Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 3 more popular than ever?

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    I remember way back then when the old forum is still very popular (last year in fact). I started making male sims for fellow simmers. I even made a thread for my first one and got a ton of replies. The Sims and Modeling and Stories and Legacies had a lot of traffic. Multiple threads get bumped to the first page fast. And now this forum seemed so empty. Just try looking at those two forum sections I mentioned above for The Sims 4.

The franchise ended at Sims 3.. It's really sad.

I think that Ts3 would be seen as the last 'real' Sims game
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    amydiamondamydiamond Posts: 33 Member
    I've played all the Sims games and love TS3 the most by far. I did try Sims 4 and probably still play it about an hour a week to see what the game has to offer... but it doesn't hold my attention like TS3 has been able to (even with the base game alone.) I'm hopeful that with a few more expansions for TS4 that it will improve, but until then... TS3 all the way!
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    TS3 has never lost it's appeal for me but the forums are pretty quiet compared with the old boards so I don't know if it's true to say it's more popular than ever

I think forums as a whole - not just forums about Sims - have been dying. We had a flourishing Sims 3 forum on the old board, but many people decided not to come over to the new one. I have to confess I'm hardly here myself, I just can't get 'into' this place...
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited December 2014
    it is not far....
    is if ask
    Windows XP is more popular than ever (after launch of Windows Vista)
  • Options
    dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    KarinL wrote: »
    TS3 has never lost it's appeal for me but the forums are pretty quiet compared with the old boards so I don't know if it's true to say it's more popular than ever

I think forums as a whole - not just forums about Sims - have been dying. We had a flourishing Sims 3 forum on the old board, but many people decided not to come over to the new one. I have to confess I'm hardly here myself, I just can't get 'into' this place...

I have to say there are certain quarters of the forums I will never stray in to again due to the contentious, bratty behaviour of some simmers and these boards don't really appeal to me as much as the old ones, but perhaps things will pick up again. I do love a good chat about the sims or anything really I would hate to see the boards to die off.
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • Options
    KarinL wrote: »

I have to say there are certain quarters of the forums I will never stray in to again due to the contentious, bratty behaviour of some simmers and these boards don't really appeal to me as much as the old ones, but perhaps things will pick up again. I do love a good chat about the sims or anything really I would hate to see the boards to die off.

I mentioned before that they should have never closed the old forums down straight away. It brought a lot of people who weren't interested in TS4 onto a site that they didn't wish to use and sadly many people have left and are unlikely to return.

But I do feel that this area has picked up slightly
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Puzman4Puzman4 Posts: 246 Member
    i bought the sims 4 last week (for only 29,99!!) online at origin. i thought, "it can't be that bad". in fact, now i know why i was not enthusiastic about it's release, which i was for all the other Sims releases... it is just not the Sims how i know it from the first Sims game. fortunately i could return the Sims 4 within 24 hours. i have tried the new "building" experience, i was elected to try the CAS a few months ago, which i left after creating just 1 sim because i missed a lot of features. Then after finally creating a house last sunday (which did not make me happy) i tried playing it. did not work for me. so i returned the game and started up the sims 3. just can't stop loving it (yet). The Sims 5 must continue in line of the Sims 3, just update the bugs and restyle the look of it, include weather of the seasons EP and family life of the generations EP and EA's would be golden. (at least according to my opinion.) happy Sims3-simming!
  • Options
    Puzman4 wrote: »
    i bought the sims 4 last week (for only 29,99!!) online at origin. i thought, "it can't be that bad". in fact, now i know why i was not enthusiastic about it's release, which i was for all the other Sims releases... it is just not the Sims how i know it from the first Sims game. fortunately i could return the Sims 4 within 24 hours. i have tried the new "building" experience, i was elected to try the CAS a few months ago, which i left after creating just 1 sim because i missed a lot of features. Then after finally creating a house last sunday (which did not make me happy) i tried playing it. did not work for me. so i returned the game and started up the sims 3. just can't stop loving it (yet). The Sims 5 must continue in line of the Sims 3, just update the bugs and restyle the look of it, include weather of the seasons EP and family life of the generations EP and EA's would be golden. (at least according to my opinion.) happy Sims3-simming!

Its hard to get bored of The Sims 3 these days with all the EPs. Even the base game was addictive
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I did give Sims 4 a try, and it's fun. But it's missing so many things that won't be added back. I love CASt -- I think removing it was a huge mistake. Of course, with CASt, you don't need to buy nearly as many things from the Sims store (though I own the store). I'm not even a big builder so I thought I wouldn't miss it, but not being able to personalize, well, anything has turned out to be a deal breaker for me.

It's not that Sims 3 is perfect -- it's far from it. But it's far more fun.

And Sims 3 sims do have emotions -- they're just not highlighted in various colors. But the wishes that pop up for them generally are prompted from what is going on around them, even moreso than in the Sims 4, actually. For instance, when my writer sim is inspired in the sims 4, he can get "emotion based" wishes to plant something, paint something, discuss art, things of that nature. Whereas in the Sims 3, my writer sim will get wishes to write a masterpiece, write 40 novels, write a best seller, write 25 best sellers, etc. IOW, the wishes are based on what he actually does.
  • Options
    DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    I would have to disagree with the people saying the sims 3 is more popular than ever. It's not. It's popularity has since peaked, I believe. Don't get me wrong, I still play it (just ended a play session today with Holly Alto at college), but if you take a look around online...it's definitely not as prominent as it once was. Especially TheSims3.com. But that's okay. The game still has a huge, devoted fanbase. The Sims 2 site lasted about 4 and 1/2 years after the final expansion for Sims 2, I am thinking that the Sims 3 site will last even longer than that. People like to move on with the time, and The Sims 3 is already five (!!) and a half years old...people have moved on.
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • Options
    spazekadetspazekadet Posts: 5 New Member
    No clue. I don't have Sims 4, but I'm kind of attached to my Sims in Sims 3. I tried remaking them in the Sims 4 demo, but they just don't seem the same. I'm perfectly happy to keep playing Sims 3.
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Puzman4 wrote: »

Its hard to get bored of The Sims 3 these days with all the EPs. Even the base game was addictive
    Not sure about the base game being addictive. But by Seasons and definitely IP, TS3 had finally worthwhile sandbox content that would keep me playing for more than an hour. But nothing like the 8-10 marathon hour obsessive sessions I used to log back in the day with TS2. lol.

But thanks to TS3's open world, twallan's mods, TS3's customization CAS & build tools, simmer CC & custom worlds (like SimsKeys Paris and Oahu) my TS3 sims can finally enjoy full lives. This includes finally being able to go on true vacations which they couldn't since WA. So when Winter hits SV, my sims pack up and go on vacation to warmer tropical getaways like Sims Keys Paris, ST, IP, Oahu, or LP. Or the more adventurous & workaholic ones drag their families to places like WA, Serta or Jericho. Their families can finally relax and get a nice tan on the beaches of Al Simhara, while my tomb raiding sim follows up with a career opportunity. Or satisfies their selfish urge to loot and pillage.

Even had my LTW tomb raiding sim take his young child into one of the pyramids in Al Simhara. Kid had the daredevil and brave traits and so had a blast. That little encounter with the Mummy ended up bringing father and son closer together. :smile:

Now that all EPs & SPs are out, TS3 is not as addicting as TS2. But it's definitely a lot more interesting to play :smiley:

• Options
    MagnaSonic3000MagnaSonic3000 Posts: 89 Member
    For me, it has to do with the game feels barren. After a while, you run out of things to do, and I agree TS4 has way less going for it than the base game of TS3. Yeah the third game is a massive resource hog. Yeah with all the expansion packs and stuff packs installed (like with mine), not to mention who knows how much custom content and all the mods, the game becomes half your hard drive, eating space day by day like a kid who can't stay out of the junk food. But it had content, and quite a bit of variety. Yes, build mode in 4 is so very delicious and my only regret about liking 3 more than 4 is I can't just grab rooms and move them into better positions (BAAAAAARGH), but as it stands, 3 has way more going for it.

And yes, it's also helped that today's computers can run the blasted thing way better than ye olden ones who cried by the time we had the second expansion (some did it after World Adventures introduced a whole new bug hunt).
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited December 2014
    I have some 220 hours logged on in Sims 4 but still can't get into it.

On the other hand, I have new games started in Sims 3. I sat and watched my sim, favorite, make herself some waffles, put them in the fridge, finish her laundry, chat with someone on the computer, go to the fridge when she got hungry and ate her waffles, then washed dishes...all without my doing anything but watching. And they say the sims 4 sims are smarter...I don't think so. :D

There are a few things introduced in 4 that I could miss, the group convos, being able to move anything around on the walls, multitasking, but that's about it. Just too much is missing, so I am back to 3.

Probably will play more of Sims 4 after more stuff is introduced, but for now, my sim needs to go on 🐸🐸🐸🐸 before he's off to college. B)

plum = v.a.c.a. :s
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Multitasking is not all it's cracked up to be in the Sims 4. There are very few things that they're actually multitasking -- watching TV and running on a treadmill is the only one I can think of, really. Everything else, they're alternating between things. If you try to paint, write, eat, drink while talking, for instance, it will take 3-4x as long as it does when your sim just first eats, then goes and has a conversation. Same with a game of chess -- while your sim can talk, they will either be playing OR talking -- not doing both.

In Sims 3, your sims actually do talk while doing these things, though they're not gaining charisma doing it. Still, they play chess and chat, and the game doesn't stop for the conversation -- same with eating. I think the idea of multitasking in the Sims 4 is good, I don't think it's implemented well at all.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've just come out of a session in TS3 after adding three more NRaas Mod files and having 71 NRaas Mod files installed instead of the 68 I had until today.I had fun playing two families in my legacy game and there's another family about to have a baby.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Multitasking is not all it's cracked up to be in the Sims 4. There are very few things that they're actually multitasking -- watching TV and running on a treadmill is the only one I can think of, really. Everything else, they're alternating between things. If you try to paint, write, eat, drink while talking, for instance, it will take 3-4x as long as it does when your sim just first eats, then goes and has a conversation. Same with a game of chess -- while your sim can talk, they will either be playing OR talking -- not doing both.

In Sims 3, your sims actually do talk while doing these things, though they're not gaining charisma doing it. Still, they play chess and chat, and the game doesn't stop for the conversation -- same with eating. I think the idea of multitasking in the Sims 4 is good, I don't think it's implemented well at all.

Thank you! I was starting to think I was the only one who noticed this, because no one has posted about it! I noticed right away that things such as writing, eating etc, take a super long time to finish because of the "multi-tasking." It bothered me so much that that is one of the reasons I will not play Sims 4 again (at least not for a long time). I could never get my sims to finish things because they were too busy talking to other sims.

modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • Options
    spazekadetspazekadet Posts: 5 New Member
    > @king_of_simcity7 said:

> Its hard to get bored of The Sims 3 these days with all the EPs. Even the base game was addictive

I think that would be a big problem tho. If you buy all of the EP's and store content for 3 & then have to start back at the base game for 4, it ends up being a huge waste of money. I'm sure they're going to have EP's for Sims 4, but again how many people are willing to buy all of the expansions for 4 after spending so much money on 3? Personally, I'd rather just stick with 3.
  • Options
    realromsterrealromster Posts: 5 New Member
    ejoslin hit the nail on the head:

"Multitasking is not all it's cracked up to be in the Sims 4. There are very few things that they're actually multitasking -- watching TV and running on a treadmill is the only one I can think of, really. Everything else, they're alternating between things. If you try to paint, write, eat, drink while talking, for instance, it will take 3-4x as long as it does when your sim just first eats, then goes and has a conversation. Same with a game of chess -- while your sim can talk, they will either be playing OR talking -- not doing both."

4 definitely nees some serious upgrading in these areas before I'll even consider buying an expansion pack for it...
  • Options
    simmesesimmese Posts: 1,536 Member
    I like TS4 but tbh im bored with it

You cant play a true family because theres no tree and no toddlers , and the babies are objects anyway (what were they thinking) ... plus theres nowhere to go really , and even if you did you'd have those horrendous loading screens to deal with which pull me out of my game mentally speaking

So yeah , I still play my TS3 just as much as I ever have :)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    I did give Sims 4 a try, and it's fun. But it's missing so many things that won't be added back. I love CASt -- I think removing it was a huge mistake. Of course, with CASt, you don't need to buy nearly as many things from the Sims store (though I own the store). I'm not even a big builder so I thought I wouldn't miss it, but not being able to personalize, well, anything has turned out to be a deal breaker for me.

It's not that Sims 3 is perfect -- it's far from it. But it's far more fun.

And Sims 3 sims do have emotions -- they're just not highlighted in various colors. But the wishes that pop up for them generally are prompted from what is going on around them, even moreso than in the Sims 4, actually. For instance, when my writer sim is inspired in the sims 4, he can get "emotion based" wishes to plant something, paint something, discuss art, things of that nature. Whereas in the Sims 3, my writer sim will get wishes to write a masterpiece, write 40 novels, write a best seller, write 25 best sellers, etc. IOW, the wishes are based on what he actually does.
    Exactly. All the assignments they get make sense and if they don't - sometimes the game makes a random suggestion - you only have to ignore it once to won't be bothered with it again.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    I just can't move on from 3, i like the entire mechanics and open world but even the bit of details it has. I like the different books i can read to my toddlers and children. I like the way recipes and groceries work. I like the collections and uses for them. I think the sandbox game really came alive towards the end somewhat though i really wish a lot of store content where more connective to the gameplay. I am still dying for a farm ep in sims 3. However, i can say that i am loving what i already have and i don't see a reason to move on to a game that just doesn't even offer anything i like to play with.

Comparing base game to base game sims 3 just wins hands down for me because of the way i play the game. I know a lot of people say it was more creative oriented, well i think it did give some great creative tools. However gameplay wise even though it wasn't a huge step forward in simulation play it still held on to what is fun about sims to play. I just feel as a consumer perhaps my money is not wanted by the franchise anymore and that's why they made sims 4 because they knew majority of my player type would hate the game.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    I found out there are many problems with The Sims 3 world which includes the expansion packs it is true that The Sims 3 was on a convergence of the change in OS's at the same time the change to a 64 bit operating system and also to make things even worse a change in OS's and also a lot of new graphics cards coming out at such a fast rate they couldn't test everyone of those cards. Also people that didn't have a clue what to look for often bought main stream computers hoping it will run the sims 3 game, remember sales people are paid on commission so they will say yes to anything to get you to buy the computer and make money. Also the base game and a few expansion packs and stuff packs are designed to work with main stream computers, but not all. Than on the flip side you have people buying these gaming computers that have overpowered graphics cards and wonders why the sims 3 won't play on it. So all this problems no wonder why so many people have been having problems.

I believe that EA underestimated what kind of gamers they have, but I think they so munch wanted the unsupported main stream crowd to get more money, if the game works well on main stream that is more money for them. However, even though the sims 4 is not open world and has smaller lots the emotional side of the game is actually quite entertaining. I do not believe the Sims 4 will ever surpass the Sims 3 unlike the Sims 2. I believe EA has two types of game communities now a Sims 3 community and a Sims 4 community, I also think this is why they are not opening the store for the Sims 4 is because the sims 3 store is still popular. The game is still making money.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    MilutinMujovicMilutinMujovic Posts: 1,188 Member
    I am staying on TS3. TS4 is just not for me. Many, many options are lacking and it is way too much priced for its lack of content I want.
    4. However, I am really 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off because they ended support for The Sims 3, and no further patches will be fixed, even though there are still many annoying and game-breaking bugs. :(
  • Options
    This game has kept me busy lately, no such thing as The Sims 4 in my world, its all about TS3 and always will be
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top