Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 3 more popular than ever?

Comments

• Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2015
    Looks like it. It's also possible TS4 is making TS2 popular as well. Take the die hard TS2 simmers who skipped TS3 for TS4. For those who have found they don't care for TS4 and still cant' stand TS3, it's likely they'll have returned to TS2. Why? TS2 is fully maxed out in all EP/SP content. And then there is the tons upon tons of TS2 mods which add new socials, CC etc. The CC alone literally makes over the game so that it looks nothing like vanilla.

Even if you think TS4 will always be superior in it's graphics to a heavily modded TS2 game, it will never match TS2 in it's sandbox game play mechanics. Or at least not until the first couple of EPs come out.

That's why it's possible both TS2 and TS3 will give you better value for your money than TS4. Or at least until EA makes the first 2 EPs or so. These EPs will set the future tone for success for the series IMO.
    Their censor censored the word 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Wow... :| I feel 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

at the rate they're going....

*vaguely wonders when they'll get around to pluming plum*

• Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    OMG, I had to come back to Sims 3 (and Sims 2), because the Sims 4 Sims were driving me crazy with their erratic moods and negligent behavior, lol!

I <3 playing Family-Oriented Sims, but these Sims in Sims 4 were terrible, terrible parents! They kept doing other things instead of taking care of the crying baby. They even slept through most of the crying, too! (Man, did I accidentally gave the dads a "Heavy Sleeper" trait, lol?) Then they got Flirty mood and just kept flirting with each other--while the baby kept crying in the bassinet near them. :p I'm also getting rid of that clay thing; the Family Sim dad keeps wanting to play with it instead of, you know, taking care of his family. And the Family-Oriented Sims keep wanting me to buy toys or pools. Terrible, just terrible. :D

At least in the Sims 3, the Family-Oriented Sims actually had some wishes relevant to their Aspiration! Like, playing, snuggling and talking with their kids--including the baby ones. ;)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    TS3 is awesome! They could have went on forever with new EPs, new content in the store. I just can't get into TS4.
  • Options
    MusicalRose21MusicalRose21 Posts: 143 Member
    I don't really know. The sims 4 was a big let down but then again TS3 did have all the expansions and added content. I don't really know if I personally will ever move on to TS4.
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    I have World Adventures,have never been to France Yet
    I have Ambitions and still have never been a firefighter or a ghosthunter
    I have Island Paradise and have yet to run a resort
    I have yet to have a family larger than my wife one kid and myself
    I have tons of supernatural types I have not played as
    I have never made a simbot
    I never added an imaginary friend to my family
    I have the Bakery set and still have not ran one
    I own the Entire sims 3 store(aside from Grims manor,bought the door only...sigh!!) and about 60 percent is still waiting for my future stories and never touched still......
    This list could go on and on,the point is this game is so well done and so many possibilities you feel like you could never run out of things new to try.Sure there is a few gripes and a few things that could have been a bit better but even if that was 10 percent of the content there is still 90 percent of awesome.Have never enjoyed a game like this before in my life that allows so much creativity and so much imagination there is no way I am stopping.Sims 3. To me is not a life simulator but the opposite, it is an escape from life simulator where you can be who you want and do things you may never do in real life and all without regret.And if you make a bad decision you can wake up tomorrow and start all over.
    AMEN! And Amen. ;)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I gotta say I was in utter SHOCK when I went into Gamestop and asked the lady at the counter about the Sims 4 and she told me that it has LOADING SCREENS! I mean, I just could not believe that! I wondered WHY EA would make such a dumb move like that!?!? I saw videos before its release of the create a sim and build/buy mode and I thought the features were the most awesome thing ever! And of course I was expecting that it was going to be an open world like Sims 3 and if it had been...Sims 4 would have been a GOLD MINE! A HUGE success!! But, once I played Sims 4 (bought it during their 50% off Cyber Monday sale through Origin) I was sorely disappointed. A loading screen just to go to your neighbors house? Heck no!!! And as many of the rest of you, I got bored with it quickly. One of the things that bugged me more than anything on the Sims 2 was the loading screens and that's why Sims 3 has been my absolute favorite! WHY bring that back?? It doesn't make sense to me?

Yes, we all remember Sims 3's flaws and how it required awesome computers to play, for the most part...but my husband was able to play it on his puny laptop (of course he really had to dumb down the graphics and turn off the mirror reflections) and sure the LOOK of the game wasn't that great, but he had super fun playing it. As mentioned before there really is SO much you can DO on the Sims 3 and you can spend hours playing it and enjoying the crap out of it. I STILL DO! ;) It will ALWAYS be the Sims 3 for me...ALWAYS.

On the bright side my husband can actually play Sims 4 on his puny laptop! We were both SHOCKED about that. I guess that is one advantage to Sims 4 is that people who can't really afford high end computers and want to run the new game on their old ones CAN! I'm not dissing Sims 4 completely. I wish the famous features of their build mode would be in the Sims 3 and their sliders on the create a sim too. But in all honesty, I am more of a PLAYER than a builder or sim creator. That's why Sims 3 suits me best and I love love love it!! ;)

*edited for typos
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited January 2015
    They sold TS3 to me by the open world. I figured I wouldn't like TS4 because it didn't have one. After playing it I enjoyed playing with the Sims but I began to appreciate the open world more & went back to TS3.
    I'm having lots of fun & don't even think about TS4 unless someone mentions it.
    Coming back to these forums first time in IDK how many months, I've been reading about TS4 so of course that little twinge to play is there but it will pass as soon as I start playing my Sims in TS3 because TS3 is a game that continues & doesn't have anything to break that momentum like TS4 loading screens.

ETA: Someone mentioned the Traveler mod. My all time fav mod. My Sims can travel to 23 worlds (more if you have more on your system ) in TS3.
    After experiencing that TS4 feels limited.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ejoslin wrote: »
    I did give Sims 4 a try, and it's fun. But it's missing so many things that won't be added back. I love CASt -- I think removing it was a huge mistake. Of course, with CASt, you don't need to buy nearly as many things from the Sims store (though I own the store). I'm not even a big builder so I thought I wouldn't miss it, but not being able to personalize, well, anything has turned out to be a deal breaker for me.

It's not that Sims 3 is perfect -- it's far from it. But it's far more fun.

And Sims 3 sims do have emotions -- they're just not highlighted in various colors. But the wishes that pop up for them generally are prompted from what is going on around them, even moreso than in the Sims 4, actually. For instance, when my writer sim is inspired in the sims 4, he can get "emotion based" wishes to plant something, paint something, discuss art, things of that nature. Whereas in the Sims 3, my writer sim will get wishes to write a masterpiece, write 40 novels, write a best seller, write 25 best sellers, etc. IOW, the wishes are based on what he actually does.
    They sure do have emotions in TS3 - Just look at his face when he realizes he has to give his baby up
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/807567/my-sim-had-an-alien-baby#latest
    And they sing in the shower when they're happy & if you have NRaas mods just enable Sims tags, go to map view & hover over Sims tags, some will be furious. They are just programmed not to be as expressive as the Sims in TS4.
  • Options
    Anavastia wrote: »
    I just can't move on from 3, i like the entire mechanics and open world but even the bit of details it has. I like the different books i can read to my toddlers and children. I like the way recipes and groceries work. I like the collections and uses for them. I think the sandbox game really came alive towards the end somewhat though i really wish a lot of store content where more connective to the gameplay. I am still dying for a farm ep in sims 3. However, i can say that i am loving what i already have and i don't see a reason to move on to a game that just doesn't even offer anything i like to play with.

Comparing base game to base game sims 3 just wins hands down for me because of the way i play the game. I know a lot of people say it was more creative oriented, well i think it did give some great creative tools. However gameplay wise even though it wasn't a huge step forward in simulation play it still held on to what is fun about sims to play. I just feel as a consumer perhaps my money is not wanted by the franchise anymore and that's why they made sims 4 because they knew majority of my player type would hate the game.

I made a farm with Grandpa's Grove, the chicken coops in Sweet country living set, the cows in the milking it dairy corral, Brunch @ the old Mill for Grandma's canning station, & putting my female Sim in a kerchief /bandana on her head & overalls, the Maintenance man who I plan for the female Sim to crush on & hopefully eventually marry in overalls & straw hat, & her son in overalls too.
    The Grandpa's Grove is the house they can live in. The kid loves to play with the baby chickens & collect the eggs.
    Maybe you can try that & find it satisfying or work toward it. I know its hard to get all those sets at once.
    But just thought I'd throw that out there as a suggestion.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    zombii3 wrote: »
    TS4 was meant to be easier to play for everyone.
    That meaning, even if you play on a junkie laptop you can play just as well as someone with a top notch computer - which is why there is no open world, or amazing graphics. That being said I still love this game - I feel like the moods let me actually know what my Sim is feeling and what their thought process is like because I can see easier what makes them happy quicker, what makes them upset quicker, etc.
    -Sure, TS3 has amazing graphics, it has open world, it has larger maps. But, TS3 has been around for a longer time and it's obviously going to be "better" than a newly released game. I feel it's unfair to compare TS3 and TS4 when, honestly speaking, they're two completely different games and both based on different Sim dynamics.
    -TS3 is focused more on achieving your dream job/aspiration(edit: I meant this as it's more focused on the end goal/end game point of view). In TS3 I got annoyed that most of the goals the Sims wanted were to buy this or that, and sometimes I'd get a goal like to meet someone new. For such an open world game, I felt like it was very empty. I'd go to a public lot and maybe one other Sim would be there.
    -TS4 is focused on in the moment things - like what's making my Sim happy right now, and what little thing can my Sim do right now that can improve their job or their aspiration goals. I like that aspect of the game. Also, I've noticed there are more Sims running around and are more active in means of interactive with each other - for an example I just recently had a wedding, I invited 5 people, by the end of it there were over 15 people at the park that ended up joining the celebration.
    Don't get me wrong here I do like TS3 better than TS4 overall but that's only because there's so much content to tackle - and different things to do because it's been out for so long and there's so much extra content that has been released.
    However, I will not sit here and compare the two games as if they were ever alike. They're two completely different games. I could go on and on about each game separately - but all I need to say is; stop comparing apples to oranges.

I play both games. TS3 more than TS4. I've never had a problem with a lack of Sims being in a location where my Sims go.
    Even if its just service sims or paparazzi. I am playing a town right now & have made 6 Sims aside from the Sim I play.
    The town is overflowing with cashiers, & paparazzi.
    And as I read your post one thing in particular came to my mind; & that is I can remember the exact Sim I created with TS3 the first time I played it, the town I chose, the furniture I chose for his house & the excitement I felt when I saw how the game worked. How they learned skills, how the level meter was above their head, the excitement I felt over looking for collectibles,
    when he went fishing, the fun of sending him to another part of the world & being able to go with him with the camera. He had a vehicle he could use to get there.

It was a step up from TS2 which is the game I was playing when the commercial for an open world for TS3 came on.
    I was so excited to get TS3, I remember looking forward to getting it.
    That was the base game of TS3.
    I can't say the same about TS4 sadly. Sure, I remember the Sim I created in TS4 & the town I selected but I don't get excited about looking for collectibles or for fishing.
    Part of the reason why is because the collectibles are kind of weird imo, even though I haven't tried breeding frogs yet.
    I really don't have a desire to breed frogs. In TS3 my Sim could get rich with transfiguration of their various gems.

In TS4 the fish go bad in the fridge real quick, well they said they fixed that in this latest patch but I haven't played yet to see if its fixed in my game.
    The other collectibles in TS4 are dolls that emit an emotional aura, stones that do the same, & fossils.
    Still haven't figured out what to do with the fossils.

In TS3 the Sims could collect insects & earn a little money, donate them to the science center, gems, later flowers, & with seasons eggs during the Spring festival & other things.
    What I'm saying here is the TS3 game made more sense, the collectibles had a practical function.

There are about 5 things that really bother me a lot in TS4 & that is no CasT, no toddlers, no open world, no cars, & loading screens. CasT & open world will never return. Toddlers, will probably never come back either. Loading screens will never disappear & who knows about the cars.

imo games should progress not regress. I feel that TS4 while fun in some ways has regressed in just the basics of the game, comparing both base games.

• Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited January 2015
    I found a Provencal inspirations book at the library while looking for birdhouse books (boys want to make to make one) and I got inspired to gut Dragon Valley and make it over into Provence, France. I chose it because Monte Vista grass is the wrong color and I don't like that massive thing on the hill. I wanted more of a valley feel.

I spent two entire days just working on a garden and couple of buildings.

TWO DAYS.

I never got that engrossed in Sims 4, I had to force myself to play Sims 4 and kept wishing for the magic to return like it did when I first installed Sims 3. The first time I installed Sims 3, I got obsessed. I would get ticked off if I couldn't get into my game to see what my Sim would do next. I never felt that way with Sims 4. I thought it was because I was burned out, I have a very short attention span and I figured I was just over Simming.

Then after a 4 month break, I went back to Sims 3 and the magic is back.

I don't even know what to think at this point. I don't want to trash Sims 4 because I want to be fair. It can't compete with my Sims 3 game and it's EPs/SPs and an entire store full of content. But....it just doesn't hold my interest or fit my playstyle.

I really enjoy gutting an entire world and slowly building it back up to the vision I have. I like seeing the entire world with all the new buildings and how I've managed to capture the feel of my vision. I like making Sims to fit that world (in this case, I will borrow the ones in "France" and give them makeovers and new identities so they have the hidden French trait). Then, I like to send my Sim around this world so I can enjoy the ambiance I've created. The entire world! I can't do any of that in Sims 4 and I never will be able to do it because of the way they've chopped up the world into these tiny itty bitty chunks and the loading screens between every single lot.

I still plan on playing Sims 4 whenever I get bored with Sims 3 but I've done everything there is to do in Sims 4....more than once.... and there just enough there NOW for me to want to play it.

ETA: The floating heads......I had no idea how much I liked those floating heads till I saw it back as I was setting up my NRAAS mods. BTW, for those with empty town syndrome? Get the mods, my towns are never empty. I really like going to map view while my Sim is sleeping or working and just watching the town being pushed here and there by the mods.
  • Options
    faytheful wrote: »
    zombii3 wrote: »

There are about 5 things that really bother me a lot in TS4 & that is no CasT, no toddlers, no open world, no cars, & loading screens. CasT & open world will never return. Toddlers, will probably never come back either. Loading screens will never disappear & who knows about the cars.

imo games should progress not regress. I feel that TS4 while fun in some ways has regressed in just the basics of the game, comparing both base games.

^^^Yeah, that! :)
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    I came into the Sims 3 late and can't see any reason to leave anytime soon. There's a ton of play here and that's going to be a problem with Sims 4. Was there any real pent up demand for it? Had enough people gotten bored with Sims 3 for a long enough time to ensure a good release? Plus, it's something of a bare bones release (originally at 70 dollars!) with a promise of future additions (maybe at cost and maybe not) that seems to have taken a big step back to the Sims 2 (which was 10 years ago) in some of it's features- I really don't miss the loading screens in Sims 3 and I'm not looking forward to them if I ever switch to 4! Now, I've seen some videos of Sims 4 play and it looks pretty good- I really liked the house I saw and the way the sims behaved and interacted BUT it wasn't anything so shockingly advanced above 3 that I'm itching to buy it. I really think 4 is like the new Sim City- I couldn't wait to get it! It looked great! But, it released and was a mess. The initial reaction was so bad I waited a couple of months to give EA time to "fix it" and when I purchased it it was STILL a mess and I had a miserable time getting logged on and then the play was limited by small city sizes causing me to get hemmed in within a day of play. In the end I left it after a couple of weeks and I've never bothered going back. We'll see- if the Sims Store releases the next "Last" Venue of the Sims 3 in a couple of months or another Sims 3 "World" then you'll have your answer because EA is going to focus on where the money is.
  • Options
    JoeJoe11JoeJoe11 Posts: 1,406 Member
    For me, TS4 has definitely made me appreciate TS3 much more. I got back into it after TS4's release, ironically.
    c0Ixg8O.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I have World Adventures,have never been to France Yet
    I have Ambitions and still have never been a firefighter or a ghosthunter
    I have Island Paradise and have yet to run a resort
    I have yet to have a family larger than my wife one kid and myself
    I have tons of supernatural types I have not played as
    I have never made a simbot
    I never added an imaginary friend to my family
    I have the Bakery set and still have not ran one
    I own the Entire sims 3 store(aside from Grims manor,bought the door only...sigh!!) and about 60 percent is still waiting for my future stories and never touched still......
    This list could go on and on,the point is this game is so well done and so many possibilities you feel like you could never run out of things new to try.Sure there is a few gripes and a few things that could have been a bit better but even if that was 10 percent of the content there is still 90 percent of awesome.Have never enjoyed a game like this before in my life that allows so much creativity and so much imagination there is no way I am stopping.Sims 3. To me is not a life simulator but the opposite, it is an escape from life simulator where you can be who you want and do things you may never do in real life and all without regret.And if you make a bad decision you can wake up tomorrow and start all over.
    I did everything you mention except for the resort. I'm just going to do it all over again I guess ;)

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    macsen191macsen191 Posts: 1 New Member
    I love TS3. I used to play it a lot but my old computer couldn't handle it that well so I stopped and then lost the game(thinking an ex-roomate took it) so newer computer, had a bit of money and I never spoil myself so I bought the Starter Pack in Dec for my birthday present to myself. Now looking forward to getting some more Expansion packs and maybe some store stuff. (I really want the bakery... looks awesome.) I was contemplating getting TS4 but I wasn't going to shell out $60 for it. I'll wait til it drops down in price, and more stuff is out for it. Or maybe not... depends on what I hear about it, the more I hear the less I like.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I am playing Sims 3 and I still like it. I can't play Sims 4 because I have a MAC and in away I am glad. I don't think I would want Sims 4 even if I could play it on my computer. I could not stand not to have an open neighborhood, no pets, no world adventure no toddlers.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,924 Member
    I found a Provencal inspirations book at the library while looking for birdhouse books (boys want to make to make one) and I got inspired to gut Dragon Valley and make it over into Provence, France. I chose it because Monte Vista grass is the wrong color and I don't like that massive thing on the hill. I wanted more of a valley feel.

I spent two entire days just working on a garden and couple of buildings.

TWO DAYS.

I never got that engrossed in Sims 4, I had to force myself to play Sims 4 and kept wishing for the magic to return like it did when I first installed Sims 3. The first time I installed Sims 3, I got obsessed. I would get ticked off if I couldn't get into my game to see what my Sim would do next. I never felt that way with Sims 4. I thought it was because I was burned out, I have a very short attention span and I figured I was just over Simming.

Then after a 4 month break, I went back to Sims 3 and the magic is back.

I don't even know what to think at this point. I don't want to trash Sims 4 because I want to be fair. It can't compete with my Sims 3 game and it's EPs/SPs and an entire store full of content. But....it just doesn't hold my interest or fit my playstyle.

I really enjoy gutting an entire world and slowly building it back up to the vision I have. I like seeing the entire world with all the new buildings and how I've managed to capture the feel of my vision. I like making Sims to fit that world (in this case, I will borrow the ones in "France" and give them makeovers and new identities so they have the hidden French trait). Then, I like to send my Sim around this world so I can enjoy the ambiance I've created. The entire world! I can't do any of that in Sims 4 and I never will be able to do it because of the way they've chopped up the world into these tiny itty bitty chunks and the loading screens between every single lot.

I still plan on playing Sims 4 whenever I get bored with Sims 3 but I've done everything there is to do in Sims 4....more than once.... and there just enough there NOW for me to want to play it.

ETA: The floating heads......I had no idea how much I liked those floating heads till I saw it back as I was setting up my NRAAS mods. BTW, for those with empty town syndrome? Get the mods, my towns are never empty. I really like going to map view while my Sim is sleeping or working and just watching the town being pushed here and there by the mods.

I know exactly how you feel about Sims 3. I get totally absorbed in it too - especially when building. I've never gutted an entire world and tried to rebuild it from scratch though. Just building one house/lot can absorb me for days. Then it takes me another two or three days to get enough screen shots of it.
  • Options
    NevillsNevills Posts: 505 Member
    I love the graphics and the cute little knickknacks in Sims 4 (and the fact that it actually runs on my computer much better than Sims 3 ever did), but I miss my story progression and family tree which is why I'll probably be re-installing Sims 3.
    I'm a WoW playing, Doctor Who watching, Harry Potter reading, fan fiction writing simmer who is without a doubt a geek (and sometimes a super hero).

My wishlist
  • Options
    kiara07kiara07 Posts: 575 Member
    For me sims 3 is way better and there's a lot of things I haven't done yet.

Sims 4 is only good when one has less than half an hour to play.
  • Options
    Renamed190318Renamed190318 Posts: 11 New Member
    I blame Origin, they did nothing for Sims 3, and as a 3rd wheel it wobbles. I have downloaded sims4, it took all night, I registered on origin...EA ect...still cant get the game to open, EA screwed themselfs out of alot of money!!! So I just play 3 and am fine with that, why fix what isnt broken. As far as I can tell EA could have done one of two things instead of creating sims 4, they could have worked with a computer company like Dell or HP and came out with a Sims computer with processing power and video graphics...(with sims games etc already installed). In laptop and PC. Or/and come out with Sims 3.5-a patch of all patches? I dunno about that so much.
    Sims 4 isn't selling well, and why should it the box is empty. Until the USA gets better cheaper internet you will have a hard time selling anything like that here.
  • Options
    Renamed190318Renamed190318 Posts: 11 New Member
    Besides, with sims 4 everyday is patch day, with sims 3 everyday is play day.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @gunspunk Thanks for the friendly bump and welcome to the forums :smile:

Sadly some players are convinced that TS4 is the best game ever and will last forever :no_mouth:

We will see...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited May 2017
    No halas I wish it could be more sims 3 gamers in this planet, real players not just taking pictures of story with HQ and so much poses.
    The most popular game now is the sims 4 and everybody switches to it slowly. I am furious I don't have that game yet. I don't want to be mixed to a community I don't belong to despite I made some recolours in the past and except for stories . I accept reading ts4 stories because stories are appart from the gameplay.

and ts2 is the best as well ahah !! I also wish much more ts2 players as well. But I don't belong to the maxis match community so hard to have friends .
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    MazakeenMazakeen Posts: 440 Member
    Well, to answer the thread-title...
    -I am back after a decade long (aprox) hiatus. Good to be back. Sims 3 ftw.
    ie62Ymx.jpg
    Rawwrr...
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top