Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Care Throwback Meshes Are Recolors?

Comments

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2021
    No, Because this is a common practice in TS4 and doesn't bother me.
    If this was a much bigger pack with a bigger price tag I would care more.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Mareah wrote: »
    When it comes to the items posted above, they fit their theme, but going with designs that stood out more might be better for this particular kit. I am no expert on 80s athletic attire, though. Are there more unique pieces they could have went with instead?

Anyway, i am the type of person who would skip a kit if it had too many items that looked to me similar enough to ones i already have, even if in the end they are not the same. Oh, and straight up recolors would be even worse since i dont care about buying those too.
    I do find their choices odd, as someone who happened to own 80’s athletic wear in the 80’s and early 90’s. I would have expected leotards, tights, leg warmers, over size ripped/extra wide/off shoulder tees, short shorts & high striped socks for men, bright colored wind breaker jackets (the ones in the pack don’t look wind breaker-ish to me), and some high pony tail hair with scrunchies and feathered bangs. As cliché as it seems we did wear that stuff, I may still have some of the tshirts and scrunchies.. :D
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Thank you for clarifying that @Netzspannung

I didn't think they looked exactly the same. Similar certainly. But it bothers me when people post things as fact when it's not actually fact, as this is how some of us manage to get misled.

I did immediately think they looked too much like what we already have, so I am not interested in buying this Kit pack anyway. We already have so many clothing items in the game that are so like other clothing items in the game. They need to come up with something that differs more to get my attention :)
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I have looked at them and I don't actually think they're recolours. They look similar and what I blame them for is that they're unsinpiring and boring, but not recolours.
  • Options
    iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    They look like new meshes to me, although I wouldn't blame people for noticing how similar they are.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    No, I don't care, I can't recolor clothes and don't mind paying more for recolored meshes.
    I saw the similarity but liked the colors and style so I bought the kit. I'm not really sure how this is a big deal to anyone. If you don't like a kit, don't buy it. The sport top and open track jacket style was huge in 90s and it's still my one of my favorite looks.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2021
    Yes, and I won't repay for a recolor.
    The reason for them selling recolors is the same as them selling Neighborhoods that is hidden behind packs as the end user no longer possess the tools to recolor items themselves another feature EA/Maxis recalled so they can profit off of it. EA/Maxis thought about it and probably wondered how many customers care about what they done?
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    UniqueKhaosUniqueKhaos Posts: 470 Member
    None of the above. The items are similar but not identical so they can’t be considered recolors.

I feel like this kit is more 90s streetwear than 80s/90s workout gear. I wasn’t looking for the stereotypical leggings, leg warmers and leotards. More Fila and Reebok “urban wear” than Richard Simmons.

I think the confusion comes in with the terms “athleisure” and “fit”. Athleisure is a newer term. In the Black community we’ve worn “workout” clothes (ie tracksuits, “sweat suits”, tennis skirts, sports jerseys etc) for years as normal outfits but until recently it was never called athleisure. And the term “fit” for us is short for outfit. So I think these terms probably caused people to associate the kit with exercise or working out and that’s not necessarily what the TS4 team meant.

I have a few pictures myself and friends in bright colored tennis skirts, crop tops and jackets very similar to what’s included in this kit..and let’s not forget the hat. Iconic. Very 90s streetwear. And I had a dress exactly like the polo style one it was made by Fila as everyday wear not workout clothing.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2021
    According to what the Sims team intended looking at the Kits Origin store page description, this kit is supposed to be based on the 90s.
    Outfit your Sims in retro-inspired athleisure looks with The Sims™ 4 Throwback Fit Kit*. Take it back to nostalgic colors, bold patterns and trend-forward silhouettes with these all-new Create-a-Sim items. Updated everyday classics and workout wear elevate this unique collection — and your Sim’s fashion.

KEY FEATURES:
    • Get Fit in Style — Hit the gym or take it easy at home with 19 comfortable, sporty pieces that call back to the energy and simplicity of the ‘90s. Show off with bright colors, modular shapes and unexpected details that are sure to catch the eye.
    • Top It Off — The kids might not have been around for it the first time, but now they can discover the neon joy of the past. Dress them up to impress with 5 child versions and one toddler version of the adult clothing items. Bucket hats for everyone!

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    It's not the first or last time that this EA team are going to grab an item or two and restyle them and put them in a new pack.

Am i concerned? yes and no.
    Yes, because if it works on the small scale it can work on other bigger things in the game one day and then it becomes less about getting something new and more about how lazy one can get redecorating an item already in the game and selling it in a new pack. So watch what they do when it happens.

No, because it's a quick way to grab profits and i'm not surprised if the developers take the path of least resistance to do it, as in not wasting resources in the process to make money on.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited March 2021
    So which clothes are just recolours?

None of them are if you actually care to look at the meshes. Grimcookies took pictures of the items in CAS to demonstrate, so I will just leave his tweet here.

Yeah, I was sitting here scratching my head wondering what so called recolors people were talking about because those are new meshes which is just easy to see by the eye. They've definitely been guilty of CAS items (and build/buy ones) that are recolors in some packs, but these are definitely new meshes.

People gonna pull a muscle hurting themselves for all the reaching they're doing. :p

Pieces of clothing looking similar but not recolors much like in real life? IMPOSSIBUL.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I used to care a lot actually, but it doesn’t bother me anymore.
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    I mean.. they are not just recolors, meshes are different. Similar style tho.
    It can be just me since i got irl soo many clothes that has different cuts, sleeves, patterns, shapes and waist lines. But has the same kind of style.
    So some might not like that they got similar styled clothes, the meshes are different tho. But luckily for tho who don't like it, they don't have to buy it and maybe they get something else in next game/expansion pack since these won't take space for these packs. It's win-win imo :smiley:
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    imho Sims 4 is generally lacking diverse and unique styles, alot of the clothes have a similar cut and/or combination going on, especially the pants. On the other hand it's hard to find matching colors especially for the clothes that are unique (black and white alone differ alot...like, there is one skirt I really like but I cant for the life of me find a top that fits the colors).

So yeah...idk...
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Well, they're not recolors so...no.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SimmerJillerskiSimmerJillerski Posts: 56 Member
    The clothes look too similar for me. And the country kitchen uses a literal recolor of a basegame wall
  • Options
    summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    No, I don't care, I can't recolor clothes and don't mind paying more for recolored meshes.
    I really don't care or mind, as it's my money and my choice whether I want to spend it or not.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I don't care much whether they're new or redone. I personally don't care for them either way.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    MarinuttonenMarinuttonen Posts: 165 Member
    I can see they are not actual recolors, but I absolutely hate the idea of kits so I picked the yea it bothers me.

I've been playing a lot of TS3 recently without any mods and the amount of different clothing you can make is astronomical. Sure the meshes are outdated and pretty ugly tbh, but you can fix that with create a style easy. Makes me think they did not include any version of the feature in the new game purely because they can sell more clothes to us that way.
    Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I can see they are not actual recolors, but I absolutely hate the idea of kits so I picked the yea it bothers me.

I've been playing a lot of TS3 recently without any mods and the amount of different clothing you can make is astronomical. Sure the meshes are outdated and pretty ugly tbh, but you can fix that with create a style easy. Makes me think they did not include any version of the feature in the new game purely because they can sell more clothes to us that way.

Yep they sure did.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    None of the above. The items are similar but not identical so they can’t be considered recolors.

I feel like this kit is more 90s streetwear than 80s/90s workout gear. I wasn’t looking for the stereotypical leggings, leg warmers and leotards. More Fila and Reebok “urban wear” than Richard Simmons.

I think the confusion comes in with the terms “athleisure” and “fit”. Athleisure is a newer term. In the Black community we’ve worn “workout” clothes (ie tracksuits, “sweat suits”, tennis skirts, sports jerseys etc) for years as normal outfits but until recently it was never called athleisure. And the term “fit” for us is short for outfit. So I think these terms probably caused people to associate the kit with exercise or working out and that’s not necessarily what the TS4 team meant.

I have a few pictures myself and friends in bright colored tennis skirts, crop tops and jackets very similar to what’s included in this kit..and let’s not forget the hat. Iconic. Very 90s streetwear. And I had a dress exactly like the polo style one it was made by Fila as everyday wear not workout clothing.

This is exactly what i thought when i saw the clothes. While it wasn't my style you could see a lot of people wearing this everyday style in the 90's...
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    This is how folks just jump on the band wagon and blindly agree with everything that’s being said on social media without taking the time to look at the specifics.
    When the majority says these clothes are recolors then it must be so. Let’s complain along.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I don't think they are recolors by definition but people do call them that because of the incerdible similarity to each other. They are not only similar styles, they are the same outfit with some changes.
    The problem is if you take the meshes from previous packs and make slight alterations, sorry but you are not doing much work if you're gonna charge 5$ for it.

People can go ahead and play "find the differences" with these to prove the point that they are not recolours by definition. But thing is, the clothes share so similar meshes, it makes you wonder how much work they put into them to charge 5$ per copy.

I find it hilarious that people even have to compare the clothes to find the differences, that's how similar these are.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    This is how folks just jump on the band wagon and blindly agree with everything that’s being said on social media without taking the time to look at the specifics.
    When the majority says these clothes are recolors then it must be so. Let’s complain along.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 I don't think they are recolors by definition but people do call them that because of the incerdible similarity to each other. They are not only similar styles, they are the same outfit with some changes.
    The problem is if you take the meshes from previous packs and make slight alterations, sorry but you are not doing much work if you're gonna charge 5$ for it.

People can go ahead and play "find the differences" with these to prove the point that they are not recolours by definition. But thing is, the clothes share so similar meshes, it makes you wonder how much work they put into them to charge 5$ per copy.

I find it hilarious that people even have to compare the clothes to find the differences, that's how similar these are.

Well, it's also kind of hilarious that some people have to stretch a fact to make a false point.

The "everything is recycled" argument has a repetitive tendency to be premature and poorly investigated.
    #Team Occult
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top