Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you Complete Sims' Lifetime Wishes?

I decided to make this poll because I have a sim who's about to become an elder who hasn't completed her LTW and I feel bad.

Do you Complete Sims' Lifetime Wishes? 85 votes

Almost always!
43%
nickibitswardJoBass24uscarlystur03suzsesRflong7ilovejewel17SurrealAnmirlaParyOmairafruitsbasket101PC5337Mikezumihannekemuffinakaniki0SimplyJenstarguruJACKIEJOYmw1525IreneSwift 37 votes
Most of the time, with a few exceptions.
25%
Emily4331BloosmooMamaSimTeeyoashmoSeera1024cwaddellSteffstarsmurf45bluebecomingjennRipleyrawrInfraGreendeskitabenson2006GITTE2001ForeverRandom2183bienchensimesmerizedWaterdragonNindigoIVXXXVI 22 votes
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
20%
KarinLPuddinroyjillbgGabbyGirlJlisasc360gamerplaya94igazorKarritzbecks1112EvaKoukShira3000KNORearGamingTweetyTalonflareRememberJoyLucidLennyBobbilicious 17 votes
Every once in a while.
2%
emorrillmeljones 2 votes
Hardly ever!
8%
AthenaOnyxGraceyManorrednenemontexxx78Zeixstxrrysequencepopstarsley 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Almost always!
    Always. Some of my Sims even complete several LTWs.

But then, my saves progress slowly, either on epic or with aging off. If I used a shorter lifespan, I doubt I would manage to accomplish everyone’s LTW.
  • Options
    TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,717 Member
    Almost always!
    I voted "Almost always", but then again, I'm playing on epic timescales, so this is generally a non-issue, as there's enough time (I had most of the family kids fulfill their wishes before adulthood). Also, I will change a lifetime wish that is impossible to fulfill in a specific world (like IP-related wishes) in case I don't want to change town. One other exception: I won't do some of the Ambitions-related wishes that involve lots of stylist or build mode use, as that will bring down the savegame after a while and I don't enjoy this enough for it to tip the scales.

On a normal timescale, I can see that I would handle this in a more relaxed way and not feel bad about the sims not getting to the finish line. I can already see that my general attitude here is changing, because all these "perfect" sims in my main family get a bit too samey.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited March 2020
    Almost always!
    I want to say Always but there's probably been a time or two when I totally forgot about a sim (or didn't care). I bet it would be a real challenge to get LTWs done on short lifespan.

My lifespan settings aren't that long (Baby 2 • Toddler 5 • Child 7 • Teen 12 • Young Adult 22 • Adult 24 • Elder 14 • = 86) but I use NRaas: Relativity to lengthen days plus I micro-manage everything.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    Almost always!
    I do, but then again I age my sims up whenever I feel like, so I do have a lot of time to do it.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Almost always!
    I generally pick skill based LTWs to suit my sims' personalities. I play on a normal lifespan and mostly leave my sims to their own devices so the occasional sim's LTW slips through the cracks but they usually achieve them.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Almost always!
    My sims always complete their LTWs, even on normal lifespans and without Relativity in play (and until recently, without vacations). I pick LTWs that relate to activities my sims will do anyway, either because the wishes are in line with my goals for them (skills, careers), or the goals will get achieved naturally without much effort (e.g. Super Popular for social sims, the money ones for rich kids). If I know I'm going to move out a kid soon after they age up to YA, I'll pick a wish they can achieve as a teenager. The only LTWs I don't try to achieve are those of sims that marry into the family and immediately move out, but then I don't really think of them as "my" sims, just my sims' love interests.

I tend to see my sims' wishes as part of their personalities just like their traits, and it would make me feel bad not to give them that fulfillment. Besides, it's nice to see them working towards long-term goals and imagining their excitement when they finally get there.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Once upon a time my Sims never completed their lifetime wish, unless they did it by accident. I had a go at completing a few of them occasionally but usually lost interest in the game long before the wish was achieved. Now I'm making videos I often try to get a sim to achieve their LTW as part of the video story.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited March 2020
    Hardly ever!
    I feel like the aspirations and lifetime wishes were more important to gameplay in previous versions so I always do them in TS3!

For me, in TS4, they feel very inconsequential. I always forget about them due to the fact that you can change them at any moment and the actual Simmie couldn’t care any less about them. I wish they had more of an impact on the flow of TS4!
  • Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    Almost always!
    I always complete their LTW, haven't missed one so far :)!

I assign LTWs which are unrelated to the Sims skill, suggested personality via traits or work interest, this makes creating strategies for success more fun for me. For example, a Sim who works in Law Enforcement may have a LTW of Jack of All Trades or Professional Author and not one related to Law Enforcement. Or, a Sim in the business of entertainment may have Chess Legend or Perfect Mind, Perfect Body instead of Super Popular.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    @popstarissa This is a Sims 3 thread, so you should’ve put “Almost Always” because it’s referring to Sims 3 sims.
  • Options
    SteffstarSteffstar Posts: 1,354 Member
    Most of the time, with a few exceptions.
    Most of the time. At least, I try to.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2020
    It really depends on the sim and why I have allowed them to have/keep their particular LTW. Sometimes, probably more often than not, it is a reasonable and logical goal for them to be pursuing and is directly related to their career, hobbies, or how they conduct their personal lives, and sometimes it feels more like a fantasy wish that they never seriously work towards much.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    I've already completed them all. Never have done it twice. Seems like a pointless grind for more buffs.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Almost always!
    starguru wrote: »
    Some of my Sims even complete several LTWs.
    Heh, yes. If you use NRaas Dreamer, it's easy to do that "on the fly". I had a few of my teens and even children fulfill lifetime wishes of which I don't have the slightest idea of what they were. They must have shown in their queue of wants, and I just heard the typical music and saw the points roll in. This doesn't affect what is happening on the normal LTW slot.
    In those cases where I had seen the wish, it was something easy like "Super Popular" or "Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous".
    Post edited by Turjan on
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Hardly ever!
    @Simtown15, you’re right, dude(ette)! I always go straight to “Recent Discussions” and realized later I was in TS3 and tried to edit part of my post. Sorry I missed the lot of it!

I play both and sometimes get distracted and forget to read the thread subject. It’s so cool to see so many TS3 threads still so wildly active (even more than 4)! ☺️
  • Options
    AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    edited March 2020
    Unfortunately I can´t vote, because my preferable choice isn´t there, sorry.
    I don´t care for the LTWs, if they are completed or not doesn´t interest me at all. :p
    I don´t even care for fulfilling their wishes, these I´ll just take as a little hint what they want and what I´ll make them do eventually.
  • Options
    OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    Almost always!
    Yes, I have always completed their LTW and for sims born in game to my family I choose different LTW as they grow up as you do have different LTW when you are a child as when you are a grown up. My LTW as a 5 year old was to have wings and as an 8 o 9 year old it was to have a meal ALL made of chocolate including a chocolate drink. Never achieved the pair of wings or the chocolate meals but when I grew up to teen I did try the choccy one one day and was duly sick! served me right!
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    Depends on the sim. I usually intend to do it, but sometimes I get bored with the wish and if I don't care enough about the sim I'll just let it slide.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    I too voted for the "Sometimes yes, sometimes no" because sometimes I don't want that wish that they have as I might want them to do something else.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Omaira wrote: »
    Yes, I have always completed their LTW and for sims born in game to my family I choose different LTW as they grow up as you do have different LTW when you are a child as when you are a grown up...
    This is not true. When I was 5 years old, my LTW was to run a computer network, manage databases, control various websites, and help run one in my spare time that caters to life simulation game mods. Which is pretty amazing since we hadn't even walked on the moon yet back then, let alone have computers and life simulation games in the home all around us (I think Milton Bradley's board game of Life was the closest we really got).

Okay, but seriously at that age my LTW was to grow up to become an elevator operator. My now elder relatives still tease me about this occasionally, but I liked pushing buttons, helping people, and I thought the uniforms were cool. The job prospects in that line of work have diminished considerably in most areas since then, but it is entirely possible that some day I might revisit that wish. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Almost always!
    igazor wrote: »
    It really depends on the sim and why I have allowed them to have/keep their particular LTW. Sometimes, probably more often than not, it is a reasonable and logical goal for them to be pursuing and is directly related to their career, hobbies, or how they conduct their personal lives, and sometimes it feels more like a fantasy wish that they never seriously work towards much.
    I play the way you described in the first part of your comment, but I’m very intrigued by the part that I bolded. I really love the concept; I’m just not sure I could intentionally play such a scenario out! I think my micromanaging, meddlesome self would ensure they fulfilled it, even if I needed to change it first. :lol:

Turjan wrote: »
    Some of my Sims even complete several LTWs.
    Heh, yes. If you use NRaas Dreamer, it's easy to do that "on the fly". I had a few of my teens and even children fulfill lifetime wishes of which I don't have the slightest idea of what they were. They must have shown in their queue of wants, and I just heard the typical music and saw the points roll in. This doesn't affect what is happening on the normal LTW slot.
    In those cases where I had seen the wish, it was something easy like "Super Popular" or "Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous".
    OOF. That’s definitely an efficient way to farm LTH points! And too funny with children and teens regularly popping up potential/unlocked LTWs where the parameters are already met. Like, "Ma, IDK what huge lifelong goal I just accomplished, but I'mma be stoked about it all week!" :joy:

I've never tried Dreamer. I just use MC to manually change LTWs once a Sim has completed the first one I’d chosen for them. I don’t do this for every Sim I play. But for those who have a variety of traits/skills/hobbies where it would make sense for them to pursue disparate long-term goals, or where their initial LTW complements or could lead to another one, it's a great option to have.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I decided to change my sim's lifetime wish from Star News Anchor (about medium difficulty, but she had kids to raise) to Super Popular (which is really easy). She completed her wish on her elder birthday! :)
  • Options
    Almost always!
    OOF. That’s definitely an efficient way to farm LTH points! And too funny with children and teens regularly popping up potential/unlocked LTWs where the parameters are already met. Like, "Ma, IDK what huge lifelong goal I just accomplished, but I'mma be stoked about it all week!" :joy:
    :lol: To be fair, the kids will know what happened. It was their wish after all. And I'm sure they are happy about being popular and famous, too. It's me who often doesn't know. I guess I don't have to know everything about them :smile: .
    I've never tried Dreamer. I just use MC to manually change LTWs once a Sim has completed the first one I’d chosen for them. I don’t do this for every Sim I play. But for those who have a variety of traits/skills/hobbies where it would make sense for them to pursue disparate long-term goals, or where their initial LTW complements or could lead to another one, it's a great option to have.
    Dreamer is quite nice. It lets inactives fulfill their wishes. As I play rotationally, it's quite satisfying to find the occasional townie who actually collected a few points from having their dreams come true. I'll keep it at a minimum though. The game collects already enough stuff in its saves.

• Options
    KeithiaKeithia Posts: 22 Member
    Almost always!
    I would say "Almost always!".

Usually, I'll try to set an attainable (not too challenging) LTW for my Sims and also compatible with their traits.
    Then, I'll utilize the points earned from fulfilling the wish on additional traits to help the Sims with other goals.
    🌱🍃🌿🍁🍂 “Wherever life plants you, bloom with grace” 🌾🌻🌼🌷🌹
    🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
    👫🌲🌳🌏🌳🌲👫
  • Options
    Almost always!
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I decided to change my sim's lifetime wish from Star News Anchor (about medium difficulty, but she had kids to raise) to Super Popular (which is really easy). She completed her wish on her elder birthday! :)
    Sounds like a great birthday! Congrats! :star:
    :lol: To be fair, the kids will know what happened. It was their wish after all. And I'm sure they are happy about being popular and famous, too. It's me who often doesn't know.
    Haha, could be. Although I guess I’ve always viewed unpromised wishes as random, fleeting thoughts until they’re locked in/chosen. For me, that’s when it truly becomes a want/goal to be deliberately pursued. Either way, perhaps it would be more accurate to say, “I wish to be Super Popular someday... Oh, I already am? I am! Yay me!” :lol:
    I guess I don't have to know everything about them :smile: .
    :open_mouth: Perish the thought! :tongue: I’d be all like, “Where is that music coming from? Why are you suddenly so stinking happy? What did you do, Sim_Name??” :sweat_smile:
    Dreamer is quite nice. It lets inactives fulfill their wishes. As I play rotationally, it's quite satisfying to find the occasional townie who actually collected a few points from having their dreams come true. I'll keep it at a minimum though. The game collects already enough stuff in its saves.
    I like the idea of inactives fulfilling wishes on their own. But then I'd want to use that for the whole town and my game would probably explode, lol. And too, in saves where I rotate households (which tend to be extended family and/or my own CAS Sims), I prefer to choose what they do as part of the storyline and help them work towards their goals myself. I use no SP either, and progress unplayed inactives with MC.

The part I would probably find most useful about Dreamer is when all four slots already hold promised wishes and another pops up that I would normally lock in, but the Sim will complete it or it will time out before any of the others could be fulfilled. That would be handy. :smile: