The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will The Sims 4 Only Have Four Expansions Total?

Comments

• Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Unless the drastically improve the Sims in this game, I don't care if it gets another EP at all unless it's pets. That said they could start to roll out an EP after another for what we know, like they are doing with stuff packs right now, just because they will have EPs ready all together.. we don't know if they are working on one EP at time or multiple EPs at the same time.
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Ninoochat wrote: »
    I take it you don't read the "what clubs have you made" threads in the GT forum, because you're really missing on the possibilities there.

See I was really happy about clubs, I even have a huge list of club ideas. But then you slowly set up everything in game, uniforms for your various janitors/mafia/teen swimming team/rival footballs team/cult/etc. But then a few in game days later you realize none of the clubs you carefully crafted are showing anywhere, oh surprise the game culled pretty much everyone and it's not automatically repopulating them.

And before someone jumps on this thread like a shark, yes I know about MCC, yes I know it stops culling and even have a nifty module to automatically invite club members. This is not the solution I want, I want EA to fix what players redeem broken.

Im still waiting for them to fix what was broken from Sims3.
  • Options
    Le0nard1963Le0nard1963 Posts: 264 Member
    Yes, of course , any number of directories , be they 30 or 50 does not replace the Supplement . Supplements have always been an integral part of The Sims, remember that the first part , when there were only additions were not 11 yet to play with them was always interesting , it is then a deuce started all these directories then a trio Store and so on . etc. But Will Wright ( creator of the game ) was against such an approach , because in the time of the development of The Sims 2 withdrew from the project because he did not want to extort money from the fans , and did his job with the soul . I will say for myself , I still can get stuck in the second half for a long time . Why am I 'm all , I believe that The Sims 4 do not need any playsets or directories , all this is a simple pumping money from players and developers are well aware . In fact , we would have had the two high-grade , bulk special stages per year, which would be reflected all the content that they are divided into playsets , and directories, and , I think , with this approach, two years later it was possible to have a chem-to speak.
    "Live Services" which Graham explained to us, is and shall consist, again took to support the game for a few years, then you need to move it a step further every year, and all of these new objects and explosive issues in the game sets only hinder game, and about the number of bugs that are added with each new set of I generally keep quiet. Just when the game will go on at such a pace, then all this will turn out good old The Sims an unnecessary pipeline with the aim to earn more money. That is now my detailed opinion on this total)
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,044 Member
    edited August 2016
    It's really hard to tell what the plum they are intending to do with this game tbh. For me it is about the quality of the EP's, no the quantity. I'd rather have a couple of really, really good EP's than tons of EP's with pretty window dressing. It seems Maxis is going for minimal amount of quality and lots of window dressing this time around. I'm just waiting for something spectacular to give me hope about this game franchise.
    Who IS the head of Sims at this point, I thought they promoted Rachel just so they could get someone else as head of Sims?
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    Icy_Lava wrote: »
    @jackjack_k
    You're saying a Sims 2 stuff pack (that has 40 - 60 items for $20) is better value than a GamePack that has 150 - 200 items, with more gameplay.
    You're saying a $20 store set with the bare minimum gameplay and like 20 items, is better value than a GamePack of the same theme, that has 150+ items and more gameplay.

I have something to say on that. While Sims 4 may have more items in the stuffpacks, they are of relatively much lower quality (minus new gameplay ones). When I say quality, they often have very flat textures and ridiculously low poly meshes. The level of detail available in Sims 2 is so much higher. The wood is not shiny in sims 2 and not flat as it is in Sims 4. Spheres tend to look moe rounder and less edgy than they do in Sims 2. I am disappointed with these designs... Though I'm with ya on the store set. Not as good as Dine Out; I love that pack.

Um that's true of the game OVERALL though, items look lower quality in 4 than 2/3. It's not like items are lower quality in SPs than the TS4 base game or EPs/GPs, so that isn't really a valid argument to use against SPs.

Oh, I know. And in many cases the shading on textures is better in the packs than in the basegame. That just doesn't really excuse it though because I can't use most of the items without retexturing them, whereas I could very much be conten with the items from Sims 3 as I could color them and the multipliers were great. And in 2...well they never matched, just like nothing matches in Ts4...the simple matter of fact is that they were still designed much better.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,951 Member
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    I think its rather alarming that they haven't released one expansion this year. Perhaps they're pulling the plug and working on a brand new game o:)

If they are, let's hope the new one has the best of Sims2-4. (I leave out the original Sims, because I never played that one, so I don't know what I've missed.) And ALL life stages, too.

What some of the devs (or the Suits in charge) fail to grasp, is some of us players enjoy the game so much, that we end up seriously missing some of the 'advancements' of previous iterations. And, when we do go back to play that iteration for those missing elements, we find ourselves sorely missing the new stuff. It's a Catch-22. I feel like I'm stuck in a tape-loop and there's no way off. I don't mind repeats, so long as there's a nice new twist to it. They can always give us something entirely new, too, along with the stuff that makes the Sims, the Sims. Am I alone in this?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2016
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    No.

Rachel said they aren't following the normal release schedule and instead will make packs "until it doesn't make sense anymore".

So they will make packs until they run out of ideas, or the ones they come up with no longer make sense for the game and are better off for a new game. So there's plenty of pack ideas that can fit into The Sims 4.

The typical "4-5 year schedule" isn't applying to The Sims 4 according to Rachel.

And seeing as she's head of Maxis now, there's even more weight to her statement.

I lost respect for Rachel. If shes truly in charge of it all shes really nessed up and I believe she owes us all an apology and an explanation

Why did you lose respect for the woman who has started turning The Sims 4 around, once she got in charge.

Your joking right?

^

We will see how much it turns around when the next EP comes around. GT was also a mess, and barely had any new real gameplay features.. more of an empty shell with a new world and some objects...

yeah it really turned around. *cough*.

Let's see in October-December if she really turned it around (in a positive way) this time....

Oh, and by the way; Isn't the budget coming from EA? So that means Rachel can do whatever she wants, and ask whatever she wants, but as long as EA isn't giving them the budget to do so, they have to deal with that.

Technically the budget come from US. Like one head dev said - if Sims 4 doesn't sell there won't be a Sims 5 - and that is because if Sims 4 doesn't sell they won't have the budget to keep making stuff for it which will of course close down the studio - don't forget also that the Sims Freeplay, The Simcity Build it, and even the Sims 3 mobile are all under EA Games and Samantha Ryan - not under the Sims - Maxis and Rachel Franklin - so we get no kickback from how well they are doing - EA Games/EAMobile does. So technically if Sims 4 is lacking it is because it doesn't sell as well as they expected. At least that is my take on it all. I do know The Sims 4 is the only game that has now not been mentioned in either Quarterly Conference Call - the last just last week. It is like it no longer even exists. I found it odd that EA officers and the CEO stated they always take their best games to the most important event of the year - the Euro Gamescom - and funny even Sims Free Play is going - but we are not. Our devs are going - but not the game.

Seriously wondering will the Sims 4 even see 4-5 years at this point. I have set through Conference calls since 2007 and never have I seen The Sims series not mentioned period for one call never mind two big quarterly calls in a row, and the last call of 2016 it was barely mentioned. Honestly.... this does not happen at EA on games doing great. Oh and on top of it not a single investor even asked about the Sims 4.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    EA should give the sims series to paradox at least they can make good games lol
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    I take it you don't read the "what clubs have you made" threads in the GT forum, because you're really missing on the possibilities there.

See I was really happy about clubs, I even have a huge list of club ideas. But then you slowly set up everything in game, uniforms for your various janitors/mafia/teen swimming team/rival footballs team/cult/etc. But then a few in game days later you realize none of the clubs you carefully crafted are showing anywhere, oh surprise the game culled pretty much everyone and it's not automatically repopulating them.

And before someone jumps on this thread like a shark, yes I know about MCC, yes I know it stops culling and even have a nifty module to automatically invite club members. This is not the solution I want, I want EA to fix what players redeem broken.

EA/Maxis leave a lot of things broken, they did it with Sims 2 and you right some things were left broken with Sims 3 and I bet it will happen with Sims 4.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    shellbeme wrote: »
    I really am kind of hoping they go for longer than the standard 5 year life span.

The issue with that is The Sims 4 will be vastly outdated and feel very old at the 5 year mark. Interest is dwindled now, imagine what will happen in 5 years.

There's also the fact The Sims 4 cannot handle the basic functionality and features of a Sims game (time flow, genetics, social levels, etc.) and a good amount of people have downright left the game and returned back to its biggest competitor -- The Sims 3.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    It is a possibility that they're having trouble implementing features like weather and various life states, etc. It may be that we see a cut in the sheer number of big expansions for that matter. You can see a change away from the open world from Sims 3. It basically stopped working by the time the later packs game. For me, there's no going back to that game. It just doesn't play. With Sims 4 the devs may decide not to layer packs to the point of instability.

We may not see the things we want in this iteration. It will be up to each of us to decide whether to stick it out or move on. If I were to move on it would be back to Sims 2 at this point, and I'm not even sure if I can find all my old discs.
  • Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    That's how I feel! Sims 3 crashes all the time and is not my kind of game, but when I go back to Sims 2 I get so annoyed that all sims look the same...and many of them are downright ugly...
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2016
    No.

Rachel said they aren't following the normal release schedule and instead will make packs "until it doesn't make sense anymore".

So they will make packs until they run out of ideas, or the ones they come up with no longer make sense for the game and are better off for a new game. So there's plenty of pack ideas that can fit into The Sims 4.

The typical "4-5 year schedule" isn't applying to The Sims 4 according to Rachel.

And seeing as she's head of Maxis now, there's even more weight to her statement.

I lost respect for Rachel. If shes truly in charge of it all shes really nessed up and I believe she owes us all an apology and an explanation

Why did you lose respect for the woman who has started turning The Sims 4 around, once she got in charge.

Everyone on the forum points the finger at Rachel without doing their research.
    When she worked on The Sims 4, EA told them to make an online game. EA's CEO even said they wouldn't green light a new game unless it was online.
    So EA forced them to make an online game, and then when SimCity 2013 flopped, EA then let them make a normal Sims game. But only gave them a year and a bit to do it.

None of this was Rachel's fault. As Executive Producer, it's her job to make sure that the developers make a game the publisher and development company (Maxis) are happy with.
    It was not her decision to make an online game, nor her decision to then use scraps to make it offline. It was her job to make the best out of a plum situation.

The first 12 months of The Sims 4 were a hot mess. The base game was missing stuff on launch (missing as in came later in a patch, not missing because it was in the previous game).
    Get To Work was a mess, the first 3 stuff packs weren't that great. The only good two things were Spa Day and Outdoor Retreat.

As soon as Rachel became in charge of Maxis, she's let them delay Get Together, she let the, take their time with Stuff Packs so they can be good, and she's let developers take their time with packs rather than shove them out the door to make $.

She wasn't in charge before, she was the middle man. She was between EA and the Devs. She had to make sure EA was happy, and she had to make sure Devs did their best.
    While selling it to the public.

She didn't make the decisions of what The Sims 4 was.

LOL what? First and foremost you seem to be talking a lot with your head without presenting any actual facts or links to support your "theories".

Second of all the beginning of TS4 was a mess and still is, in fact I'd argue that it's worse now. In the beginning they gave themselves the pleasure of making ghosts, pools and the family trees. Now we are barely getting a new NPC each patch, instead of just patching them all the way through. The biggest thing we got in 6 months was the custom gender feature.

About the bolded part, it's ridiculous to say that the base game was missing stuff at launch. It's ridiculous to say that pools and ghosts were important and base game content regardless of being in previous games and disregard toddlers, dishwashers, gardeners, nannies, carpools, laptops, trash compactors and so on and so on, because they were in previous games.

And it wasn't Rachel who let them delay GT, it were all the users who complained GT had no absolute content and were raging in the forums, not a single person completely understood what the pack was even about and they had to rush info for the users because the trailer was as generic as a generic trailer can be.

Rachel was the one who claimed "I still think making toddlers not part of the game was a good decision". She was on the team when they started production of TS4, otherwise do you think she popped out of nowhere and became the head of Maxis including the mobile division out of nothing?

And regarding decisions, she didn't, and she still doesn't, any decision is not a one person demand, these things are discussed between other team members.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SiliClone wrote: »
    Unless the drastically improve the Sims in this game, I don't care if it gets another EP at all unless it's pets. That said they could start to roll out an EP after another for what we know, like they are doing with stuff packs right now, just because they will have EPs ready all together.. we don't know if they are working on one EP at time or multiple EPs at the same time.

They only work on one EP at a time. There is only one EP team. They make concepts and run ideas for future EP's earlier on but only one gets to be produced at a time.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    An interesting theory. However, I hope it is not the case. Many simmers would be done with the franchise then.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    EA should give the sims series to paradox at least they can make good games lol

I'd argue that perhaps even the Firemonkeys would do a better job with an actual PC game on their hands as long as they know how to adapt and ditch the heavy microtransactions formula though at this point with SP's I think it wouldn't be so different. The creative choices on Freeplay are outstanding.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    shellbeme wrote: »
    I really am kind of hoping they go for longer than the standard 5 year life span.

The issue with that is The Sims 4 will be vastly outdated and feel very old at the 5 year mark. Interest is dwindled now, imagine what will happen in 5 years.

There's also the fact The Sims 4 cannot handle the basic functionality and features of a Sims game (time flow, genetics, social levels, etc.) and a good amount of people have downright left the game and returned back to its biggest competitor -- The Sims 3.

Evidence for this? :)

Wasn't culling to improve performance of the game? I use MCC and I have been playing the same save file for two years now (which I think is impressive in itself). I just had to manually cull the entire neighbourhood (except the Sims I like, of course) to decrease load times. I am playing on a high-end machine too.

It seems as though the ones that are most annoyed about culling are the ones who love homeless townies. I thought the game didn't cull townies who lived in a house? The same with relationship culling. Isn't there a criteria that needs to be met when culling relationships, so if you're familiar with the criteria, then it's possible to avoid it >:) ?

I agree there has been some sloppy implementation of culling, but overall isn't it avoidable in-game (not counting ghosts and family trees)? I don't understand why some people are so pessimistic about using mods here. Cities:Skylines is a game that could arguably be a 50/50 modder/developer experienced game and I don't hear any complaints about that, unless someone wants to correct me.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2016

Well to be fair - we can actually fix what is broken in Sims 3 - it takes a lot of work but the game is fully fixable - the same cannot be said for Sims 4. I know because I have ZERO issues with Sims 3 and I do not use mods - keep that in mind. I did all the hard work to physically fix it and keep it running like a dream. Just to add I also run a super computer which very much makes a difference in Sims 3 - even that means nothing to Sims 4. I run Fall Out 4 on Ultra.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Well to be fair - we can actually fix what is broken in Sims 3 - it takes a lot of work but the game is fully fixable - the same cannot be said for Sims 4.

I got Isla Paradiso 95% working :p Thanks to some users here though, I don't think I could do it alone, but now I know :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Well to be fair - we can actually fix what is broken in Sims 3 - it takes a lot of work but the game is fully fixable - the same cannot be said for Sims 4. I know because I have ZERO issues with Sims 3 and I do not use mods - keep that in mind. I did all the hard work to physically fix it and keep it running like a dream. Just to add I also run a super computer which very much makes a difference in Sims 3 - even that means nothing to Sims 4. I run Fall Out 4 on Ultra.

What is fixable in TS3 that is not fixable in TS4? What's the context here?
  • Options
    Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    I don't think so, because we haven't gotten 1 ep per year. Yeah we have only had 2 in the two year lifespan so far, but they were both released in one year. This year has just been a little slow for reasons we don't know, and there might only be one this year. But that doesn't mean next year will be the same.
  • Options
    Callum2000 wrote: »
    I don't think so, because we haven't gotten 1 ep per year. Yeah we have only had 2 in the two year lifespan so far, but they were both released in one year. This year has just been a little slow for reasons we don't know, and there might only be one this year. But that doesn't mean next year will be the same.

There will be only one this year. Look at the time, it's August, do you really believe they can make an EP from October to December? LOL
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Wasn't culling to improve performance of the game? I use MCC and I have been playing the same save file for two years now (which I think is impressive in itself). I just had to manually cull the entire neighbourhood (except the Sims I like, of course) to decrease load times. I am playing on a high-end machine too.

It seems as though the ones that are most annoyed about culling are the ones who love homeless townies. I thought the game didn't cull townies who lived in a house? The same with relationship culling. Isn't there a criteria that needs to be met when culling relationships, so if you're familiar with the criteria, then it's possible to avoid it >:) ?

I agree there has been some sloppy implementation of culling, but overall isn't it avoidable in-game (not counting ghosts and family trees)? I don't understand why some people are so pessimistic about using mods here. Cities:Skylines is a game that could arguably be a 50/50 modder/developer experienced game and I don't hear any complaints about that, unless someone wants to correct me.
    The game will cull the relationships of even family members and sims that you're good friends with, and the only way to avoid it somewhat is to not play rotationally, which is pretty hard when it's a playstyle for many players.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png