Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

England/british style sims

Comments

• Options
    simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    cool idea
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I suppose you could make a fake row house like they had in Help!, it would look like row houses on the outside, but be one big home on the inside. Not the best solution, but it could be fun to try. The more people are talking about this, the more I would really like it to be real some day!
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    RosiaMia_RosiaMia_ Posts: 1,377 Member
    I miss The sims 2 aparment life lol
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Would love to see some kind of apartment life in a downtown area of a British EP :) The high rises in Bridgeport were never satisfactory because although you could hear neighbours you couldn't see into their apartments.

Although a British version would have no working lift. In many places flats which are council run have vandalised communal areas and that includes the lifts. Obviously if you are talking Mayfair or Belgravia in London then you would have a doorman and a lift operator. Not many Brits live like that though !

There is another point. Due to the rebuilding after the WW2 many inner city areas are now a mixture of terraced housing and high rise apartments. It would be good if that could be reflected in the EP. I will say it is not a phenomenon restricted to the UK, I saw similar architectural mixtures in Germany :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    carrielouloucarrieloulou Posts: 145 Member
    steve7859 wrote: »
    windweaver wrote: »
    To be honest, I didn't know there was that much of a difference, besides the titled nobility....and the wonderful accents! :D I know London's been around for a couple thousand years, so that's different. But really, how much is really that different? I do watch BBC America, I am in love with Netflix Primeval...is that show still being produced? Hope so, but miss Nick and Stephen terribly. Anyway, your bureaucrats are called Ministers, right? Ours are called Plumbs :s

England is very very different from America, different architecture style, different foods (fish and chips, pie and mash ect) and fashion.

Its a different culture entirely, which now that you mention it, is why sims cant be british....we dont knock on our neighbours doors just for a chat, we don't go on dates...we do however sleep with people we've only just met so that could work...
  • Options
    RosiaMia_RosiaMia_ Posts: 1,377 Member
    I miss The sims 2 aparment life lol
  • Options
    To be completely honest, Americans don't knock on neighbor's doors to chat, either. Americans don't really talk to each other at all. Neighbors may chat over the fence if we are outside doing yard work or washing the car, or say hi if we pass in the grocery store, but we have become a pretty antisocial and untrusting society. No one would really walk up to a group of strangers up the street and just start talking. Even if we are going to a friend's house we wouldn't knock on the door, we call them on our cells from the car to let them know we are there.
  • Options
    loyallyroyalloyallyroyal Posts: 353 Member
    edited October 2014
    #Piperbird1 I must live somewhere very strange because my neighbors will knock on the door to borrow an egg or a cup of flour, have block parties, babysit children and pets, ect. Just today I had someone knock and my door lol. I think overall Americans are a pretty trusting lot.
  • Options
    @loyallyroyal I have lived in Connecticut, Florida, eastern Kentucky, and now western Kentucky. I've stayed short term in Maine and Washington DC. In Florida people would wave and say hello when walking past a house, but other than that, I've never had the 'friendly neighbor' experience. I currently live in a new development I suppose would be called suberbia, but I couldn't even tell you my neighbor's names. The only people that come to the door are people wanting to sell things, most of the time I do not even answer the door if someone knocks.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Your experience of neighbours varies around the UK. Traditionally southerners are reserved whereas you can be standing in a bus queue in Newcastle and be chatting to the person next to you.

Villages are best for community but that is true world over. When the poor lived in slums and back to back terraces there was a strong sense of community. There had to be because it was so very crowded :)

But it isn't all grim. We have street parties to celebrate major Royal events and many places annual fetes, flower shows, fun runs and even carnivals. Our next major event will be Guy Fawkes :):)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    FWIW I split my time between Canada and South Florida and in neither location do neighbours knock on the door for an unexpected visit. That kind of neighbourly interaction is a thing of the past I think--or else it's limited to very small communities or TV sitcoms.
  • Options
    loyallyroyalloyallyroyal Posts: 353 Member
    edited October 2014
    I have lived in Staten Island and California. I have always lived in nice but older communities, with lots of family nearby. If someone new moves on the street they often have several neighbors bring them "welcome" presents, the neighborhood list with everyone's name and number, ect. If someone goes on vacation there is always a neighbor willing to take care of pets, mow the lawn, get the mail, and water the plants. Christmas time everyone exchanges cookies, ect.

My brother lives in a small town in Missouri and they are even more tight knit.

Maybe it depends on what kind of area you choose to live in. I have never lived in a "newer" area and have gone out of my way to help out and get to know my neighbors. I think having a dog helps too since everyone sees you out and about, gives an opportunity to wave and say good morning/evening, ect. A sense of community is something that is important to me, so I go out of my way to find and foster it.

Having read this thread though I realize how very lucky I am to have lived in such neighborhoods.
  • Options
    @loyallyroyal yes you are very lucky but clearly you contribute to the continuation of your community. I am currently living in a newer development in a small seaside town in southern England. At this point I could be very rude about my neighbours but it really isn't their fault. They don't get to know anyone because they don't plan to stay long. Even those with children tend to come and go within the space of 3 years or so. This is a transitory town and the only static population are the very old and those, like us, who choose to take up permanent residence.

That doesn't mean in times of crisis we ignore one another. When a car crashed into a wall of the estate we were all there within minutes, ringing for the emergency services and providing aid to the injured. Or after heavy snow clearing pathways and drives. The rest of the time the British reserve is firmly in place and it is very sad :(

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    makanivalurmakanivalur Posts: 284 Member
    I live in a terraced house (well the two upper floors of one anyway) and I only know my downstairs neighbour. He's friendly enough, helped me get a very heavy piano up the stairs when I moved in. Everybody else I nod at but that's about it. Only talk to them when they have a parcel for me lol.
    Dunno, it's not the best neighbourhood I suppose and I'm only really here because it's cheap, the landlord allows pets and it's fairly close to the beach. But then I've never known anyone except my immediate neighbours before, really. You talk to random dog walkers but again it's not like I'd stay in touch with them or anything. Dunno, maybe I'm just antisocial lol
  • Options
    --ginafz9l---ginafz9l- Posts: 330 Member
    edited November 2014
    Your experience of neighbours varies around the UK. Traditionally southerners are reserved whereas you can be standing in a bus queue in Newcastle and be chatting to the person next to you.

Villages are best for community but that is true world over. When the poor lived in slums and back to back terraces there was a strong sense of community. There had to be because it was so very crowded :)

But it isn't all grim. We have street parties to celebrate major Royal events and many places annual fetes, flower shows, fun runs and even carnivals. Our next major event will be Guy Fawkes :):)

Where I live it really just depends who lives there. We have some neighbours who do their best to avoid us and then the other day one of the others just rushed over and left her young daughter here.

I think a country village would be nice. Would be awesome, a few pubs rather than fancy bars. I always go on holiday down to Somerset and there's such a strong sense of community there.
    A pub, a small farm, a park consisting of just woodland/a flat field with maybe a football net and that's it. They also all gather once or twice a year in autumn where all the farmers and locals auction their produce - I've been, it's so funny!

I don't know how easy or difficult that would be to do, but I think it could come with a seasons-like expansion.
    Just about all the phone boxes are gone. We still have red post boxes on street corners.

Objects for the game would have to include macs, wellies, and umbrellas.

I would love to hear Simlish spoken with a Geordie accent that would be amazing :)

Of course the food would have to include deep fried chocolate bars and black pudding :)

And the busses! Not necessarily red ( although where I live - which is veeery far from London has red ones). Fish and chips <3
    @cornishoven *waves* the variety of housing within the UK is vast. My first house was a back to back which had been rendered and painted :)

Within sims games different style terraces should be possible not only the wall textures but styles as well. TS 2 had a mansions and gardens SP which had some really useful architectural bits.

Yup, I live in a 5 year old apartment. We were the first to move in, and they are not traditional at all xD
    Who remembers Keeping Up Appearances??

Keeping Up Appearances was amazing xD I still see it on the TV every now and again :p

-

I think the only problem would be the lack of open world - couldn't have the busses, or taxis...

---

Ooops maybe I wrote too much..
    Post edited by --ginafz9l- on
  • Options
    @--ginafz9l- you can never say too much about home :) we all love it for different reasons :) I don't think EA could ever fit it all into an EP and certainly not without stereotyping :)

Somerset is very very wet, windy and cold today :)

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    wonderful thread, lots of great ideas and super photos, I too would love a uk ep bringing a mix of the country and the city, I created my home in sims4 its a semi detached ( without its garage ) sadly I cant add the mirror image of our neighbor's home as the lot size's dont allow, I loved apartment life, and think to have an EP like that again would be great,

if we get cars, then we need caravans ! we can then have the whole camping experience for out Sims!
    Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

• Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    Im British and yes i drink tea, i love tea i actually have amazing teeth and no i dont drink booze everyday. You Americans are so wrong about us brits and the bad teeth thing? I have never meet a brit with bad teeth.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    Ik the myth about teeth lol, my teeth as said by my dentist are 'perfect' and I don't need a checkup for a whole year. ;p oh yeah

tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    MunchyMunchy Posts: 513 Member
    English food!!!
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited December 2014
    Thatched roof cottages, ancient castles, stonehenge, tiny dickensian style terraced houses, pubs!, football (soccer to you), the gentle swish of crickets bats on the lawn while ladies in floral dresses sip tea on the patio... Ok Im getting too British now. Lol
    Oh, and I am a full Brit, born and bred... and I have never seen a red double decker bus in my life. Too many movies :D

Are you Cornish? We have red double-deckers across the county border in Plymouth...

1049.jpg

We also have black cabs and there is a red phonebox and postbox right outside my flat.

Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    Ben1010Ben1010 Posts: 270 Member
    I would really love to see authentic Tudor buildings with dark wooden beams on the walls and ceilings and old stone castles! Also wouldn't it be cool if you could make your Sims go to a Roman Bath spa town like Bath! It's not all just Union Jacks, Red letter boxes and double decker buses you know ;)
  • Options
    thesimsfairy47thesimsfairy47 Posts: 6,116 Member
    Perhaps in future expansion packs their will be a neighborhood based on London or Cambridge :D
    Sims 5 artstyle poll Here
    monday-to-friday-workweek-graphic.jpg
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited December 2014
    So_Money wrote: »
    I'd also like to see:

- basement flats

I live in a basement flat. Sorta. It's basement if you enter the front of the building, but ground floor at the rear. This building is built on a slope. There is a basement flat at the front too.
  • Options
    I would really love to see authentic Tudor buildings with dark wooden beams on the walls and ceilings and old stone castles! Also wouldn't it be cool if you could make your Sims go to a Roman Bath spa town like Bath! It's not all just Union Jacks, Red letter boxes and double decker buses you know ;)

A spa town like Bath Spa would be fantastic. It cannot be called a city as it has no cathedral but it does have an amazing Abbey, beautiful Georgian Terraces, Victorian back to backs, and the Avon running through it. It would make an excellent model for a sim world :)

Sim enim est vita