Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you interested in building your own apartment buildings?

Sakuske1Sakuske1 Posts: 86 Member
edited June 2019 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Do you think we will ever be able to build our own apartment buildings again, à la the Sims 2? I used to LOVE building them and setting them up, and while the apartments in the Sims 4 are great and quirky and fun, I'd love to be able to make my own in the other neighborhoods. It would not only add character and realism, but it'd be a great way to add more space for Sim families to live that doesn't include adding more neighborhoods, blank or otherwise, as multiple families will be able to live on one lot.
Check out my Gallery with Origin ID: kkranich
Post edited by Sakuske1 on

Are you interested in building your own apartment buildings? 93 votes

Yes, please!
77%
redrogue60aprilroseaka_moiWritin_RegAlrynnSimburianCorkysPetalsKementariJnyxg01denswanmoltazialuthienrisingVageniusCinebarstilljustme2Angellulumarcel21taydevFroilClassicalSim 72 votes
No, thank you.
5%
PlayerSinger2010Mariefoxprice83mariajane216Yardenronetney52 5 votes
Indifferent.
13%
craftaholicAnmirlaalanmichael1zagboorulesLoriTSpLucyCatxListentoToppDoggcitysimmerDreamCytcherTucker003SimmyFroggyAngeliqueAdelaideA8ab 13 votes
Undecided?
3%
friendlysimmersCaityTrinaDestin2016 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Yes, please!
    If there is a dorm system in a future University pack, it's possible that could be adapted to make small apartment complexes. It could also create some sort of roommate system where you could share an apartment but not control the roommate which could add some interesting situations. I don't need huge high-rises but I'd love to have some two or three floor buildings. that could be used to house multiple households (they might have to be fairly small households because of the 8 sims/household limit).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Yes, please!
    I was really disappointed to see we couldn't build our own apartment complexes when they introduced apartments. I hated the way apartments were done in Sims 3 as well Not all apartments are high rises, just PLEASE all I wanna do is make a Victorian house that's divided into apartments.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Undecided?
    i am undecided on this would depend on where i would went my sims to live
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes, please!
    I'd like to build uk styled ones to go with my uk build worlds. We generally call them Flats over here, apartments are rather up-market posh ones or new rentals in cities.

The most I have managed in-game is to create semi-detached houses so some of the family can move next door and have their own house with the other members of the family locked out!
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    No, thank you.
    No. I'm not a builder so I don't need this feature.
  • Options
    Techbilt wrote: »
    I was really disappointed to see we couldn't build our own apartment complexes when they introduced apartments. I hated the way apartments were done in Sims 3 as well Not all apartments are high rises, just PLEASE all I wanna do is make a Victorian house that's divided into apartments.

Right?! I want to make row houses, and brownstones, and painted ladies (I know these three examples are very similar; I have a type haha) and typical, everyday, 2-3 story apartment buildings like you find EVERYWHERE, unlike the tall high rises in cities (which are still great, but shouldn't be the only option). Plus, just think of all the famous tv apartments that would flood the gallery! How fun would that be?!
  • Options
    aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    Yes, please!
    Yes... yes... absolutely yes!!!
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Indifferent.
    I'm not a builder so I don't particularly care one way or another. I do want another apartment world tho.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Yes, please!
    Sims 2's system was much more versatile. As long as you put the door and walled/fenced everything properly, you could build whatever structure you wanted and call it an apartment complex. Prisons, cruise ships, castles, nomad camps (using the room seperators as walls and camoflaging the apartment door with shrubbery, at least from certain angles)... anything. I'm not a builder, so my designs never looked great, but I made them at least convincing and fully functionable.

Now Sims 4 limits me to actual, literal apartments in a city. That's beyond boring and a waste of what used to be a powerful feature.
  • Options
    No. I'm not a builder so I don't need this feature.

I get that reasoning, but you don't need to be a "builder" to appreciate this feature; I don't consider myself to be a "builder" either. I do enjoy building and creating homes and such when the mood and inspiration strikes, and I fancy my houses enough to upload and share them, but I am not nearly on the same level as some of the builders in the gallery. If they added this, the gallery would be overrun with so many beautiful apartment buildings that everyone would be able to download and enjoy! It would really make the game that much richer.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Yes, please!
    Yes! I'm annoyed City Living did not give us this feature.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
    Yes, please!
    I am very keen on apartments having similar features to the Apartments in Sims 2. For example:

1. Neighbors - Multiple units with different families living in them. And being able to visit them
    2. Building your own elevator systems.
    3. Trash shoots
    4. Building events
    5. Building Super
    6. If I remember correctly you could customize a little more

I like a few Sims 3 features as well

1. Hearing neighbor noise
    2. Parking lots
    3. Liked the lobby of the high rise apartments
    4. The mail area
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DreamCytcherDreamCytcher Posts: 168 Member
    Indifferent.
    I'm okay without this feature but of course it's the best to have it. I would like to see TS2 Apartment Life style apartments as well as closed neighborhood, maybe this time make it an "open neighborhood" without loading screen when switching between households in the same lot.

Actually I can see how the game allows us to build an apartment. Maybe we'll just have to put a special door and automatically the whole room and the other rooms connected will be belonged to one household. Perhaps we'll have a tool to change a normal door into "apartment door". Another possibility is that we'll have a tool of circling the area of an apartment unit using tiles so that the household will possess a little bit of garden or backyard instead of just some indoor rooms.
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    Yes, please!
    Another possibility is that we'll have a tool of circling the area of an apartment unit using tiles so that the household will possess a little bit of garden or backyard instead of just some indoor rooms.

That's a really good idea, might even be able to do it with the room tool we have now.

• Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Yes, please!
    there's a Specific Skyscraper apartment, I wish I could build, but due to floor levels, and other technicalities It's impossible
    honestly The penthouse would be epic!
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    SomeRandomSimmerSomeRandomSimmer Posts: 14 New Member
    yeah i know. I feel like city living had some potential there but it just never happened.
  • Options
    SomeRandomSimmerSomeRandomSimmer Posts: 14 New Member
    being able to walk around the city more would be greattt. The limited city areas are so small
  • Options
    VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    Yes, please!
    I would love more apartment options including building apartment buildings. Perhaps some designation element like how different community lots can be designated would help with the creation of apartment complexes or duplexes.
  • Options
    _starfrog_starfrog Posts: 84 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes, please!
    i miss apartments that you can build so much. city living was cool to bring back apartments, & i can see they put a lot of work into the "downtown" world however small the limited city areas are. but, it would be a fantastic creative outlet to allow us design & make these apartment buildings on our own! it would help with realism.

there are many gallery builds that imitate apartments or townhomes (that are VERY GOOD), yet only one family can actually live there. it takes some real imagination to pretend your neighbors aren't members of your family.
    still using fabric softener
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    Yes, please!
    I don't want to make skyscrapers but I would like to build town houses, so yes.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Yes, please!
    And will will have to pay for them to
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    xstxrrysequencexstxrrysequence Posts: 3,194 Member
    Yes, please!
    As someone who mostly renovates apartments this would be SO awesome!
    image0.gif
    Do you like games that involve strategy? Do you like solving a mystery?
    Come try a Mafia Game!
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Yes, please!
    I was very surprised we weren’t able to do that with city living at least.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Yes, please!
    Would love to build my own - and also in all worlds not just the downtown.

I used to love building in the Sims 2 apartments styles. Those were perfect to me and we could play up to 4 households in each apartment too. I think those were the best apartments the game has ever had.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Would love to build my own - and also in all worlds not just the downtown.

I used to love building in the Sims 2 apartments styles. Those were perfect to me and we could play up to 4 households in each apartment too. I think those were the best apartments the game has ever had.

I agree, The Sims 2 made it SO easy and simple; all you had to do was place the correct front door and make sure things were all enclosed and (as far as I remember) you were set! I don't see why they can't implement something simple like that here in the Sims 4 (but I'm not a programmer or coder in the slightest and I apologize if I'm making a huge simplification out of something that is actually very complex).

I wouldn't even mind terribly if they operated like the current San Myshuno apartments with loading screens to visit other neighbors in the same building, just for the opportunity to be able to build my own apartments again in whatever world I want.