Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You Tired of Upating Mods on A Monthy Basis?

Comments

• Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    edited June 2015
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It can be a pain, but most of the time the pros of the mods outweigh the cons of the updating/switching out files

I'm sure they do, however, it doesn't bother you this game needs a bug fixes every month? Which forces you really to alter your time to remove your mods 'every' month.

It can be a pain, but Sims 4 is not unique in this manner -- it certainly is not the only game that requires monthly updates. I'm not sure if you were around for Sims 3, but it had quite the plethora of bugs as well (with less updates though, if I remember clearly). So do other games. So yes, it is annoying, and yes, I do wish the game was perfect, but it certainly happens.

Let's just hope bug patches will decrease as the game develops.
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,406 Member
    I'm not bothered by it. I wish that they would have put this kind of effort into fixing TS3.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It can be a pain, but most of the time the pros of the mods outweigh the cons of the updating/switching out files

I'm sure they do, however, it doesn't bother you this game needs a bug fixes every month? Which forces you really to alter your time to remove your mods 'every' month.

It can be a pain, but Sims 4 is not unique in this manner -- it certainly is not the only game that requires monthly updates. I'm not sure if you were around for Sims 3, but it had quite the plethora of bugs as well. So do other games. So yes, it is annoying, and yes, I do wish the game was perfect, but it certainly happens.

Yes, I was around for the TS3 and I actually would not patch up according to the new bug reports after new patches. But they didn't come as often is all I am pointing out which is aggravating sometimes. Good they fix, but they shouldn't even need to be fixing.

I know of many people who played the TS3 we would hold back on which patches we added. Not possible in this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member

It can be a pain, but Sims 4 is not unique in this manner -- it certainly is not the only game that requires monthly updates. I'm not sure if you were around for Sims 3, but it had quite the plethora of bugs as well. So do other games. So yes, it is annoying, and yes, I do wish the game was perfect, but it certainly happens.

Yes, I was around for the TS3 and I actually would not patch up according to the new bug reports after new patches. But they didn't come as often is all I am pointing out which is aggravating sometimes. Good they fix, but they shouldn't even need to be fixing.

I know of many people who played the TS3 we would hold back on which patches we added. Not possible in this game.

I agree there -- they patch Sims 4 more often. I think this is probably a good thing, since they are making an effort.

I believe if you go offline you can play without updating, you just won't have access to the gallery. I've heard of people doing it that way.

Personally, I don't want to complain/discourage any patching because I think they've been doing a pretty good job of getting us out patches every month. However, I do see where you're coming from and it can be a burden.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I am just curious how many people who actually use several mods and already use new custom content if they are tired of having to pull their Mods folder each month, nine times so far, or find updates to their mods with every patch (maybe not as high as nine times so far) or do they not listen to sound advice and not pull their mods folder when it's patched in content like pools or ghosts etc.?

How do you feel about bug fixes every month, each and every month and having to disrupt your game play saved folders to update it each month and pull those Mods? Yes, it's all good and fine bugs are getting patched, but does none of you not feel this is compulsive and perhaps the game shouldn't need a patch (bug patch) every month of it's life's existence?

I don't know, if I add any mod I think I would be very annoying to have to pull it every month like clock work, sometimes twice a month.

Do I get tired of pulling my mods folder for each patch? No; backing up/pulling out the entire game folder (not just the mod folder) before and after a patch, EP, or SP has been my practice since the days of Sims 1.

Do I get tired of checking for mod updates after such frequent patches? A little. However, I would rather have EA fix broken game features frequently rather than infrequently.

Do I feel the game shouldn't need a patch every month? Yes, actually, I do feel that way. However, that is not the reality of the situation. The game, for whatever reason, HAS needed a patch every month (and still has broken things that need to be fixed with a patch). As long as there are broken things, I will take a patch every week if it will fix what is broken (and hopefully not break other things).
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I only started to use mods for TS3 after I knew there would be no more patches....but then again I use game changing mods...not game fixing mods. I've never needed those for TS3. It had/does run well for me.

I'm not going to add mods to TS4 to make it playable. I just won't play. The devs need to fix things. When I'm not playing I don't buy new content either.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    No because I don't have too many .
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    I only use Mods that I need to correct bugs, issues and glitches. It's a pain to update/wait to update/find a mod is no longer being updated at times.

Thankful people take the time & effort to make the game more stable & promptly address issues when they arise. They shouldn't have to... but yeah.

Wish EA would get a better grip on bugs & address them promptly. For example, I had to wait until December for the Thirst issue to be fixed. It was & as soon as Get to Work was released, it's back.

And of course we get very little to no feedback & have to sit & cross our fingers in hopes that issues will be fixed. :/
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,924 Member
    mwdonohue wrote: »
    I must be getting the lucky end of the stick on this one. I never move my mods folder during an update. Never have, and probably never will due to how often I play TS4.

Ditto. I forgot to remove the mods folder once for an update and suffered no ill effects so I don't bother anymore. I only have 3 game play mods installed though. Faster retail actions, no relationship decay, and no more same sims everywhere.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    If they actually fixed the bugs I have mods for then I wouldn't mind. I didn't mind them in TS3 because the updates were less frequently and optional to keep playing- before and after an expansion. So, every month is a hassle.

Plus, I much rather have the option not to update until I know my mods have been updated. I now have to remember to disconnect before starting any Origin game. I want to choose when I update.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I am just curious how many people who actually use several mods and already use new custom content if they are tired of having to pull their Mods folder each month, nine times so far, or find updates to their mods with every patch (maybe not as high as nine times so far) or do they not listen to sound advice and not pull their mods folder when it's patched in content like pools or ghosts etc.?

How do you feel about bug fixes every month, each and every month and having to disrupt your game play saved folders to update it each month and pull those Mods? Yes, it's all good and fine bugs are getting patched, but does none of you not feel this is compulsive and perhaps the game shouldn't need a patch (bug patch) every month of it's life's existence?

I don't know, if I add any mod I think I would be very annoying to have to pull it every month like clock work, sometimes twice a month.

It's no big deal, you pull the folder, do the update, put the folder back.

I would think the more the mod can do the more a player would have to worry whether to put that one back in or not until the go check with the creator. So, if anyone is smart they wouldn't go ahead on the same day would they? and put that mod back in knowing the creator hadn't even had time to test it. Right? or maybe they do.

The worst that would happen would be the mod wouldn't work as was with the original version of the gardener mod, I took it out, now there is a new one that works. That's all you have to do, if it stops working take it out until there is am update to the mod. No big deal.

O.K. I guess, but I guess that isn't something I am willing to do 'every month' because the game needs a bug patch. I guess I will have to forgo some of the mods that are actually very beneficial in helping with culling and or NPCs etc. I'm not sure I would add the one that actually fixes the emotions in this game.

I actually agree with this. There are some really interesting mods available, but I will not download them because I will then have to make sure to save the name and the link and pray that person is still interested in the game next month. I usually create my own mods, but don't share them for this very reason...sometimes I just don't want to bother and once you have a mod in the community, I feel it is your responsibility to maintain it. But of course, I could still be waiting for some mods to be updated from the Dec patch. So I give up. I'm very liberal with objects, but I'm really picky with mods.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited June 2015
    Maxis should not be reliable for any mods what so ever.

If a mod breaks from the patch, it should be up to the mod author to fix it; that also means mod authors are too lazy to even make a stable mod that won't break from a patch. :#
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I only use mods from 2 sites: MTS and Madame Butterfly's Sims 4 mods over at Sims Asylum. MB does a master list of mods that are fine and ones that need updating, so I just delete the ones that need updating (making a list of which ones they are), then check back frequently to see if they've been fixed. MTS has a sort feature where you can see recently updated files first, so it's easy to go through and see what's been updated and compare it to my Mods folder. I also review my mods and delete the ones I'm really not using any more.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,259 Member
    Keep CC out of my game... at least until 2018.

When a few Packs will remain to release, the treasure hunt will begin.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

This is why I stopped using mods and only build now. I also hardly call their monthly patches productive. Every month, wer'e presented with a slew of new bugs, and every month, I shake my head at the fact that they still haven't addressed issues present in the game since release.

As for how I feel about monthly breakages (not fixes) and the fun of having to check for updates (sometimes more than once a month)? Well. There's a reason I don't bother 'playing' any more.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    MisterHootyMisterHooty Posts: 23 New Member
    It's worth noting that MTS (where I get all my Mods from) has a handy feature where you can check a list-page of your downloads, and see if you have the latest updates for em.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    It's worth noting that MTS (where I get all my Mods from) has a handy feature where you can check a list-page of your downloads, and see if you have the latest updates for em.

It's a nice feature. MTS has always been a commendable site. The problem arises when the mod you rely on isn't updated right away though. It's no one's fault. It just becomes cumbersome after a while.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Mods I use rarely need to be updated, so it's not a problem at all.

I also never move mods out before updating the game. It really isn't necessary.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    I don't feel negative about updating. It's just part of the choice I made to use mods. I usually just pull the mods folder out of the game in documents and let it rest on my desktop when the game is updating. However, I forgot all about it this last patch, so the game updated with the mods folder in the proper place with no negative effects when playing the game. I just got lucky that time, I guess.

Generally, I read the patch notes to see if I have any mods that may conflict with the work the sims team has done. If there is nothing that will cause an issue, I just put my mods folder back in the game. However, if there is something that may or will mess up, I pull that one mod out of the game and then go see if there is an update for it, unless the patch fixed whatever the mod was there for in the first instance. That has happened at least once that I can remember. I feel I don't need a mod to fix an issue if EA is ready to do it for them. That's a good thing.

But mostly, I don't view mods in anger. I view them as a way to customize my game to make it play the way I want to play it. One of the things that I just love is the coffee/orange juice mod. It fills up my sim's energy level, more like we had in the sims 2. I like that feature in ts2 and I'm glad I have it for this new game. Another mod I use the the cost of aspiration rewards (are they called that in this new game? I don't even know) I have a mod to drastically reduce the price of those items. They are too precious for game play to keep them so far out of reach of most of the sims I play. They don't live long enough, so that mod makes it possible for my sims to buy those things.

Anyway, I have started playing this game again (4) and I am finding that it's ok to ignore their wants. They don't get the points, but it's ok. That way it plays more like a sandbox than what they made. I am still having a tough time playing this new game for extended periods, but at least I'm firing it up and trying to play it more than I was. I do have to admit that ts2 is still my number 1 sims game, but I'm okay with that. :)
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    I like to be risky. I never remove the mods before an update. I just go play and if it seems broken (which doesn't happen all the time) I take it out, replace it or wait for a fix. There are some I've never replaced and others I replace monthly. Don't plan on changing my strategy any time soon either.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2015

DARLING, this is not TS3 where they let game bugs fly around as much.

Monthly patches are meant to make bugs go away and add more content to the game. Many players don't even pull their mod folder out and most never saw an issue with that, as stated by them in threads that are made a day just before the patch to warn players, just to prevent anything bad to happen.

Also, how does pulling a folder off the TS4 folder "disrupts" the gameplay? I don't understand the logic. You had to do the same for TS3 exept the gap between patches was bigger.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ScarletQueenKatScarletQueenKat Posts: 792 Member
    If you think that's bad, think how tedious it is for those of us that actually create the mods. Is it tiring? Yes it is, but it's better than not getting updates for bug/glitch fixes at all.
    🌹 Scarlet's Mod List - Includes ALL mods, links to their latest versions, last updated dates, sorting options, and more!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited June 2015
    Well I consider myself a rebel since I just risk it and run my game anyways. If I do find a problem then I will tell the mod creator but they catch on pretty fast thanks to others reporting things.

I haven't played World of Warcraft in a while but they used to patch every Tuesday and yes mods would break. EA only patched TS3 every time a pack released so while some would ask EA to please stay away from their game since sometimes they break more than they fix, I do like these patches every month. If you organize CC/mods it makes it so much easier to surf through it all if you need to remove or update something.

If someone doesn't want to keep up with what they put into their game then they are going to have a hard time and shouldn't be messing with it. EA just opens the door but it's not really their responsibility.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member

If a mod breaks from the patch, it should be up to the mod author to fix it; that also means mod authors are too lazy to even make a stable mod that won't break from a patch. :#

It isn't that the mod isn't stable it is EA changing code that mess things up, it has nothing to do with the creators being lazy or not. Before you call them lazy you need to stop and think that these wonderful creators are fixing things that EA themselves have not fixed in a year after repeated reports by players. Actually the creators that you call lazy, in most cases within a few days have their mods fixed and updated, unlike EA where we have to wait and wait and wait. Creators should be treated better and with more respect, they create for the community for free of charge on their own free time. It is really sad the way they are treated by a lot of people and why the community is loosing so many of the great creators out there. CC/Mods are fantastic and should be for enhancing a players game and they significantly increase a games life such as Sims 2, creators shouldn't have to fix the games bugs that should be EA's problem but EA does not seem interested in fixing the issues they created, so who is really the lazy ones?

“Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Options
    ScarletQueenKatScarletQueenKat Posts: 792 Member

It isn't that the mod isn't stable it is EA changing code that mess things up, it has nothing to do with the creators being lazy or not. Before you call them lazy you need to stop and think that these wonderful creators are fixing things that EA themselves have not fixed in a year after repeated reports by players. Actually the creators that you call lazy, in most cases within a few days have their mods fixed and updated, unlike EA where we have to wait and wait and wait. Creators should be treated better and with more respect, they create for the community for free of charge on their own free time. It is really sad the way they are treated by a lot of people and why the community is loosing so many of the great creators out there. CC/Mods are fantastic and should be for enhancing a players game and they significantly increase a games life such as Sims 2, creators shouldn't have to fix the games bugs that should be EA's problem but EA does not seem interested in fixing the issues they created, so who is really the lazy ones?

Exactly, thank you @ArielDelphinus it's comments like that (which I missed before), is why we're losing so many modders. By the way @Colton147147 , you should actually know what you're talking about before making assumptions. Mods are made from the resources that EA codes into the game, when EA puts out an update some of those resources get changed because of additional coding that needs to be added for new elements, when that happens, that's when the mods no longer work properly. There is NOTHING modders can do to prevent their mods resources from getting changed. As Ariel said, these lazy modders didn't have to use up their free time in the first place to create them.
    🌹 Scarlet's Mod List - Includes ALL mods, links to their latest versions, last updated dates, sorting options, and more!