want your sim to interact with, very often your active sim will run right to the place the walk-by spawned from, or maybe it's where the walkby *was* when you issued the instruction, while the walkby carries on walking to the other end of the street - they even pass each other on the way!! Then they seem to both realise they've been told to chat, and somehow find their way back to each other. Since it appears to be no longer on the cards to get this game online, is it possible to get the interaction polling/interrupts happening at a finer granularity?

Oh yes, I totally agree with this question/statement/whatever :D I find that so annoying sometimes, especially when they walk aaall the way upstairs, then aaall the way back down (even though both were upstairs) because when you selected the interaction they were both downstairs ... It makes no sense :D
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Oh yes, I totally agree with this question/statement/whatever :D I find that so annoying sometimes, especially when they walk aaall the way upstairs, then aaall the way back down (even though both were upstairs) because when you selected the interaction they were both downstairs ... It makes no sense :D

A related issue is when you send one Sim to visit another Sim that is already known. Sim A knocks on the door, which says "Come in." Sim A goes inside as Sim B goes outside to greet Sim A.

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited October 2016
    @SimGuruEugi , I was wondering (and hope this is the appropriate thread to ask):

Are weddings supposed to be standing events, or is this a bug?

Sims seem to crowd around or stand or move around and not pay attention during the weddings I have seen. :frowning:

Is this weddings thing a bug? Will this ever be addressed? We were told it was going to be "looked into" in 2015, (though I don't understand what that means specifically).

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    Just popping in from elsewhere with a question that's not Sims-specific. I try to keep up with the blog Ask a Game Dev (http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/). Do people in the industry generally consider the anonymous game dev who writes it to be pretty accurate or to represent general practices of the industry well overall?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    @SimGuruEugi , I was wondering (and hope this is the appropriate thread to ask):

Are weddings supposed to be standing events, or is this a bug?

Sims seem to crowd around or stand or move around and not pay attention during the weddings I have seen. :frowning:

Is this weddings thing a bug? Will this ever be addressed? We were told it was going to be "looked into" in 2015, (though I don't understand what that means specifically).

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

@SimGuruNick has confirmed that this is a bug, I think. The Myshuno Meadows trailer makes it look like it might be fixed, but I don't think that's been confirmed yet.
  • Options
    Sims_for_lifeSims_for_life Posts: 195 Member
    @SimGuruEugi Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask/post but in CL is it possible to bulldoze the existing apartments to the ground? (so essentially a empty plot of land) And how will the apartments work on the gallery? Will it be just interiors shown or will exteriors be customizable so we do have a bit of freedom when it comes to looks of our apartments?
    I am the champion, my friend
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2016
    @SimGuruEugi Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask/post but in CL is it possible to bulldoze the existing apartments to the ground? (so essentially a empty plot of land) And how will the apartments work on the gallery? Will it be just interiors shown or will exteriors be customizable so we do have a bit of freedom when it comes to looks of our apartments?

I sort of doubt that what with different apartments seem to be aligned with certain neighborhoods in CL. I would think the shell was not deletable. That is if that is the way CL is really designed - as they seemed to indicate in the trailers anyway.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    Just popping in from elsewhere with a question that's not Sims-specific. I try to keep up with the blog Ask a Game Dev (http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/). Do people in the industry generally consider the anonymous game dev who writes it to be pretty accurate or to represent general practices of the industry well overall?

I love your sense of humor! :D

Hopefully they'll respond to this one...
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member

Also, would it be technically feasible to assign our own Sims to NPC roles? Say, I click on the library and choose to either randomize a Librarian, go into CAS and make one, or pick one of my other Sims in the neighbourhood to fulfill that role. Aside from the very last option, that's exactly how it worked in Sims Medieval. It would give players a lot more control over their neighbourhoods.

You can already do that somewhat. I found out by mistake after I created a sibling pair and proceeded to move them into a house but changed my mind and made them homeless. Next time when I went into a restaurant they were both there working as chefs. I like the idea, just like you, to have my own Sims in town so I tried it out with a librarian and sure enough there she is in my library.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top