The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simulation Tech Talk

Comments

• Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    Plz answer my question:

I noticed that any book or whatever you order from the computer automatically is sent to your sims's inventory. Wouldn't it be a bit more detailed having it placed in the mailbox?

It's for convenience. We used to have it implemented such that you'd actually have to wait for the mailman to deliver it the next day, but people didn't like that!

WAT! NO!!! Why did you guys do that. :'(

I kind of get it. Waiting for the mailman to come the next day could be frustrating or even annoying in some cases.
    But this could have been an opportunity for deeper and more challenging gameplay. When ordering medicines or books your sims can choose between:

- Express delivery: within the next hour. The merchandise is delivered by a package delivery company such as SPS (Sim Parcel Service). Shipping costs: $250

- Normal delivery: next working day. The merchandise is delivered by your mailman. Shipping costs: $50.

This sounds really cool. Also, those prices are insane!

The more financial hardship for my Sims the better >:)
  • Options
    PixelPrincezzPixelPrincezz Posts: 321 Member
    @SimGuruEugi I was just wondering, is it possible to add an attraction system to TS4 at this point?
    Also, I feel like no matter what traits I give my sims, they all have the same reaction towards things like being playful when they take a bath, etc; Is there any way this could be different or is the game system? Just curious.
    Thank you ;)
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde
    EA ID: PixelPrincezz
    90dia7ml8p6n.jpg
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    I went back and answered some of the technical questions. I might have missed some.

For City Living gameplay questions, check out this thread for a list of answers. Like I said above, I didn't work on the pack so I don't want to be providing incorrect information :)

You might've missed my question about the Beloved trait, or I may have missed your answer... some of us are wondering if it has a fix ETA. It hasn't worked right in forever.

Glad to see you back in the saddle here! :)

I'm not too familiar with that trait. What's broken with it?

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-Beloved-Trait-is-not-working/m-p/3487377#M1356

There's 8 pages of people posting on that thread.

Biggest thing is, if more than one sim in a household has the trait, it quits working for all but the LAST to get it, I think. Or it quits working altogether, I'm not really sure.
  • Options
    SimGuruEugiSimGuruEugi Posts: 503 SimGuru
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I just remembered, why do TS4 beds automatically get made when a sim gets out of bed? I loved having slob sims who kept their beds unmade, and making beds just kind of became a daily routine of most my sims. I miss it.

The bed was one of the first objects we made for Sims 4. Being able to leave it unmade was something we discussed quite a bit. In the end, it was a design call and we went with what we have now.
  • Options
    lexus20 wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi Hi, I have two questions:
    1. Why don't GT closets have a regular Change Outfit option like the dressers or when you click in the sim? It would be nice to have that option added to the game.

Seems weird that they don't. We'll have to take a look.
    lexus20 wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi Hi, I have two questions:
    2. Is there a possibilty of ownable cars and garages ever being added to the game one day? It could be an alternative to sims automatically teleporting to go to other lots. Or maybe instead of teleporting, sims could use taxis if they don't own any cars, or use their cars if they do.

Can't talk about future content.
  • Options
    I went back and answered some of the technical questions. I might have missed some.

For City Living gameplay questions, check out this thread for a list of answers. Like I said above, I didn't work on the pack so I don't want to be providing incorrect information :)

You might've missed my question about the Beloved trait, or I may have missed your answer... some of us are wondering if it has a fix ETA. It hasn't worked right in forever.

Glad to see you back in the saddle here! :)

I'm not too familiar with that trait. What's broken with it?

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-Beloved-Trait-is-not-working/m-p/3487377#M1356

There's 8 pages of people posting on that thread.

Biggest thing is, if more than one sim in a household has the trait, it quits working for all but the LAST to get it, I think. Or it quits working altogether, I'm not really sure.

If it's in the Bug Reports forum, @SimGuruNick probably already took notice!
  • Options
    @SimGuruEugi I was just wondering, is it possible to add an attraction system to TS4 at this point?
    Also, I feel like no matter what traits I give my sims, they all have the same reaction towards things like being playful when they take a bath, etc; Is there any way this could be different or is the game system? Just curious.
    Thank you ;)

I never rule anything out, but I wouldn't be able to say whether we would or would not do something like this.
  • Options
    buzz_infamousbuzz_infamous Posts: 814 Member
    Why is it that when your active sim autonomously chats with someone they dont know they do not get any relationship points and when i want to continue the conversation the first option i get is to introduce even if they conversed for several hours. Whilst NPC's can have many friends even tho i do not play them.
    Origin ID: minimalcanary
  • Options
    DOLLDRMS1DOLLDRMS1 Posts: 2,955 Member
    @SimGuruEugi Could we talk ghosts and how they impact a player's game for culling and/or decay? Shoot, I don't think I have a good handle on exactly how ghosts work in TS4, lol.

I read this post by @SimGuruTrev on reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/4j6l1u/can_we_please_have_an_option_to_remove_ghosts/?st=irz5zzed&sh=5d1c2fdb but found it didn't help me a whole lot. Liked the term "urnstones", btw. When I read the bit about running down urnstones I was immediately perplexed because a tombstone or an urn aren't created if the sim doesn't die on the active lot, leastwise as far as I can tell. That makes finding them to release a ghost not a viable option.

The comment about not culling ghost Sims through code so as not to cull a ghost a simmer wanted to keep in game to be an understandable decision. However, as a player's save ages, the number of ghosts in a relationship panel seems overly extensive to me. If those are ghosts I don't really have a relationship with and don't need for a family tree, they occupy a spot in the population cap that could be better assigned to a living sim. Leastwise, I think they do but if not counted towards the population cap that triggers culling, please feel free to correct my assumption.

Ghost households also used to show up in Manage Households, thus enabling a player to delete at least some unwanted ghosts but I don't see them there any longer. I can only assume a change that wasn't announced in some patch update has affected the way Manage Households handles, or more likely doesn't handle in player's view, ghost households.

Oh dear, I can see this post could get really long so I'll try to be more concise:
    1. Do ghosts count towards the population number that triggers culling?
    2. If the answer to 1. is yes, is there some way to give players more control to delete ghosts. For example, a return to having available a cemetery lot with a mausoleum that could have a "manage the dead" function?

I'm also curious if the new haunted trait coming with CL spawns an actual ghost, or, is said ghost treated like the Von Haunts in WB, who aren't actually considered ghosts by EA core code, according to a statement I have read in patch notes for an MC Command Center mod update? I am not currently using the mod but I keep up with its development and what is implemented. My reason for asking this is due to the fact that the Von Haunts are very, very broken at this time. They no longer haunt the Chalet and multiples of them appear on the lot. I wouldn't want this to be a problem from the get go with a new EP. BTW, there is an open bug thread on them on AHQ so I'm sure SimGuruNick is aware of this, no need to tag him to this post.

If you feel this is out of your purview and prefer SimGuruTrev step in, I feel pretty sure his presence in the thread would be welcomed. TIA for any insight that can be offered.
  • Options
    pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    @SimGuruEugi This question is not directed at EP3 specifically, but at the whole game. From a technical standpoint, why does this game always prefer to use an NPC character than a sim I have readily available, skilled, and living in my town already? In my own game, I have nearly 200 playable sims of all ages and skill levels, and I would LOVE to see some of them working around town.

For example, when I visit a bar, instead of using my playable sim who is skilled and working as a bartender, it will spawn a new NPC. (I know, as it is programmed, the game requires an unemployed sim for NPC roles, but surely it doesn't have to require that. Why not call up actual bartenders to work in the bars if there are some? And if there are none, then spawn a new NPC.)

Again, instead of using one of my bookworm sims as librarian, it will spawn a new NPC. Instead of using one of my teenagers who actually work in the barista career, it will spawn a new NPC at the cafe. Instead of using one of my skilled wellness sims, it will spawn a new yoga instructor NPC at the spas.

The only instance I can think of where the game calls up playable sims is for the entertainers, and it always gives me a moment of great delight to see one of my own sims out in the world, doing what they do. But even then, it's only sometimes.

I would love to understand whether there is a technical limitation to using our real playable sims in all of these NPC roles (and in retail and restaurants, too), instead of some randomly spawned character that I don't know or care about.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited September 2016
    pixiejuice wrote: »
    @SimGuruEugi This question is not directed at EP3 specifically, but at the whole game. From a technical standpoint, why does this game always prefer to use an NPC character than a sim I have readily available, skilled, and living in my town already? In my own game, I have nearly 200 playable sims of all ages and skill levels, and I would LOVE to see some of them working around town.

I can see drawbacks to this. What if you had assigned the sim to a particular career you wanted them in, then while you were rotating to a different family, the game wrenched them out of that career to serve in a bar? I think it could only work if it could be intelligent enough that only sims on the catering career could work in bars or restaurants, etc. Just sims with rabbithole style careers and a task fitting with their career.

And then what happens if you are playing the family of a sim who works in a bar and you take her TO that bar? Does the game appoint a different mixologist? Would it be just a temporary one standing in for her night off?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    IngeJones wrote: »

I can see drawbacks to this. What if you had assigned the sim to a particular career you wanted them in, then while you were rotating to a different family, the game wrenched them out of that career to serve in a bar? I think it could only work if it could be intelligent enough that only sims on the catering career could work in bars or restaurants, etc. Just sims with rabbithole style careers and a task fitting with their career.

Yes, this is how I would want it. Why do they have to lose their bartender job (player assigned) to fulfill the NPC bartender role? I mean, I know that the game currently requires role NPCs to be unemployed, but why do they have to be? They can keep the job they have, but be called up to do the task "tend bar" or whatever. The game could select from currently employed bartenders to fill that role, and if there are none, then spawn a new NPC. I just wondered if there was a technical reason why that wasn't possible to do, or whether they just didn't think to do it as a design choice.
  • Options

For example, when I visit a bar, instead of using my playable sim who is skilled and working as a bartender, it will spawn a new NPC. (I know, as it is programmed, the game requires an unemployed sim for NPC roles, but surely it doesn't have to require that. Why not call up actual bartenders to work in the bars if there are some? And if there are none, then spawn a new NPC.)

Again, instead of using one of my bookworm sims as librarian, it will spawn a new NPC. Instead of using one of my teenagers who actually work in the barista career, it will spawn a new NPC at the cafe. Instead of using one of my skilled wellness sims, it will spawn a new yoga instructor NPC at the spas.

The only instance I can think of where the game calls up playable sims is for the entertainers, and it always gives me a moment of great delight to see one of my own sims out in the world, doing what they do. But even then, it's only sometimes.

I would love to understand whether there is a technical limitation to using our real playable sims in all of these NPC roles (and in retail and restaurants, too), instead of some randomly spawned character that I don't know or care about.

With the EP1 patch we added a system that's known as "repurposing." It attempts to do exactly that, meaning it tries to assign skill/careers to Sims that need to fulfill certain roles. However, it only does so on Sims that are deemed "unimportant." A played Sim would not fit this category.

What you can try to do in your save with 200 Sims is to mark their households as unplayed. Eventually, the game would start using those Sims.
  • Options

With the EP1 patch we added a system that's known as "repurposing." It attempts to do exactly that, meaning it tries to assign skill/careers to Sims that need to fulfill certain roles. However, it only does so on Sims that are deemed "unimportant." A played Sim would not fit this category.

What you can try to do in your save with 200 Sims is to mark their households as unplayed. Eventually, the game would start using those Sims.

Doesn't marking them as unplayed make them available for culling? In any case, I do actually play them all in rotation, but thanks for the info!
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @SimGuruEugi Can you please explain about Sim creation in reference to Sim culling? We have population caps and once reached Sims start to disappear.

I was in the process of bulldozing and creating lots so I wasn't actually even playing. I would go to household management and find that over the course of an hour or two there could be anywhere from 5 to 15 new households created. Would it be possible to have the option to stop new Sims being created by the game so we could actually have only the Sims we want in the game?

Sims are created on demand. As soon as you start your game, no librarian exists, for example. The moment you go to the library, one is created for you. If we didn't do that, venues and other systems wouldn't work properly, since they require Sims to fulfill certain roles.

@SimGuruEugi

Maybe I didn't explain correctly or maybe I misunderstood your answer. I do know that Sims are created as needed...i.e. your Sim walks into a bar so you need a bartender.

This is the situation I'm talking about.

Started a brand new save. Did not create any new Sims. Did not start any new game play but went straight to picking a house to bulldoze. Bulldozed the house, built a new one and deposited a couple of my Sims in it. I did not play these Sims. I went on to repeat these exact same actions again two more times. This took about two hours. I then went to household management to see what Sim I would house next and found that close to 40 Sims had been created by the game. I deleted all these Sims and went back to building.

I then repeated the same actions for about another hour to hour and a half. I had not attempted any kind of game play...just building and depositing Sims....and I went to household management and found another 18 or so Sims created to delete.

So in this session of about 3 and a half hours, NO game play, just building.....the game created close to 60 Sims. It just keeps creating Sims even when not playing.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

Would the game use them according to their skills, or would it pick them at random and give them the necessary skills when they are assigned to the role?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member

Doesn't marking them as unplayed make them available for culling? In any case, I do actually play them all in rotation, but thanks for the info!

Only if they're unhoused.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Next burning question... why was it changed that when you take A sim home, they ALL show up there, instead of being left on whatever other lot they may have been visiting?

I don't mind at all that if a sim is home, and you start from there first, they all show up, that makes sense from a "new day" perspective.

But, if I go to Jacques at Desert Bloom and Max is at Bath De Rille... why if I then take Jacques home, does Max automatically show up too? If I'd wanted him home, there's an OPTION on his icon I could have used for that, if he'd have stayed where he WAS. They used to, they don't now.

That's pretty immersion breaking... @Cinebar for one has posted reams on this one.

I'm interested in why it had to be changed, to tether a family to each other?
  • Options
    libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    Today in a tweet, a simguru stated something about the shaders being manipulated in the upcoming expansion pack...what does that mean? He used a different word than manipulated sorry.

Is the shaders like the shadows caused by homes and objects? And what is truly being fixed? Thanks.
  • Options
    Today in a tweet, a simguru stated something about the shaders being manipulated in the upcoming expansion pack...what does that mean? He used a different word than manipulated sorry.

Is the shaders like the shadows caused by homes and objects? And what is truly being fixed? Thanks.

No, a shader is a bit of code that tells your graphics card how to display things on your monitor. Some types of textures have different rules, each set of these rules is called a shader. For example, swimming pool water has one, mirrors have their own, rugs have their own (because they always have to appear just above the floor texture) etc
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Hello,I am not asking about future content, just if it's possible.

In the sims 2 we had a spell that a witch could cast called Tempus Interruptus. It would freeze every sim on the lot that wasnt a witch or spectral familiar. Time would actually stop progressing for a short while until it wore off.

Obviously it wouldve been impossible for sims 3 open world, but with the way sims 4 lots are set up do you think a spell like this would be technically feasible?

e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    A lot of players, myself included, find it a nuisance when everywhere you go for your date all the other sims want to come up and chat. Is there any possibility this behaviour can be tweaked so that sims you haven't been introduced to or you don't know past a certain relationship score will ignore you when you're out, unless the player takes the sim to chat to them? Not just on dates but any outing.

The intent should be that... a two person Flirty conversation should turn Awkward if a third Sim joins. We might have to tweak that desire some more, though.
  • Options
    @SimGuruEugi Can you please explain about Sim creation in reference to Sim culling? We have population caps and once reached Sims start to disappear.

I was in the process of bulldozing and creating lots so I wasn't actually even playing. I would go to household management and find that over the course of an hour or two there could be anywhere from 5 to 15 new households created. Would it be possible to have the option to stop new Sims being created by the game so we could actually have only the Sims we want in the game?

Sims are created on demand. As soon as you start your game, no librarian exists, for example. The moment you go to the library, one is created for you. If we didn't do that, venues and other systems wouldn't work properly, since they require Sims to fulfill certain roles.

@SimGuruEugi

Maybe I didn't explain correctly or maybe I misunderstood your answer. I do know that Sims are created as needed...i.e. your Sim walks into a bar so you need a bartender.

This is the situation I'm talking about.

Started a brand new save. Did not create any new Sims. Did not start any new game play but went straight to picking a house to bulldoze. Bulldozed the house, built a new one and deposited a couple of my Sims in it. I did not play these Sims. I went on to repeat these exact same actions again two more times. This took about two hours. I then went to household management to see what Sim I would house next and found that close to 40 Sims had been created by the game. I deleted all these Sims and went back to building.

I then repeated the same actions for about another hour to hour and a half. I had not attempted any kind of game play...just building and depositing Sims....and I went to household management and found another 18 or so Sims created to delete.

So in this session of about 3 and a half hours, NO game play, just building.....the game created close to 60 Sims. It just keeps creating Sims even when not playing.

Interesting... I'm surprised the game created so many. I wonder for what reason. Paging @SimGuruNick to replicate those steps and investigate.
  • Options

Would the game use them according to their skills, or would it pick them at random and give them the necessary skills when they are assigned to the role?

It uses Sims that match requirements. If it can't find any, it'll assign skills.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top