Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Care Throwback Meshes Are Recolors?

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I can see they are not actual recolors, but I absolutely hate the idea of kits so I picked the yea it bothers me.

I've been playing a lot of TS3 recently without any mods and the amount of different clothing you can make is astronomical. Sure the meshes are outdated and pretty ugly tbh, but you can fix that with create a style easy. Makes me think they did not include any version of the feature in the new game purely because they can sell more clothes to us that way.

Now TS3 CaSt...that's recoloring.

Evidently that's what some people want. Fair enough.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    Yes, and I won't repay for a recolor.
    The difference is in some of the meshes they do look exactly the same mesh. A recolor is a simple recoloring of the parts of a texture. A retexture is actually retexturing something so it may have a similar shape but look very different. Such as the short skirts pictured. I'm sorry but that looks like the same skirt mesh to me. Since I know how to do this in TS2 (not tried to make cc for TS4) I can see too many similarities to say these are all new created meshes. Since I know how to alter an existing mesh to slightly be higher at the waist and or change the shape slightly (jacket with top underneath) I'm not exactly sure Maxis built these meshes from scratch. A few flicks on an existing mesh and viola you have a different look. But you can also achieve this simply by retexturing some things without ever touching the mesh shape. Perhaps I should have asked if you don't mind paying for retextures since now you know the difference of that and a recolor.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The difference is in some of the meshes they do look exactly the same mesh. A recolor is a simple recoloring of the parts of a texture. A retexture is actually retexturing something so it may have a similar shape but look very different. Such as the short skirts pictured. I'm sorry but that looks like the same skirt mesh to me. Since I know how to do this in TS2 (not tried to make cc for TS4) I can see too many similarities to say these are all new created meshes. Since I know how to alter an existing mesh to slightly be higher at the waist and or change the shape slightly (jacket with top underneath) I'm not exactly sure Maxis built these meshes from scratch. A few flicks on an existing mesh and viola you have a different look. But you can also achieve this simply by retexturing some things without ever touching the mesh shape. Perhaps I should have asked if you don't mind paying for retextures since now you know the difference of that and a recolor.

I mean most games don't make everything from scratch. They have base modest and if they have good mesh that they can use they will.
    Not sure did you look those pics but but they are so different, not only by lenght. That needs a bit more than just few clicks. Note that these are 3d clothes and sims 2 clothes were mostly 2d. So even if they did retuxturing, they have changed every part of that mesh.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    This is how folks just jump on the band wagon and blindly agree with everything that’s being said on social media without taking the time to look at the specifics.
    When the majority says these clothes are recolors then it must be so. Let’s complain along.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I don't think they are recolors by definition but people do call them that because of the incerdible similarity to each other. They are not only similar styles, they are the same outfit with some changes.
    The problem is if you take the meshes from previous packs and make slight alterations, sorry but you are not doing much work if you're gonna charge 5$ for it.

People can go ahead and play "find the differences" with these to prove the point that they are not recolours by definition. But thing is, the clothes share so similar meshes, it makes you wonder how much work they put into them to charge 5$ per copy.

I find it hilarious that people even have to compare the clothes to find the differences, that's how similar these are.

@SimmerGeorge
    Casually using a term for something that it is not is no way to start a conversation though. This is how misunderstandings happen. “Oh we just call it that way. Let’s just call a turkey a chicken, shall we? They’re similar, right? And they both end up on my plate (or not).”

That’s just not good enough. Because folks actually believe these are just recolors: An existing mesh that has been re-textured or simply painted over, thus very little work is involved. Photoshop Paintbucket Fill stuff. Click, click, done. (Which is not what “recoloring” is but it is perceived that way.)

I’d be surprised if the team did not use a simple template mesh ( Pants. Tops) and re-model and sculpt it based on reference images that they collected. I can see from the comparison that the folds and details of these outfits are completely different. At a glance they look similar (because sport outfit ) however... they’re not. But it doesn’t matter because folks have already made up their minds about it. And I hope those who have invested in the kit can enjoy it regardless. No worries. 👍🏼
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    This is how folks just jump on the band wagon and blindly agree with everything that’s being said on social media without taking the time to look at the specifics.
    When the majority says these clothes are recolors then it must be so. Let’s complain along.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I don't think they are recolors by definition but people do call them that because of the incerdible similarity to each other. They are not only similar styles, they are the same outfit with some changes.
    The problem is if you take the meshes from previous packs and make slight alterations, sorry but you are not doing much work if you're gonna charge 5$ for it.

People can go ahead and play "find the differences" with these to prove the point that they are not recolours by definition. But thing is, the clothes share so similar meshes, it makes you wonder how much work they put into them to charge 5$ per copy.

I find it hilarious that people even have to compare the clothes to find the differences, that's how similar these are.

@SimmerGeorge
    Casually using a term for something that it is not is no way to start a conversation though. This is how misunderstandings happen. “Oh we just call it that way. Let’s just call a turkey a chicken, shall we? They’re similar, right? And they both end up on my plate (or not).”

That’s just not good enough. Because folks actually believe these are just recolors: An existing mesh that has been re-textured or simply painted over, thus very little work is involved. Photoshop Paintbucket Fill stuff. Click, click, done. (Which is not what “recoloring” is but it is perceived that way.)

I’d be surprised if the team did not use a simple template mesh ( Pants. Tops) and re-model and sculpt it based on reference images that they collected. I can see from the comparison that the folds and details of these outfits are completely different. At a glance they look similar (because sport outfit ) however... they’re not. But it doesn’t matter because folks have already made up their minds about it. And I hope those who have invested in the kit can enjoy it regardless. No worries. 👍🏼

Why not open the mesh and find out? I think you would change your mind about many of the clothes in TS4. ETA: Folds in TS2 are not caused or on the mesh, it's in the texture. Created by the texture. You can use one mesh to make a thousand different looking skirts etc. Folds or no folds etc. It's in the texture. I see reused meshes in TS4 all the time when I look at the clothes you guys get in packs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

@SimmerGeorge

Why not open the mesh and find out? I think you would change your mind about many of the clothes in TS4.

Yes there is some recolors like t shirts from my little pet stuff. But we talked about these.

11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member

@SimmerGeorge

Why not open the mesh and find out? I think you would change your mind about many of the clothes in TS4. ETA: Folds in TS2 are not caused or on the mesh, it's in the texture. Created by the texture. You can use one mesh to make a thousand different looking skirts etc. Folds or no folds etc. It's in the texture. I see reused meshes in TS4 all the time when I look at the clothes you guys get in packs.

And yet when someone like Grimcookies - who actually creates CC for TS4 - shows and explains that the meshes are not the same, his opinion doesn't matter. Since some people apparently don't care to look at his tweet, he wrote "None of these items are the same. They all have significant differences in-game that make that obvious."
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

@SimmerGeorge

And yet when someone like Grimcookies - who actually creates CC for TS4 - shows and explains that the meshes are not the same, his opinion doesn't matter. Since some people apparently don't care to look at his tweet, he wrote "None of these items are the same. They all have significant differences in-game that make that obvious."

@Netzspannung Grimcookis is an EA gamechanger. And there are tons of people who have made CC and claim the meshes are new but are slightly modified to be different, cause why would they even recreate the jacket with the crop top when they already have the mesh they can use as a fountation. Same for the pants. Pants in the Sims 4 seem to all use the same fountation. It's that pant above the ankle we keep getting again and again.

At this point it's his word against someone else's word, nobody knows for sure yet the clothes in this kit are at least suspicious.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    edited March 2021

@SimmerGeorge

@Netzspannung Grimcookis is an EA gamechanger. And there are tons of people who have made CC and claim the meshes are new but are slightly modified to be different, cause why would they even recreate the jacket with the crop top when they already have the mesh they can use as a fountation. Same for the pants. Pants in the Sims 4 seem to all use the same fountation. It's that pant above the ankle we keep getting again and again.

At this point it's his word against someone else's word, nobody knows for sure yet the clothes in this kit are at least suspicious.

The pants that were pictured in a thread here somewhere was up against pants that we see in this thread. The only difference I saw was the waist band and of course that was created by a texture not the actual mesh. It seemed to me by comparing the two (in a different thread) they were the same mesh only a different texture to look like one was a different type with a waistband and the other (the blue ones here) were workout gym pants with elastic. I really saw no difference at all when they were side by side other than the textures to make them look like different types of pants which led me to believe it's all in the texture. Which people mistakenly call 'recolors' but I call retextured.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    to add to my earlier point,
    I think I'd be fine with recolors and/or remeshes, if the outcome would actually look new and not so dang similar to something we already have in game. Idk tho how different one can make an item just by recoloring....

I mean, isn't that the whole problem?
    even tho the clothes doesnt look exactly the same, it does look very similar, the style doesnt seem new at all.
    I think that is what many people dont like, it's not really how it was made, it's the outcome.
    Well...at least for me it is...
    if they manage to make something that actually looks unique and different enough from what we already got, I don't care if they got there by recoloring and/or remeshing.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    to add to my earlier point,
    I think I'd be fine with recolors and/or remeshes, if the outcome would actually look new and not so dang similar to something we already have in game. Idk tho how different one can make an item just by recoloring....

I mean, isn't that the whole problem?
    even tho the clothes doesnt look exactly the same, it does look very similar, the style doesnt seem new at all.
    I think that is what many people dont like, it's not really how it was made, it's the outcome.
    Well...at least for me it is...
    if they manage to make something that actually looks unique and different enough from what we already got, I don't care if they got there by recoloring and/or remeshing.

Understandable. It is the style of clothes like a jacket with a tank underneath or crop top or whatever they are called today that Maxis has been doing since 2004.
  • Options
    Which people mistakenly call 'recolors' but I call retextured.

@Cinebar Retextured, or slightly altered mesh or a recolor to me is same difference in this context because what people are trying to say is that they don't see a lot of hard work put in those outfits. The fact that they are using the incorrect vocabulary of course shouldn't happen but at the end of the day they are trying to say that they don't see a lot of creativity, effort and maybe even time put in these pieces of CAS and that to them is a dealbreaker.

I think that's a fair thing to say even if it was expressed in an incorrect way.
  • Options
    MarinuttonenMarinuttonen Posts: 165 Member
    Just as a former 3D animation & visual student & game dev, I can chime in with actual knowledge.

Organic, complex asymmetrical shapes like the jacket & crop top in the kit are tedious and laborous to work into new shapes. Angular simple shapes (most furniture) are very easy to clone & edit. So while I think they probably reworked the mesh of the tennis skirt from the exercise pack, the jacket is probably a new mesh, as reworking an old mesh that much would probably take even longer than whipping up a new one.

Which is why I'm way more upset about the kitchen set than the CAS set, since kitchen counters & their variants can be done by someone who knows what they're doing in like few days (not counting the design/ concept stage) , while the CAS items probably took a lot longer. The whole item limit thing is such bull for this reason.
    Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Just as a former 3D animation & visual student & game dev, I can chime in with actual knowledge.

Organic, complex asymmetrical shapes like the jacket & crop top in the kit are tedious and laborous to work into new shapes. Angular simple shapes (most furniture) are very easy to clone & edit. So while I think they probably reworked the mesh of the tennis skirt from the exercise pack, the jacket is probably a new mesh, as reworking an old mesh that much would probably take even longer than whipping up a new one.

Which is why I'm way more upset about the kitchen set than the CAS set, since kitchen counters & their variants can be done by someone who knows what they're doing in like few days (not counting the design/ concept stage) , while the CAS items probably took a lot longer. The whole item limit thing is such bull for this reason.

But those who work in CAS and not with 3D objects can spin this stuff out in a few hours due to their experience with the tools and editors or whatever they use to create clothes (have no idea what Maxis uses) so by their expertise they can do it in a few short hours or even less if they have been doing it for years and years. People get faster the more familiar they are with the tools and how things work. Those who work on custom content for these games may take a few days or hours or weeks, to make one item depending on how familiar they have become with the tools they use. So, it really wouldn't take a dev in CAS days to create one top or even a whole outfit if they have twenty years of experience. Maybe an hour or less. (especially for tank tops)
  • Options
    edited March 2021

@SimmerGeorge

The pants that were pictured in a thread here somewhere was up against pants that we see in this thread. The only difference I saw was the waist band and of course that was created by a texture not the actual mesh. It seemed to me by comparing the two (in a different thread) they were the same mesh only a different texture to look like one was a different type with a waistband and the other (the blue ones here) were workout gym pants with elastic. I really saw no difference at all when they were side by side other than the textures to make them look like different types of pants which led me to believe it's all in the texture. Which people mistakenly call 'recolors' but I call retextured.

nope they are not.the mesh change, really clear when u look your sims in different angles/rotate your sims . Totally different mesh with similar look.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options

@Marinuttonen Also yes people on Twitter are actually talking about the kitchen objects too. In fact, the most liked comment on the Sims twitter post was someone mentioning that the 15 Build objects they made must have probably taken just a few days and that they don't see how the are worth 5$ per copy.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

@Cinebar Retextured, or slightly altered mesh or a recolor to me is same difference in this context because what people are trying to say is that they don't see a lot of hard work put in those outfits. The fact that they are using the incorrect vocabulary of course shouldn't happen but at the end of the day they are trying to say that they don't see a lot of creativity, effort and maybe even time put in these pieces of CAS and that to them is a dealbreaker.

I think that's a fair thing to say even if it was expressed in an incorrect way.

I agree with you. I wasn't pointing out you used the terms incorrectly we all say recolors for twenty years when maybe I should say different swatch or whatever terms TS4 uses. People in TS2 say recolors which can cover a simple different color or a different texture. But it's all the same mesh in many cases, recoloring is simple in many cases, retexturing takes more time because you can add things that were not there before...and why meshes being reused is evident in TS4 a lot of the times. Like folds of a bottom or skirt or whatever. I'm Not fussing at anyone using the wrong terms. I say recolors myself. But a different swatch could maybe have explained what I meant in the title of my thread. Because a swatch could be wool or silk...lol Maybe I should have said swatches since so many are pointing out to me I'm wrong, but I don't think so because I see the same pants you do.
  • Options

I agree with you. I wasn't pointing out you used the terms incorrectly we all say recolors for twenty years when maybe I should say different swatch or whatever terms TS4 uses. People in TS2 say recolors which can cover a simple different color or a different texture. But it's all the same mesh in many cases, recoloring is simple in many cases, retexturing takes more time because you can add things that were not there before...and why meshes being reused is evident in TS4 a lot of the times. Like folds of a bottom or skirt or whatever. I'm fussing at anyone using the wrong terms I say recolors myself. But a different swatch could maybe explain what I meant in the title of my thread. Because a swatch could be wool or silk...lol

but im trying to say that IT IS NOT the same mesh, it's really different. It looks different shape in every angle if you spin you're sims in cas.
    game devs do that in everygame , they may have base meshes , or uses different meshes sleevs to make something else. They are still so different
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I agree with you. I wasn't pointing out you used the terms incorrectly we all say recolors for twenty years when maybe I should say different swatch or whatever terms TS4 uses. People in TS2 say recolors which can cover a simple different color or a different texture. But it's all the same mesh in many cases, recoloring is simple in many cases, retexturing takes more time because you can add things that were not there before...and why meshes being reused is evident in TS4 a lot of the times. Like folds of a bottom or skirt or whatever. I'm fussing at anyone using the wrong terms I say recolors myself. But a different swatch could maybe explain what I meant in the title of my thread. Because a swatch could be wool or silk...lol

but im trying to say that IT IS NOT the same mesh, it's really different. It looks different shape in every angle if you spin you're sims in cas.
    game devs do that in everygame , they may have base meshes , or uses different meshes sleevs to make something else. They are still so different

Do you mean the skirt pictured or the pants? I don't agree every game by Maxis uses a base mesh then just adds or takes away something to make it slightly different. To my knowledge they claim everything in all these games is made from scratch. ETA: But TS4's CAS may be the only one where I might questioned them about that. ETA: I was also critical of TS3's store where couches and other things like that looked like the same 3D couch to me, but with a different swatch to make it look a different style....but I would say something and everyone would say no, no it's a different couch, lol, I was not convinced since I saw the same detail of a previous couch just with a different swatch that made it look slightly different than the one before.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Do you mean the skirt pictured or the pants? I don't agree every game by Maxis uses a base mesh then just adds or takes away something to make it slightly different. To my knowledge they claim everything in all these games is made from scratch.

both, everything in that picture in that tweet. english is not my native language so i try to explain as good as i can but. most games do, if you would look those clothes like they would be a sculp in 3D they are different looking and shaped differently on every angle when you rotate the mesh 360 degree. I don't know where they claim but would want to see that statement ?

edit : sims 4 meshes have 3D details, so if they would just use some other color/texture in that object, you could just see that the mesh is still the same but just that it's different color or that the 'fabric' is different, not the mesh it self
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options

@SimmerGeorge

So my choice is between you - who as far as I know does not create CAS items - and Grimcookies - who has created several CAS items for years as well as what I can see with my own eyes. I think I'll go with the latter, thank you.

@Netzspannung So does this.
  • Options
    g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    Do you have pictures? Also, I don’t see an option for my answer.

I can create my own meshes and recolours/retextures, but don’t want to. I just want to play the game. I would, therefore, be happy to pay them for more recoloured/retextured meshes as there are clothes/objects that I love, but don’t like the existing colours and/or patterns, or they don’t match other clothes/objects, so I never use them.

The throwback set is a sign that they are finally going to create ‘mix and match’ clothing sets so I’m thrilled. It still takes time for them to recolour/retexture meshes anyway if your allegation is true.

For starters, I would love it if they recoloured the ceiling fans to include more wood colours, and retextured the washers and dryers to match the base game stainless steel high end fridge.

And for those that will suggest I use custom content, I’m not interested in other people’s recolours (especially those that constantly bad mouth and spread misinformation about EA/Maxis and their employees while earning a living riding on the Sims’ coattails).
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't think they're recolors of anything, just samey design to a lot of stuff already there. I guess it's decent to have more options for anyone who likes that style but I personally couldn't care for it.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    No, Because this is a common practice in TS4 and doesn't bother me.
    Although the clothes look like recolours they are different in style. Personally I don’t really care about recolours with items or even reused gameplay features. It’s what the sims 4 does and I don’t see why people get so annoyed about it.
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I've compared the screenshots that were provided and also had a closer look at the skirt in game, and they don't look like recolours. Similar in style perhaps, but that's about it.

Here are the screenshots that I took:
    oecUE9w.png

Av6Jd3Y.png

You can see that there is some slight dimension to pleated skirt, and the length is also longer. The mesh of these two skirts are not the same. Regardless of whether they made this mesh from scratch or tweaked a basic template, it's neither a recolour nor a retexture.

This is a classic example of a recolour: a base game T-shirt and the same T-shirt from My First Pet Stuff.
    aytg50C.png

Personally, I couldn't be happier with the clothing items in this kit. I love the aesthetic and I'm already getting plenty of use out of these outfits. If it's similarities that you dislike, then that's a totally valid and fair point. However, the items in this kit are very clearly not recolours of meshes that we already have.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top