Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Much Has The Sims 4 Sold Thus Far?

Comments

• Options
    TreycoxTreycox Posts: 79 Member
    Not a"Hater", just prefer Sims 3 to 4.
  • Options
    DatkidDatkid Posts: 430 Member
    How many were pirated?
    Hahaha your siggy goes great with your comment!
    Have a look at my gallery yeah? JUMANJIKID
    ap2le.gif
  • Options
    Asuka7794Asuka7794 Posts: 1,431 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    How many were pirated?

We don't actually know, but The Sims 4 was pirated heavily enough that the blur effect was all over the news. So definitely plenty of people if it was picked up so easily by News Outlets.

How many times can you regenerate lamb chops? Delicious.
    qpqjx1.jpg
  • Options
    TreycoxTreycox Posts: 79 Member
    > @Asuka7794 said:
    > jackjack_k wrote: »
    >
    > cauliflowers wrote: »
    >
    > How many were pirated?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > We don't actually know, but The Sims 4 was pirated heavily enough that the blur effect was all over the news. So definitely plenty of people if it was picked up so easily by News Outlets.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How many times can you regenerate lamb chops? Delicious.
    Dude...Really?
  • Options
    lady8janelady8jane Posts: 350 Member
    edited October 2014
    jadealix wrote: »
    They said they are working on it for Mac users now also, maybe once that Is released they will count those first week sales for Mac users. That does make a huge difference.

Honestly, I don't see that make much of a difference. The market-share of Macs is below 10%. Which means: More than 85% of all computer users own a Windows PC and not a Mac.

Edit: Now with data: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I'm going to plum in here to point out the obvious. If the sales were strong, there is no way they would have patched in ghosts for free. There is no way they'd add new careers for free. There is no way they would add pools for free. That's what you do when sales are weak and you are trying to bolster goodwill and up your sales figures.

For the facts, we're just going to have to wait for their earnings call. It should be taking place at the end of this month.

Um, no love :p If it was flopping, they would charge us money for it, to make up the money they lost.

Hot Tubs, Basements, Fountains, Pool Objects, Beach Lots, Deep Sea Swimming, Gardening (I could go on) were all new features PATCHED into The Sims 3. With your logic, The Sims 3 was flopping hard too.

---

They CLEARLY said Pools, Ghosts etc. weren't ready at LAUNCH but they were being worked on.
    Same with a lot of features The Sims 3 was supposed to have at launch.

If they have base game content included, they patch it in later. There will be DLC in the future, but unfinished base game content has always been patched in no matter what.

If they don't finish something in time, they never get rid of it and sell it later. They patch it in.

That's called game design. They had to patch those features in because they couldn't update the routing for some games and not others. But I see you clearly have a PhD in game design so I'll let you take it from here.

That could be the same about Pools etc. so that really has no point at all.
    If they offered those in an expansion instead, they would still have to patch it in for free with your logic?

So what point does that make lmao.

Because ghosts have nothing to do with routing. Please, just use some common sense when you think and type. Eventually, you will have an intelligent thought if you keep practicing. Jumping to conclusions never helps a situation.
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    Barbie wrote: »
    I think it was around 430,000 in the first week or something. Which beat out The Sims 3 in its first week. I'm not sure about right now though.

The sims 3 sold 1 million copies its first week and is the highest selling Sims game of all time and made it in PC magazine as the highest selling PC game of all time for 2009.....so not it did not sell LESS than that.....
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited October 2014
    Someone blamed 'piracy' for the fact that Sims 4 might not be selling as well as did Sims 3. Really?

Sims 3: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-3

Sims 4: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-4

Am I saying one is better than the other? Nope. That's purely opinion. Just saying that IF sales are less for Sims 4 than they were for Sims 3 (we don't know), it might be because of factors other than 'piracy'.
    Crackseed wrote: »
    While piracy hurts games, using it as a cover to explain bad sales is just grasping for straws sadly.

You guys missed the point.

I'm saying Piracy is HIGHER than it was in 2009. If the Sims 4 has bad sales, it has bad sales. But if it is slightly behind The Sims 3 in sales, Piracy is a factor.

Reviews are useless. Look at Destiny's reviews. Then look at it's sales.

The Sims 3 is in the top ten most pirated games ever. The number one most pirated game ever is CoD Black Ops.

Not one title in the top ten most pirated games is newer than 2010.

[img]http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/throne_of_lies_elf.gif[/img]

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Sims 2 was the highest selling game of all time - not Sims 3. Also any sales numbers you see are just for the physical copies of the game. No one has anyway to check Origin - but I can tell you they are not shabby numbers by no means as the stockholders are very satisfied from what I have been seeing and they usually don't have much to say at all about Sims games. I think it had to do with all the negative posts and reviewers writing about how upset the fans were with missing content - that made them start looking into the sims. I can't say exactly - as they have not ever said much about the sims - other than ask if it would come on on time - since Sims 1 - they said far less about Sims 2 , and almost nothing about Sims 3. It is as if the Sims is an afterthought to the big stock holders. But they seem to be watching Sims 4 now - a few are anyway - but seem satisfied. Well they were delighted about more than ever going digital. Which does not make me happy of course as I like my physical copy. I just wish they would share the numbers if they know them, as I am curious. I do know a lot of simmers who never like the direction Sims 3 went and went back to Sims 2 - did buy Sims 4 - in fact just about every one I knew of that didn't go for Sims 3 - is now playing Sims 4 - so they may make up for the Sims 3 players that did not move to 4. I am guessing that it might have evened up the sales perhaps and maybe sale wise Sims 3 and Sims 4 are doing about the same. But who knows.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Sims 2 was the highest selling game of all time - not Sims 3.

Yes, TS2 sold more copies on just about every console known to man at the time, including handheld.

TS3 had higher PC sales.
  • Options
    Asuka7794Asuka7794 Posts: 1,431 Member
    Treycox wrote: »
    > @Asuka7794 said:<br />
    > jackjack_k wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > cauliflowers wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > How many were pirated?<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > We don't actually know, but The Sims 4 was pirated heavily enough that the blur effect was all over the news. So definitely plenty of people if it was picked up so easily by News Outlets.<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > How many times can you regenerate lamb chops? Delicious.<br />
    Dude...Really?

Yes enter my mouth sheeplings.
  • Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    Have we had any actual figures yet?
  • Options
    CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Rinilex wrote: »

We have not :(
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member

We have not :(

That says it all, really.
  • Options
    DuncarinDuncarin Posts: 362 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I just wish they would share the numbers if they know them, as I am curious. I do know a lot of simmers who never like the direction Sims 3 went and went back to Sims 2 - did buy Sims 4 - in fact just about every one I knew of that didn't go for Sims 3 - is now playing Sims 4 - so they may make up for the Sims 3 players that did not move to 4. I am guessing that it might have evened up the sales perhaps and maybe sale wise Sims 3 and Sims 4 are doing about the same. But who knows.
    If this was correct we would have heard the numbers by now. EA and the other major publishers are never shy about good sales.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Asuka7794 wrote: »
    Treycox wrote: »
    > @Asuka7794 said:<br />
    > jackjack_k wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > cauliflowers wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > How many were pirated?<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > We don't actually know, but The Sims 4 was pirated heavily enough that the blur effect was all over the news. So definitely plenty of people if it was picked up so easily by News Outlets.<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > How many times can you regenerate lamb chops? Delicious.<br />
    Dude...Really?

Yes enter my mouth sheeplings.

• Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2014
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    I read the first five pages of this thread, and then my head exploded. LOL. I've never seen the words "CALM DOWN" used so much in a single thread in my life. :p
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Someone blamed 'piracy' for the fact that Sims 4 might not be selling as well as did Sims 3. Really?

Am I saying one is better than the other? Nope. That's purely opinion. Just saying that IF sales are less for Sims 4 than they were for Sims 3 (we don't know), it might be because of factors other than 'piracy'.
    While piracy hurts games, using it as a cover to explain bad sales is just grasping for straws sadly.

I'm saying Piracy is HIGHER than it was in 2009. If the Sims 4 has bad sales, it has bad sales. But if it is slightly behind The Sims 3 in sales, Piracy is a factor.

Review aren't useless. Destiny scored better in the aggregate of critics, and about 55-58% higher (than did Sims 4) in the user reviews. Of course it was also released on multiple platforms, many of which are starving for shiny, new games to play.

If its sales are slightly behind those of Sims 3, you cannot credibly blame piracy, not unless you can demonstrate that 1) more people actually pirated it than they did Sims 3, and 2) that the pirates would have bought Sims 4 were it not for the fact that they had the ability to pirate the game. Otherwise, we might as well speculate on a variety of reason why our favorite game did/not not sell well (or as well) as we'd like it to. Why not blame the bogeyman..we can't prove he doesn't exist. Maybe he's running around slaughtering potential customers (he might be a Sims 4 'hater'). Who knows?

You claimed that Sims 4's sales number would be impacted by piracy more than would Sims 3's sales numbers,implying that if piracy were as 'rampant' (my words) in 2009 as it was today, that Sims 3 would not have sold as many copies. I noted that one game had awesome reviews, Sims 3, the other had 'tepid' reviews, at best. I then went on to say that IF sales for Sims 4 don't exceed those for Sims 3, it could be because one game was better than the other. I know it's a cray concept- great games (again, judging by reviews) do better sales-wise than do mediocre ones. Keep in mind that popular, big selling games are often pirated. Big sales indicate there is demand for the product. That demand is satisfied by both legal and illegal means.

One last thing: Sims 4 likely benefited from the fact that most games can now be digitally downloaded. Would Sims 3 have had better sales numbers that first month if this were the case?
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    psychotrip1psychotrip1 Posts: 237 Member

No, but people on both sides are using VGChartz (which is notoriously inaccurate) to justify how great/terrible the game is selling.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12696591/#Comment_12696591
    As I've posted elsewhere - any feedback both negative (how else is the team going to know what you don't like?!) and positive are welcome - just no fights/flames/trolls and you're good :) thanks.

• Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member

No, but people on both sides are using VGChartz (which is notoriously inaccurate) to justify how great/terrible the game is selling.
    If we were to use the same source (VGChartz) it would say that the Sims 3 only sold 320k, in the first week, meaning that the Sims 4 sold more......

Yeah, I really wish people would stop using VGChartz to justify things..
  • Options

If we were to use the same source (VGChartz) it would say that the Sims 3 only sold 320k, in the first week, meaning that the Sims 4 sold more......

Yeah, I really wish people would stop using VGChartz to justify things..

You got a source that can substantiate 320k?

• Options
    abe70280abe70280 Posts: 519 Member

Review aren't useless. Destiny scored better in the aggregate of critics, and about 55-58% higher (than did Sims 4) in the user reviews. Of course it was also released on multiple platforms, many of which are starving for shiny, new games to play.

If its sales are slightly behind those of Sims 3, you cannot credibly blame piracy, not unless you can demonstrate that 1) more people actually pirated it than they did Sims 3, and 2) that the pirates would have bought Sims 4 were it not for the fact that they had the ability to pirate the game. Otherwise, we might as well speculate on a variety of reason why our favorite game did/not not sell well (or as well) as we'd like it to. Why not blame the bogeyman..we can't prove he doesn't exist. Maybe he's running around slaughtering potential customers (he might be a Sims 4 'hater'). Who knows?

You claimed that Sims 4's sales number would be impacted by piracy more than would Sims 3's sales numbers,implying that if piracy were as 'rampant' (my words) in 2009 as it was today, that Sims 3 would not have sold as many copies. I noted that one game had awesome reviews, Sims 3, the other had 'tepid' reviews, at best. I then went on to say that IF sales for Sims 4 don't exceed those for Sims 3, it could be because one game was better than the other. I know it's a cray concept- great games (again, judging by reviews) do better sales-wise than do mediocre ones. Keep in mind that popular, big selling games are often pirated. Big sales indicate there is demand for the product. That demand is satisfied by both legal and illegal means.

One last thing: Sims 4 likely benefited from the fact that most games can now be digitally downloaded. Would Sims 3 have had better sales numbers that first month if this were the case?

It's useless that you wrote all this stuff since @jackjack_k wont understand any of it and will stray so far off with his reply you'd forgot what it is you're actually saying to him is all about. Yeah he has a problem.

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited October 2014

Reviews are useless when it comes to them reflecting sales.
    Destiny had the highest debut for a new IP for ages, YET it still got the standard reviews for a AAA game.
    With the logic that Reviews reflect sales, Destiny should have been in the 90's.

The Last Of Us for PS3/PS4 was the most critically acclaimed game in years, yet it's total sales haven't even passed GTA V's first week sales.

Reviews can factor someone buying the game or not, but they are useless in determining how much a game sells.

----

I never "blamed" piracy I said it was a FACTOR to consider if the sales were behind than the Sims 3, I NEVER said that The Sims 4 was selling poorly because of Piracy.

If the Sims 4 sells badly, it's because people didn't want the game. But to expect it to outsell the Sims 3 when Piracy is worse, is something to CONSIDER.

Try understanding what I write next time. I've made it perfectly clear.

tumblr_mps373YMcd1s1qhm8o1_500.gif

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    abe70280 wrote: »

It's useless that you wrote all this stuff since @jackjack_k wont understand any of it and will stray so far off with his reply you'd forgot what it is you're actually saying to him is all about. Yeah he has a problem.

That whole quote was actually taking things at face value and not in context.

People twisting me words.

tumblr_mps373YMcd1s1qhm8o1_500.gif