May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

England/british style sims

Comments

• Options
    MelanieSimlishMelanieSimlish Posts: 4,432 Member
    I would love that! Although even more I would love a Switzerland inspired town. It's such a beautiful place. London is amazing too though—how much fun would it be to play as the Queen? :P
    44444.gif
  • Options
    AnnikaperiAnnikaperi Posts: 535 Member
    Looking in Wikipedia, these things seem to have different connotations in different parts of the world, and even different meanings in different parts of the same country. To me, a semi detached home would be two dwellings with a common wall front to back, being mirror images of each other, with the front doors on the same line. There would be two stories, and while they could be large, they would be relatively narrow compared to suburban houses, something you would find in the city. It’s the kind of thing you see on Love It or List It, where before they zero in completely on it, you’re thinking, “Okay, which side are they on.” Townhouses would be a row of identical houses with common side walls and doors also facing front. They would also have more than one story and would not be wide door to door. You would find these in the city, especially someplace like San Francisco. Other places seem to call these row houses or terraces.

I picture duplexes as being small, inexpensive one story homes with a common wall and a shared yard (garden). It’s not necessarily one big square divided down the middle, they might be clustered together. One front door may be set farther back than the other or otherwise displaced for design interest. I think people in the South might call these patio homes. There can be triplexes and fourplexes. This may be a Western US thing as I understand some people consider dwellings that share the floor/ceiling to be considered duplexes.

A detached home would not share any walls with another home. I think of them as probably being more than one story, having a substantial yard/garden, and being wider than a townhouse or semi detached, more square. A bungalow would be a one story, moderately sized home, square and with garden. A ranch style home would also be one story, but would be low, wide and more modern, probably found in the suburbs.

I never thought of ranch homes as something at all desirable (except for people like me with bad knees, etc., who can’t handle stairs -- not a problem for Sims), bungalows, two story homes, or townhouses, etc., being much nicer. I always thought of ranch homes as something small and unstylish with low ceilings, until I learned of the sought after mid-century ones by architects such as Joseph Eichler. Perhaps I am used to badly designed or cheaply made ones. The ones I see on television are quite beautiful.

I don’t know if my understanding of these styles is correct or shared by many people, but this is how I understand it. Real estate agents or designers might have something to add.
  • Options
    DanteEDMDanteEDM Posts: 98 Member
    I think a UK themed world would be awesome. I spent a week in London this September and it was amazing. The place was crawling with double decker buses.
    "Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge." Scott Adams
  • Options
    makanivalurmakanivalur Posts: 284 Member
    The thing they'd have to add for a proper Britain based EP would be ground elevation though. Can you image Scotland being flat? That wouldn't really work at all...
  • Options
    carrielouloucarrieloulou Posts: 145 Member
    edited October 2014
    @Carrieloulou terraced as in back to back with pigeon lofts and outside privvy ? Or something grand like the terraces of Georgian houses in Bath or Edinburgh. Just curious because it means different things to different people. Not sure what North Americans would make of the back to back terraces :)

Back to back factory town terraces! I think the sense of community would be adorable
    That being said my ideal town to have a sim world based on would be Ypres...because its my ideal town full stop.
    03_07_4---The-Market-Place--Ypres-De-Grote-Markt--Ieper_web.jpg
    Ypres-Market-Square-Plan-My-Family-Holiday.jpg

• Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I'm British and I would love to have our way of living reflected in the sims 4. I live in a terraced house, which is like a row of interconnected houses and very common in the UK. They often have a pub or small shop on the corner. Think 'Coronation Street'.

Coronation-St.jpg

The Sims 2 had the best features for recreating this with OFB and Apartment Life. With AL I could have multiple families living in different homes in one lot, and most importantly: the households were playable and I could switch between them. So I could build a row of homes and have a different household living in each one. Then OFB let us open businesses and shops on a residential lot.

These features were not available in TS3 and that was incredibly disappointing to me. I think the game should allow us to tell OUR stories, and that we should be able to reflect our own way of life. I use a lot of mods to get those features, but it's not the same as in TS2.

Here's my attempt using Ani's Apartment mod. Small rows of terraced homes and the one on the corner has been converted into a bakery. The Caliente family live in the row of terraces at the back and when I'm playing the Baker family I can hear them partying next door at 4 in the morning! XD Blimmin' noisy neighbours! Ah, #BritishProblems.

Screenshot-495.jpg

I of course would love all the country cottages and crumpets and scones that people often associate with the UK. However, I feel that those features, particularly the TS2 Apartment Life style living is so important to a TS4 world that feels like my home. :-)
  • Options
    Just adding a couple more images of the variety of terraced houses to convince the rest of the world how awesome they are! I love the red brick 'factory town terraces' that @carrieloulou mentioned! But they come in other styles, like cute country cottage style, and VERY expensive London Town House style (were the celebrities and millionaires live).

external_0.jpg

article-2253930-16AB86AF000005DC-935_634x362.jpg

It's the functionality we need! To be able to have that style living! It suits the way billions of people live all around the world! How many people also live in flats/apartments/trailer parks? Much need! Very want! ^.^
  • Options
    cornishovencornishoven Posts: 163 Member

external_0.jpg

The first house I bought looked just like one of these! It was an old miners cottage, the walls were about two foot deep built out of stone. It was very pretty, but just not practical when baby number one came along. Plus the shared access along the front and back annoyed me, as we would get neighbours peering in the windows as they walked past lol.
  • Options
    external_0.jpg

That is gorgeous. Must be North Wales.
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    I'd love for Australia have that too where hopefully the towns are in check with our ones and there's a 1 out of 3 chance you'll die by various native creatures or heat exhaustion.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @cornishoven *waves* the variety of housing within the UK is vast. My first house was a back to back which had been rendered and painted :)

Within sims games different style terraces should be possible not only the wall textures but styles as well. TS 2 had a mansions and gardens SP which had some really useful architectural bits.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Hi @Bettyboop55 . We must stop meeting like this. Ive been wondering, in your siggy it says founder member of SAVAGE. What is SAVAGE, if you dont mind me asking? :)
  • Options
    simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    It's funny to think that the american's also like our accent lol.

I'd love to go to the USA. I'd move there if I could lol.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• Options
    As we Brits have no sense of humour I set up a joke thread :) Basically it is about founding a society for the protection of distressed sims and exposing simmers who regularly torture or even murder their sims.

A clever simmer called @enkeli63 came up with the name - Society Against Violence and Game Executions. SAVAGE also run the ATRISK programme to help simmers refrain from harming their sims :):)

Long winded but you did ask :):)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    simlish1 wrote: »

Sames, I've got such a typical "posh" english accent I think I'd be able to get So many free drinks :P

• Options
    As we Brits have no sense of humour I set up a joke thread :) Basically it is about founding a society for the protection of distressed sims and exposing simmers who regularly torture or even murder their sims.

A clever simmer called @enkeli63 came up with the name - Society Against Violence and Game Executions. SAVAGE also run the ATRISK programme to help simmers refrain from harming their sims :):)

Long winded but you did ask :):)

Oh I see. I havent seen that thread (where was I? :/ ) Wait a minute, you mean to say you set up a joke thread on here and people actually realised you were joking? *gasp* Or did you get flamed lol

• Options
    edited October 2014
    @cornishoven I will leave link on your wall :) and yes most people got the joke :):)

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    My accent swings from something quite broad and Northern (when I'm feeling cheerful and silly), to something VERY posh and 'BBC' (normally when I'm annoyed). *^.^*
    *snip*

That is gorgeous. Must be North Wales.

I think you're right! They're so cute and well looked after! I like how they have benches outside, you can imagine people sitting out in the sunshine, chatting with their neighbours. ^.^

Hee hee, I think I need to join! I never ever never ever kill my sims anymore, I'm far too soft! I've only had two deaths in the whole of my time playing TS3! I used to avoid anything deathly (like the jelly bean bush and murphy bed) but have been systematically modding out all random chances of death in my game! XD I admit, I used to take away the pool ladder in TS1 but I'm reformed!

It's funny, when ghosts got patched in to TS4 I decided to make the cast of Hamlet (because of the ghost) but it meant killing off the King and I haven't been able to do it yet, it feels so unnatural! I wish we could make ghosts in CAS. ;_; So I kind of have this parallel happy universe in my game where Hamlet is no longer a tragedy: everybody lives and Hamlet and Ophelia are planning a legacy! XD

• Options
    AnnitaEatsYaAnnitaEatsYa Posts: 1,583 Member
    simlish1 wrote: »

Sames, I've got such a typical "posh" english accent I think I'd be able to get So many free drinks :P

In my life I've gone from West Yorkshire to the Isle of Man to East Yorkshire. My accent would probably get me a free drink...in the face :P
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Something very common for New England homes are the old Victorian houses that have been renovated into multiple family homes, and all the old textile mills converted into apartments. The mill apartments all have very high ceilings, are usually very poorly heated and cooled, and the outside wall was brick, so you couldn't ever hang anything on the walls. The mill apartments are usually cheap (relatively, nothing in New England is cheap), and are a lot of peoples first apartments when moving out of home. The Victorians are also usually poorly heated and cooled, because the buildings are so old, they are not usually retrofitted with modern heating. A friend of mine in grade school lived in one, and I remember being completely fascinated by the dumb waiter (which we were absolutely forbidden to play with!). New England homes also have a very steep roof to let the snow and ice slide off (every year there is still a building that collapses due to snow weight), and very steep wooden stairs on the outside of the buildings that you swear will fall every time you use them.

I like the look of your row houses, I know we have some in America, I've seen pictures of houses like them in San Francisco. I think the show Full House was supposed to take place there, and I remember being fascinated by those houses connected like that on the hill.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    MissTexasBMissTexasB Posts: 372 Member
    Scrumpy mmmmmmm <3

OK I had to look up scrumpy. Never heard of it but Wikki said it's apple cider.
  • Options
    @Piperbird1 you have no idea how envious of you I am right now :) you live in a very beautiful part of America which I have always wanted to visit :)

One thing we lack in Britain is usable space so terraced housing was very common in populous areas. We did have a fad in the 60s for high rise apartments (although not so tall as American ones). The trend these days is back to houses and of course we renovate. My first home was a Victorian back to back but having neighbours either side meant it was quite warm in winter. The building was narrow in width, with high ceilings and steep internal stairs.

The problem for this EP could well be volume of content including types of housing. If it gets produced then somebody at EA is going to have hard choices to make. Personally I think that person should be British or at least a person who has lived here.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Hello @MissTexasB and you are making me envious as well because Texas is on my list of places to see :)

Traditional British cider is made from apples. The tradition is centuries old and as a result you get both the commercially made ciders and you get scrumpy :) Scrumpy is made on farms and small holdings and unlike its commercial cousin the process is not so heavily regulated. As a result some scrumpy is pretty potent. A good scrumpy will knock your socks off and anyone not native to the West Country is strongly advised to stick to the commercial brands.

Please note as a responsible member of the community I do not advocate underage or excessive drinking :)

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    And don't forget the double-decker bus even if it is only decoration. And the red phone booth, although those are probably nearly long gone now due to cell phones, like it is in America.

Nope there everywhere still!! lol i just dont think anyone actual uses them
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    windweaver wrote: »
    To be honest, I didn't know there was that much of a difference, besides the titled nobility....and the wonderful accents! :D I know London's been around for a couple thousand years, so that's different. But really, how much is really that different? I do watch BBC America, I am in love with Netflix Primeval...is that show still being produced? Hope so, but miss Nick and Stephen terribly. Anyway, your bureaucrats are called Ministers, right? Ours are called Plumbs :s

England is very very different from America, different architecture style, different foods (fish and chips, pie and mash ect) and fashion.