Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Much Has The Sims 4 Sold Thus Far?

Comments

• Options
    JSitala_28JSitala_28 Posts: 1,016 Member
    smoogie wrote: »
    How many sales? What about how many refunds and cancelled preorders?

Ha! Yes, they most probably won't tell you about the refunds. Just the sales

• Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    Sugarysim wrote: »

I'm personally not desperate to know, I tend to care more about sales when it comes to MMO's because sales will effect how busy the game is generally, and I love running around in busy MMO's, but sims not so much because of its single player nature, that said I am curious, and it would be pretty funny if it turns out Sims 4 has out-sold Sims 3

You should care. Less sales = life support/less content
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    abe70280 wrote: »
    Not a fanatic. I just prefer 4 to 3.

i really dont give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if you prefer atari gaming over say the PS4. Does not change the fact that Sims 4 sales numbers are nowhere near what the Sims 3 has sold in its first 10 days.

Actually the only figures we have, show the Sims 4 retail figures higher than the Sims 3 retail figures.
    So, no. We don't know how much digital sales the Sims 4 sold. So it's possible it came close.

Also piracy is much higher than it was 5 years ago.

---

Also, the 18 million fans comment on the front page includes the CAS demo downloads.
  • Options
    JSitala_28 wrote: »
    smoogie wrote: »
    How many sales? What about how many refunds and cancelled preorders?

Ha! Yes, they most probably won't tell you about the refunds. Just the sales

Refunds don't count towards sales. They are not a sale. Sales are only counted once the refund period is over.

They will count how many copies of the game were shipped though.
  • Options
    LadyDarkSorrowLadyDarkSorrow Posts: 2,865 Member
    they haven't made the mac version to the game yet..you can add that to the sell list when completed
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I'm going to plum in here to point out the obvious. If the sales were strong, there is no way they would have patched in ghosts for free. There is no way they'd add new careers for free. There is no way they would add pools for free. That's what you do when sales are weak and you are trying to bolster goodwill and up your sales figures.

For the facts, we're just going to have to wait for their earnings call. It should be taking place at the end of this month.

Not to rain on your cynical world view, but this practice is actually fairly common these days.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Not on their cash cow where they milk us dry.

If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words, but as someone who has been around for a while, free gifts means not doing so well.
  • Options
    ArkansasWoman777ArkansasWoman777 Posts: 601 Member
    Barbie wrote: »
    I think it was around 430,000 in the first week or something. Which beat out The Sims 3 in its first week. I'm not sure about right now though.

Um according to Wiki and Cnet: The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week, making it the largest release in PC gaming history at the time.[4] The game has sold over 10 million copies worldwide since its release.

So...you are wrong....really wrong
    i7 6700k, 1tb ssd, Rx MSI 480 8gb, Evga 750G2, Corsair H100i V2, 16gb of ram
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words, but as someone who has been around for a while, free gifts means not doing so well.

I don't know for sure, but as I said, extensive patching and new features (limited ones, at least) for free is fairly common these days, though it is more common in Indie games.
    Of course then the argument can be made that they instead released an open beta to the public, but that's a different argument.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    they haven't made the mac version to the game yet..you can add that to the sell list when completed

won't add much to the total mac makes a tiny % of the sales and most of them have just bought it and play it on bootcamp

• Options
    baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    I'm going to plum in here to point out the obvious. If the sales were strong, there is no way they would have patched in ghosts for free. There is no way they'd add new careers for free. There is no way they would add pools for free. That's what you do when sales are weak and you are trying to bolster goodwill and up your sales figures.

For the facts, we're just going to have to wait for their earnings call. It should be taking place at the end of this month.

Not to rain on your cynical world view, but this practice is actually fairly common these days.

it's common because companies are now taking short cuts with games and releasing unfinished products

it's just damage control... could you imagine if they tried to sell pools in a expansion pack.. the forum would break from the rage
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I don't know for sure, but as I said, extensive patching and new features (limited ones, at least) for free is fairly common these days, though it is more common in Indie games.
    Of course then the argument can be made that they instead released an open beta to the public, but that's a different argument.

Well, you said it yourself, Indie companies do that. The reason being that they are building a community and HAVE to give away features in order to attract new customers. EA is nowhere near indie and they have been milking this series dry since TS2. They know that simmers give them all the money they have and they take advantage of it. Why would that change? They fell short on expected sales. What could they do to encourage sales? The same thing indie developers do, give away major features for free. And ghosts and pools and careers are major features. They all require a large number of animations and interactions.
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    This again just wait from EA official announcement !
  • Options
    abe70280abe70280 Posts: 519 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

i really dont give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if you prefer atari gaming over say the PS4. Does not change the fact that Sims 4 sales numbers are nowhere near what the Sims 3 has sold in its first 10 days.

Actually the only figures we have, show the Sims 4 retail figures higher than the Sims 3 retail figures.
    So, no. We don't know how much digital sales the Sims 4 sold. So it's possible it came close.

---

Also, the 18 million fans comment on the front page includes the CAS demo downloads.

please dont include intangibles if you're going to argue. I dont care if piracy is 1000% higher now than it was 5 years ago. We're discussing actual sales numbers. If you're going to make excuses like this then we might as well not talk about anything.

EA released a sales figure of 1.4m copies sold in the first 10 days of the Sims 3 being live. EA didnt release the sales figure of Sims 4. So what we do have is hard evidence of the actual Sims 3 sales on its first 10 days according to EA but not for Sims 4. Now if you're going to use the sales figure on vgcharts on the Sims 4 first week sales minus 3 days to make a 10 day tally, then NO, its not even close to 1m let alone 1.4m. Now you could say that vgcharts is unreliable but unfortunately that is the only source we have right now for comparison. And that is what I was talking about in my post when you decided to insert intangibles into the argument.

So... you're wrong, again... which does not surprise me btw, given your track record.

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member

Those free updates have a different purpose, they are designed to keep the customer happy and like carrots, EA/Maxis know there are people unhappy with Sims 4 so what do you do? You dangle a carrot because if EA/Maxis do nothing to keep people interested they will do one or two things, drop the Sims and move on to something else or buy a different game that might interest them. They did it in SimCity what is stopping them from doing it here. However, If EA/Maxis do see the customer as being first, by releasing that update it is a good start but it is not over and they have to keep up the momentum. Sims 3 Base overall sold more than Sims 4 in it's first week because of the new features, It does not work for Sims 4 because of the features that was cut out and some people were used to what Sims 3 offered and the following game should at least expand on the previous game and at the same time add new features. Sims 4 formula is not all new it is a mixture of old and new. EA/Maxis by cutting out some of those features have limited how well the new EPs are going to play out looking at what Sims 4 has to offer because they can't go outside of the engine's capabilities.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    cooli02000cooli02000 Posts: 1,974 Member
    VGChartz isn't an accurate source :)
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    JSitala_28 wrote: »
    Barbie wrote: »
    I think it was around 430,000 in the first week or something. Which beat out The Sims 3 in its first week. I'm not sure about right now though.

I'll tell you this much. I had never even heard of the Sims before they started advertising Sims 4 on the Internet. So that tells me they didn't spend anywhere near as much to advertise Sims 3 when it came out. I would have seen at least one ad for Sims 3 and I didn't see ANYTHING!!!!

You were not paying attention then. The Sims4 advertising is non-existent compared to the advertising blitz of Sims3:

Electronic Arts first announced The Sims 3 on March 19, 2008. The game was developed at The Sims Studio located in Redwood Shores, California. On January 15, 2009, EA invited "some of the best" custom content creators to their campus at Redwood Shores where they were hosting a Creator's Camp. Creators have been invited to spend the week exploring and creating content like Sims, houses and customized content. The Creators' work is used to pre-populate The Sims 3 Exchange. In the seventh expansion pack for The Sims 2, The Sims 2: FreeTime, an event occurs in which a Sim-version of Rod Humble, the head of The Sims franchise, gives the player's Sim family an unopened gift box. When opened, the family gets a computer with The Sims 3 on it. The Sims 3 game cannot be bought in the catalog. Sims can then play The Sims 3 on their computers or console systems. Like all the other games that Sims can play in The Sims 2, The Sims 3 is a looping gameplay video shown on the player's Sim's computer screens when played by a Sim. On July 15, 2008 the first video preview of The Sims 3 appeared on the official website as did seven new screenshots and five Create-A-Sim screens. Four screenshots that appeared on the website and were then taken down soon after, leaked onto the Internet by a member of the community.

Copies of the video game Spore also came packaged with fliers advertising the game, with information stating whole-neighborhood accessibility and endless possibilities on character creation. On October 31, 2008, two teaser trailers were released by Electronic Arts featuring a comical view on the 2008 presidential election in the United States. Candidates John McCain and Barack Obama were included along with respective running mates Sarah Palin and Joe Biden. In the eighth expansion pack of The Sims 2, The Sims 2: Apartment Life, new objects were added including logo posters and framed screenshots. The game was shipped with a code and an Internet address, where the player could download clothing with The Sims 3 logo on it. Another developer walk through was released on November 6, 2008, featuring in-depth previews of the neighborhood and Create-A-Sim.

On May 8, 2009, EA announced that The Sims 3 had gone gold meaning that the game had finished beta testing stage and was off for manufacturing ahead of its June 2009 release. On May 15, 2009 EA released some online interactive teaser experiences on The Sims 3 Website, including 'SimFriend', which allows users to choose a virtual Sim Friend who would email them throughout the day. 'SimSocial', which allows users to create their own Sim online, and have an adventure with them. 'SimSidekick', which allows users to surf the web with a sim. Two weeks before the game was scheduled to be released, a pirated version of the digital distribution version of the game leaked onto the Internet.[13] EA later commented the leak was a "buggy, pre-final" version. EA claims that more than half of the game is missing and is susceptible to crashes or worse.[14] Reportedly, the title has seen higher piracy rates than that of the most pirated game of 2008, Spore.

In April 2009, Electronic Arts began to post billboards in many areas in advertisement for the game. Many of the billboards covered skyscrapers in densely populated areas, most notably Times Square in New York City. The costs of these billboards was estimated to be $10 million a month. This marketing campaign proved successful, as The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in its first week, breaking the record for all EA games.

On March 23, 2009, the look and feel of The Sims 3 was threaded throughout the storyline of an episode of The CW series One Tree Hill. On screen, the episode opens in an idealized Sims version of One Tree Hill and then transitions into the real Tree Hill. As this episode plays out, Sims versions of popular One Tree Hill characters are introduced and then morph into the real-life characters, including Dan (Paul Johansson), Lucas (Chad Michael Murray) and Peyton (Hilarie Burton).

The Sims 3 versions of the characters are available for download via CW's official website. On April 19, 2009, Target exclusively released a promotional disc of The Sims 3 that features a Ladytron band poster, The Sims 3 theme song music download, and a $5 off coupon. The main menu includes screensaver downloads, videos, Create-A-Sim, Create-A-House, and much more. There is no actual gameplay involved, but it describes what playing feels like.

On July 14, 2010, Ford Motor began a promotion at The Sims 3 Store by allowing players to download their newest car at the time, the Ford Fiesta Mark VI. The car also came with a collection of street signs. On October 27, 2010, the download was updated to include the Fiesta Hatchback. The 2012 Ford Focus was made available to download on June 8, 2011. The car included one male Ford t-shirt, one female Ford t-shirt, a stereo, and a set of neon lights, all for use in-game. The Focus pack was available to download on Mac, Xbox, and PlayStation platforms.
    =============
    (from wiki)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    I am not talking about vgchartz. I am talking about the general feel of denial.

A "General feel of denial" is not proof of anything. I have a 'feeling' that I've got a billion dollars invested in my name. Doesn't make it true. As others keep saying, EA hasn't announced their sales publicly yet. That's not unusual. Sure, Sims4 probably isn't a blockbuster, but you nor anyone else, has a clue to the real numbers.
  • Options
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    Sugarysim wrote: »

I'm personally not desperate to know, I tend to care more about sales when it comes to MMO's because sales will effect how busy the game is generally, and I love running around in busy MMO's, but sims not so much because of its single player nature, that said I am curious, and it would be pretty funny if it turns out Sims 4 has out-sold Sims 3

You should care. Less sales = life support/less content

Actually, history has shown that less sales = more content.

Look at The Sims 2 vs The Sims 3. The Sims 3 hit 10 million and sales pretty much stopped in 2011. The Sims 3 still hasn't sold more than 10 million. But to try and increase sales, EA released a new EP every 3 months, instead of every 6 months.

They try to get people to buy the game, rather than move onto the next one. Making more EP's is cheaper than building a whole new game from scratch.
  • Options

---

please dont include intangibles if you're going to argue. I dont care if piracy is 1000% higher now than it was 5 years ago. We're discussing actual sales numbers. If you're going to make excuses like this then we might as well not talk about anything.

EA released a sales figure of 1.4m copies sold in the first 10 days of the Sims 3 being live. EA didnt release the sales figure of Sims 4. So what we do have is hard evidence of the actual Sims 3 sales on its first 10 days according to EA but not for Sims 4. Now if you're going to use the sales figure on vgcharts on the Sims 4 first week sales minus 3 days to make a 10 day tally, then NO, its not even close to 1m let alone 1.4m. Now you could say that vgcharts is unreliable but unfortunately that is the only source we have right now for comparison. And that is what I was talking about in my post when you decided to insert intangibles into the argument.

So... you're wrong, again... which does not surprise me btw, given your track record.

Okay I'm going to make this really easy for you to understand.

If you use VG Chartz numbers for The Sims 4 you CANNOT compare them with EA numbers. VG Chartz are Retail Copies. The Sims 4 sold more retail copies. FACT.

AND you're also looking pretty deluded because EA only announced the Sims 3 figures 10 days later, BECAUSE it was their end of quarter report.
    We have to wait for the end of quarter report for the Sims 4.

So the only one looking stupid is you, comparing numbers from two different sources because it suits you, and thinking that the Sims 4 flopped hard because EA didn't announce it broke records.

UNTIL you provide PROOF, you are just making assumptions. End of.
  • Options
    KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    Yo again don't stress yourself to an heart attack, we will just waiting for the official announcement from EA !
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Um, no love :p If it was flopping, they would charge us money for it, to make up the money they lost.

Hot Tubs, Basements, Fountains, Pool Objects, Beach Lots, Deep Sea Swimming, Gardening (I could go on) were all new features PATCHED into The Sims 3. With your logic, The Sims 3 was flopping hard too.

---

They CLEARLY said Pools, Ghosts etc. weren't ready at LAUNCH but they were being worked on.
    Same with a lot of features The Sims 3 was supposed to have at launch.

If they have base game content included, they patch it in later. There will be DLC in the future, but unfinished base game content has always been patched in no matter what.

If they don't finish something in time, they never get rid of it and sell it later. They patch it in.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    The Sims 3 hit 10 million and sales pretty much stopped in 2011. The Sims 3 still hasn't sold more than 10 million.

How do you know how Sims3 has sold in the last 3 years? Do you have sales figures for that?

And the figure of 10 M is from wiki but that was based on an article that came out in 2011...3 years ago:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2011/04/06/the-sims-live-life-to-the-fullest-in-eas-the-sims-3-generations-expansion-pack

But to try and increase sales, EA released a new EP every 3 months, instead of every 6 months.

Not quite accurate, but close.

World Adventures - November 17, 2009
    (7 months)
    Ambitions - June 1, 2010
    (4 months)
    Late Night - October 26, 2010
    (7 months)
    Generations - May 31, 2011
    (5 months)
    Pets - October 18, 2011
    (5 months)
    Showtime - March 6, 2012
    (6 months)
    Supernatural - September 4, 2012
    (2 months)
    Seasons - November 13, 2012
    (4 months)
    University Life - March 5, 2013
    (3 months)
    Island Paradise - June 25, 2013
    (4 months)
    Into the Future - October 22, 2013

11 expansions
    47 months between expansions

=4.27 months between EPs

:)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    lady8janelady8jane Posts: 350 Member

---

AND you're also looking pretty deluded because EA only announced the Sims 3 figures 10 days later, BECAUSE it was their end of quarter report.
    We have to wait for the end of quarter report for the Sims 4.

This is where you can find the next quarter report once it is available: http://investor.ea.com/index.cfm

They usually do a live call to explain the numbers, if you have the time, listen in. It's sometimes quite interesting.