Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 3 more popular than ever?

Comments

• Options
    Nikkiedge13Nikkiedge13 Posts: 4 New Member
    > @lisamwitt said:
    > I've always loved Sims 2&3 and I can play both better now with my Macbook than I ever could before, so that's made it even better. I could play Sims 4 on parallels, since that's how I play Sims 2 anyway, but it hasn't drawn me in at all yet. Every once in awhile I take a look at what people have made and I've checked out player videos, but it just doesn't appeal to me. Probably in large part because I do play 2&3 so much still.

If you don't mind me asking how did you get the sims 3 to play using parallels? I just installed parallels and windows on my MacBook and can't figure it out to save my life!!
  • Options
    DCPuppyGirlDCPuppyGirl Posts: 1,318 Member
    I really tried to like TS4, but it gets boring quickly. In TS3, you have a big world to explore and lots of drama (thanks to Nraas Story Progression Mod). There is not a lot of drama in TS4.
    5dK3aTu.gif
  • Options
    ZalloriZallori Posts: 56 Member
    GREENEYA wrote: »
    TS3 is the best sims game.

agreed, I love TS3, I really appreciate it more since the 4 has came out. I know it sounds silly but it kind of hurt my feelings a bit that it seemed like only a partial game. Of course, standing next to an excellent model like TS3 you would really have to do something outstanding to even catch up with it.
    Are they stopping any further expansions for TS3? I thought I read something concerning the Italy pack but it could of been the name that messed me up.
  • Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited December 2014
    One thing not mentioned, is how limited build mode is in sims 4, not counting cast. It is a build mode made for beginners, not long time builders. It is lacking way too much. I don't really want to go into the specifics, I talked about it a whole lot in the sims 4 idea section. I made one home in sims 4, and with my modern style, it is way too limited on the type of home I can make.

Other than that, I don't have much to add. Sims 4 simply doesn't have the main things I like that I love in sims 3. I don't like the cartoony graphics of sims 4, for instance. And how I play in sims 3, I love huge neighborhoods and seeing all the sims I made grow up, you know, a few hundred of them, instead of fifty at best in sims 4. And I enjoy taking my sims around the neighborhood and going back and forth easily between my sims. Those things will never happen in sims 4.

I really hope that they will get it right for sims 5!! I get the idea that the open world is intensive on computers, but in five years hopefully computers can handle open worlds really well, and ea will make sims 5 open world. I would love a bigger neighborhood than is in sims 3 even! Sims just need to not stall as much as they do in sims 3, and that would cut down on the time it takes to go places.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    The grass was not greener for me. I have a whole new love and respect for TS3 these days. I always loved TS3 but I was hoping for even better, well, that doesn't look to be happening.
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    I have World Adventures,have never been to France Yet
    I have Ambitions and still have never been a firefighter or a ghosthunter
    I have Island Paradise and have yet to run a resort
    I have yet to have a family larger than my wife one kid and myself
    I have tons of supernatural types I have not played as
    I have never made a simbot
    I never added an imaginary friend to my family
    I have the Bakery set and still have not ran one
    I own the Entire sims 3 store(aside from Grims manor,bought the door only...sigh!!) and about 60 percent is still waiting for my future stories and never touched still......
    This list could go on and on,the point is this game is so well done and so many possibilities you feel like you could never run out of things new to try.Sure there is a few gripes and a few things that could have been a bit better but even if that was 10 percent of the content there is still 90 percent of awesome.Have never enjoyed a game like this before in my life that allows so much creativity and so much imagination there is no way I am stopping.Sims 3. To me is not a life simulator but the opposite, it is an escape from life simulator where you can be who you want and do things you may never do in real life and all without regret.And if you make a bad decision you can wake up tomorrow and start all over.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    One thing not mentioned, is how limited build mode is in sims 4, not counting cast. It is a build mode made for beginners, not long time builders. It is lacking way too much. I don't really want to go into the specifics, I talked about it a whole lot in the sims 4 idea section. I made one home in sims 4, and with my modern style, it is way too limited on the type of home I can make.

Other than that, I don't have much to add. Sims 4 simply doesn't have the main things I like that I love in sims 3. I don't like the cartoony graphics of sims 4, for instance. And how I play in sims 3, I love huge neighborhoods and seeing all the sims I made grow up, you know, a few hundred of them, instead of fifty at best in sims 4. And I enjoy taking my sims around the neighborhood and going back and forth easily between my sims. Those things will never happen in sims 4.

I really hope that they will get it right for sims 5!! I get the idea that the open world is intensive on computers, but in five years hopefully computers can handle open worlds really well, and ea will make sims 5 open world. I would love a bigger neighborhood than is in sims 3 even! Sims just need to not stall as much as they do in sims 3, and that would cut down on the time it takes to go places.
    The size of the world as such would be fine by me. It would be great if we could travel between them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member

The size of the world as such would be fine by me. It would be great if we could travel between them.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with the 'large' neighborhood size that is in the sims 3. I just always hope for bigger and better, even when I know what I want isn't realistic. You can kind of switch between neighborhoods in sims 3, but they aren't full neighborhoods. You can with the traveler mod though. The loading time is too long for me to want to do it often, though. Loading time is key to making something like that work. It's too long to load between lots in sims 4, if you ask me. But we wouldn't have to switch neighborhoods often, unlike switching between lots.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    OK, we all know the game has had its ups and downs, sure it may not run well on everyone's PCs and you would need mods to survive but lets face it, it is only the most advanced Sims game out there and after the flop that they call 'The Sims 4' it seems everyone is going back to the warm feelings of the open world, brilliant customisation with CASt and of course, those annoying but lovable toddlers...

Back in 2009 TS3 was well ahead of its time, a lot of PCs couldn't handle it, large especially where a drain on RAM but now PCs have caught up and what was once 'a buggy mess' full of those save errors (Can I say that EA never even acknowledged this issue let alone fix it) and seemed to be a 'bare base game' has turned out to be a huge playable success with all EPs, SPs and content.

TS4 will get new content yes, but the game is behind in the times, some things will never be added such as open world and that is a big let down for the series, so while TS3 was ahead of the times and slowly people caught up, TS4 is behind the times and quickly people are leaving it.

So, am I the only one who thinks that The Sims 3 is now at its most popular despite the fact there is a new game out?

Happy Simming :-)

I don't believe it is more popular then it used to be, but players are being more vocal about it. I loved TS3 when I discovered the open world. I continue to play because I create new worlds with new themes that is like playing a new game every time. The possibilities seem endless.
  • Options
    cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    Sims 3 runs beautifully on my new laptop. I have NRAAS mods installed which helps some of the broken parts of Sims 3. I copied all my saved games to my new laptop. I can Run and launch Island Paradise now on my new laptop almost lag free (after deleting all the bugged families of course). I have several saved games that are all different from each other so when I get bored with one saved game, I just bop over to another saved game.

I gave and am giving Sims 4 some game play but I am bored to tears with it. My game play has never been that of a *collector* and that IMHO is what Sims 4 is. You garden, collect, cook and fish.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Sims 4 bored me so badly that I actually bought the Sims 1 complete collection. I had to experience the awesomeness that started it all, once again. I hadn't played since 2004 after Sims 2 launched, but with the huge mess that is the current game I needed to go back. Wow, what great memories and the job of rediscovering game play that I had forgotten about. Seems those who are responsible for Sims 4 need to take a history lesson and play the Original and also Sims 2. So maybe when they finally make the game players actually want it will have all the greatness from Sims 1, 2, and 3.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2014

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't be unhappy with the 'large' neighborhood size that is in the sims 3. I just always hope for bigger and better, even when I know what I want isn't realistic. You can kind of switch between neighborhoods in sims 3, but they aren't full neighborhoods. You can with the traveler mod though. The loading time is too long for me to want to do it often, though. Loading time is key to making something like that work. It's too long to load between lots in sims 4, if you ask me. But we wouldn't have to switch neighborhoods often, unlike switching between lots.
    Exactly. Like I really don't mind the loading screen when I travel to one of the WA countries, the campus or Oasis Landing. You do that every now and then, it's a sort of an extra. In Sims 4 it's necessary to go through them if you don't want to be 'grounded' ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Twilight2757Twilight2757 Posts: 55 Member
    It may not be "more" popular, but like many people have said, they are being more vocal about it since The Sims 4. I still absolutely love The Sims 3. My favorite is the open world because I always have my sims go out and make new friends around town, and with the open world concept, it makes that easier to see where most people are. :))

Cannot wait for a better laptop though, I can't play Pets. They all look like creepy monsters from your nightmares. This poor laptop isn't worth upgrading it's graphics card or even buying a new one. But hey, it lets me use the other games.
  • Options
    gypsy54gypsy54 Posts: 484 Member
    I have World Adventures,have never been to France Yet
    I have Ambitions and still have never been a firefighter or a ghosthunter
    I have Island Paradise and have yet to run a resort
    I have yet to have a family larger than my wife one kid and myself
    I have tons of supernatural types I have not played as
    I have never made a simbot
    I never added an imaginary friend to my family
    I have the Bakery set and still have not ran one
    I own the Entire sims 3 store(aside from Grims manor,bought the door only...sigh!!) and about 60 percent is still waiting for my future stories and never touched still......
    This list could go on and on,the point is this game is so well done and so many possibilities you feel like you could never run out of things new to try.Sure there is a few gripes and a few things that could have been a bit better but even if that was 10 percent of the content there is still 90 percent of awesome.Have never enjoyed a game like this before in my life that allows so much creativity and so much imagination there is no way I am stopping.Sims 3. To me is not a life simulator but the opposite, it is an escape from life simulator where you can be who you want and do things you may never do in real life and all without regret.And if you make a bad decision you can wake up tomorrow and start all over.

I could have not said it better myself. I own the store and all the EP'S & SP's and I haven't even played with half the sets yet or tried more than a few of the careers or even played games in some of the worlds yet. I have years of content and gameplay to try and no other game has ever come close to keeping me totally absorbed for hours on end, so much so that I even forget to eat. I also think of the game as an escape from RL, you can do and own things that you will never have in RL, but in the sims you can be or have what we can usually only dream of.

I'm glad I decided to hold off on buying TS4 and the more I see and hear about the game, I'm very glad I didn't spend my money on it. I will continue to play TS3 and love every minute of it.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,926 Member
    Now I know there will be no new things released for Sims 3 I am finally starting to try things I haven't done yet. There's too many of them to list.
  • Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    > @Karritz said:
    > Now I know there will be no new things released for Sims 3 I am finally starting to try things I haven't done yet. There's too many of them to list.

That's what I'm saying. I recently just brought the sims 3. I held out waiting for them to go on sale. So! I've gotten a lot of them cheap. I'm loving it. I want to try and do every LTW! =)
  • Options
    zombii3zombii3 Posts: 388 Member
    edited December 2014
    TS4 was meant to be easier to play for everyone.
    That meaning, even if you play on a junkie laptop you can play just as well as someone with a top notch computer - which is why there is no open world, or amazing graphics. That being said I still love this game - I feel like the moods let me actually know what my Sim is feeling and what their thought process is like because I can see easier what makes them happy quicker, what makes them upset quicker, etc.
    -Sure, TS3 has amazing graphics, it has open world, it has larger maps. But, TS3 has been around for a longer time and it's obviously going to be "better" than a newly released game. I feel it's unfair to compare TS3 and TS4 when, honestly speaking, they're two completely different games and both based on different Sim dynamics.
    -TS3 is focused more on achieving your dream job/aspiration(edit: I meant this as it's more focused on the end goal/end game point of view). In TS3 I got annoyed that most of the goals the Sims wanted were to buy this or that, and sometimes I'd get a goal like to meet someone new. For such an open world game, I felt like it was very empty. I'd go to a public lot and maybe one other Sim would be there.
    -TS4 is focused on in the moment things - like what's making my Sim happy right now, and what little thing can my Sim do right now that can improve their job or their aspiration goals. I like that aspect of the game. Also, I've noticed there are more Sims running around and are more active in means of interactive with each other - for an example I just recently had a wedding, I invited 5 people, by the end of it there were over 15 people at the park that ended up joining the celebration.
    Don't get me wrong here I do like TS3 better than TS4 overall but that's only because there's so much content to tackle - and different things to do because it's been out for so long and there's so much extra content that has been released.
    However, I will not sit here and compare the two games as if they were ever alike. They're two completely different games. I could go on and on about each game separately - but all I need to say is; stop comparing apples to oranges.
  • Options
    Mia_KitoMia_Kito Posts: 507 Member
    edited December 2014
    Ah, I was going to start a topic something much similar to this, but now since I'm here...

I have been with the Sims ever since the original Sims came out.. Okay, well ever since the Sims Living Large expansion pack came out and a friend of mine told me about it.
    I have been growing and evolving with the sims since then. I still play the original Sims from time to time (although my pets do not interact with each other for some reason) and I LOVE it. We have come a LONG way from then and I hate to see it all tarnished with the new Sims 4.
    While I can say I have never played the Sims 4 (and wont until it becomes appealing to me) I can also say that for years Simmers have been requesting more realism. I remember the previews for the Sims 2 showing a sim looking around and evolving with actual facial details, body details, and fingers! Gosh, it was like a dream come true to have all that customization! Actually, if you want a trip down memory lane, here is the official trailer, minus the bad quality: (Go to you-tube and look up Sims 2 Official Trailer) - Apparently even though I have had this account for 5 years I have to "Be around a little longer to post links".... seriously?))

Then, in Sims 2, we wanted to be able to explore and see the whole neighborhood. Since in Sims 2 we got what we wanted, which was more realism in sim detail than the original Sims had to offer, we wanted the neighborhood to be visible, to look and see what our other sims were doing, especially during that boring downtime you had while your sim was at work.
    Now, in Sims 3, I have to say the game is at it's prime, the most we have ever wanted in the sims: Realism and a full view of the town.
    Not to mention in Sims 3 we were given a HUGE option of editing the color and style of majority of our items. (this is taken for granted a lot in my opinion)

Yes, I agree, it is not good on older computers, but with only a couple years from now this will be a more stationary game for many running processors, if not already. I actually bought a whole new computer to play the Sims 3 Pets. Because I LOVE horses and I was shocked they added horses! When I bought it the animals looked like bendy straws and I was so upset. But $600 dollars later I have a prime gaming computer that I also use for school work and anything I fancy (my previous computer was a Toshiba laptop that was about 5 years old and highly outdated). I also remember Sims 2 requiring much more out of a PC than the original Sims. Same for the Sims 3. Why should the Sims 4 be any different? They ignored it then, why would they listen now? In the end it always turns out for the best, because by the time computers have caught up they are mostly done releasing their expansion packs. (haha, you know it's true)

So, to see the Sims 4 reverting back to a more cartoonish look was repealing enough for me, but to be told you cannot see the neighborhood (because I love spying on my mischievous neighbors), and to be told it did not originally come with pools... Really?! The Sims have always had pools! Why would you ever take away the pools?! Nonetheless, while I love the that they have brought back their music form the original sims and allow it to play in the game, and not to mention the moods, this is a 'side game' at best. I would pay no more for it than I would an expansion pack, and that's on a good day.

I feel sorry for those who have never experienced the building blocks of The Sims series. It took us years of begging for more realism, more options. And finally when they give us a game that, granted we needed lots of mods to make fun, meets all of our requirements, they start reverting back. Devolution is one word that describes the Sims 4 in my opinion and I'm not likely to change it soon.♥
    Post edited by Mia_Kito on
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,926 Member
    The main reason why it not achieved so many things in Sims 3 is because I am not often interested in chasing goals or achievements.

I am interested in not being bound to a predefined scripted progress through a Game.

The Sims 3 meets my needs because I can play with complex families in multiple households if I want to play families.

Mostly I don't play families though. But I like to be able to play families if I want to.

The thing I enjoy doing is building. I like to be challenged by my building and I like to be able to learn new skills in building and seeing the results of my creativity. Most of the things I build are total failures but I enjoy the challenge. When I get to a point in my game where it is obvious the build is going nowhere good I lose interest in that game. I start another one and build something else using ideas I got from my abandoned build and expanding on them.

Sims 3 has room blueprints and I experimented with them a few times. That was an extremely unsatisfying way of building and I found them quite boring.

Therefore I Have fun my way with Sims 3. Therefore I will stick with it. The only game I could move on to would be a bug free modded Sims 3 type of game.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've just added two new Stuff Packs for TS3 and got my regular Sims 3 folder back in and I'm enjoying the game as I intended to when I first bought it after buying a new computer that ended up more than capable of running it.I'm playing with over 70 NRaas Mod files and easily over 20 smaller Mods from other places like MTS and tons of CC and I'm back to enjoying my legacies.I've been playing my town legacy challenge game in Winfield and watched a pet grow up into an adult and a toddler get to 30 days away from becoming a child.I've got four households in that town and play all of them.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    > @lisamwitt said:<br />
    > I've always loved Sims 2&3 and I can play both better now with my Macbook than I ever could before, so that's made it even better. I could play Sims 4 on parallels, since that's how I play Sims 2 anyway, but it hasn't drawn me in at all yet. Every once in awhile I take a look at what people have made and I've checked out player videos, but it just doesn't appeal to me. Probably in large part because I do play 2&3 so much still.<br />
    <br />
    If you don't mind me asking how did you get the sims 3 to play using parallels? I just installed parallels and windows on my MacBook and can't figure it out to save my life!!

After you installed parallels, you should have been able to just start it up, install Windows in it, and then install your games in there like usual. I have Sims 2 running in parallels, but not Sims 3, so maybe there is something I'm not aware of. But with Sims 2, I just installed everything like normal. It had some graphics issues my husband had to fix, but now it's fine.
    But you don't really need parallels for Sims 3 anyway, they released a native Mac version if you use Origin. Just uninstall your windows version of the games and Origin if you already have it, make sure you are on your Mac and not parallels, and download Origin again. It should automatically see that you have a Mac and give you the right version. Then all the Mac versions of the games will be there. I had a PC when I purchased all of my Sims 3 games, then switched over to my Macbook and everything worked just fine.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    myrakiiimyrakiii Posts: 229 Member
    I think it is. The Sims 4 got a fair amount of publicity, and when it came out I guess people were a bit let down. The Sims 3 looks more realistic to me, while the Sims 4 more modern, crisp, high-tech. As much as Sims 4 is new and... expensive... I will always stay true to the Sims 3. :)
    hey there! i'm peachy, a sims 4 player that loves making characters!
    cas youtube!
  • Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited December 2014
    I prefer the style of Sims 4. I think it's prettier, I like pretty.

However; due to being bored and all the new bugs introduced in the December patch? I've gone back to playing Sims 3. The almost 4 months away from the game has me looking at it with fresh eyes. I'm pretty excited to get back in it. I only had the game for about 1.5 years before Sims 4 came out so I still have tons I haven't done in it.

I plan on playing both games, I like them both but prefer the game play of Sims 3 since it is a complete game and I own everything.

Anyways, I don't know if I would call it more popular. There were over 50K people on the gallery the other night and I can only imagine how many don't even go online. Sims 4 is pretty popular but I do think that since Sims 4 is so new and empty that it's made people appreciate older games even more. I'm sure the Sims 3 store is reflecting this with an increase in sales.

*shrugs* I don't like playing the game of which is better, which is more popular, etc etc. So, I'm not going to debate it.

I think I just totally lost my train of thought because NEW STUFF! I've been looking at all the new things made since Sims 4 came out and I'm excited (ETA stuff made for Sims 3). So much CC, my Sims are gonna be prettified.

I reserve the right to change my mind the second Sims 3 crashes in build mode and ticks me off so much that I uninstall it again in a rage fit.....lol.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    I have posted on so many of these types of threads.

Yes I still play S3, I'll probably always play S3 because of the open world and CASt, my mods and cc I have installed along with all the stuff/junk I've gotten from S3 store, including all the worlds and pc. There's just too much there to quit playing.

I still play S4 because there are things in 4 that I like that aren't in S3...closed neighborhoods and loading screens are not among them. :#

I love the way you can move stuff all over the walls in 4 and some of the pictures the sims are painting are fabulous. I do love the talking with a group of sims, much easier to make friends but keeping them has become a pain in the backside. I also think the romance/love aspect of S4 is much better than in 3. There seems to be many more interactions involved.

I am playing both and probably will for a long time to come. :)
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I've been a Sims player since Sims 1, but I never had much money to afford many of the expansion packs, so I played hours-on-days-on-months on just a couple of expansion packs for every iteration of the series. I especially loved Sims 1 and Sims 2. :)

With Sims 3, I was excited at first, but then I was kind of disappointed (with the base game) with the family play. Also, it could not play well with my old laptop. Not to mention, my first EP was...Island Paradise. Which was my biggest introduction to lags and routing issues. :(

However, with a newer computer, several more expansion packs, some store items, several patches, and with several Nraas mods installed, Sims 3 was beginning to be fun again. :)

I was enjoying everything about Sims 3...except I still hate having to initiate social or romantic actions for the sims, and, before the patch and several expansion packs like Generations, I had hated the lack of interactions for certain life-stages. To me, Sims 3 sims act so...distant from each other, and very subdued in expression. However, that may be because I was used to Sims 2 sims doing things with each other on their own, and Sims 2 sims are reacting constantly to each other whenever they are in the same room, and they tend to react with more over-the-top expressions and much more expressive body language.

Still, now that I can afford expansion packs/stuff packs/store items, and that the later patches brought about more interactions (if the Sims wikia is correct?), the Sims 3 is growing on me.

I liked Sims 4, but stuff like Sims not reacting to each other or to certain important events, the lack of toddlers, the lack of true teen characters, the linear gameplay/goals, no CASt, more loading screens, etc, are starting to put me off.

I don't play legacies, for various reasons. One of which is that I usually play with multiple immortal (never-aging) young adults who raise children who also rarely aged. I rotate to different families whenever I get bored with one. That, and I also play LGBT couples, so genetics would not be possible (without mods). (Though...with Into the Future, the "genetic engineering" helped, lol.) :)

However, I do play with families (immortal as they are, lol), and Sims 4 only has basic family play at the moment--especially compared to even the base games of Sims 2 and Sims 3. I would know about Sims 3 base game, because I didn't have any expansion packs for 3 until Island Paradise came out!

I'm still playing all of the other Sims games (1, 2, and 3), along with all of their expansion packs. I just recently added many expansion packs for 3, and just bought two Stuff packs and some store worlds, so I have lots of content in Sims 3 to explore. :) Until Sims 4 become less linear and introduce more family play, I would not play much Sims 4 and stick to Sims 3 instead. :)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top